• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rumors on Street Talk

Bill4728

Reaction score
Streettalkblog.com said:
IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THE RUMOR…

-that Marriott is putting a hold on most new developments in its vacation ownership division, with Kauai on hold for at least a year?
- Is the Cancun property the only new one moving forward right now?
- I also hear they are suspending paying Marriott Reward Points to owners who keep financing. Yes? No?

No more reward points when you finance??

Ask_A_Rep

Reaction score
True, just announced. There is a "severance" amount of points that will still be deposited as a one time courtesy, but no more points for keeping financing.

Mila78

Reaction score
Wow, that just answered my question about whether i should continue financing with Marriott or switch elsewhere!

Ask_A_Rep

Reaction score
That is the goal. They want you to get financing somewhere else. This way they dont have to find someone that will buy the loans.

Mila78

Reaction score
I have to say, I am 100% DISAPPOINTED in the turn of events lately.

The 2 things that enticed me to buy and finance directly with Marriott are:

1. Value of points - all those free vacations they spoke about --> now the point system is being devalued

2. Points you get for financing - might be more expensive but look at all the point youll get over the years --> now thats going away too.

Seriously, I am so sad and upset right now at what is happening with Marriott Vacation Club. So many false promises... and this was just last year that I purchased!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Typical Marriott bait and switch. First they changed the rental program, then the resale program, now this. I'm glad I sold my 4 Marriotts. Nice resorts, crap company!

George

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
25K points will be posted to anyone enrolled by Dec. 31st. The rep. I called said there are many foreclosures which is why they're doing this.

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Marriott plans to inform current owners financing thru them of this change? I am one of those and this is the first I am hearing of this change.

Guess I will start looking for other opportunties of financing this amt.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty smart move by Marriott. I am sure lots of owners will payoff or refinance their loans to keep those Marriott reward points. I've never been a fan of chasing those points.

The net result will be a freeing up of cash so that they can sell more timeshares. This is important for their viability.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
25K points will be posted to anyone enrolled by Dec. 31st. The rep. I called said there are many foreclosures which is why they're doing this.

I was afraid of this.... many financial institutions are cutting WAY down on what they are lending - people who had 20K credit limits on their credit cards are getting notified their limit has been cut to 3 and 4K instead :(

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you see this?

Where did you see Marriott announce that?

As far as I remember, the part about paying points for keeping the financing is part of the contract, so they could not just decide not to honor it.

This may be for new financing - unless someone can point to something different I put this in the rumor category.

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
read your contract

Marriotts contract with owners of timeshares leaves everything open for them to change, you have no rights with the exception of changing the board and read the threads about the ocean club and you will see how well that works (not).

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score

As far as I remember, the part about paying points for keeping the financing is part of the contract, so they could not just decide not to honor it.

This may be for new financing - unless someone can point to something different I put this in the rumor category.

I reviewed my contract qnd it does say that Marriott can change or discontinue the points. :annoyed:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
There was also an article on streettalk (may have been the same article) that said Marriott was asking it's reps to encourage cash sales rather than attempting to finance the purchase of a timeshare.

If they do that, they'll need a better way of finding prospects. Getting tourists off the street looking for freebie's sure isn't a good way to find someone that can pay $20,000 to $100,000 cash for a timeshare.

Steel5Rings

Reaction score
Another example of the bait and switch tactics of this company.....the resorts are first class...I love them, in general the value is very good...but the company has a bad habit of breaking promises and changing the deal....I have seen this with owners directly and with HOAs on management re-ups.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score

I called and asked based on this thread.

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
At 13.9% or whatever they were charging, they're doing everyone a big favor.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't remember reading anything about new construction in Kauai. Could someone enlighten me about this?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Another example of the bait and switch tactics of this company.....the resorts are first class...I love them, in general the value is very good...but the company has a bad habit of breaking promises and changing the deal....I have seen this with owners directly and with HOAs on management re-ups.

While I might agree it's a raw deal, it's not bait and switch. Marroitt made no promise other than the fact they can change the terms to fit Marriott's need at any time.

Those that bought a timeshare based upon rewards points and not the merrits of the timeshare alone are getting what they purchased and, some would say probably what they deserve. Imagine how the Marriott sales reps feel that bought into this hook, line and sinker and financed their own purchases at Marriott's high interest rates, just for those rewards points. I know a couple of salesmen that attempted to convince me that the promise of future rewards points offset my firm commitment to pay a double digit interest rate. My stance was, if I couldn't change the interest rate to fit my needs, then take out the part where Marriott can change the rewards points given for cont. financing, where Marriott can devalue the points program and where Marriott can increase my MF's. I didn't have any takers.

