• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott points no value: resale

TUG Member
Reaction score
pls advise which of these statements are not correct based on informatin available as of Jan 1,2012

1:3500 MVC points wil cost you $38,290

2: 3500 MVC poitns will have annual dues of $1435

3: if I buy 3500 MVC points as resale
A: i have to pay the buyer a certain dollar amount per point, fully negotiable buyer and seller, on open market.
B: Incredible high by any previous standard MVC Resort Transfer fee is now being charged.

4: The 3500 MVC points bought as resale can only be used at 59 days out.

if the (4) statemetns are correct, you could not give me those 3500 MVC points thru resale purchase.

thanks for your help

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
What is really a big question mark is 3b and 4, BUT they may very well be correct. I agree with your point of not buying such limited use points and obligating myself perpetually to the MF's on them. Moreover, like many others here, I would be wary of purchasing points directly that there may be no real resale recourse should I need/want to dispose of them.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
pls advise which of these statements are not correct based on informatin available as of Jan 1,2012

1:3500 MVC points wil cost you $38,290

2: 3500 MVC poitns will have annual dues of $1435

3: if I buy 3500 MVC points as resale
A: i have to pay the buyer a certain dollar amount per point, fully negotiable buyer and seller, on open market.
B: Incredible high by any previous standard MVC Resort Transfer fee is now being charged.

4: The 3500 MVC points bought as resale can only be used at 59 days out.

if the (4) statemetns are correct, you could not give me those 3500 MVC points thru resale purchase.

thanks for your help

Just a comment; I would have thought that you may have been far better off holding on to your Platinum Desert Springs week and enrolling it into the points program to obtain the points you're looking to buy...

You're far better off converting weeks into points than buying points outright.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time Traveler: I want nothng to do with Marriott Vacation club any more!
I just am trying to learn in this thread from others, for my own self eductation reasons

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just a comment; I would have thought that you may have been far better off holding on to your Platinum Desert Springs week and enrolling it into the points program to obtain the points you're looking to buy...

You're far better off converting weeks into points than buying points outright

I agree, I think enrolling legacy weeks is a far better option than buying trust points, retail or resale. In most cases, the MF per point on a platinum legacy week is less than those on trust points.

Omken

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread.......

I looked into purchasing 5000 points listed for sale and found out the following:

1. Closing costs $525
2. Transfer fee $4,000
3. Marriott representative told me that buyers of 3rd party Vacation Points would be limited to only 60 days advance for making reservations.

So....... The way I read this is that Marriott claims that they have first right of refusal on resales but first you need to get an offer and and they will make that decision when the title company submits the transfer request. With the limitations that they impose, there will be very little demand for 3rd party buyers, which if there are any offers it will be so low that Marriott will repurchase your investment at less than 50% of what you initially invested.

Also, does anyone know at what point Marriott has to stop selling points? What a great deal for them, keep selling Vacation Points which would limit availability, and at the same time control the resale market so that you are forced to sell to them at a substantial loss.

Am I missing something or is this the real deal? I am looking to purchase but unless I am looking to buy without ever wanting to sell, and unless Marriott has some limitation on how much they can sell to control the availability, this is not feeling like a sound investment.

Please let me know if I am overlooking something, as this is all new to me!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
3. Marriott representative told me that buyers of 3rd party Vacation Points would be limited to only 60 days advance for making reservations.

I am not sure how accurate the 60 day limitation is. While this is a provision in the exchange company documents, it is understood that resale points can't be enrolled in the exchange company. So this provision wouldn't apply. I also don't understand how they can limit the ownership reservation rights of an owner. The resale points owner should have the same rights as every other trust points owner to reserve trust inventory. In the same way that a resale weeks owner has the same rights as a direct weeks owner has to make a home resort reservation.

I will have to look through the trust point sales documents to see if I can uncover more details on this.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked into purchasing 5000 points listed for sale and found out the following:

1. Closing costs $525
2. Transfer fee $4,000

If true, this is nuts. If not true, someone please post the truth.

George

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know at what point Marriott has to stop selling points? What a great deal for them, keep selling Vacation Points which would limit availability, and at the same time control the resale market so that you are forced to sell to them at a substantial loss.

