• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maintenance Spreadsheet

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm working to update the Maintenance Fee Spreadsheet. I haven't touched it in a couple of years and it has become a mess. I started out by copying down all of resort names available when you make a reservation along with the View and Room Types. As I'm recording the maintenance fees, I'm noticing that View is not taken into consideration.

So, my assumption is that Maitainence fees are based strictly on Season (Silver, Gold Platinum, etc) and Size (1BR, 2BR, 3BR Etc.) Is my assumption correct?

For instance, MOC - Lahaina Towers has Ocean Front, Ocean View, Island View, Mt. Garden View but they have Studio, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR. Following my assumption, all 1BR, 2BR, 3BR are billed the same maintenance fee regardless of view. Does that sound correct?

So far I've got 266 lines in my spreadsheet but I'm sure I can cut that down if the "View" is not considered in maintenance fees.

Vat/Property Tax is a whole different story.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I don't think view matters and in most cases, season also does not matter.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

I've seen season play a small difference in Property Tax. For instance, Grand Vista Gold 2BR is 1224.75 while Platinum is 1254.75. The difference is in the tax.

I know that California Bills Property tax separately for NCV. I don't know if they do that for all resorts in CA. Also, for some reason, I thought FL billed separately too.

Here's what I have so far. I took out the Views.

Last edited by a moderator:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Season only matters in a few states like Florida where if affects the property tax assessment for the unit. Other fees even there are unaffected by season. View does not matter anywhere.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Season only matters in a few states like Florida where if affects the property tax assessment for the unit. Other fees even there are unaffected by season. View does not matter anywhere.

So, you're saying resorts in Utah, where there is MountainSide and Summit Watch, even though they have Silver, Gold, Platinum, they all pay the same maitenance fee based on Unit size, respectively?

No wonder people didn't buy Silver weeks.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I've seen season play a small difference in Property Tax. For instance, Grand Vista Gold 2BR is 1224.75 while Platinum is 1254.75. The difference is in the tax.

I know that California Bills Property tax separately for NCV. I don't know if they do that for all resorts in CA. Also, for some reason, I thought FL billed separately too.

Here's what I have so far. I took out the Views.

Property Tax is billed separately in Palm Desert as well so I would assume it is separate in all CA resorts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
So, you're saying resorts in Utah, where there is MountainSide and Summit Watch, even though they have Silver, Gold, Platinum, they all pay the same maitenance fee based on Unit size, respectively?

No wonder people didn't buy Silver weeks.

That's also the case at all of the Hilton Head resorts: MF's are assessed on unit size only with no differential for view or season. As far as property tax differentials this is taken from the TUG MF sticky thread:
*Note that Property Taxes for the Florida resorts will vary according to the Resort Calendar seasons, and are included in the MF budgets.
*Note that Property Taxes for the California resorts will vary among owners based on purchase price/date, and are billed separately by the counties.

If you look at the first/compilation post in that thread you'll get a good idea of the few states/resorts that use differentials other than unit size.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you wanting to still drop the number of DC points given for a week on to the spreadsheet like before? If so, you would need to capture based on season and view. If not, then that can be left off.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting to still drop the number of DC points given for a week on to the spreadsheet like before? If so, you would need to capture based on season and view. If not, then that can be left off.

I was thinking about that but I may just create a separate spreadsheet for that. Trying to keep things simple. MF change every year where the points do not.

I think more people are interested in the growth rate of the MF.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Most condo maintenance fees, and I believe timeshares are included in this, are calculated by taking the operating budget of the complex divided by the number of square feet in the dwellings multipled by the number of square feet in a given unit. If it is a timeshare then that number would be divided by 52 for each week. I think any difference in same-size units would be for property taxes if the taxes are paid by the condo assn. I own in St Thomas and we are currently billed individually for property taxes so same-size units pay the same maintenance fees.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I was thinking about that but I may just create a separate spreadsheet for that. Trying to keep things simple. MF change every year where the points do not.

I think more people are interested in the growth rate of the MF.

