• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MEN

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
A very low battery could also cause a car to stall in this way. I think suggesting "men" shouldn't write advice columns just because this guy "John" didn't address all the reasons a car might stall is silly and shortsighted. :p

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A very low battery could also cause a car to stall in this way. I think suggesting "men" shouldn't write advice columns just because this guy "John" didn't address all the reasons a car might stall is silly and shortsighted. :p
I agree that they're being a little bit harsh. It's a newspaper item, for Pete's sake, which means it's limited to a certain amount of space. I'm sure John provided a more complete answer, but some editor removed content so that it would fit the space. That's not a reason to sack John - maybe it's the editor who should get sacked.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And why wasn't Sheila carrying a cell phone? She could've called her husband and he would have diagnosed and corrected the problem as soon as he could get to it.

Some women just don't plan ahead for possible mechanical problems.

Jim

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did any of you even READ the article? The man gave car advice when she was asking about marital advice. :wall:

And if she had a cell phone and called, she wouldnt have walked in on the cheaters.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a reason i signed up to Triple A recently...I've been caught too many times with a dead battery or being out of gas suddenly....

And if she had a cell phone and called.
I agree Siesta, The cell phone would have been a good suggestion too, even if you just get a pre-paid to keep in the car, they come in handy in the event of an emergency...From what i remember, you can dial 911 on those, even if the minutes have run out

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Siesta, if Sheila had just called, it would have saved her marriage. Now who's gonna fix her car?

Jim

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worry about the husband, not the wife

Siesta, if Sheila had just called, it would have saved her marriage. Now who's gonna fix her car?

Jim
sheila will get the home, the broken car, and funds to pay for it after the divorce settlement. When there is infidelity involved, we attorneys are typically chomping at the bit to take the poor sap for what he's worth.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
sheila will get the home, the broken car, and funds to pay for it after the divorce settlement. When there is infidelity involved, we attorneys are typically chomping at the bit to take the poor sap for what he's worth.

Usually you can judge how a person treats others in their life by how they treat their car...I'm thinking the husband was equally 'broken down'...Its always sad to read stories like this where the man is forced to go outside the marriage for any kind of affection...But it happens so often it makes one wonder if marriage really is worth it in the long run

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did any of you even READ the article? The man gave car advice when she was asking about marital advice. :wall:

And if she had a cell phone and called, she wouldnt have walked in on the cheaters.

Yes, I'm sure they did...that's why they're going along with the joke. At least I hope they're just joking. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Now Ride'll probably ask, "What joke?" :rolleyes:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Usually you can judge how a person treats others in their life by how they treat their car...I'm thinking the husband was equally 'broken down'...Its always sad to read stories like this where the man is forced to go outside the marriage for any kind of affection...But it happens so often it makes one wonder if marriage really is worth it in the long run
That is so true. There is so very clearly much going on here that hasn't been conveyed in that brief letter. I admire John for being able to cut through that limited amount of information and focus on the real problems.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound like good advice coming from a man point of view.

Yes!!! I read the whole article.

John missed the whole point.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure they did...that's why they're going along with the joke. At least I hope they're just joking. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Now Ride'll probably ask, "What joke?" :rolleyes:

As Dave Barry once observed, given the choice between saving an infant's life or catching a pop fly, most women will choose to save the infant without even considering whether there are runners on base.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

You miss the whole point of the article and you don't give Shelia credit.

And again you are being unfair to "John" - Shelia asked about her car problem first and also just happened to mention that her husband had a 19 year old mistress.

Now John is likely "not" Dr. Phil - obviously since his name is John - so to be fair to John, he likely answered about what he was expert on.

If Shelia had wanted to get advice about her husband keeping a 19 year old mistress I'm sure she would ask Dr. Phil - give her that much credit.

:hysterical:

geekette

Reaction score

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where the husband was forced into bed with the teen???

I'd be interested in the stats on men being forced to go outside the marriage for affection. It would be equally enlightening to have stats from their wives about why their men aren't receiving affection at home.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had the wife taken a second job so that she could afford more dependable transportation, she wouldn't be in this situation. She has no one to blame but herself.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Had the wife taken a second job so that she could afford more dependable transportation, she wouldn't be in this situation. She has no one to blame but herself.
Precisely. And with a broken-down car how is she going to be able to get to work to provide the income to pay the household bills??

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Dr. Phil is male.

I'm not sure I follow - are you suggesting Dr. Phil would only focus on the initial automotive issue like John so wisely did?

If so I think you are showing a reverse sexist streak - assuming that all men would be that wise.

:p

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Precisely. And with a broken-down car how is she going to be able to get to work to provide the income to pay the household bills??

Not to mention her husband's country club dues and poker night obligations. You know, if a woman isn't willing to hold up her side of a marriage, then I think sleeping with the neighbor's daughter is a very reasonable, almost expected, reaction.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, a better answer would have been:

"Find a good divorce attorney. Ask around. Almost everyone you know, from your mechanic to your hair dresser, will know one or have a relative who used one. With a good settlement, you'll be able to buy a new car."