• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards Credit Card Card Number Stolen

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Last Sunday night I was in the middle of paying my Marriott timeshare fees and I received a fraud alert on the card. It was for a $2 purchase at a life insurance company. Before hitting enter to pay my timeshare fees I answered the text. Well, of course, they closed my account. I then hit enter to pay my fees but it was too late. I lost 13,780 points because I didn’t hit enter on the timeshare fees transaction before answering the fraud text.

Scary thing is that I ONLY used this card for Marriott purchases. DW and I went to Aruba in Sept, we stayed at Fairfield Inns multiple times in SC and once in Orlando. The only other place the card information was stored is on the Marriot.com website. It had to be a Marriott employee that stole the card information!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Last Sunday night I was in the middle of paying my Marriott timeshare fees and I received a fraud alert on the card. It was for a $2 purchase at a life insurance company. Before hitting enter to pay my timeshare fees I answered the text. Well, of course, they closed my account. I then hit enter to pay my fees but it was too late....

That's a shame... You may want to alert the insurer.
They may elect to cut-off their customer.

But what I'd like to know is...
What life insurance company sells anything for $2?
Why didn't they buy something more fun to use.
I've had shoes and rental cars fraudulently charged.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your card doesn't necessarily have to be stolen. When my Son was in Iraq in the Marine Corps I checked his Accounts every morning when I checked mine. All of a sudden he had 4 charges using his Debit Card in Green Bay, WI in gradually escalating amounts. But get this. For over 6 months his card had been in my safe in Texas. When I discussed this to Wells Fargo (who handled it just fine) their only explanation was "it happens"...

George

Last edited:

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club

I wondered the same thing. Good point, a customer may have just mistyped the number by mistake. I’ll call the insurance company and see what information they will give me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I suspect the $2 charge was a test run to see if the card was still active/real. Then once confirmed they would go for the gusto!

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I wondered the same thing. Good point, a customer may have just mistyped the number by mistake. I’ll call the insurance company and see what information they will give me.

Without the policy number there’s no way to do a search. But while I was on the line, I entered my zip code to see if I could have mon-eeee delivered directly to my account. I wanted to get all the benefits I deserve. It was dy-no-mite! I urge you to call noooow!

DJensen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just noticed 2 charges on my Citi American Airlines card from Spotify - 9/30/21 and 1/8/22, both for $9.99. Contacted Spotify via chat function (no telephone support) and they were very good at identifying the account and shutting it down. I then called Citi and had a new card issued. The world of credit card scams is vast - guessing this person had a rotation of accounts they used for charges since no transactions on my account for October, November or December.

MUST stay on top of your transactions!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Didn't Marriott have a data breach a few years ago? I think it was actually under Starwood around the time of the merger.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Yes, the Marriott/ Starwood hack was one of the great mega-hacks, up there along with the Equifax hack.

Consequences from these breaches may not occur for several years. I received a letter from the California Employment Development Department (EDD) about a month ago informing me that my application for disability insurance was being processed. The only problem: I am not disabled and had not applied. Thinking about it, I suspect this was most likely a result of the Equifax breach in 2017.

So I am the Iceman. Everything about me is frozen and has been for several years. But now I've added a credit freeze at Clarity Services. As I understand things, Clarity handles "alternative" loan services, particularly for people without an extensive credit history. Look them up, then consider freezing your credit file there in addition to freezing Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I suspect the $2 charge was a test run to see if the card was still active/real. Then once confirmed they would go for the gusto!

Just yesterday I had my main day-to-day use card canceled because someone ran a $0.36 test charge on it. I learned a long time ago to put all my recurring changes (which I also keep a list of) on a separate card only for that purpose and it stays in a drawer. Saves immense amounts of time and hassle when the inevitable fraudulent charge happens and the card is instantly cancelled.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I was sitting a home when the Fraud Department of Citibank called my home. They asked if I was in a restaurant 100 miles away (in a city I have never been to) trying to charge a $95 or so meal to my account.

Of course I was not (and I have no idea how the Citibank knew that) so they declined the charge and cancelled the card immediately.

I hope the guy enjoyed the meal he thought I was buying for him but I bet he had to either wash a lot of dishes or pay cash to get out of there!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Without the policy number there’s no way to do a search....

Some merchants can ID and cancel a transaction with just a card #.

I recently went to JC Penney to return a item without a store receipt.
The clerk tried two CC #'s, and found the charge (among several).
It was quickly credited to the card.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This si next to impossible. Card numbers are not sequential and contain checksums. Also, they would have to also match the correct expiration date and CVV with the number they entered.

Also, why did you lose out on points? Can't you wait for new card and charge again?

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Didn't Marriott have a data breach a few years ago? I think it was actually under Starwood around the time of the merger.

GetawaysRus is correct and Dioxide45 took this thread where I wanted. I know about the previous hacks (yes, they’ve had several), I was fishing to see if anyone else had their Marriott card hacked recently. If so, it’s a bigger hack of the Marriott systems. If not, it’s more likely that my card was skimmed at the timeshare in Aruba or at one of the Fairfield Inns I visited this past year.

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
This si next to impossible. Card numbers are not sequential and contain checksums. Also, they would have to also match the correct expiration date and CVV with the number they entered.

Also, why did you lose out on points? Can't you wait for new card and charge again?

It’s a 1/1000 shot. Transpose a single digit and their 3 digit CVV is the same as mine. Not likely, but possible.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just me being way too curious about things, how is it that you found this forum (your 1st post, joined today) to ask the question to?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without the policy number there’s no way to do a search. But while I was on the line, I entered my zip code to see if I could have mon-eeee delivered directly to my account. I wanted to get all the benefits I deserve. It was dy-no-mite! I urge you to call noooow!
This post is very odd.

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
This is just me being way too curious about things, how is it that you found this forum (your 1st post, joined today) to ask the question to?

I’ve been a lurker on this site for years, but I’ve never had anything to contribute.

Last edited:

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
This post is very odd.

Sorry, in Florida, Jimmy J. J. Walker has a very annoying commercial for Medicare Advantage that plays constantly. The words in the post match the lines in commercial. I thought the commercial was nationwide and everyone would know what I was talking about.

Shelby_GT500

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club

Sorry, I missed this part of the post. My maintenance fees were dues on 12 January. If they were late, an 18% late fee was assessed. So, I paid with a different (Citibank) card. As of today, Friday 14 January, I still haven’t received my new card.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

The MFs were probably due before the new card would have arrived.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It’s a 1/1000 shot. Transpose a single digit and their 3 digit CVV is the same as mine. Not likely, but possible.
But no two credit card numbers are the same.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
But no two credit card numbers are the same.

They could be, if they came from a parallel universe.
-- Ref: Sliders (1995-2000) & Fringe (2008-2013).