They cannot sell points indefinitely. There is a fixed number of points based on the inventory that was put into the points system when DC started. The only way to add points to the system is through the addition of new weeks either through the acquisition of legacy weeks or the development of new properties.

However, by limiting resales they have essentially given themselves an ongoing supply of points as owners will be forced to simply walk away since there is no other way to get out.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
They cannot sell points indefinitely. There is a fixed number of points based on the inventory that was put into the points system when DC started. The only way to add points to the system is through the addition of new weeks either through the acquisition of legacy weeks or the development of new properties.

However, by limiting resales they have essentially given themselves an ongoing supply of points as owners will be forced to simply walk away since there is no other way to get out.

Exactly! Marriott wants to sell their points without any competition from the resale market. Resale points outside of Marriott will always have excessive restrictions.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how accurate the 60 day limitation is. While this is a provision in the exchange company documents, it is understood that resale points can't be enrolled in the exchange company. So this provision wouldn't apply. I also don't understand how they can limit the ownership reservation rights of an owner. The resale points owner should have the same rights as every other trust points owner to reserve trust inventory. In the same way that a resale weeks owner has the same rights as a direct weeks owner has to make a home resort reservation.

I will have to look through the trust point sales documents to see if I can uncover more details on this.

Take a look at Schedule "2" of the document titled

"EXCHANGE PROCEDURES FOR MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB DESTINATIONS EXCHANGE PROGRAM"

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Take a look at Schedule "2" of the document titled

"EXCHANGE PROCEDURES FOR MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB DESTINATIONS EXCHANGE PROGRAM"

I agree that there is a provision there that limits reservations to 60 days for "Members who do not pay the initiation fee for a transferred Interest." However, this document relates specifically to making a reservation through the exchange company. A trust point owner has other ownership rights and in cases where they want to make reservations of trust inventory, they wouldn't be bound to the exchange company procedures.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Those provisions will continue to exist until Marriott is unable to sell points to new buyers. If prospective buyers become leery of purchasing points because of a lack of a resale market Marriott will change the rules. Simple as that. They are in control and presently strangling the poor resale buyers right now. It's all about money.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that there is a provision there that limits reservations to 60 days for "Members who do not pay the initiation fee for a transferred Interest." However, this document relates specifically to making a reservation through the exchange company. A trust point owner has other ownership rights and in cases where they want to make reservations of trust inventory, they wouldn't be bound to the exchange company procedures.

The same text is repeated in the MultiState Public Offering Document ("POS") in regards to Trust Owners

Part III. MULTISTATE PUBLIC OFFERING STATEMENT TEXT

Section 4. Priority Reservation Features

Subsection e. Open Reservation Period
(See page 10 of the doc; page 33 of the pdf file. I can't copy and paste because the pdf consists of images of each page.)

If you don't have the POS (I know what you're thinking, but it is Mariott's acronym for the Public Offering Statement) PM me and I can email it to you. The file size is 20 meg.

Or if you are planning a TS stay, ask a saleperson for the Points Documents CD-ROM.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think you already provided me with the document as I was looking through this document. Here is the provision relating to the sale and transfer of trust points. Lets chew on this. This is from page 43 of the POS document you are referring to.

I was able to capture the text using an online OCR tool. So there may be some errors due to the OCR tool not accurately capturing at 100% accuracy.

11. Upon the Sale, Transfer, Conveyance or Lease of an Interestin a Multisite Timeshare Plan.

The sale, lease, or transfer of interests in this multisite timeshare plan is restricted or controlled.

Other than a conveyance of all of a Beneficiary's Interests, no Beneficiary, other than Developer, and subject to Section 4.2 of the Trust Agreement, shall voluntarily sell, transfer, assign, or hypothecate any number of Interests, the sale, transfer, assignment, or hypothecation of which will result in the Beneficiary or any other Beneficiary owning less than a Base Interest. Except as otherwise set forth in the Trust Agreement and the Bylaws, no Base Interest may be subdivided by any Beneficiary other than Developer. The Association Delegee is not required to accept any reservation requests for a Use Period from a Beneficiary who owns less than a Base Interest at any time other than during the Open Reservation Period. The number of Interests comprising a Base Interest may in the future be modified by Developer in its sole discretion.