As a user of primarily points instead of traditional weeks trading, I actually felt the most valuable part of the old spreadsheet was seeing the number of DC points each resort/season/view gets, and being able to compute the maintenance fee cost per point. That was very helpful in trying to figure out the best weeks for a hybrid bundle. The maintenance fees are shown in the annual MF sticky thread, so to me, the only real value added of the spreadsheet was being able to see the relationships between DC Points and MF, all in one place.

So I would hate to see the spreadsheet lose the DC Points data. That is something that, to my knowledge, is not available anywhere else.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a user of primarily points instead of traditional weeks trading, I actually felt the most valuable part of the old spreadsheet was seeing the number of DC points each resort/season/view gets, and being able to compute the maintenance fee cost per point. That was very helpful in trying to figure out the best weeks for a hybrid bundle. The maintenance fees are shown in the annual MF sticky thread, so to me, the only real value added of the spreadsheet was being able to see the relationships between DC Points and MF, all in one place.

So I would hate to see the spreadsheet lose the DC Points data. That is something that, to my knowledge, is not available anywhere else.

Steven

I agree with JIMinNC. I'm not particularly interested in MFs by themselves but their relationship to DC points is important should I decide to purchase a resale week through a combo plan from MVW or trade using points. Owners that solely own Trust points would have no use for any SS listing MFs or legacy points assigned except for the purpose of buying a week resale under the combo plan.

As I looked over your SS I noticed that in Ocean Pointe you included 1bdrm units and studio units. There are no 1bdrm/studio units at OP. You can book one through II or DC but there is no MF assigned to them. Along the same line there is no MF for the Mayflower nor will there be one for the Strand. Those are covered by the Trust point MFs and there are so many permutations of that system it would be pretty cumbersome to try and capture them all in one spreadsheet.

However you decide to modify the SS I would like to thank you for the interest and hard work you put forth that is a big benefit to many Tuggers.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven

I agree with JIMinNC. I'm not particularly interested in MFs by themselves but their relationship to DC points is important should I decide to purchase a resale week through a combo plan from MVW or trade using points. Owners that solely own Trust points would have no use for any SS listing MFs or legacy points assigned except for the purpose of buying a week resale under the combo plan.

As I looked over your SS I noticed that in Ocean Pointe you included 1bdrm units and studio units. There are no 1bdrm/studio units at OP. You can book one through II or DC but there is no MF assigned to them. Along the same line there is no MF for the Mayflower nor will there be one for the Strand. Those are covered by the Trust point MFs and there are so many permutations of that system it would be pretty cumbersome to try and capture them all in one spreadsheet.

However you decide to modify the SS I would like to thank you for the interest and hard work you put forth that is a big benefit to many Tuggers.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and keep everything in one spreadsheet. Points, MF, Season, and View.

I included the Studio and 1BR since I generated the original list based off what I could book with Trust Points I'll eliminate those items from the ones that you mentioned. If there are others that do not exist, please let me know.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Attached is my latest version. Please review and if you have any information that I can add, I would love to have it.

I'm going to go back and populate the remaining MF's.
The DC points may not all be 100% correct so if it's wrong and you know that it's wrong, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Attached is my latest version. Please review and if you have any information that I can add, I would love to have it.

I'm going to go back and populate the remaining MF's.
The DC points may not all be 100% correct so if it's wrong and you know that it's wrong, please let me know.
Hi Steven
Just looking at the Resort Codes
Phuket Beach Club is MPU/MP1
Mai Khao Beach is MKB
I will take a look at the Summary information for my resorts tomorrow.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven,
I'm a little lost on what you are trying to come up with here. I know of no resort where view or season come into play as far as MFs are concerned. By trying to include them your SS is now 28 columns and 428 lines. For those of us that missed out on the scholarship to MIT that's a little bit too large.

On looking over the resorts that I own Frenchmans Cove is missing week 7 and Ocean Pointe has 3 seasons with a 3bdrm and a 2bdrm in each. The 2bdrm has an OF and an OS view. All 3bdrm are OF. You gave OP 6 lines, it should have 9 if you want to include season, view and size.

