• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Microsoft is Devious

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
About a month ago or so I switched my IE setting from "automatic Updates" to where I manage them myself because Microsoft was attempting to groom my Windows 7 in preparation of me electing to install Windows 10 which I have no intention to do.

Now when I look at the Updates available they have one which says upgrade to Windows 10. Nothing wrong with that if the box was unchecked. Problem is the box is checked with means I have to be alert to uncheck it before downloading the updates I want. Microsoft should convince me to switch from Windows 7 to 10, not trick me into doing it.

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There was a opt-out option. But, I think it should have been opt-in instead. Windows 10 works great for me though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Downloaded windows 10 last week and I like what I see but I have issues with a couple of critical use programs. My stock trading platform does not function well. Very slow to load certain pages particularly the research side, but fortunately the buy/sell app functions as before. Have to work at adjusting settings to see if I can fix the bugs.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have no issues here with Win10, but don't use IE or Edge...
Instead, I use Chrome or Firefox.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I.E.?. edge?. What are these strange things you speak of...

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I've decided not to get Win10 because I've read about Microsoft being able to get data on what you have on your computer, etc., and invade your privacy whether you want them to or not.

Larry8181

Reaction score
I bought a new Samsung all in one computer 4 weeks ago with Windows 10. It has been running very smoothly for me. I'm still using Microsoft edge and have had no problems.

If you are happy with your current operating system I wouldn't change, but in my opinion windows ten is a solid choice.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've decided not to get Win10 because I've read about Microsoft being able to get data on what you have on your computer, etc., and invade your privacy whether you want them to or not.

All they gather is the performance of the operating system. They couldn't care less about what data you put on your system. Unlike the data miners at Google who sell that browsing and email history to paying customers. Ever wonder why when you use Chrome that you get ads about things you mention in posts- airlines you use, hotels you visit, items you've shopped for?

Microsoft has FAR go to catch up to Google in the use of your private data.

Jim

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think taterhed was being funny. As for me, when I changed from 8.1 to 10 I've noticed it seems to be noticeably slower to load. I have a touchscreen and as I use my finger to scroll, the screen keeps 'jumping' to a very small screen which I have to touch to bring it back. There's an update available which simply won't load and a couple of co-workers are having the same problem on the update. I'm hoping they get things worked out sooner than later.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I even use an ie tab emulator to avoid Microsoft browsers

Sent from my cell...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... and invade your privacy...

Privacy? What a quaint idea.
You can be photographed picking your nose at intersections, video-cams take movies of your pathetic attempts to park a car within the lines, Google Earth shows us close-up visuals of your unkempt yard (front + back), and with an address, I can find out the taxable value of your house, how long you've lived there, how much you paid for it, who holds the mortgage, and whether you're registered to vote as well as your party affiliation... What is "privacy?"

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
And edge is no better so far

Sent from my cell...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I give it (Edge browser) a quick test right after the install. Seem like it was still in beta stage.
W10 seems fine to me. Faster even.

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a fan of Windows 7, but despised Windows 8. Windows 8.1 was a very minor improvement over 8, but still a far cry from Windows 7.

We upgraded two of our three computers at home to Windows 10, and I love it. It's not just a "fix" like 8.1, but it's pretty obvious that they went back to the drawing board. There are a ton of new features that are actually useful, and it is visually and functionally much more like Windows 7.

The only thing holding me back from upgrading my main laptop to Windows 10 is that I want to have a really good backup first (which I should have anyway, but...) and I want to make sure I do it at the beginning of a period of time when I'll be at home and have a fair bit of free time, just in case anything goes wrong (which I doubt, based on my experience with the other two computers). That won't be until next year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am sitting at my desktop with Windows 7 and am so glad I have one computer with Windows 7.

The 8 was awful and I upgraded it, but I still have issues with my laptop. I rarely use the thing. I have other problems with it, too, but all of the issues might be my fault for not getting enough memory.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
About a month ago or so I switched my IE setting from "automatic Updates" to where I manage them myself because Microsoft was attempting to groom my Windows 7 in preparation of me electing to install Windows 10 which I have no intention to do.

Now when I look at the Updates available they have one which says upgrade to Windows 10. Nothing wrong with that if the box was unchecked. Problem is the box is checked with means I have to be alert to uncheck it before downloading the updates I want. Microsoft should convince me to switch from Windows 7 to 10, not trick me into doing it.

Let me take another shot at this. This morning I checked to see what updates were available. It showed 7 all of which said something like "Windows7 Security". I checked the boxes next to each of them but when I clicked to start the download process it said (in small type) that I was downloading 8 updates, 7 "Important" and 1 "Optional".

I aborted the operation to see what was going on. What happened is that when I checked to see what updates were available it showed me the "Important" screen. When I went to the "Optional" screen it showed 4 items, 3 were unchecked and 1, "Upgrade to Windows10" which was checked.

My point is this. Microsoft it trying to trick me into downloading Windows10 by pre-checking the box in the "Optional" screen that they don't show me unless I go and ask for it. It would have been easy for me to miss this and done something I didn't want to do. That is what I call devious!!

