• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Newport Coast Villas. Good deal? [Merged]

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
When do you typically get weeks? How far out do you book?

As b2bailey correctly said, booking Platinum weeks for June, July, August or September can sometimes be very difficult as that is the most desirable time for folks at that particular Resort, and everyone wants to always book that time frame.

Marriott has this same booking issue during the winter (Platinum Season) for January, February, and March at Resorts such as Marriott's Ocean Pointe. The more weeks you own there make it easier to book because you can begin booking at the 13 month mark.

The same demand booking exists at all of the Resorts that Marriott manages on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina during June, July and August.

With that said, the more weeks you own then the easier "it may be" to book weeks during those high demand time frames.

Now you can do consecutive, or concurrent booking, so the cheap way around your situation may be to buy a Platinum week at Marriott's Grand Chateau, lock it off, and begin booking your two weeks there and then book your 3rd week at NCV. Just a thought!

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Also, your second week can be at other Marriott Resorts, and you can get the 13-month window at NCV if they are concurrent or consecutive.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't give you exact numbers, but many NCV Platinum week owners own more than one week.........

I'm just going to chime in here one more time to say clearly -- do not buy Newport Coast with an expectation of being able to book your week in the June - August timeframe. You will be sorely disappointed.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
I'm just going to chime in here one more time to say clearly -- do not buy Newport Coast with an expectation of being able to book your week in the June - August timeframe. You will be sorely disappointed.
I'm ok with other school breaks too. Summer just works best. A vacation is still a vacation, even in October. ♡

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or possibly buy 2 weeks that can be reserved at the 13 month window. Possibly one of those could be elsewhere but reservable at the same time frame. A Grande Vista, Harbour Lake or Willow Ridge Platinum week would work well and WR will be the one that probably would be best since it's calendar is very simlar to the platinum calendar at NC. So buy WR, split the week, reserve 13 weeks earlier starting from the THURSDAY of the first check in at WR with NC being the last of the 3 weeks. Then exchange the WR weeks. The Orlando weeks would do the same for summer but their calendar doesn't stretch as long for platinum as WR.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or possibly buy 2 weeks that can be reserved at the 13 month window. Possibly one of those could be elsewhere but reservable at the same time frame. A Grande Vista, Harbour Lake or Willow Ridge Platinum week would work well and WR will be the one that probably would be best since it's calendar is very simlar to the platinum calendar at NC. So buy WR, split the week, reserve 13 weeks earlier starting from the THURSDAY of the first check in at WR with NC being the last of the 3 weeks. Then exchange the WR weeks. The Orlando weeks would do the same for summer but their calendar doesn't stretch as long for platinum as WR.
For the benefit of OP, the above is a bit difficult to conceptualize. I'll out out my specific situation. I own two Marriott weeks. Bought my second week at Timberlodge in Lake Tahoe, without any thought to future use/desire to use 13 month advantage at Newport Coast. (Hadn't yet discovered difficulty of reserving summer week at NBC because I was exchanging it through II to avoid construction build out noise.)

Okay, fast forward to today. My Timberlodge season ends the last week of May. (Which was fine for me because we always reserved Memorial Holiday week.) BUT... The only consecutive week that I could book would be first week of June. And that isn't good for me because grandkids are still in school.

My point being that you have to study reservation window logistics very carefully. Also, if you use the strategy to deposit to II, you will incur additional fees to exchange.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
For the benefit of OP, the above is a bit difficult to conceptualize. I'll out out my specific situation. I own two Marriott weeks. Bought my second week at Timberlodge in Lake Tahoe, without any thought to future use/desire to use 13 month advantage at Newport Coast. (Hadn't yet discovered difficulty of reserving summer week at NBC because I was exchanging it through II to avoid construction build out noise.)

Okay, fast forward to today. My Timberlodge season ends the last week of May. (Which was fine for me because we always reserved Memorial Holiday week.) BUT... The only consecutive week that I could book would be first week of June. And that isn't good for me because grandkids are still in school.

My point being that you have to study reservation window logistics very carefully. Also, if you use the strategy to deposit to II, you will incur additional fees to exchange.
It certainly is harder if you are just trying to get a single specific week.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have several weeks at NCV, however, three friends own either a single week or two weeks. Although the families with two weeks have difficulty booking them consecutively or concurrently At the 13 month for late July, they are batting 1000 for booking them singly at 12 months. We are now 14 out of 14 successful bookings at the 12 month window in the last few years. Of course these happened at 6 am Pacific time right when the window opened.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would hope that someone versed enough to put in an offer resale, has more than a cursory understanding of the system but certainly for others reading it can get complicated in a hurry. I didn't want to post a dissertation on the 13 month window and all the weeks involved at the resorts unless needed. The largest single reason I bought my second week at Grande Ocean years ago was specifically to take advantage of the 13 month window and I bought all of my weeks o follow at least considering this issue and specifically all of my trader weeks to fit together.

The 3 resorts I mentioned have lockoff's, have a Thursday check in day and all have Platinum that covers the summer time they prefer. The advantage of WR is it has a very similar calendar for Platinum but all cover the summer for Platinum. The desert weeks (CA & AZ) might also have some applicability for this purpose and some of them have Thursday check in as well. We have no idea what they're other plans are at this point other than this one week. Is a trader a good idea? Is a second week at NC in their future? Is there somewhere else they want to go routinely that would fit together with the 13 months reservation? Do they want to get the one week and see how it goes?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Can do it at 13 months with a minimum of two weeks owned.....

What is potentially interesting is that you can buy a blue week (summer) at Desert Springs I or 2 for a very low amount and that would give you the two weeks needed to reserve at the 13 month point (in the summer). DSV1 does not have ROFR whereas DSV1 does have ROFR. But Blue weeks are much more likely to pass. You could take the DSV reservation and potentially exchange it (but it doesn't have a very high exchange value.

Alternatively, you could buy a 2nd week at Marriott Grand Chateau to get your 2nd week.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is potentially interesting is that you can buy a blue week (summer) at Desert Springs I or 2 for a very low amount and that would give you the two weeks needed to reserve at the 13 month point (in the summer). DSV1 does not have ROFR whereas DSV1 does have ROFR. But Blue weeks are much more likely to pass. You could take the DSV reservation and potentially exchange it (but it doesn't have a very high exchange value.

Alternatively, you could buy a 2nd week at Marriott Grand Chateau to get your 2nd week.

Good point, but I think DSVII (DSV2) does have ROFR.......

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good point, but I think DSVII (DSV2) does have ROFR.......

Yes, you are correct. DSV2 DOES have ROFR. But a blue week is more likely to pass ROFR. DSV1 does NOT have ROFR. BTW, In my previous post I had commented: "DSV1 does not have ROFR whereas DSV1 does have ROFR. "

CourtShorr

Reaction score

Do either of the palm desert resorts or grand chateaux have the same seasons as NCV? (So that I can line up my bookings)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do either of the palm desert resorts or grand chateaux have the same seasons as NCV? (So that I can line up my bookings)

You don't need Platinum Seasons to book consecutive weeks. As BJR SanDiego correctly pointed out DSV1 and DSVII have Blue Weeks in the summer time.

What you are looking for are summer weeks, and they can have different designations depending on where the Timeshare is actually located. Summer weeks are Gold @ Ocean Pointe, Blue @ DSV1/DSVII, Platinum @ Grand Chateau, etc.

You can line up your bookings for June, July and August with any of the above resorts (just as an example). Obviously there are many more.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
...does NCV even rent for much above annual maintenance?

I myself would love to own here but can only muster a $2500 all up price tag.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with the desert properties for this is that the season mentioned (Blue at DSVI/II or Silver at Shadow Ridge) only covers weeks 28-35, not the entire summer. So the earliest week you'd be able to get to take advantage of the 13 month window would be week 28 if you did them concurrently, 29 if you did them consecutively or week 30 if you locked off and reserved 2 weeks at one of those resorts followed by NCV which is what I think is your best option to get NCV. White/Gold would cover weeks 22-27 and would be a better trader and likely a better choice for both purposes over Blue. Enclaves and AZ Gold would cover the entire summer as they have a different calendar. LV would cover the entire summer as would Branson with Platinum. The Orlando resorts that are good trader options would also cover the entire summer. I think the basic question is how would you use the second ownership? If you could find something you'd use routinely and would satisfy this need also, that could be a win win.

