• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
This was not an approve drug for human consumption
Please read what this package was approve for?
Cleaning Fish Tanks

You are very definitely wrong about not being approved for human consumption.

I took Chloroquine (or Primaquine) off and on for years when I was traveling frequently to places where malaria is a threat. Both were prescribed by physicians,

It had a tendency to "clean my tanks" -- Primaquine less so than Chloroquine. I seem to have survived.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
How can you all be arguing about a drug that has been around since the year I was born, 1955, which has already been proven safe and is used for lupus and malaria? It's been proven safe for many decades, yet someone ingests fish tank cleaner, and everyone is saying this drug is unsafe.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
How can you all be arguing about a drug that has been around since the year I was born, 1955, which has already been proven safe and is used for lupus and malaria? It's been proven safe for many decades, yet someone ingests fish tank cleaner, and everyone is saying this drug is unsafe.
I think that it is unsafe for some. And ineffective for others. I had zero response to it, it is the perfect RA drug for my friend. Bodies are weird.

Anyway this is an academic discussion for us and a real life discussion for the doctors treating the patients.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was not an approve drug for human consumption.
Please read what this package was approve for?
Cleaning Fish Tanks

Chloroquine Phosphate is the one for fish.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I think that it is unsafe for some. And ineffective for others. I had zero response to it, it is the perfect RA drug for my friend. Bodies are weird.

Anyway this is an academic discussion for us and a real life discussion for the doctors treating the patients.

I think this is the key. It reacts differently to some than others. For some, it doesn’t have side effects, for some, they are mild and others life threatening. Same with effectiveness. For some it works and others not so much.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How can you all be arguing about a drug that has been around since the year I was born, 1955, which has already been proven safe and is used for lupus and malaria? ...
At what dosage level? The level needed to treat coronovirus effectively (and that is far, far from certain), the dosage level might have to be much higher than anything it was approved. How safe is it then?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just a bit cabin-feverish, I initially read the topic as...

-- "Man dies after ingesting chocolate." --
My first thought: At least he went in a state of bliss.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
... That's also the one for humans.

FDA Letter to Stakeholders: Do Not Use Chloroquine Phosphate Intended for Fish as Treatment for COVID-19 in Humans

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
They (rationally) think you should let medical professionals decide whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks of using it, and that they will use a pharmaceutical grade version.

Very much so however, feel free to choose your own poison. So to speak. ;)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Small Chloroquine Study Halted Over Risk of Fatal
Heart Complications.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More deaths, no benefit from malaria drug in VA virus study.

Richard

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every approved drug, whether Rx or OTC, has a safety and efficacy review prior to FDA approving it. Indeed, many clinical trials are stopped due to safety, which means undesirable side effects, I.e, death or other serious health problems. So not all drugs get through the completion of clinical trials. Drugs that have worked well but also have imperfect safety profiles may still be approved as FDA considers risk vs benefit. E.g.chemo drugs.

On the other hand, drugs that have lower efficacy, I.e. may only provide benefit to some patients can be approved if their safety profile is good. Claritin comes to mind. It does not work for everyone, by a long shot.

Another issue is dosing. Clinical studies also determine appropriate doses. And then there is the problem of drug interactions, sometimes one drug can make another more or less potent.

Unfortunately there were no large well controlled trials for this combination. But there are already safety profiles for both drugs and the ZPacks may have more safety issues than the hydochloroquine.

Just listen to the commercials for medications— they always list the major possible side effects at the end, it’s required by law.

I was hoping it would work, as both medicines are cheap and mostly available, but the proof will be in the data.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
Well...It turns out that this man's wife is now being investigated for intentionally poisoning her husband and thereby possibly facing a manslaughter charge!

Detectives are investigating whether the man's wife, who is well known by those around her to be mentally unstable, decided on her own to administer some of the fish tank cleaner into her husband's drink (iced tea, I believe), without his consent or knowledge to prevent him from seeking medical attention for an injured leg. The man was apparently a well respected and former brilliant engineer -- someone who, according to his friends and associates, would never take it upon himself to ingest such a concoction.

Hmmm...I wonder whether we'll ever hear this side of the story on the major networks.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well...It turns out that this man's wife is now being investigated for intentionally poisoning her husband and thereby possibly facing a manslaughter charge!

Detectives are investigating whether the man's wife, who is well known by those around her to be mentally unstable, decided on her own to administer some of the fish tank cleaner into her husband's drink (iced tea, I believe), without his consent or knowledge to prevent him from seeking medical attention for an injured leg. The man was apparently a well respected and former brilliant engineer -- someone who, according to his friends and associates, would never take it upon himself to ingest such a concoction.

Hmmm...I wonder whether we'll ever hear this side of the story on the major networks.

"Don't waste your love on someone who doesn't deserve it"
William Shakespeare

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Holy crap! I hope they did a thorough autopsy on the guy.

"A friend of Lenius's said that ... "often made a cocktail of vitamins for Gary."​
Those who knew Gary said he was in "good spirits" and seemed "normal" in the days before he died. One source said that Gary had recently started undergoing chelation therapy, a medical procedure that is typically used to treat people who have abnormally high levels of heavy metals in their blood, such as lead, mercury, or arsenic. It is sometimes also used as a homeopathic remedy for heart disease, autism, and Alzheimer's disease."​

After reading the article, I wouldn't ingest anything offered from that woman.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
It looks like you missed the other recent news blowup about this topic ;-)

And, as something of a devil's advocate : doctors can totally prescribe this (any?) medication off-label if in their educated judgement the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm just not certain I am clear on who did the weighing in this instance, or where they got their estimation of benefit, or even if I'm convinced that the risk was minimal in the specific case I'm discussing oh-so-vaguely...

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
As with most studies, this is a subset of severity of the illness, hospitalization. I would like to see one with at the beginning of your symptoms, not needing to be hospitalized and immediately took it and the results.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Another "no confidence" opinion:

"Interpretation
We were unable to confirm a benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, when used alone or with a macrolide, on in-hospital outcomes for COVID-19. Each of these drug regimens was associated with decreased in-hospital survival and an increased frequency of ventricular arrhythmias when used for treatment of COVID-19."​

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned