• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mad Cow Disease

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just heard a news report that a new case has been found in California.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Oh great! :(

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
It's only a matter of time before this is transmitted to a person. It probably already happened and we don't know about it yet. Because it takes so long for the disease to show symptoms.

Sad to say, but that's about the only thing that's going to close down the CAFOs. Americans are too in love with their damned dollar menu items. It's going to take a pandemic to change agricultural policy.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Sorry on vacation in Mexico.

Interesting that cow was: 1. In a rendering plant (too sick to be eaten, ie a "downer" cow?), and 2. Tested via "routine" USDA sampling (ie not a mad cow suspect?).

Regardless, very grim news. The likelihood of getting mad cow disease or Cruetzfeld Jacob Disease is admittedly very low, but you do not need a sick cow for transmission to humans. Yes, this (presumably) sick cow got yanked from the human food chain, but it means there are likely incubating cattle that appear well that DO enter the food chain. Yet another reason to eat cows who eat grass. I am serious y'all. Cheap hamburger is just not worth it.

H

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Another article says that this was an atypical case, because the cow has not been fed feed containing animal protein.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Another article says that this was an atypical case, because the cow has not been fed feed containing animal protein.

Perhaps the source was from one of the parents of the cow? Could that be the only other explanation?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Having had an Aunt in Europe die from KJ disease, I don't wish this to happen to anyone. However the US meat supply has had far better management it might appear, barring their recent "pink slime" PR nightmare aside.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
CBS today said it was headed for pet food..... Not sure but as a kid we tried milk bones one day.

Then too what about certain ethnic groups that eat dogs/cats? I heard that in Vietnam they do or did.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
CBS today said it was headed for pet food..... Not sure but as a kid we tried milk bones one day.

Then too what about certain ethnic groups that eat dogs/cats? I heard that in Vietnam they do or did.

Many cultures have (and do) eaten canines - I see no need to single out Viet culture.

Distinctions between livestock and pets is totally subjective, and there is no scientific difference in eating the meat of different animals such as Muskrat, Beaver. Sheep, goats and pigs. Eating dog is forbidden under Jewish and Islamic dietary laws but this is a cultural rule not usually considered scientific.

People critical of dog meat consumption are guilty of cultural supremacy, if not racism.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Having had an Aunt in Europe die from KJ disease, I don't wish this to happen to anyone. However the US meat supply has had far better management it might appear, barring their recent "pink slime" PR nightmare aside.

And you're basing this opinion on what, exactly?

Some of the US meat supply is better managed. Some of it is a lot worse. Suffice to say, I'm very glad that it's been more than 10 years since my wife and I have visited a fast-food restaurant.

I'd rather go hungry than eat a Big Mac or a Whopper.

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
And you're basing this opinion on what, exactly?

Some of the US meat supply is better managed. Some of it is a lot worse. Suffice to say, I'm very glad that it's been more than 10 years since my wife and I have visited a fast-food restaurant.

I'd rather go hungry than eat a Big Mac or a Whopper.

We always buy our beef by the side from a local farmer. At least we have some kind of idea what it was raised on..

ScoopKona

Reaction score
We always buy our beef by the side from a local farmer. At least we have some kind of idea what it was raised on..

Same here. But the rancher lets us buy 40 pounds at time. I went up to the ranch, had a look around, and said, "Yep, happy cows." Cattle munching on grass. Wandering around. That sort of thing.

Now compare to this:

cow-feed-lot.jpg

This is where a dollar menu burger comes from. And the cheap ground beef in the 5-lb chub. And the $2.99 per pound "Rancher's Pride" steaks.

And technically, I'm breaking the law because I'm criticizing US beef production. Google "agricultural product disparagement laws" for a fun afternoon read.

geekette

Reaction score
Many cultures have (and do) eaten canines - I see no need to single out Viet culture.

Distinctions between livestock and pets is totally subjective, and there is no scientific difference in eating the meat of different animals such as Muskrat, Beaver. Sheep, goats and pigs. Eating dog is forbidden under Jewish and Islamic dietary laws but this is a cultural rule not usually considered scientific.