Again, I don't know why you want to include season and view as they have no impact on the MF. They do have a great deal of impact on the DC points allotted.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven,
I'm a little lost on what you are trying to come up with here. I know of no resort where view or season come into play as far as MFs are concerned. By trying to include them your SS is now 28 columns and 428 lines. For those of us that missed out on the scholarship to MIT that's a little bit too large.

On looking over the resorts that I own Frenchmans Cove is missing week 7 and Ocean Pointe has 3 seasons with a 3bdrm and a 2bdrm in each. The 2bdrm has an OF and an OS view. All 3bdrm are OF. You gave OP 6 lines, it should have 9 if you want to include season, view and size.

Again, I don't know why you want to include season and view as they have no impact on the MF. They do have a great deal of impact on the DC points allotted.

I am including Season because of the DC points.

How do you get 9 lines for OP? I don't see it. Help me understand.

In the end, this may have 50+ columns. I intend to document the maintenance fees to at least 2010. Some of us like to see the trend in fees and see if we can extrapolate anything from it.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
3bdrm Silver OF
3bdrm Gold OF
3bdrm Plat OF

2bdrm Silver OS
2bdrm Silver OF

2bdrm Gold OS
2bdrm Gold OF

2bdrm Plat OS
2bdrm Plat OF

Each of these is allocated a different number of DC points. We are missing the points allocated for a Plat 3bdrm and a Gold 2bdrm OF. If somebody doesn't volunteer them soon I'll get them for you from a BOD member.

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
It looks like the# of points is the amount you need to trade into the resort, not what an owner is assigned to tear out. Correct?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It looks like the# of points is the amount you need to trade into the resort, not what an owner is assigned to tear out. Correct?

If Steven is intending to duplicate/expand the spreadsheet that came into being following the DC introduction, the number of DC Points indicated is the number that's allotted to Owners of Enrolled Weeks. The purpose then was to determine the cost-per-Point based on MF's, compared to the cost-per-Point of Trust Points.

Steven - I'm impressed you want to revive this, update it with annual MF's, and keep some control over the input. It's a valuable reference but sadly the original was corrupted because others were allowed to make changes. Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to having this reference available again.

With a very quick look - SurfWatch's three view types are Garden View, Ocean Side and Ocean Vista (not Ocean View.) I'll look at the numbers later.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am trying to capture how many points an owner would get if they were to exchange their week for DC points. For example, I know my 2 Bedroom OV MKO would get me 4950 points if I exchanged it.

If I have a number wrong, please let me know.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
3bdrm Silver OF
3bdrm Gold OF
3bdrm Plat OF

2bdrm Silver OS
2bdrm Silver OF

2bdrm Gold OS
2bdrm Gold OF

2bdrm Plat OS
2bdrm Plat OF

Each of these is allocated a different number of DC points. We are missing the points allocated for a Plat 3bdrm and a Gold 2bdrm OF. If somebody doesn't volunteer them soon I'll get them for you from a BOD member.

I see it now. Thanks. I've been looking at the spreadsheet all day and the different combinations start to look the same to me.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will check Frenchman's Cove then because the points listed are what it costs to trade into Frenchman's Cove.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Steven is intending to duplicate/expand the spreadsheet that came into being following the DC introduction, the number of DC Points indicated is the number that's allotted to Owners of Enrolled Weeks. The purpose then was to determine the cost-per-Point based on MF's, compared to the cost-per-Point of Trust Points.

Steven - I'm impressed you want to revive this, update it with annual MF's, and keep some control over the input. It's a valuable reference but sadly the original was corrupted because others were allowed to make changes. Good luck with this - I'm looking forward to having this reference available again.

With a very quick look - SurfWatch's three view types are Garden View, Ocean Side and Ocean Vista (not Ocean View.) I'll look at the numbers later.

Thanks. I was basing Ocean View based on the reservation system for SurfWatch. They have Ocean View listed for points reservations.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[/B]

Thanks. I was basing Ocean View based on the reservation system for SurfWatch. They have Ocean View listed for points reservations.

Hey! I never noticed that! :D

The Points Chart indicates Ocean Vista (OC) but you're correct, the system doesn't. As far as I know the "ocean vista" thing at SurfWatch is a one-off oddity, at least I hope so for your sake.