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Let me take another shot at this. This morning I checked to see what updates were available. It showed 7 all of which said something like "Windows7 Security". I checked the boxes next to each of them but when I clicked to start the download process it said (in small type) that I was downloading 8 updates, 7 "Important" and 1 "Optional".

I aborted the operation to see what was going on. What happened is that when I checked to see what updates were available it showed me the "Important" screen. When I went to the "Optional" screen it showed 4 items, 3 were unchecked and 1, "Upgrade to Windows10" which was checked.

My point is this. Microsoft it trying to trick me into downloading Windows10 by pre-checking the box in the "Optional" screen that they don't show me unless I go and ask for it. It would have been easy for me to miss this and done something I didn't want to do. That is what I call devious!!

George

I don't think W10 updates will install unless you have the 'optional/rec'd' box checked.... If you selected 'opt/rec'd' updates, then you got the reservation box. I'm pretty sure that has to be selected. details below.

how to stop W10 upgrade permanently
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-windows-10-upgrade-downloads-if-youre-not-1730024570

You can set Windows to automatically install important and recommended updates or to install important updates only. Important updates provide significant benefits, such as improved security and reliability. Recommended updates can address noncritical problems and help enhance your computing experience. Optional updates are not downloaded or installed automatically. To learn more about the types of updates that Microsoft publishes, go to this Knowledge Base article on the Microsoft Help and Support website.
If you don't want updates to be installed automatically, you can choose to be notified when updates apply to your computer instead. Then, you can download and install them yourself, or you can set Windows to automatically download updates, and then notify you so you can install them yourself. Here's how to change how Windows installs or notifies you about updates:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    . In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
  2. In the left pane, click Change settings.
  3. Under Important updates, click one of the following:
    • Install updates automatically (recommended)
    • Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
    • Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
    • Never check for updates (not recommended)
  4. To schedule your automatic updates, next to Install new updates, select the day and time you want updates to occur.
  5. To get recommended updates for your computer, under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box.
  6. To allow anyone using the computer to make updates, select the Allow all users to install updates on this computer check box. This applies only to updates and software that are installed manually; automatic updates will be installed regardless of the user.
  7. Click OK.
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rob - I did exactly what is spelled out in your response. I chose the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" option.

The problem is whereas I get to select which of the "Important" updates I want by checking the boxes I want, the screen which has the "Voluntary" updates is not only hidden but the item titled something like download Windows10 is pre-checked. If I don't pull up the "Voluntary" update screen and remove the checkmark manually I will inadvertently download Windows10.

IMO Microsoft is trying to trick me into doing something I don't want to do.

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmmph. Well I wouldn't like that either

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible to get rid of the Win10 install invasion. You have to find the KB3035583 update and uninstall it. Then let update download it again but don't let it install. You have to right click it and select 'hide'. Then it won't attempt to install or download it again. Microsoft tells how to do it here: http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-notification-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

As for privacy, if you use a phone or tablet with GPS, it wants to know your location so Cortana and other Apps can provide relative information. Cortana (win 10) will do things like read your emails and pick up details like when you have an appointment or expected package delivery. Cortana (win 10) will alert you to what's on your schedule. Everything can go to the Onedrive. I can take a picture with my phone and edit it on my PC without doing anything to move the picture. Onedrive connects my phone, laptop, tablet and PC. Windows 10 connects them all with same desktop, calendar and bookmarks. If you have Microsoft Word, you can access and work on your documents on any machine connected to your Microsoft account. Yes, Microsoft could access all my files and information, but how could they provide all that utility without being able to access the files? I don't have any industrial secrets to hide, but, if I did, My account is protected by a password. Just about everything we do online is password protected. So far, I don't think my privacy has been violated by win 10. If I change my mind, there are settings that can be adjusted to turn these things off! Hope I don't have to because I like how it works.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thought occurred to me... Is it really trying to UPGRADE to Windows 10, or is it trying to install the little popup that tells you that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free and lets you request the upgrade? I suspect it's probably the latter.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thought occurred to me... Is it really trying to UPGRADE to Windows 10, or is it trying to install the little popup that tells you that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free and lets you request the upgrade? I suspect it's probably the latter.

You are wrong. It would have downloaded Windows10. The good news is that the option is no longer there.

George

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The OP has clearly made his/her point: They don't like/trust MS and don't want/disapprove of the W10 upgrade/download/install as distributed by MS. I'm sure we all get that by now.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-windows-10-upgrade-downloads-if-youre-not-1730024570

As I posted in the link above (and again here), the W10 upgrade/update will automatically install if you have certain options checked on your machine. The updates (W7: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917 W8: 3035583, 2976978) were distributed as optional/recommended updates. There IS anecdotal evidence that these updates may have installed (and begun downloading W10 installation components) without user request/approval/confirmation. That is not a fact, but it is reported on the inter-webs. So, the W10 downloads might indeed start with no approval or request.

Whatever MS's reasons were for allegedly initiating a W10 installation without approval, that would be a very unsavory practice; IMHO.

If you're really adamant about preventing W10 downloads or upgrades--read the article or google it. It's not hard to stop/remove.