• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott VC points purchased on E-bay, etc.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation/Destination Points
Hello,
We are MVC point owners(purchased directly from Marriott over the years) and would like to add points to get to Executive Level. Marriott TS sales people say we can only use points purchased on E-bay (outside sources) at Interval International and that there is a "re-education" fee that brings the cost to near what we would pay directly from Marriott.

Are these points purchased on E-bay, etc. treated the same way by Marriott as points purchased from them? When reservations are made, is there any penalty for points not purchased from Marriott?
Thanks

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hello,
We are MVC point owners(purchased directly from Marriott over the years) and would like to add points to get to Executive Level. Marriott TS sales people say we can only use points purchased on E-bay (outside sources) at Interval International and that there is a "re-education" fee that brings the cost to near what we would pay directly from Marriott.

Are these points purchased on E-bay, etc. treated the same way by Marriott as points purchased from them? When reservations are made, is there any penalty for points not purchased from Marriott?
Thanks
There is a great deal of info on the TUG - Marriott board about buying resale points.
Non Marriott owners must buy at least 1500 pts (BUT you as a MVC owner can buy as little as 1000 pts (in bunches of 250))
There is a $2/pt fee (min $3000) for buying resale points once paid those pts work the same a pts bought from MVC.
There are other fees (small ) they charge too
MVC uses the ROFR to buy any pts offered at less than $4.50/pt So if you try to buy at $3/pt MVC will buy them instead.
BUT if you pay $5/pt then the $2/pt MVC fee then the extra fees (~$700) the $7.50 /pt you'll still be paying about $5/pt less than what MVC is currently charging for MVC pts

good luck

Welcome to TUG

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation/Destination Points
Bill,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will search more on the site to find those conversations about MVC. ( I'm still learning to navigate the site).
Do you know what happens to those buyers who buy MVC points on, say E-bay, for $2.00/pt (plus $2/pt MVC charge and expenses)?
At what point in the purchase process does Marriott come in with the ROFR at prices below $4.50? During escrow??
There are a lot of MVC points for sale on E-bay way less than the $4.50 max ROFR that Marriott will buy at.
Just wondering if any of them actually get purchased at those lower prices.
Steve

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hello,

Thanks

And to add to Bill's excellent comments above:

There is virtually no difference in the way points acquired via resale vs Marriott can be used. You can not convert DC points to MRP points, but that's usually a bad deal anyway. There is a discussion of trust vs legacy points and certain 'trust only' reservations, but that is a very limited and IMHO esoteric argument--unless you specifically need those reservations--not applicable to most people, especially as you already have trust points.

Based on your comments/questions about resale points (above) I'll assume (no comments please) that you may not be completely 'informed' about the MVC points program, status benefits and perhaps some of the finer points of MVC points ownership and resale purchase etc...

So, if I may:

Finally.
Suggest you search TUG for some discussions of "Executive Level: is it worth it?" or start a new thread. You could easily rent points when needed and avoid constant MF's on the extra points. Unless, of course, you are actively using ALL your points (and more to reach executive level) every single year. You will see many auctions on Ebay etc... for cheap points. As Bill noted, MVC points won't pass ROFR (probably) at very low numbers. MY personal suggestion for buying resale points is to work with a broker that routinely sells points. Why? The broker will likely know the current threshold to pass ROFR. The broker will likely have multiple packages of points to submit for ROFR at incremental selling prices ($4.25, $4.50, $4.75 etc..) to find the best price. They may not be willing do this more than once, but who knows? My point is: low-balling on Ebay may be a frustrating, long and arduous process depending on the seller. Again, JMHO.

There are lot's of points experts here...I'm not one of them

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Bill,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will search more on the site to find those conversations about MVC. ( I'm still learning to navigate the site).
Do you know what happens to those buyers who buy MVC points on, say E-bay, for $2.00/pt (plus $2/pt MVC charge and expenses)?
At what point in the purchase process does Marriott come in with the ROFR at prices below $4.50? During escrow??
There are a lot of MVC points for sale on E-bay way less than the $4.50 max ROFR that Marriott will buy at.
Just wondering if any of them actually get purchased at those lower prices.
Steve

I posted between your posts.....

ROFR is submitted after the contract is drawn: Some brokers will submit the ROFR upon receiving deposit and signed contract, others sellers may drag their feet..who knows.
Sellers have points from clients that want to get rid of them (and the MF's). Sellers want money too. So, let's imagine $2 per point to current owner relinquishing points and $2.50 to the Ebay selling agent. You pay $4.50 and Seller submits $4.50 ROFR to Marriott. On low-ball offers, I suspect the seller 'sells' the points for $2 or $3 dollars--knowing that Marriott will quickly snap up the points and then pays pennies on the dollar to the relinquishing owner. Again, my speculations. That's why you deal with a reputable broker who will do the same thing, but at a much more trustworthy level. There are several TUG approved brokers that you can chat with for free. They will answer your questions and then you can decide: Ebay seller or broker? Of course, there are respected Ebay sellers as well...... Google TUG.

The Rofr should happen early in the sales process. And yes, you will ALWAYS pay the Point price (near $5) plus the education fees ($2) plus incidentals. So, around $7 per point total.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Finally.
Suggest you search TUG for some discussions of "Executive Level: is it worth it?" or start a new thread.

You could easily rent points when needed and avoid constant MF's on the extra points. Unless, of course, you are actively using ALL your points (and more to reach executive level) every single year.

There are lot's of points experts here...I'm not one of them

I have pts from my pre 2010 Marriott TS and no trust pts BUT if I have too many points I rent them to someone else and if I need more pts I either borrow from next year or rent them from another owner. I have no interest in getting to the "next level"

Bill