Subject to Developer's right of first refusal and leasing restrictions as described below, the right of a Beneficiary to sell, transfer, assign or hypothecate the Beneficiary's Interest will not be subject to the approval of Developer, Trustee, or the Association. Accordingly, a proper transfer or conveyance of such Interest will not require the written approval of Developer, Trustee, or the Association. However, in accordance with the Bylaws and applicable Florida law, a Beneficiary is required to notify Developer, the Association, and Trustee of any change in information kept in the Registry by Trustee upon the transfer or conveyance of an Interest, and for payment of any membership education fee required under the Trust Plan Documents. Until such written notice is received the seller of such Interest will remain liable for the payment of all Assessments, taxes, and other fees then due or which may later become due with relation to the Interest. Further, until payment of the member education fee is received, the owner of such Interests will not be entitled to use the Points associated with the Interest, and will not be entitled to reserve any Accommodations.

Upon the sale of an Interest, Program Manager may require the payment of an initiation fee. Until payment of the initiation fee is received (or waived by Program Manager), the owner of such Interest(s) will not be entitled to reserve any non-Trust Accommodations with the Points associated with such Interest(s) except during the Open Reservation Period; however, payment of the initiation fee will restore the ability to make reservations during the Priority 1 Period, the Priority 2 Period, and the Priority 3 Period. If the purchase of an Interest is not made from a Developer or an Approved Broker, then the owner of such Interest(s) will not be entitled to access all of the Exchange Benefits offered by Program Manager in its sole and absolute discretion, even if the initiation fee is paid.

In consideration of the affirmative obligations of and benefits to all Beneficiaries provided by Developer under the Trust Agreement, when any Interest is offered for sale, Developer will have the exclusive option to purchase such Interest at the price and on the other terms of any bona fide offer made in writing to the Beneficiary at such time and submitted to Developer for verification. Each Beneficiary will notify Developer in writing of its intent to sell its Interest and provide Developer with a copy of the offer received. Such notice will include the full terms and conditions of the sale, and the full name and primary address of the prospective true buyer (as distinguished from agents and intermediaries). Notice of a Beneficiary's intent to sell will be sent to Developer at 6649 Westwood Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32821-6090 or such other department or address as may be designated by Developer from time to time. Developer will have thirty (30) days after receipt of such notice to exercise its option to purchase the Interest at the same price and on the same monetary terms and conditions as the verified offer. If Developer does not notify the Beneficiary of its election to purchase the Interest within such thirty (30) day period, then the Beneficiary may sell the Interest to the subject bona fide offeror subject to the Trust Agreement and to all limitations set forth in the Trust Agreement, at a price not lower than that at which it was offered to eveloper. In addition, any permitted sale between a Beneficiary and a bona fide third party will be deemed to contain a provision requiring that any sums due to the Association as Assessments must be paid in full as a condition of closing of the sale. Should, however, such sale to a third party not be consummated within four (4) months after the date the offer is transmitted to Developer at the price and terms equal to or less favorable than those offered to Developer, the terms and limitations of Developer's right of first refusal will again be imposed on any sale by a Beneficiary. If Developer elects to purchase such Interest, the transaction will be consummated on the terms offered; provided, however, that Developer will have a minimum of thirty (30) days from the delivery of notice of Developer's election to exercise Developer's option to consummate the transaction. Developer may impose an administrative charge in connection with the waiver of this right of first refusal.

The right of a Beneficiary to lease or rent the Use Period(s) related to the Beneficiary's Interest (or enter into any other agreement relating to use of the Trust Property if not designated as a "lease") for periods of less than three (3) years shall not be subject to the approval of the Association; however, notice of such lease or rental of any Use Period must be delivered to the Association within five (5) days after the Beneficiary's agreement to lease or rent. Any leasing or rental agreements must set forth or will be deemed to have set forth an acknowledgment and consent on the part of the lessee-sublessee-tenant to use, occupy, and possess such Use Period and the Trust Property in conformance and compliance with the provisions of the Trust Agreement and the other Trust Plan Documents. In the event a Beneficiary fails to secure a written leasing or rental agreement, the Association shall have the right to require the lesseesublessee-tenant to execute an acknowledgment to use and occupy the rental or leased Use Period and the Trust Property in conformance with the Trust Agreement and the other Trust Plan Documents.

