• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Feb Reservations

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I've digested all the Maui threads and have had some great help via PMs from folks.

I'm struggling with whether to drop a ridiculous amount of money into 2-3 Lahaina 2BR OF fixed weeks or stick to the old buildings. We actually like the old buildings but, ...

For those long-time users that have two or more 2BR OF MOC floating, particularly if you are using 3-5 weeks, how successful have you been getting winter weeks 4-5-6? How far out? And critically, what floor placement have you consistently gotten, i.e., always 7 and above?

If you'd prefer to share privately, please PM me. I'm wandering around Yellowstone at the moment so if I don't respond immediately, blame it on non-existent ATT cell service. :)

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Good questions. We like both, but own neither(yet). While I cannot help answer your questions, I am interested in any responses from our multi-Maui Tuggers.

Enjoy Yellowstone! (Jealous!)

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Maybe I can bring this back to life, though I'm beginning to think that the multi-week MOC floating winter week User owners aren't on Tug. ;-)

Still interested in Maui specific experiences on floor assignments, but generically, if I have two 2BR/OF weeks and want to reserve let's say Week 6 in February, that makes me eligible for 13 mon reservations.

If I lock both units off at the same time can I call at Week 6, 14 months prior, because then I can start a four week string ending in Week 6, i.e., Weeks 3-4-5-6.

Last edited:

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a two bedroom OF in the original towers. We purchased in 2016 and our first usage was in 2017. At the 12 month window we reserved the weeks we requested for 2017, weeks 3 and 4. We locked the unit off. The first week we stayed in the studio and were placed on the 2nd floor (first floor for rooms) and had probably the worst view of any OF's due to the trees and shrubs. The second week's(week 4) location in the one bedroom made up for it as they located us on the top floor end unit with a wrap around balcony along 2 sides of the unit.

In 2017 we strung together a couple of reservations for 2018 so that we could reserve at the 13 month window, so it will be interesting to see where they locate us. We locked off the unit and reserved the weeks we wanted, weeks 3 and 4.

Over the last 3 years that we have stayed at MOC, we have met only one other couple that was aware of Tug. It seems that everyone we have met at MOC have purchased from Marriott.

ThunderUp

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
If I lock both units off at the same time can I call at Week 6, 14 months prior, because then I can start a four week string ending in Week 6, i.e., Weeks 3-4-5-6.

Is this possible at 14 months? Or do you need 4 actual deeded weeks...vs 2 deeded locked off?

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can bring this back to life, though I'm beginning to think that the multi-week MOC floating winter week User owners aren't on Tug. ;-)

Still interested in Maui specific experiences on floor assignments, but generically, if I have two 2BR/OF weeks and want to reserve let's say Week 6 in February, that makes me eligible for 13 mon reservations.

No it doesn't work that way.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

No it doesn't work that way.

Doesn't it? To use the 13-mos Reservation Window you must be booking multiple Weeks or components of multiple lock-off Weeks and you must be booking them consecutively or concurrently. So, the OP could book Weeks 3-4-5-6 when the 13-mos Window for Week 3 opens, but subject to availability and depending on how the components line up.

Let's call his two lock-off Weeks A and B with the components designated S and 1BR, so A-S, A-1BR, B-S, B-1BR. When the 13-mos Reservation Window opens for Week 3 all four components can be booked consecutively as long as the first two are not from the same owned Week. This string could be booked: A-S, B-S, A-1BR, B-1BR. This string could not: A-S, A-1BR, B-S, B-1BR. The difference is that in the first example the first two components come from different owned Weeks, while in the second they come from the same Week. So TXTortoise could begin a four-component string of Weeks 3-4-5-6 in order to get a good jump on Week 6, provided components from separate owned Weeks are used to book Weeks 3 and 4.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Thanks Sue, I hadn't thought about a difference existing between booking A-S, A-1BR consecutively versus interspersing it with a B-S, B-1BR combo. Initially had assumed that two weeks gets me 13 months, then breaking them into four weeks puts me that further out from the target week. I'll probably just call Marriott, more than once, and see what responses I get on how to do it/what is allowed.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ralph asked if he could book at 14 months with 2 weeks. 13 months yes, then what Sue is suggesting but unless I'm missing something you need more than 3 weeks to start at 14 months before check-in

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Sue, I hadn't thought about a difference existing between booking A-S, A-1BR consecutively versus interspersing it with a B-S, B-1BR combo. Initially had assumed that two weeks gets me 13 months, then breaking them into four weeks puts me that further out from the target week. I'll probably just call Marriott, more than once, and see what responses I get on how to do it/what is allowed.

