• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Trader-Where to buy?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Please make sure it is at least Gold or Platinum week. Low TDI week won't get you good return in Interval exchange, especially from studio side.
I just paid for the RCI point week today so if I pick up an MVC trader it will depend on DVC making a return to II

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I agree with success coming from the amount of effort put in. I do thank you for your reply because it is good to hear from detailed experience. The unknown trading power of II can be frustrating at best. I do think it’s great to have an MVC week since you an score some really great trades, especially now with the buying of VSE. Plus,
As I posted on other threads, I purchased a Marriott several years ago because I wanted 2BR Marriott exchanges to Hawaii. With MGC, I've seen 100% of the units in the sightings forum (when I've checked). Here's a list of some of my instant exchanges (2BR unless noted):
Hawaii: Ko Olina (x3), Waiohai (x3), Kauai Beach Club 1BR
USVI: Frenchman's Cove
Hilton Head: Barony Beach
CA: Newport Coast

You mentioned success from effort put in. At the risk of going too far off topic, you can also have success with lesser known units. Here are my instant exchanges for Hawaii through II with my Colonies (Vacation Village Resort) unit:
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club - studio x2, 1BR
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas - 1BR x2
Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas - 2BR
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - 1BR
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North - studio
Kona Coast - 2BR, 1BR
The Cliffs Club - 1BR

That's just 2016-2020. I've had other great instant exchanges with II, SFX, and RCI, but I'll end my off topic comments here.

I can't say enough good things about MGC as a trader!

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I guess I’d have to look at the TDI calendar for the resort I’d want to buy into, then book it and hit deposit. I guess it’s just easier if I buy the deeded week that has high TDI then I don’t need to worry about “booking”.

Buying a "deeded" week will most often cost you more and it is not necessary for traders nor is it always available. Getting a high demand week is not that difficult and thus far have never had an issue getting one of them. Just look for Platinum and call in 12 months before the high demand week to reserve it. If you have multiple weeks you can book 13 months in advance and it really isn't that hard to reserve, I wouldn't stress about it.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
As I posted on other threads, I purchased a Marriott several years ago because I wanted 2BR Marriott exchanges to Hawaii. With MGC, I've seen 100% of the units in the sightings forum (when I've checked). Here's a list of some of my instant exchanges (2BR unless noted):
Hawaii: Ko Olina (x3), Waiohai (x3), Kauai Beach Club 1BR
USVI: Frenchman's Cove
Hilton Head: Barony Beach
CA: Newport Coast

You mentioned success from effort put in. At the risk of going too far off topic, you can also have success with lesser known units. Here are my instant exchanges for Hawaii through II with my Colonies (Vacation Village Resort) unit:
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club - studio x2, 1BR
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas - 1BR x2
Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas - 2BR
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - 1BR
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North - studio
Kona Coast - 2BR, 1BR
The Cliffs Club - 1BR

That's just 2016-2020. I've had other great instant exchanges with II, SFX, and RCI, but I'll end my off topic comments here.

I can't say enough good things about MGC as a trader!
Excellent. I’m going to play the RCI game for a bit then move into a MVC trader if I need it

BostonKingB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NONE! Looking for a good trader to purchase.
If I tried to buy a trader and ended up losing out to ROFR, would I end up paying anything out of pocket? Or would Marriott then be on the hook for everything?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should lose nothing but time.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
No you will not be on the hook.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
If I tried to buy a trader and ended up losing out to ROFR, would I end up paying anything out of pocket? Or would Marriott then be on the hook for everything?

Please note that ROFR is VERY random. I've had situations where I have had resorts taken away at higher levels but pass at lower levels. Previously when Marriott had their resale department listing what resorts they bought back, I was even able to turn around and sell it for more at the prices they were buying them back for when they could have taken it back at the lower price by ROFR. Its a gong show.

The main point is that don't let ROFR pressure you into paying more as that does not guarantee you it will pass ROFR. Pay what you think it is worth to you. I personally refuse to pay more than I need to and always want a deal when I can. There are some people who will say they are willing to pay more just so that can get it, but with it being random, it doesn't always happen. It is a buyers market and another one will come along.....

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Nick,

A long time ago, I wrote the attached post on a dedicated Marriott trader -- I think for the most part it still holds, and please excuse the passage of time on MFs and similar "antiquities". I hope it is useful.

For you, I am extremely curious how the new Vistana preference plays out -- if Vistana's preference is pari passu with Marriott's and not a secondary preference, then SDO just became a very powerful trader. You're already familiar with it as a Vistana trader, now imagine leveraging it across Marriott's larger network of properties. I own an SDO 1-52 for other reasons (Spring Training) but it now has trading potential as well. It will take some time to figure that out -- and I will run a few trade power experiments to see how it does. I have two dedicated Marriott traders (Shadow Ridge Enclaves and Willow Ridge) and will report back to TUG on how the SDO did versus those too.

I'm not sure I would buy anything new right now, because trading world is in flux. One of the things I love most about TUG is that we find the opportunities in the different systems and we share them (and maximize them).

Best,

Greg
Hey Greg, did you make some tests for the SDO trying to see MVC properties?
I’m about to get a 1 BR SDO and It would be awesome to use it to get some MVC Aruba or MVC Hawaii weeks (not peak seasons). I know that is not an easy task to get those exchanges, but it should be a little bit easier than before with this new “mini-priority”

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this Corona Virus situation replicates the economy of 2008 and 2009 then now may be the time to start buying resale Marriott weeks at juicy prices and don't let the threat of ROFR intimidate your offer.

Marriott's cash outflow 12 years ago was huge, and they let everything slip through as they were trying to conserve cash at the time.

We have the same situation today; Many Marriott Hotel Properties have little or no occupancy, and their cash flow isn't coming in like it was a month ago. Now may be a great time to buy!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Not sure what to expect, but I did find reading the old 2009-2012 threads are providing lots of context to where we may be going in the TS world over the next few years.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If this Corona Virus situation replicates the economy of 2008 and 2009 then now may be the time to start buying resale Marriott weeks at juicy prices and don't let the threat of ROFR intimidate your offer.

Marriott's cash outflow 12 years ago was huge, and they let everything slip through as they were trying to conserve cash at the time.

We have the same situation today; Many Marriott Hotel Properties have little or no occupancy, and their cash flow isn't coming in like it was a month ago. Now may be a great time to buy!

Marriott hotels and Marriott vacation club are two separate entities now.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Marriott hotels and Marriott vacation club are two separate entities now.

Good point, but I think it is reasonable to anticipate that MVC will move to preserving cash like many other businesses. It may take a few months before we begin to see any evidence of this in ROFR activity.

The contrary might also prove to be true. If MVC has a plan to acquire more units via resale, and has available cash, they may move in hard on a buyers market.

Too early to tell, but it is worthwhile to watch prices over the next 12 months.

This has been a great thread as I have been thinking of acquiring an MVC trader, and I have some new insights. I was focused on GV and GC, but will now keep an eye on WR as well.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I agree that they will be preserving cash at both Marriott hotels and vacation club.

What you cannot count on is that because hotel bookings are down, it is affecting the seperate timeshare entity the same. As the timeshare are run on our dues and MVC makes money from us by being the manager and collecting their management fees.

Marriott hotels have laid off about 50% of their employees and MKO has asked if associates want to work less hours. They might institute lay offs or reduction in work hours at MKO if bookings drop below 70%. But from my understanding they are trying to keep everyone employed. Now the bartenders and restaurant staff did get some lay offs as those business have shut down or reduced offerings. But their salaries are not paid through our maintenance fees.