The expectation of deriving any profit or gain should not be a consideration in the decision to purchase an Interest in the Trust.
Generally, a Beneficiary should expect substantial competition from Developer and no established resale market in the event a Beneficiary desires to resell an Interest.

Interests are offered for sale for personal use and enjoyment only, and the expectation of achieving capital appreciation or any other financial return or valuable benefit, including, but not limited to, any tax benefit, should not be a consideration in the decision to purchase.

The Trust anticipates that the Trust will be treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes and will, therefore, file annually a Form 1065 - U.S. Return of Partnership Income, to the extent the Trust determines it is required. Consequently, the trust's items of income, gain, loss, deduction and credit would flow through to, and be reflected on, each Beneficiary's individual income tax return. To assist the Beneficiary in properly reflecting these items, if any, on the Beneficiary's income tax return, the Trust will send to the Beneficiary, to the extent the Trust determines it is required, a summary of such Beneficiary's share of such items, if any, in the form of a Form 1065 Schedule K-1. Generally, distributions made to a Beneficiary (other than liquidating distributions), if any, will not affect a Beneficiary's distributive share of flow through income or loss from the Trust. The Beneficiaries acknowledge and agree that the Board will have the sole discretion and authority to make or revoke any tax elections on behalf of the Trust.

For income tax purposes only, the transfer of an Interest by the Developer to a Beneficiary will be characterized by the Developer and the Trust as the transfer by the Developer to such Beneficiary of: (1) the rights to use (in accordance with the Trust Plan Documents) all Trust Property held or to be held in the Trust for which a Notice of Use Rights has been or is delivered (the "Use Rights"); and (2) an economic interest in the portion of the Trust treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes (the "Economic Rights"). The Economic Rights consist primarily of the right to receive cash distributions from the Trust in the event that any Trust Property (other than Restricted Use Property) held by the Trust is sold and the sales proceeds are not fully reinvested in other Trust Property for which a Notice of Use Rights has been or is delivered, as more particularly provided in the Trust Plan Documents. The purchase price paid by the Beneficiary to the Developer will be allocated between the Use Rights and the Economic Rights in such proportions as determined by the Developer. This allocation of purchase price will be used to determine the Beneficiary's initial tax basis in her or his Use Rights and the Beneficiary's initial tax basis in her or his Economic Rights.

The foregoing statements in this discussion are based upon current provisions of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended from time to time, existing and currently proposed Treasury Regulations, and existing administrative rulings and judicial decisions, all of which are subject to change, and such statements are only a general summary of certain federal income tax considerations that may be relevant to a prospective Beneficiary. The effect of existing federal income tax laws and the income tax laws of any applicable state or local taxing authority will vary with the particular circumstances of each Beneficiary.
With respect to federal, state, and local tax consequences of acquiring an Interest as they may relate to an individual Beneficiary, each Beneficiary should consult with and rely on her or his own professional tax advisor. In no event should the Trust, the Developer, or any of their respective affiliates, counsel, or any other professional advisors or counsel engaged by an of them, be considered as providing legal or tax advice or opinions or as guarantors of the tax consequences of ownership of any Interest acquired from the Developer. Beneficiaries should look to, and solely rely on, their own professional tax advisors with respect to the tax consequences of any Interest acquired from the Developer.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The same text is repeated in the MultiState Public Offering Document ("POS") in regards to Trust Owners

(See page 10 of the doc; page 33 of the pdf file. I can't copy and paste because the pdf consists of images of each page.)

If you don't have the POS (I know what you're thinking, but it is Mariott's acronym for the Public Offering Statement) PM me and I can email it to you. The file size is 20 meg.

Or if you are planning a TS stay, ask a saleperson for the Points Documents CD-ROM.

Here is the OCR from the section you are referring to. I don't see anything restricting reservations to the 60 day open reservation period for owners of resale trust points.

e. Open Reservation Period. The Open Reservation Period is the period beginning sixty (60) days before the first day of a given unreserved Use Period during which Beneficiaries (for themselves, Family Members and/or Guests) or Association Delegee can reserve use of an Accommodation for the current Use Year, subject to the Call-in Calendar, on a space available, first-come, first-served subject to availability basis as set forth in the Reservation Procedures. Beneficiaries owning less than a Base Interest and Beneficiaries utilizing Points deposited in a Holding Account (as defined in the Reservation Procedures) shall only be permitted to make reservations for Use Periods during the Open Reservation Period. Except as otherwise provided in the Reservation Procedures, there is no minimum number of consecutive evenings required for Use Periods reserved during the Open Reservation Period; however, all reservations are subject to applicable minimum durations of stay for certain Markets or at certain Components as shown on the Point Schedule.

Beneficiaries may reserve a Use Period at any Component during the Open Reservation Period. Family Members and Guests may also stay in an Accommodation at any Component as Open Reservation Time, subject to availability; however, the sponsoring Beneficiary must make the reservations for such use. In no event shall Open Reservation Time be used for any commercial purpose (including but not limited to, the rental of an Accommodation reserved as Open Reservation Time). Beneficiaries who are determined, in the sole discretion of Association Delegee, to have violated this restriction on commercial use may be subject to penalties within the sole discretion of Association Delegee, including but not limited to, the loss of such Beneficiary's access to Open Reservation Time and cancellation of existing Open Reservation Time reservations.

During the Open Reservation Period, Association Delegee has the right to reserve available Use Periods for (i) the purposes of customer relations, public relations and employee relations; (ii) marketing, promoting, and sales of Interests, vacation ownership interests, programs, or vacation products at other resort condominiums or club resorts, or such other vacation ownership, multisite vacation ownership, and membership or exchange plans developed or marketed by Association Delegee or its affiliates from time to time; or (iii) the purpose of renting unreserved Use Periods to third parties.

Last edited:

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Marriott will have to stop selling points

Shortly after the destinations program came out I posted on TUG what I had found Buried in the trust documents about MVCI reserving the right to charge up to 1.00$ usd per point for waiving ROFR.

The long and short of this is that practically, MVCI will never run out of destinations points to sell. They will repossess enough points on defaults or will exercise rofr on the desperate. So those willing to buy resale will be buying restricted flexchange in esseence.

I am sitting in a three bedroom at Marriott Surf Club while writing this. Rented from another owner. I use my foxrun and grande vistas to flexchange. When I want week 52 or 1 I pay the going rate and don't look back. Clearly the better option. I will still buy legacy weeks at Marriott's on the resale market, but I
But won't buy points.

1. Closing costs $525
2. Transfer fee $4,000

So....... The way I read this is that Marriott claims that they have first right of refusal on resales but first you need to get an offer and and they will make that decision when the title company submits the transfer request. With the limitations that they impose, there will be very little demand for 3rd party buyers, which if there are any offers it will be so low that Marriott will repurchase your investment at less than 50% of what you initially invested.

Am I missing something or is this the real deal? I am looking to purchase but unless I am looking to buy without ever wanting to sell, and unless Marriott has some limitation on how much they can sell to control the availability, this is not feeling like a sound investment.

Please let me know if I am overlooking something, as this is all new to me!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think this may be the key paragraph along with my interpretation.

Upon the sale of an Interest, Program Manager may require the payment of an initiation fee. Until payment of the initiation fee is received (or waived by Program Manager), the owner of such Interest(s) will not be entitled to reserve any non-Trust Accommodations with the Points associated with such Interest(s)

I take this to mean the resale trust points owner won't be able to make reservations of exchange company inventory during priority periods 1, 2, and 3.

except during the Open Reservation Period;

The resale trust point owner will be able reserve exchange company accommodations in the 60 day open reservation period without paying the initiation fee.

however, payment of the initiation fee will restore the ability to make reservations during the Priority 1 Period, the Priority 2 Period, and the Priority 3 Period.

If they pay the initiation fee, they will have full rights to reserve exchange company accommodations during Priority Periods 1, 2 and 3.

If the purchase of an Interest is not made from a Developer or an Approved Broker, then the owner of such Interest(s) will not be entitled to access all of the Exchange Benefits offered by Program Manager in its sole and absolute discretion, even if the initiation fee is paid.

"Access all" is the term I am seeing. In my interpretation this would perhaps mean they can't access explorer collection or cruise benefits of the exchange company. Even if they pay the initiation fee.

Last edited:

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

I take this to mean the resale trust points owner won't be able to make reservations of exchange company inventory during priority periods 1, 2, and 3.

