• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rumors on Street Talk

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Former MVCI Employee

We were NOT going to purchase, just take advantage of Canyon Villa preview package. But then hubby decided it would be nice to own a vacation week. And we spoke w/several resort guests, all owners, who were thrilled with their purchases. ANd as I always told folks on the phone(I sold preview pacakges), would Marriott risk its reputation by offering something that is not above board? We only discovered TUG after the fact. We're not sorry that we purchased and so far it's worked out well. But we did finance and were happy to receive the points.
So when our letter arrived in yesterday's mail, I, too was angered. I immediately called the number given in the letter and pretty much was told "tough ***"
So I then sent off an email to MVCI, our sales rep, Steve Weisz(Pres and CEO of MVCI). Also tried to email Bill himself but every permutation bounced back.
Well didn't I get a phone call early this AM from MVCI sales rep? so here's the scoop - they are towing company line that no Marriott employee will lose his/her job in this tough economy. And this may be only temporary suspension, if program resumes, our point deposits will resume, and possibly retroactively. I will attach copy of the note I sent so as not to repeat myself.
When I realized I was getting nowhere, I did mention that my hotel certificate that I still had "banked" from redeeming travel pkge via points was set to expire in June (we're using miles to fly to Mexico for son's wedding). Rep immediately offered to extend for one year so at least I got something for my efforts. Hey, if you don't speak up, you are sure to get nothing!
Thanks all for posting such helpful info!!!

email sent 11/17

>Hi Deborah. Mark and I received your email about your big move to Newport Beach - congrats! And we hope that all is going well.
>Truthfully, that isn't why I'm writing. I just got off the phone w/owner services and I must tell you how very disappointed I am in Marriott's latest business decision. As you may or may not recall, the main reason we purchased our CV week was that I, as a former MVCI employee, truly believed that Marriott was an honorable and above- board ts company. Now it seems that my bubble has been burst. I can still see you doing all your point shennanigans on that big white board. So Mark and I not only purchased, but financed through Marriott w/incentive of receiving 50,000 bonus points annually. The interest rate was high, to be sure, but we really didn't want to go another route. I totally understand that Marriott, too, is being affected by this world-wide economic slowdown. But it seems to me that an option could have been offered - current interest rate and maintain point bonus, OR, reduce interest rate and discontinue point option. I am sure there are folks who would have been willing to pay more for the privilege of earning extra points and there would have been others happy to take advantage of the reduction in the rate, to mirror more accurately the current economic trend.
>I don't know how, in good faith, I can honestly believe in the Marriott brand at this time. I know that there is no market for resale or I"d dump my week tomorrow. But I surely won't purchase additional weeks or refer anyone to MVCI.
>I'm really sorry it has come to this. I wish Marriott had taken a different tactic. But the die is cast and we will all be forced to live with the fall-out.
>I'm cc'ing Bill Marriott, although I doubt that it will EVER reach his desktop.
>

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sad part of all this is that a lot of these "Marriott Financed Buyers" may not be able to refinance their timeshare purchases at a lower interest rates due to the current financial situation and limited lending sources.