If you're going to buy a timeshare, DON'T buy for anything other than the firm promises made. Anything else is quicksand.

Last edited:

JimC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - AKV, BCV, OKW, VGC; Marriott - Canyon Villas/Shadow Ridge, Cypress Harbour
Marriott has to respond to the extreme challenges that exist in the global credit markets and the world economy. There are likely more changes to come if conditions deteriorate further.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . . Imagine how the Marriott sales reps feel that bought into this hook, line and sinker and financed their own purchases at Marriott's high interest rates, just for those rewards points . . .

You do not make a MVC purchase just to garner MR points. You purchase timeshare for destination travel. Whatever MR points you are able to garner & add to the deal are simply a bonus. As to the higher financing rates with Marriott . . . it's a choice tossed out there for each potential purchaser to accept or reject ( just like when you go to buy a car ). Individuals make their decisions and they must subsequently live with them. No sleight of hand by Marriott however.

Timeshare is timeshare whether we're in a boom or in a recession. It's always been buyer beware with TS or any other consumer purchase. Likewise MVC is gonna make decisions which look after their interest. I guess it is not a surprise to learn that some folks are defaulting upon their MVC loans. But that's a consequence of the credit crunch as some households are pretty constrained at the moment.

It's just my own opinion, but both Marriott and MVC are pretty transparent in terms of how they treat their customers. The T&C are clear from the get go, and just like Life, they are subject to change.

Best advice is to enjoy your weeks, assuming you purchased them with good goals in mind.

Barry

gmss0205

Reaction score
For those asking, Marriott sent out a letter that arrived in our mailbox yesterday informing us about the suspension of the points rewards if you finance through them. I was not happy about it (50,000 points a year going away), but I understand that they would rather have their customers get their own financing, have the TS paid off in full and not have to worry about defaults and foreclosures. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense for Marriott to do this. I can't blame them. I can get other financing that is cheaper and in the long run, I will probably come out ahead.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
You do not make a MVC purchase just to garner MR points. Barry

An excellent point, Barry. I have never been in favour of borrowing to buy a timeshare any more than I would borrow to take a vacation. And, at 13.9% it was even worse. I have enjoyed the points program, but there are other and better ways to earn points than borrowing money to get them.

The economy stinks and Marriott's stock prices have been hit big time just like 99% of other big firms, but they'll come through this as they always have before. Best of all, you own your timeshare - not like those dumping huge sums of money into private Destination Clubs that can go under at any time.

Interesting reading:
http://www.blogs.marriott.com/default.asp?item=2280534

Brian

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
You do not make a MVC purchase just to garner MR points. You purchase timeshare for destination travel. Whatever MR points you are able to garner & add to the deal are simply a bonus. As to the higher financing rates with Marriott . . . it's a choice tossed out there for each potential purchaser to accept or reject ( just like when you go to buy a car ). Individuals make their decisions and they must subsequently live with them. No sleight of hand by Marriott however.

Timeshare is timeshare whether we're in a boom or in a recession. It's always been buyer beware with TS or any other consumer purchase. Likewise MVC is gonna make decisions which look after their interest. I guess it is not a surprise to learn that some folks are defaulting upon their MVC loans. But that's a consequence of the credit crunch as some households are pretty constrained at the moment.

It's just my own opinion, but both Marriott and MVC are pretty transparent in terms of how they treat their customers. The T&C are clear from the get go, and just like Life, they are subject to change.

Best advice is to enjoy your weeks, assuming you purchased them with good goals in mind.

Barry

While you and I might agree on this, I'd be willing to bet there's been a lot of people who did just that, finance with Marriott for the points. There's enough responces on this thread that indicate people had choosen that praticular way to go. Personally, I couldn't see paying double digit interest rates based upon a promise that had built in wording that Marriott could change the rules at any time.

I've also spent enough time with salesmen who were attempting to sell this added benefit as one more reason to buy a $20,000 timeshare. They used it as a way to validate that double digit interest by assigning a dollar value to those points, thus bringing down the cost of that double digit interest. If you tell a story long enough, I'm certain there were enough salesman that bought their own story and now find themselves stuck with a high interest rate loan and no benefit to show for it. I believe that would essentially sour ones relationship with ones employeer. Especially in the area of obtaining referals from those who now feel, either right or wrong, you had lied to them.