Your assumption is correct, and I would expect that even the Marriott reps will give you different answers. Just keep in mind that at the 13-mos Reservation Window you must be using multiple Weeks or lock-off components of multiple Weeks, and when counting out the 13-mos think in terms of the first calendar interval that you'll be booking, not the last. Simply, your ownership of two lock-off Weeks gives you four components so if you intend to book four consecutive intervals, the first two cannot be the Studio and 1BR components of the same Week. When you call 13-mos in advance of your weeks 3-4-5-6 string, be prepared to request the exact string you want (example A-S, B-S, A-1BR, B-1BR.) If that doesn't work because of availability issues, ask the rep to search for whatever string will work.

As usual I'm probably using too many words to try to explain but let me try this to clear up the restriction. Say you have a single lock-off Week with S and 1BR components. Those two components can't be booked using the 13-mos Reservation Window because they constitute a single ownership Week. But adding additional Weeks or components from additional Weeks gives you access to the 13-mos window provided that you book components from separate Weeks.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ralph asked if he could book at 14 months with 2 weeks. 13 months yes, then what Sue is suggesting but unless I'm missing something you need more than 3 weeks to start at 14 months before check-in

Week 6/2018 at MOC begins Fri/Feb 9 and the 13-mos Release Date for booking multiple components beginning with that interval is 1/9/17. Week 3/2018 begins Fri/Jan 19 and that 13-mos Release Date is 12/19/16.

Ah, I see what you mean now, Week 3 is not exactly 14 months prior to Week 6. But I took his question as if he used his components to book 3-4-5-6 in order to get a jump on the desired Week 6, could he try booking that much further out so he'd be booking within what is effectively a 14-mos window for Week 6 but not at its opening.

Last edited:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Yup, I should have been more date specific in my initial post, but you got the gist of my question. Mostly was trying to see how far ahead, that me, with two lock-off weeks, could begin the string...given all the talk about folks with 4+ weeks doing the same, even further out to lock down winter weeks on Maui.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really was focused on the 14 month start but yes you can do what you were truly thinking as Sue mentions and that is where you can really capture some tremendous value splitting 2 into 4 as the avg cost per night comes down significantly. 2017 MFs were $2189 for a MOC 2BD OF so for about $1125/wk you have an OF unit in whale season on Maui.

That is really some value, something we did once in 2010 when kids were small enough for us to be comfortable in a studio. And God willing we'll be doing this again in a few years with a handful of weeks when it's just the wife and I so I'm hopeful it works as well for everyone.

My concern is one week you get a Saturday check-in and then the next week you can only get Friday or Sunday. I know that happens to me now even with my multi-week advantage. You also may not get a great view every time but I'm Ok with that, it's the overlap that is my concern.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
So. Is TxTortoise scenario true that a two 2BR week owner in the same season can book at approx 14 months in advance by locking off both two 2BR weeks and reserving using all 4 weeks consecutively (A-1BR, A-S, B-1BR, B-S)? If so, can we book in any sequence or are their guidelines?

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience is that it all depends on the first reservation, thirteen months out. We start with a 1br gv that we bought long ago. Then the following weeks are relatively easy to book with or without using lock off options. If we use lock offs, we can get eight weeks, generally mid Jan to mid March. If we use the units as two bedrooms (other than the first week) we can get five weeks. They will keep you in the same unit as long as the units are the same size and view. In our experience, floor assignment can only be assured about two to three weeks before check-in, by a call to MOC. Even then, you may have to haggle when you actually arrive. We've been spending our whale season months in Maui for many years, and love it.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Our experience is that it all depends on the first reservation, thirteen months out. We start with a 1br gv that we bought long ago. Then the following weeks are relatively easy to book with or without using lock off options. If we use lock offs, we can get eight weeks, generally mid Jan to mid March. If we use the units as two bedrooms (other than the first week) we can get five weeks. They will keep you in the same unit as long as the units are the same size and view. In our experience, floor assignment can only be assured about two to three weeks before check-in, by a call to MOC. Even then, you may have to haggle when you actually arrive. We've been spending our whale season months in Maui for many years, and love it.

Cool. Good to know.

So, to avoid moving rooms, probably best to book A-1B and B-1B, then A-Eff and B-Eff. That way you only have to move from 1BR to Efficiency once for villa size....assuming views are the same on weeks A & B. Much better than an A-1B, A-Eff, B-1B, B-Eff...which would have you moving rooms 3 times.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. As long as your 1br and lockoff are the same view. It works if you own, for example two weeks of ocean view 2 br (or any other view for that matter). Moves required if your weeks are split between old towers and new (Napili/Lahaina).