• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mamma Mia and Pierce

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We watched the Mamma Mia DVD in Blu-Ray and Pierce was even worse than in the theater. As the months passed since we saw it in the theater I kinda mellowed out and thought Pierce at least gave it a good try. But now as I listen to him in Dolby 5.1 with a high quality sound system he really HARSHES MY MELLOW!

Pierce.....DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!! PLEASE :eek:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it 3 times in the theater, and honestly I didn't think he was so awful. He was so charming that I guess the lack of a singing voice didn't bother me!

Fortunately we have an older TV set so we won't experience his singing - or lack thereof - in high quality.

The DVD is on my Santa list - I can't wait!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Overall, it's a great "feel good" flick, so it's not too hard to get past the some of the voice quality.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gosh, I don't think he can sing worth a lick, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the film, and felt joyful when I left the theater.
Connie

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I assumed it was a given he could not sing and it was fun and entertaining anyway.He was just too perfect for the part!
I so enjoyed that movie! Meryl certainly could not sing either but they both made the movie the feel good movie it was. :banana:

I need to remember to buy it this week!

Sue

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to get the dvd. I am so tempted to go and buy it, but it is one of the few things on my Christmas list.

I don't care if he can't sing. I'm glad he was in it. Meryl was amazing.

Loved the movie in theatres, and loved the musical on Broadway.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Younger dd had the DVD on her Christmas list and older dd bought it for her. So we'll have it to watch over the holidays. :D

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved the movie, also, and thought Meryl did a stellar job. I thought Pierce was perfect for the role, and that it took a lot of chutzpah for him to do the singing. If someone expected him to win any singing kudos, that person deserved to be disappointed. It is a happy, feel-good movie, and I hope to see it again. :cheer:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Folks, its one the more ridiculous movie-versions of a musical that I've seen.
I do like some of 'em... "Chicago" was great. Even "Phantom" was decent.

I did see the show live at the Wintergarden in NYC. What makes it work there is the great sound system coupled with some fine voices. In the movie, the singing twists a knife in one's gut.

Then there's the poor production values... Remember the scene where she's supposedly in a jeep driving up a dirt road with her friends? It looked like she was taking Conan O'Brien's desk out for a drive like he does on "Late Night" where the backrground obviously blue-screen.

I did like the scenery. I'll watch any movie with a Greek island setting. But its a shame that this one would be better with the sound turned off.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Ridiculous...........maybe.

Feel good fun.............definitely. :D

To each his/her own.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do like some of 'em... "Chicago" was great. Even "Phantom" was decent.

I did see the show live at the Wintergarden in NYC. What makes it work there is the great sound system coupled with some fine voices. In the movie, the singing twists a knife in one's gut.

Then there's the poor production values... Remember the scene where she's supposedly in a jeep driving up a dirt road with her friends? It looked like she was taking Conan O'Brien's desk out for a drive like he does on "Late Night" where the backrground obviously blue-screen.

I did like the scenery. I'll watch any movie with a Greek island setting. But its a shame that this one would be better with the sound turned off.

Man, don't do this to me as I have the DVD sitting on the tv(via sister Netflix account, it came Tuesday in the mail).:doh:

I don't set myself with too high of expectations for the movie version of any show. Chicago and Hairspray were okay(liked the live shows better). Not a big Phantom fan, so I skipped the movie.

I really liked the stage version of Mamma Mia, it's coming back to town in June and I was thinking of going again.

So I guess it won't be too bad, just a loss of 108 minutes.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I didn't see the stage version of Mamma Mia, so I had no comparison. But younger dd did and we both loved the movie. So much so that when the sing-along version came out we went back again. :D In my memory the worst adaptation from stage to movie that I can remember was "Chorus Line".

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I've got to dig up the lyrics for some of the songs to see if those are the same words as the ABBA originals. If not the producers (Tom Hanks et. al.) did a good job on the swap.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pierce Brosnan was interviewed on BBC about his involvement in Mamma Mia. His explanation was that when first asked he told them they were crazy as he can't sing and can't dance.
When they said the Meryl Streep was starring he said "I'm in"!!!!!! The opportunity to do a film with her wasn't an opportunity to pass on in his opinion. So, on balance, I suppose you should blame her. :D

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
All right, I'm going to get blasted for this, but I actually got up and walked out of the movie (I've only ever done that once before in my life).....but now I"m wondering.....
Which one WAS her Dad?!
Will someone forgive me for not liking the movie and clue me in? :confused:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
All right, I'm going to get blasted for this, but I actually got up and walked out of the movie (I've only ever done that once before in my life).....but now I"m wondering.....
Which one WAS her Dad?!

No, sorry, but you are absolutely NOT forgiven, and I won't tell you;)

Am I being a meanie? Hmmmmm....those who saw the movie will know the answer to my question :D .

VERY curious - what didn't you like about it? And what other movie did you walk out of?

I walked out of Fargo, Ironman, and Disaster Movie.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Which one WAS her Dad?!

We still don't know which one was her dad..........even those of us who loved it and stayed through the end. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I walked out of Fargo, Ironman, and Disaster Movie.

LOVED "Fargo". :D Also loved "Burn After Reading" another Coen Brothers film.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ridiculous...........maybe.

Feel good fun.............definitely. :D

I absolutely agree. When they broke into the first song I thought it was over-the-top silly - but that's part of what made it so much fun. It was just such a feel-good happy smiling ridiculous movie - and much more enjoyable for me than watching two hours of violence.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOVED "Fargo". :D

DH and I went to it on one of our rare nights out when the kids were little; we kept looking at each other with "do you want to leave?" faces, then when they got to a wood chipper we both walked out. I have no doubt that it was a good movie in terms of filmmaking, acting, and so forth, and the fact that it provoked such a strong reaction in us is certainly evidence of that. It was just too creepy for us, though.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw it in Vegas and loved it. Went to the movie and Kelli loved it more than I. We also bought tix to the Broadway version coming in March. I can't wait. We bought the whole Broadway Series for our Xmas present. It includes Annie, which we just saw, and was fantastic. Much better than any rendition of the play we've see. Next is Ain't Misbehavin starring Reuben Studdard (American Idol winner ) Then Mama Mia and the last one is Jesus Christ Superstar. Great lineup. We also bought the dvd when it came out. shaggy

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry you can't have a good musical when one of the leads can't carry a tune in a bucket. At least back in the good old days, they would have dubbed his voice.

Watched it last night and we winced everytime Pierce went to sing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm sorry you can't have a good musical when one of the leads can't carry a tune in a bucket. At least back in the good old days, they would have dubbed his voice.

The King and I - Yul Brenner talked most of his songs

Camelot - Richard Harris coudn't sing much as I recall

Chicago - Richard Gere didn't have the greatest voice ever

I'll wince through Pierce anytime. ;)

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We watched the Mamma Mia DVD in Blu-Ray and Pierce was even worse than in the theater. As the months passed since we saw it in the theater I kinda mellowed out and thought Pierce at least gave it a good try. But now as I listen to him in Dolby 5.1 with a high quality sound system he really HARSHES MY MELLOW!

I agree that Pierce can't sing at all, but I kind of liked that they used his own voice and didn't dub him. Mainly I wanted to say I love the expression "he really harshes my mellow"! I just tried it out on the kids tonight and they didn't get it, though. : )