Last edited:

CourtShorr

Reaction score
I think the problem with the desert properties for this is that the season mentioned (Blue at DSVI/II or Silver at Shadow Ridge) only covers weeks 28-35, not the entire summer. So the earliest week you'd be able to get to take advantage of the 13 month window would be week 28 if you did them concurrently, 29 if you did them consecutively or week 30 if you locked off and reserved 2 weeks at one of those resorts followed by NCV which is what I think is your best option to get NCV. White/Gold would cover weeks 22-27 and would be a better trader and likely a better choice for both purposes over Blue. Enclaves and AZ Gold would cover the entire summer as they have a different calendar. LV would cover the entire summer as would Branson with Platinum. The Orlando resorts that are good trader options would also cover the entire summer. I think the basic question is how would you use the second ownership? If you could find something you'd use routinely and would satisfy this need also, that could be a win win.
Great info!
I think if we purchased a second week we'd want it at NCV or would use it as a trader. Our NCV (we'll, the one we have an offer in on) will be primarily for use but we will usually only be able to go for 1 week at a time. Eventually we'd like 2 there anyway so that when our kids grow up we will have another room when we go.

Is it better to hold off and buy a 2nd at NCV or get a trader in the meantime (to take advantage of the 13th month reservation window)?

Is it likely that even with a 13th month reservation window that we won't get a summer week at NCV?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great info!
I think if we purchased a second week we'd want it at NCV or would use it as a trader. Our NCV (we'll, the one we have an offer in on) will be primarily for use but we will usually only be able to go for 1 week at a time. Eventually we'd like 2 there anyway so that when our kids grow up we will have another room when we go.

Is it better to hold off and buy a 2nd at NCV or get a trader in the meantime (to take advantage of the 13th month reservation window)?

Is it likely that even with a 13th month reservation window that we won't get a summer week at NCV?
Since you have some flexibility and have already made a commitment, I'd just complete the sale (assuming it passes ROFR) and see how it goes. Then if you have issues, you can revisit the options. I would not buy another week either at NCV or as a trader that you do not have a specific plan for within a couple of year period. I would continue to read and ask questions so you can learn more and you'll be able to answer the question as to what's best for you and your situation with real information. Of course one could have all the info and as soon as they do, something will change. Anticipating changes and realize they will happen is important IMO. I think we've given you a lot to think about but it'll take time for anyone fairly new to absorb all of the nuances. IF you go the trader route, just understand you're gambling and have more risk so be prepared. Ideally for someone new something they'll use part of the time is far more important than the perfect trader but knowing as much as possible up front will help you make a far better decision. Good luck and keep us informed please.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Since you have some flexibility and have already made a commitment, I'd just complete the sale (assuming it passes ROFR) and see how it goes. Then if you have issues, you can revisit the options. I would not buy another week either at NCV or as a trader that you do not have a specific plan for within a couple of year period. I would continue to read and ask questions so you can learn more and you'll be able to answer the question as to what's best for you and your situation with real information. Of course one could have all the info and as soon as they do, something will change. Anticipating changes and realize they will happen is important IMO. I think we've given you a lot to think about but it'll take time for anyone fairly new to absorb all of the nuances. IF you go the trader route, just understand you're gambling and have more risk so be prepared. Ideally for someone new something they'll use part of the time is far more important than the perfect trader but knowing as much as possible up front will help you make a far better decision. Good luck and keep us informed please.
Thank you! I appreciate everyone's help. Fingers crossed for FROR. We are pretty excited! Yay for vacations!

beachfun

TUG Member
Reaction score

Newbie question: Does Marriott count 2 weeks ownership for 13 month reservation window if both weeks are EOY? Or does this only apply if owned 2 weeks EVERY year? Trying to save on annual maintenance fees, while getting earlier booking window. Trying for best bang for the buck. Thanks!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newbie question: Does Marriott count 2 weeks ownership for 13 month reservation window if both weeks are EOY? Or does this only apply if owned 2 weeks EVERY year? Trying to save on annual maintenance fees, while getting earlier booking window. Trying for best bang for the buck. Thanks!
Interesting question.
I think that if you are able to book two res's from two separate units that have seasons that are either concurrent or contiguous that you can reserve at the 13 month window. Of course, if you are pairing an EOY with an annual, you can only do that once every two years.