• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Microsoft is Devious

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score
George,

You are right on this. I got the Win10 upgrade, prechecked, and even after unchecking or even hiding it it came back after every reboot. Just changing your settings to stop automatic upgrades will not guarantee stopping it. On my PC, it reset to auto upgrades on every reboot.

Only thing that worked was remove update KB3035583, reboot, Go into updates where KB3035583 will reappear and HIDE it, Reboot, Run disk cleanup to remove all preload Win10 install files, reboot, go into Update and check that KB3035583 is still hidden and that the settings are not automatic. Then the notifications should stop and it should be fine but make sure you keep an eye out for it.

If you change your mind and want Win10, just unhide and install update KB3035583, and all the notices come back. It seems Win10 is a great improvement over 8 or 8.1 as they were crippled OS. But for Win7 users the only advantages are adding access to touch screen, cloud storage, Msft Store Apps, Msft Mail, etc.. but if you don't want any of that stuff, stay with Win7. It is lighter, more stable, and well accepted.

I don't want the Msft Account/Mail/Store/Apps, my machine does not have a touchscreen, so there is no real advantage to move from Win7 to Win10.

Even the idea of a "FREE" upgrade is still questionable as if you own Win7 ... you own it forever, even beyond support (like many XP users today) but when Win10 hits the point and Msft calls it the end to useful life (no answer to what that means) they can start charging you monthly or annually to support it or shut it down... totally unclear what they will do and Msft is not making an effort to clarify it.

Most tech sites say it is a good product and a no brainer upgrade for 8 or 8.1 but for 7 users, it is not as easy of a decision...

Pete

UPDATE: Msft Admits issue...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...t-forces-windows-10-onto-windows-7-windows-8/

Let me take another shot at this. This morning I checked to see what updates were available. It showed 7 all of which said something like "Windows7 Security". I checked the boxes next to each of them but when I clicked to start the download process it said (in small type) that I was downloading 8 updates, 7 "Important" and 1 "Optional".

I aborted the operation to see what was going on. What happened is that when I checked to see what updates were available it showed me the "Important" screen. When I went to the "Optional" screen it showed 4 items, 3 were unchecked and 1, "Upgrade to Windows10" which was checked.

My point is this. Microsoft it trying to trick me into downloading Windows10 by pre-checking the box in the "Optional" screen that they don't show me unless I go and ask for it. It would have been easy for me to miss this and done something I didn't want to do. That is what I call devious!!

George

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Upgraded to Window 10 this passed Saturday morning. No problems at all. Monday morning the monitor screen went black and did nothing.

Tuesday morning we have a power outage for about three (3) minutes. Window 10 can back on.

Question.. Has anyone experience a black screen on their monitor after upgrading to Windows 10?

David M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Bay Club
HGVC Kings' Land
Upgraded to Window 10 this passed Saturday morning. No problems at all. Monday morning the monitor screen went black and did nothing.

Tuesday morning we have a power outage for about three (3) minutes. Window 10 can back on.

Question.. Has anyone experience a black screen on their monitor after upgrading to Windows 10?

I've had my screen go black, and non-responsive, several times after upgrading to Win 10.

The only way to "fix" it to do a cold boot (as in, cycle power).

This was on a brand new HP desktop that shipped with Win 7 Pro.

The problem went away after updating the video card's drivers.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had my screen go black, and non-responsive, several times after upgrading to Win 10.

The only way to "fix" it to do a cold boot (as in, cycle power).

This was on a brand new HP desktop that shipped with Win 7 Pro.

The problem went away after updating the video card's drivers.

Thanks! I am going to saved this information. I have a one year old DELL computer. Window 8.1.