• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Aruba RTU 2056

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping that someone can advise as to what happens to the Marriott Aruba properties when the RTU's expire in 2056?

Thx.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember someone from a past thread saying that it was most likely that the lease would be renewed (in 2056). If not, the Aruba government has to pay the developer market value for the property and the proceeds would then be distributed to the owners. This is also what my broker told me when I asked her before purchasing my MAO week.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
RTU, right to use, means exactly what it says. In 2056 Aruba might grant another lease period to MVC. If they do MVC has no obligation to the current owners. They could sell the units all over again if they desired. Or they could let the current owners continue and just keep paying MFs. Or they might not get the lease renewed.

Any speculation after 2056 is just that, speculation.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
RTU, right to use, means exactly what it says. In 2056 Aruba might grant another lease period to MVC. If they do MVC has no obligation to the current owners. They could sell the units all over again if they desired. Or they could let the current owners continue and just keep paying MFs. Or they might not get the lease renewed.

Any speculation after 2056 is just that, speculation.
Jim, maybe it is different in Europe but I have just checked the HOPA for our Playa Andaluza RTU ownership and if I read the "legalese" correctly then at the end of term
either
- after discharging any liabilities and management charges, the net proceeds of sale are
distributed to existing holiday owners in good standing
or
- the plan is renewed along with the RTU ownership for existing holiday owners in good
standing

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to assume these are good scenario's that's a positive way of looking at it,

- after discharging any liabilities and management charges, the net proceeds of sale are distributed to existing holiday owners in good standing
o

Under this solution you are assuming that after liabilities and management charges there will be money left over to divide among the owners. What if there is a net loss?

- the plan is renewed along with the RTU ownership for existing holiday owners in good standing

Under this solution it could be very costly to remain an owner. If the lease is renewed at an increased lease fee then the current owners would have to absorb that in increased MFs. It's possible that the lease could be renewed with the same terms but I would think that a highly unlikely scenario.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any history of a RTU timeshare property expiring? If so, what happened?

Timeshare has only been around for 50-ish years, and these carribbean and Mexican RTUs less than that.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I had a RTU timeshare that expired in 2011. When I originally bought, they told me I could by another contract when that one expired at the same price. We opted not to and gave it back to the resort.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a RTU timeshare that expired in 2011. When I originally bought, they told me I could by another contract when that one expired at the same price. We opted not to and gave it back to the resort.

Yeah, the RTU I just picked up expires in 2019, and I have a clause to renew for 5XMF. Thanks but no thanks, I just got this contract free.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to assume these are good scenario's that's a positive way of looking at it,

- after discharging any liabilities and management charges, the net proceeds of sale are distributed to existing holiday owners in good standing
o

Under this solution you are assuming that after liabilities and management charges there will be money left over to divide among the owners. What if there is a net loss?

- the plan is renewed along with the RTU ownership for existing holiday owners in good standing

Under this solution it could be very costly to remain an owner. If the lease is renewed at an increased lease fee then the current owners would have to absorb that in increased MFs. It's possible that the lease could be renewed with the same terms but I would think that a highly unlikely scenario.
I wasn't really looking at this as good or bad Jim, just sharing information.
With my 3x RTU weeks, I will be aged between 101 and 130 when their term ends.
I will probably worry about how to deal with it nearer the time!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Even some deeded weeks (e.g., Sabal Palms) have a time expiration. In the case of Sabal Palms it is 2046.