People critical of dog meat consumption are guilty of cultural supremacy, if not racism.

Fine, call me a racist, and then call me a murderer if you come near my dog with knife and fork.

I'm not critical of anyone that has a food source and utilizes it. Seems a little too judgemental to say I'm guilty of Cultural Supremacy. hey, I don't eat dogs. You want to? fine, just leave my pets alone.

I do not see the need to throw around labels. Cultural differences are just that, differences.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Fine, call me a racist, and then call me a murderer if you come near my dog with knife and fork.

I'm not critical of anyone that has a food source and utilizes it. Seems a little too judgemental to say I'm guilty of Cultural Supremacy. hey, I don't eat dogs. You want to? fine, just leave my pets alone.

I do not see the need to throw around labels. Cultural differences are just that, differences.

Nobody is suggesting that someone is coming after Rover with a carving knife. And I don't see what eating dogs in Asia has to do with finding a diseased dairy cow in California.

Evel Knievel couldn't make that logical leap.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

You are over-reacting - no one even mentioned your dog (believe it or not - not all posts are about you).

Please re-read my post and Tina's post - I was addressing anyone who might look down their nose at Viet culture because of their traditional diet.

If you are looking down your nose at Viet culture because of their traditional diet, then I was speaking to you.

Are you?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
From WSJ Today:

New Mad-Cow Discovery Stirs Fears

First U.S. Incident Since 2006 Makes Cattle Ranchers Fear Impact on Beef Sales .

By BILL TOMSON, IAN BERRY and MARSHALL ECKBLAD

The U.S. Agriculture Department said Tuesday that a California dairy cow tested positive for mad-cow disease, the first appearance of the brain-wasting illness in the U.S. since 2006.

Agency officials said the finding didn't pose any immediate threat to the safety of the food supply. They said no meat from the animal had entered the food chain, and that people aren't at risk of contracting the disease through consumption of milk from an infected cow.

But the discovery of the sick cow's carcass at a rendering plant revived a top safety concern for the beef industry that had receded after six years without any appearance by the illness in the U.S. It is the fourth case of mad-cow disease detected in the U.S. since the first was discovered at a processor in Washington state in 2003.

The finding comes as the beef industry struggles with softer demand as consumers have pushed back against rising beef prices. Recent publicity about a two-decade-old ground beef additive known as lean finely textured beef—dubbed "pink slime" by critics—has further curbed beef demand though the product poses no known safety risks.

"It's the last thing we need," said cattle rancher Daniel Mushrush, part-owner of Mushrush Ranches in Strong City, Kan. "It's not going to help demand at a time when we need demand."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Tuesday said it has confirmed the first new case of mad-cow disease since 2006 in a California dairy cow. Janet Adamy and Leslie Josephs have details on The News Hub. Photo: Bloomberg.
Mad-cow disease, also called bovine spongiform encephalopathy, can cause a rare brain disease in people who eat infected cattle products. The human form of the disease has been linked to more than 100 deaths, mostly in Britain and Europe.

Agriculture Department officials said the cow was discovered through the agency's continuing surveillance system for the disease, under which it tests about 40,000 cows a year.

The disease was detected on a cow carcass taken in for rendering last Wednesday at an animal-rendering plant in Hanford, Calif., said Dennis Luckey, executive vice president of Baker Commodities Inc., a Los Angeles-based processor of animal byproducts that operates the facility.

Mr. Luckey said the cow had died at a dairy he couldn't immediately identify, saying that information was in the hands of the USDA. The plant renders cows that have died to make commodities such as "high-protein ingredients for poultry feed and pet food," according to Baker's website. Mr. Luckey said he believed that the detection of mad-cow disease by random sampling of animals adequately safeguarded the public.

Asian countries react to the case of mad cow disease in the U.S. Video: Reuters
"The protection is we hold animals we test and quarantine them until we get the results," Mr. Luckey said, adding that Baker Commodities learned the animal had the disease Tuesday. He said the company was keeping the carcass in quarantine pending instructions from USDA officials on how to dispose of it.

