• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Missouri AG files suit against timeshare exit company

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never surprised with the timeshare business, usually founded on lies and end in lies. Not everyone is fortunate enough to find tug and benefit from their timeshare. amazed how people pay 40k on something and can’t give it away. I am so grateful to Brian and TUG.

jimdpaulk

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, during our deed back process last year, we were first asked in writing if we were”dealing with a third party,” and we answered “no.” We were then admonished that the process would be halted if we did so. The process took longer than we expected, but because the purchase was made in two parts, we had to submit forms for each which took us time to understand what they needed. With people working from home during the process, this added a little time, but bottom line, we got it done.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
exit companies simply charge you to do things you can do yourself for free or for far less and every one we have ever seen or heard reported charges staggering upfront fees for their "assistance". Many even simply tell you to stop paying...after all that is the only 100% guaranteed way to exit your timeshare. Surely if that were something you were considering you wouldnt have to pay a company hundreds or thousands of dollars.

so our golden rule still stands. you should avoid any company that expects you to pay a large upfront fee to buy/sell/get you out of your timeshare. following this rule will protect you from quite literally 100% of the scammers that infest this space targeting owners looking to end their ownership.

STLBBB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone really pay attention to what the BBB says...

George

I hope you do pay attention to what BBB says because we work very hard at calling out companies that are not acting ethically in the marketplace. Our office in St. Louis works closely with the AG offices in both Missouri and Illinois. Over the past three years since the Springfield, Missouri BBB merged with our St. Louis office, we have done many investigations and consumer warnings - not to mention studies - on the timeshare industry in Missouri.

We believe that our sharing of information with the Missouri Attorney General's Office helped lead to this result. We also have assisted AGs in other states with timeshare-related filings.

We do good work for people every day.

George, if you can't realize that, I'm sorry. Nothing I can write here is going to change that.

hrmoreau

Reaction score
Thanks for Posting STLBBB. I appreciate what you do, but like others I don't understand why companies that have hundreds of complaints, have scammed thousands of people out of millions of dollars and are under investigation by the Attorney General can still have A-B ratings. I think the BBB needs to change their algorithms to protect the public who is counting on their trust.

Perhaps your office is different than all the rest of the BBB offices?

Thanks for posting here!

I hope you do pay attention to what BBB says because we work very hard at calling out companies that are not acting ethically in the marketplace. Our office in St. Louis works closely with the AG offices in both Missouri and Illinois. Over the past three years since the Springfield, Missouri BBB merged with our St. Louis office, we have done many investigations and consumer warnings - not to mention studies - on the timeshare industry in Missouri.

We believe that our sharing of information with the Missouri Attorney General's Office helped lead to this result. We also have assisted AGs in other states with timeshare-related filings.

We do good work for people every day.

George, if you can't realize that, I'm sorry. Nothing I can write here is going to change that.

STLBBB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for Posting STLBBB. I appreciate what you do, but like others I don't understand why companies that have hundreds of complaints, have scammed thousands of people out of millions of dollars and are under investigation by the Attorney General can still have A-B ratings. I think the BBB needs to change their algorithms to protect the public who is counting on their trust.

Perhaps your office is different than all the rest of the BBB offices?

Thanks for posting here!
Thank you for the kind words. Not to hijack the thread, but here is how BBB grades are determined - https://www.bbb.org/overview-of-bbb-ratings

jimdpaulk

TUG Member
Reaction score
exit companies simply charge you to do things you can do yourself for free or for far less and every one we have ever seen or heard reported charges staggering upfront fees for their "assistance". Many even simply tell you to stop paying...after all that is the only 100% guaranteed way to exit your timeshare. Surely if that were something you were considering you wouldnt have to pay a company hundreds or thousands of dollars.

so our golden rule still stands. you should avoid any company that expects you to pay a large upfront fee to buy/sell/get you out of your timeshare. following this rule will protect you from quite literally 100% of the scammers that infest this space targeting owners looking to end their ownership.
My understanding is, here is what sometimes happens, the exit company asks for a certain fee upfront which the owner expects to be the total cost to get out of their timeshare. However, it seems, there is often a reason to ask for more, and the owner is told that the process is about done. This can go on for months, more, more, more, and each time the owner usually pays the additional amount because they are committed to get out from under. We have heard of owners paying hugh amounts to an exit company. Brian is 100% right, do it yourself. Do your research, don’t let emotion get you into a difficult predicament. If you aren’t a member of TUG, please join.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Thank you for the kind words. Not to hijack the thread, but here is how BBB grades are determined - https://www.bbb.org/overview-of-bbb-ratings

Thanks STLBBB. So if I am reading this correctly actual customer reviews are not part of the rating algorithm. That is good because I have noticed that some shady/scam businesses that have been around for a very short time tend to have many more reviews (glowing of course) than billion dollar businesses that have been around for decades. Makes one wonder how many of those reviews are actually legit.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you do pay attention to what BBB says because we work very hard at calling out companies that are not acting ethically in the marketplace.