The resale trust point owner will be able reserve exchange company accommodations in the 60 day open reservation period without paying the initiation fee.

If they pay the initiation fee, they will have full rights to reserve exchange company accommodations during Priority Periods 1, 2 and 3.

"Access all" is the term I am seeing. In my interpretation this would perhaps mean they can't access explorer collection or cruise benefits of the exchange company. Even if they pay the initiation fee.

I think the cruise benefits and explorer collection are 'special benefits' and the term exchange benefits refers to the ability to reserve exchange co inventory. See generally the lists of defined terms in several of the docs.

Having said that, I took another look at the documents. That doc I was referring to is applicable to the exchange company. My bad.

The Trust Points Reservation Procedures ("TPRP") doc appears on 157 - 178 of the pdf.

There's a Schedule 2 attached to this TPRP doc. which is virtually identical to the Schedule 2 of the Exchange Company doc.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a post discussing on the Trust Point side of the document because we as weeks owners were looking at what applied to us. Moreover, it is very easy to confuse the rules of the exchange company with the rules associated with Trust Point Reservations.

Two items stood out.

First, there is a 'member education fee' charged to new Trust Point owners. I am assuming this is in addition to the ROFR fee. Marriott reserves the right to charge any fee it wants for 'member education.' That fee is waived for existing Trust point owners. (See Section VI D. of TPRP)

Second, the points are considered 'penalty box points' with respect to reserving Trust owned property if ANY initiation fees are not paid by the owner. (Schedule 2 of TPRP)

That is interesting language, particularly in light of the fact that this document specifically states that the only transaction fee currently assessed by the Program Manager is the membership education fee. (Section IV G of TPRP)

So what initiation fee can language in Schedule 2 possibly be referring to? It can only be referring to the initiation fee for joining the exchange company. There simply are no other 'initiation' fees mentioned in the docs.

Moreover, the plain language of the bylaws of the MVC Trust Owners Association, Inc. Article XXVIII Section 2 makes it pretty clear that the exchange company and trust are akin to conjoined twins. (See pdf file pages 103 - 145)

Last, Marriott has the right to prevent a resale purchaser from joining the exchange company. If the resale purchaser can't join, the initiation fee won't be paid.

Resale points from a source other than an Approved Broker? You can't join the exchange co.

If you can't join the exchange co you can't pay the initiation fee.

No initiation fee? No exchange co reservations.

the owner of such Interest(s) will not be entitled to reserve any non-Trust Accommodations with the Points associated with such Interest(s)

Unpaid initiation fee(s)? The TPRP indicates clearly that your points are holding account points.

Are the points purchased resale (from anyone other than an approved broker) penalty box points?

I wouldn't make any large bets that they are not.

Last edited:

pfrank4127

TUG Member
Reaction score

Was reading this thread and saw this listing tonight on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260928105687?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So do we think the "initiation fee" is what the seller is calling the MVC transfer fee for $2095? Are the points free and clear then?

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
$2500 for free points you can only use 60 days out! No thanks.
Marriott will continue to keep tight restrictions until they have no more points to sell, which is never.

pfrank4127

TUG Member
Reaction score
$2500 for free points you can only use 60 days out! No thanks.
Marriott will continue to keep tight restrictions until they have no more points to sell, which is never.

I was reading this thread differently. If the buyer pays the $2500 then the points lose the restrictions....

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Maybe I misunderstood

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was reading this thread and saw this listing tonight on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260928105687?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So do we think the "initiation fee" is what the seller is calling the MVC transfer fee for $2095? Are the points free and clear then?

I'm curious as to how the MF on 1,000 points can be $575. Thought the MF/pt currently amounts to $0.41. That information is easy to obtain and/or verify.

The $2,095 amount? There's no way I know of to independently verify the $2,095 or the components thereof.

Accordingly, I have little confidence in the accuracy of any of the representations made by the seller in this listing.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is the same seller of a 1,500-Point contract that was put on eBay twice. We watched those auctions in a couple other threads here and here, and I don't think they ever answered questions from TUGgers/interested buyers as completely as we would have liked. Certainly they didn't give the impression that they knew enough about what they were selling to inspire any confidence, not unless they've since learned the answers and are willing to give them now.