• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Resort Property Tax increase significantly?

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
I was talking to Gregg Lundberg, the WKORV General Manager about the increases in property taxes. According to him, the county picked three "comparable" Condominium developments and used the average selling price of their units (in 2007) as the basis to set the valuation of units at WKORV and WKORV-N. 2007 was a hot year for Maui properties, so the comparables were high. 2008 was the start of the drop in real estate prices, so for tax year 2010/2011, the valuations should be going down.

So the county did not use the selling prices of the TS as the basis for valuation.
Gregg did mention a couple of strategies that might be used to get the valuation changed. But he asked that they not be spread around before the hearing. One doesn't invite the other team into the huddle.

Realistically, I don't expect that we will see much relief on the tax issue. So we may need to look for silver linings. One is the above mentioned drop in valuations that happened in 2008, so that should lower next years taxes. Another is that part of the increase this year was for taxes for the previous year. That should not happen again. So maybe we will see some relief in the MF for next year.

And remember, the HOA and SW did a good job of holding down controllable expenses, resulting in over $100 savings in operating expenses for this year. You should be happy about that.

Greg

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
And remember, the HOA and SW did a good job of holding down controllable expenses, resulting in over $100 savings in operating expenses for this year. You should be happy about that.

Did they actually hold down expenses or were the savings a result of a decline in energy services prices in 2009 versus a budgeted increase in energy costs?

History shows the Starwood HOAs in general haven't been really good at holding expenses down anywhere, so my personal opinion is that a decline in energy prices caused the cost savings and such windfalls can go the other way the next time around.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
The energy cost savings were achieved by the following: renegotiation of rates with the local energy company, switching from the original doublr "heavenly" shower heads to a single head, and encouraging guests to have their towels and linen washed less frequently, among other small things which added up over time.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
My point was actually that energy rates charged by utilities fell in the economy in general in 2009... Did the local utility really give the Westin a "special" rate? Why would they do that? It's not like you can switch to a different provider. If WKORV budgeted a 10% (made up number) increase in energy rates and the reality was a 5% reduction, that's where savings can come from, especially with all that air-conditioning year round.

Towels and linen laundry, and one versus two shower heads, and even the trash liners do save something - but not $100 per 2BR unit per week...

I'm not saying the cost reductions are bad. I just don't think the HOA is as responsible for them as they would like owners to believe. Either way - lower costs are welcome anyday, especially if quality isn't compromised by much...

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
My point was actually that energy rates charged by utilities fell in the economy in general in 2009... Did the local utility really give the Westin a "special" rate? Why would they do that? It's not like you can switch to a different provider. If WKORV budgeted a 10% (made up number) increase in energy rates and the reality was a 5% reduction, that's where savings can come from, especially with all that air-conditioning year round.

Towels and linen laundry, and one versus two shower heads, and even the trash liners do save something - but not $100 per 2BR unit per week...

I'm not saying the cost reductions are bad. I just don't think the HOA is as responsible for them as they would like owners to believe. Either way - lower costs are welcome anyday, especially if quality isn't compromised by much...

I don't have my paperwork with me. But I believe that the savings made for this year are more than just a decline in energy costs. Also, I believe that some of the energy cost declines came from installing a co-generation facility. That seems to me to be proactive thinking on the part of the HOA and SW management.

Greg

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Don't forget that all the savings we realized by cutting back on energy was offset by Starwood reneging on their "voluntary contribution" to the HOA. They used the fact that we saved so much on energy as a justification for pocketing all that money instead of using it to offset our enormous MFs as they had pledged.

So we Owners paid more out of pocket to get less.

Last edited:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that all the savings we realized by cutting back on energy was offset by Starwood reneging on their "voluntary contribution" to the HOA. They used the fact that we saved so much on energy as a justification for pocketing all that money instead of using it to offset our enormous MFs as they had pledged.

So we Owners paid more out of pocket to get less.

I was not aware of Starwood's voluntary contributions to the HOA.
I know they were making subsidy payments. But, these were not voluntary. They were required by law to cover the units built but not sold.

I am not trying to split hairs in characterizing the payments.
Just pointing out that if they were subsidies, Starwood did not renege. They simply stopped paying for what they no longer owned. Hence, they did not need an "excuse", since they did not "pledge" anything.

The electric co-generation plant will continue to produce lower energy costs.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I was not aware of Starwood's voluntary contributions to the HOA.

They listed them as "voluntary contributions" in their annual "State of the Timeshare" report (the budget we got along with our MF invoices), along with a section that explained that Starwood reduced this contribution BECAUSE of the savings we realized on utility reductions.

So, yes, they did renege.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
They listed them as "voluntary contributions" in their annual "State of the Timeshare" report (the budget we got along with our MF invoices), along with a section that explained that Starwood reduced this contribution BECAUSE of the savings we realized on utility reductions.

Thanks.

Just an observation. A voluntary contribution to the HOA is highly unusual. I have never heard of a developer doing such a thing. I am very surprised that Starwood did it.

Not to diminish the impact on already high fees, but having done so I would think it a reason for thanks instead of criticism.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN

When I read the Owners Manual, I did not see any section that required Starwood to make voluntary contributions to cover the resort expenses. They are supposed to pay their share for the unsold units they own and also for the resort stores and restaurants they own and operate. If they make a contribution beyond that, i.e. voluntary, then we should be glad for that contribution in earlier years. Not complaining that they "renege" when they decide to reduce that contribution.

Greg

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Update:

Starwood (and Marriott) appeals heard on March 31. See here.

Hopefully we'll hear result in a few months.

I like how 23 of the 26 pages are filled with Maui Ocean Club and WKORV-S and -N units.