I think the qualm some people here on TUG have with the BBB is that the BBB accredits these TS scam companies in the first place. From what I understand (I could of course be wrong), a company can just pay the BBB a membership and start out with an A+ rating and the BBB is more than happy to accept the membership fee without vetting the company. I remember a number of years ago I had an upfront fee company call me and she started out by saying, "We have an A+ rating with the BBB." So either she was lying (which is entirely within the realm of possibility) or the BBB is accrediting a scam company.

The other qualm some here have is that if someone gets scammed by a BBB-accredited company, the only recourse that person has is to file a complaint with the BBB. All that filing does is give the company a lower rating. Then, after the company has been called out, it just shuts down and resurfaces under a new name and recycles the process. The BBB has no power to give the victim restitution or to have the scammer charged. All the victim really accomplishes is venting.

Reactions: RX8

STLBBB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks STLBBB. So if I am reading this correctly actual customer reviews are not part of the rating algorithm. That is good because I have noticed that some shady/scam businesses that have been around for a very short time tend to have many more reviews (glowing of course) than billion dollar businesses that have been around for decades. Makes one wonder how many of those reviews are actually legit.
Correct. Customer reviews have no factor in the rating algorithm.

STLBBB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the qualm some people here on TUG have with the BBB is that the BBB accredits these TS scam companies in the first place. From what I understand (I could of course be wrong), a company can just pay the BBB a membership and start out with an A+ rating and the BBB is more than happy to accept the membership fee without vetting the company. I remember a number of years ago I had an upfront fee company call me and she started out by saying, "We have an A+ rating with the BBB." So either she was lying (which is entirely within the realm of possibility) or the BBB is accrediting a scam company.

The other qualm some here have is that if someone gets scammed by a BBB-accredited company, the only recourse that person has is to file a complaint with the BBB. All that filing does is give the company a lower rating. Then, after the company has been called out, it just shuts down and resurfaces under a new name and recycles the process. The BBB has no power to give the victim restitution or to have the scammer charged. All the victim really accomplishes is venting.
You can not "buy" your BBB rating. To qualify for Accreditation, you need to have a rating of "B" or higher. If you were to start Lanny's Shop tomorrow, you would start with an A- rating, which is the baseline for all businesses. You would need to be in business for at least a year in order to rise to an "A+" rating. You could not become Accredited until you have been in business for at least six months. Let's say you sought Accreditation and were approved in month seven of operation. You wouldn't be eligible for that "A+" until you had a year in business.

You are correct that BBB has no power in ordering restitution on any complaint. The law enforcement arm in each state lies with the Attorney General's Office. We remind consumers of this and can give them information on how to file with the AG's Office. However, we often get resolutions where consumers get their money back.

As for the businesses that perform poorly under one business name and open under another, our office in St. Louis is aggressive in producing consumer warnings. In those warnings, we not only name the business, but also the business owner's name. We believe it is important that the owner's name is out there in case he/she decides to do what you have described. Our consumer warnings have a shelf life of 36 months online, which is as long as our complaints and customer reviews live until expiration. Our hope is that people do research on the company and its owners before doing business with them. Unfortunately, we mainly hear from consumers who may not have done all of the due diligence necessary prior to their purchase.

If you have any more questions about BBB, I would be happy to answer them.

AndySamuels

Reaction score
The profit margin on timeshare exit schemes must be very enticing. Aside from marketing expense all other expense is negligible.

Again: when people do not perform their due diligence they are asking to be scammed to an extent. When something is too good to be true in 99% of cases it is. And it is not like the timeshare exit scam is not abundantly documented.

What is sad is that some big names, like Dave Ramsey, provide a veneer of legitimacy to a service that is really an empty shell. IMO.