• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Moderating in the Age of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Very well said, Jeff. Thank you!

There are too many poorly disguised political posts and opinions posted. I much prefer to be in my own happy space where we don't argue over who is wrong/right about the virus. We have one common enemy which is COVID-19. We all have our own comfort level in staying home vs. going out. I care about what I do and you do what you want to do. No matter how much you tell me or I tell you whose action is right, it is not going to change the other person's mind. All these arguments and posts are due to people having too much time on their hands.

I recently shared this with a friend: "Never, in the history of calming down, did anyone calm down by being told to calm down." :)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, and if they still are spewing their divisive political opinions and nasty political memes after 30 days, I put them on ignore. I’m not on Facebook for politics.
I'm with you. My former CIO and then COO of a large Fortune 50 high tech company spews politically divisive opinions on his FB posts regularly and I have dropped him from from my feed altogether. No, thank you. Some of my ex-colleagues who were also senior staff from the same company would post on MY timeline asking me for political opinion and I ignore them. I don't post anything political on my FB page or anyone's FB's page and they decided it was alright to ask me through my FB page. It was one thing when we sat around the lunch table while we were at work having a political discussion but another thing to get into my personal space on FB.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm with you. My former CIO and then COO of a large Fortune 50 high tech company spews politically divisive opinions on his FB posts regularly and I have dropped him from from my feed altogether. No, thank you. Some of my ex-colleagues who were also senior staff from the same company would post on MY timeline asking me for political opinion and I ignore them. I don't post anything political on my FB page or anyone's FB's page and they decided it was alright to ask me through my FB page. It was one thing when we sat around the lunch table while we were at work having a political discussion but another thing to get into my personal space on FB.

I agree. FB for me is mainly about jokes, recipes, and cat videos. Politics has no place on MY feed. My world, my rules. :)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree. FB for me is mainly about jokes, recipes, and cat videos. Politics has no place on MY feed. My world, my rules. :)

Dave
I just joined a fan group for Survivor on Facebook. :D

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This will end. But meanwhile, if a thread really riles you, just don't open it. There's enough wrong to add to your stress.

Jim

I usually don’t open threads that would rile me but look at the thread list. There are so many that are obviously political and don’t belong. Then there are others that start out fine and then take a quick turn.

Why have the rule if they are going to be allowed. We may as well just open up to politics then. Just don’t open the thread. I just don’t think that is what TUG has been all these years.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
That is a pretty dog breed. :)

Cavalier owners are extremely loyal to the breed. I have hundreds of Cavalier friends and they post daily. I just love looking at the dogs especially the puppies. As you may know, I have three Cavaliers myself. It is not only a pretty dog breed but also one of the most lovable and expressive dog breeds. Their eyes and faces tell you exactly how they feel. I fell in love with their long ears which I have since learned is a liability as they fall into their food and are hard to brush. :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Cavalier owners are extremely loyal to the breed. I have hundreds of Cavalier friends and they post daily. I just love looking at the dogs especially the puppies. As you may know, I have three Cavaliers myself. It is not only a pretty dog breed but also one of the most lovable and expressive dog breeds. Their eyes and faces tell you exactly how they feel. I fell in love with their long ears which I have since learned is a liability as they fall into their food and are hard to brush. :)

They are so beautiful. Such sweet faces. I wouldn't be able to resist those eyes and would probably end up overfeeding them treats.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I recently shared this with a friend: "Never, in the history of calming down, did anyone calm down by being told to calm down." :)

Dave
My husband's version of this, which also doesn't work, is "get a hold of yourself ". Yeah, that's not helpful. :p So I won't tell anyone to get a hold of themselves on TUG.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My husband's version of this, which also doesn't work, is "get a hold of yourself ". Yeah, that's not helpful. :p So I won't tell anyone to get a hold of themselves on TUG.

Telling people who have lost a job “at least you are alive“ is not helpful either.

Brett

Reaction score
I really thought TUG rules were suspended or changed with all these Virus posts. It was an obvious change on what was being allowed . I believe I remember Brian posting about memberships down and reviews being down and I thought maybe it was decided to allow people to vent about the frustrations of the affects this virus is taking on people.

It has gotten so bad people are starting threads by just posting links that say Trump Says, Pelosi says. How would that not be political? Once we start talking about the virus it gets into how it’s being handled and who is wrong. It’s a political topic. So I totally agree close the threads that you see fit to.

I agree with @klpca, that post is dead on.

I think we should close all the virus threads, They are all political and per the rules don’t belong on TUG. If a person finds value in those types of threads, the internet is full of them. If you want to talk to TUG people about them, invite the to another site to do it or have private conversations.

Now, my Thank You to all the moderators and all the time they put in to make this site what it is!!:cheer:

the moderators must do a good job - I've actually never seen a post started by "Trump says" or "Pelosi says"
it's usually the "dog whistle" post .... e.g. - a post that says most people dislike _______ (person) or the ______ (organization/ person) is a total failure
then the fur flies !!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the moderators must do a good job - I've actually never seen a post started by "Trump says" or "Pelosi says"
it's usually a "dog whistle" post .... e.g. a post that says most people dislike _______ (person) or the ______ (organization/ person) is a total failure
then the fur flies !!

I have not seen many posts with political implications in the title. The politics usually become obvious once I start reading the article. But even then, it rarely bothers me. I am a big girl and can handle political posts.

Brett

Reaction score
I have not seen many posts with political implications in the title. The politics usually become obvious once I start reading the article. But even then, it rarely bothers me. I am a big girl and can handle political posts.

right, we're all big and can handle politics but the problem is "contentious social issues" are never ending ...... :(
and it's not really productive ;)
(nor conducive to good relationships )

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
it's usually the "dog whistle" post .... e.g. - a post that says most people dislike _______ (person) or the ______ (organization/ person) is a total failure
then the fur flies !!

* Warning may contain what many see as debatable language.

Okay, should the moderators read every post? How would they know what is going to be debatable and what's not?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
right, we're all big and can handle politics but the problem is "contentious social issues" are never ending ...... :(
and it's not really productive ;)
(nor conducive to good relationships )

I am just saying it really does not bother me if someone expresses a political opinion. What does bother me are all the judgmental/shaming posts and the bullying/insulting posts.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
then the fur flies !!

They are out there and the links to the articles are included. They are political and against TUG rules just like the way many of the other virus threads have turned.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just saying it really does not bother me if someone expresses a political opinion. What does bother me are all the judgmental/shaming posts and the bullying/insulting posts.

And therein lies the problem! :clap:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The point isn’t who Is a big boy or girl. They are against TUG rules.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The point isn’t who Is a big boy or girl. They are against TUG rules.

Yes, I agree. My comment was that it does not bother me personally, but if is against TUG rules, it should be shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.