• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui taxes [IMPORTANT - Proposal to RAISE Property Tax - AGAIN!]

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously... that is how you read that?

Clarity in communication is desirable. What's the second "that?"

Is it the Supreme Court opinion or your saying "I can't believe it is even legal..." in response to Lisa's belief that Maui County may be the only taxing authority that has a timeshare category?

Last month's linked article about a US Supreme Court opinion is just the Court's latest exposition of the principles which govern legal analysis of a claim that a tax is illegal because it violates the Equal Protection clause. Facts concerning the particular tax classification do not affect the principles of Equal Protection analysis used by the Court. (Sort of like the principles of analysis used by scientists to reach a conclusion in the lab?) The article states:

"The majority held that the Indianapolis program satisfied the rational basis requirement under the 14th Amendment: "This Court has long held that 'a classification neither involving fundamental rights nor proceeding along suspect lines ... cannot run afoul of the Equal Protection Clause if there is a rational relationship between the disparity of treatment and some legitimate governmental purpose.'" The facts of the case involved a City tax for a new sanitation project that could be paid in a lump sum or over 20 years. The taxpayers who paid the lump sum sued to at least get back a portion of what they paid when the tax was abolished after 4 years and those who paid in installments got completely off the hook for the last 16. The claim that an illegal tax classification affecting Equal Protection was created when the tax was abolished was rejected by both the Indiana Supreme Court and, last month, the SCOTUS.

I thought your response to Lisa's belief that Maui's classification was unique ("I can't believe it is even legal ...") involved a claim of denial of Equal Protection in taxation. If there was another basis to the claim that I am missing, just post it.

Finally, I did not post that a claim against Maui's tax classification would fail. I pointed out that these types of cases rarely are winners because the purpose of any tax ("we need the money") usually takes precedence. Salty

Last edited:

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. The Mayor of Maui has proposed a 7 percent increase in prop taxes for time share on Maui. This would take the rate from 15.00 to 16.50. This would be a combined total of 15 percent increase over the last two years. If you own a house in Maui the rate is 6.00. This is ridiculous. Once again the Mayor is choosing to alienate time share holders thinking they are an easy target. I would suggest we all make our concerns heard before the next council meeting on April 11th. Contact info can be found here www.ardaroc.org and click on Maui tax alert. I know that some will say it does no good to voice your opinion, I respectfully disagree. Last year there was a lot of good input and I believe it had an impact on the council. Granted tax went up but considerably less than what they were initially proposing. If we dont do anything we can be guaranteed of the outcome.

Exactly what is wrong with this country, imo. Everyone is trying to find convenient methods to tax the next guy instead of everyone paying their fair share.

Not smart to attack tourist dollars are these are critical to the health of hawaii.

But here in seattle, we taxed hotels and rental cars to fund the stadium the seahawks play in. And people wonder why Boeing HC left the state when our government is so anti business....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Seriously... that is how you read that?

Meaning - I know it is legal, but I cannot believe that it is...
(there are many examples of this in the world - in case you hadn't noticed. I would think someone as smart as yourself would be able to figure this out.)

Like... I cannot believe you still pick apart people's posts and their lack of complete and absolute clarity (based on multiple responses to you about this), but I understand that you have the legal right to do so...