USDA officials said the animal never was presented for slaughter for human consumption. Dairy cows commonly are slaughtered for their meat after their milk-producing years end.

Mad-cow disease is most commonly spread in herds through contaminated feed, but USDA Chief Veterinarian John Clifford said that wasn't the case with this cow. He called this a rare, "atypical" type of mad-cow disease. Agency officials wouldn't say how they believed the cow got the disease.

Edward Mills, associate professor of dairy and animal science at Pennsylvania State University, said mad-cow experts believe some cases can appear spontaneously, as opposed to occurring after a cow ingests remains of a sick cow used in cattle feed. (The practice of using cow byproducts in cattle feed is now banned.)

Dr. Clifford said studies by the World Health Organization show humans aren't at risk of contracting the disease through milk. The Agriculture Department said it "remains confident in the health of the national herd and the safety of beef and dairy products."

Futures prices for April delivery of cattle on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange fell three cents, or about 2.5%, the maximum allowed by the exchange for one day, to $1.168 a pound.

More
MarketBeat: Cattle Futures Tumble
Japan Real Time: New Mad-Cow Case Threat to U.S. Beef Exports to Japan?
Two Big Korean Chains Pull U.S. Beef
Analysts say the biggest risk to the beef market from a confirmed case is if large customers such as Japan and South Korea were to impose a temporary ban, but that such a ban was unlikely since the animal was kept out of the food chain.

South Korea's Agriculture Ministry is looking into the incident, a spokesman said. He declined to say whether the authorities might consider an import ban. South Korea halted U.S. beef imports in 2003 following the first discovery of mad-cow disease in the U.S. It lifted the ban in full in May 2008.

Most importing nations were quick to ban U.S. beef in 2003, and it has taken the U.S. years to persuade those countries to start accepting beef imports again.

In California's Central Valley, some cattlemen were worried the news could hurt sales, especially overseas. "Our main concern is just what it does to the market," said John Harris, chairman and chief executive of Harris Farms, which slaughters about 4,500 cattle a week. "It's frustrating because we know we do everything right."

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been allowed to donate blood for some 10 years now because of the "possibility" of having mad cow disease. You can go to the red cross and look up "who can donate blood." Not me...

This is because I lived in Italy for two years in the late 1980's on a military base.

So, of course, I had to ask the question: "could I donate in Europe?"

The answer: "no, because I'd lived in the US for several years and thus could have something they don't want transmitted. I don't remember the specific thing they are afraid of...

Regardless, the other bit of information that disturbed me was that there is a simple test to determine mad cow disease in a blood sample, and it is used on our blood supply. So why can't I have my blood tested for this and then be put on a "cleared" list. Because I am definitely on a "danger" list right now (!)

It almost makes you join the conspiracy people. Is there some other reason that they are not telling us??? What was I exposed to in the military that they don't want transmitted to the general population?? Because this basically eliminates almost all military personnel from donating blood, as most end up stationed overseas for 6 months or more at one point. Traditionally, they have also been the most willing to donate, as they realise it could be them or their buddies who are more often in need of blood due to the nature of their calling, so this hurts the blood supply in a big way...

Meanwhile, if you wonder why my brain seems to be turning to mush, maybe it isn't parenthood after all, it really IS turning to mush:eek:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI if I read that right I was not singling out any culture nor being critical , just contributing info , of which I am obviously not a know it all...

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI if I read that right I was not singling out any culture nor being critical , just contributing info , of which I am obviously not a know it all...

As was I, see we agree ....

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder how the Canadians Feel?

A few years ago when a mad cow diseased cow was discovered in Alberta the US completely shut down the border to Canadian beef severely damaging the beef industry in Canada for several years. Suddenly diseased animal is discovered in California and "its no big deal."

ScoopKona

Reaction score
A few years ago when a mad cow diseased cow was discovered in Alberta the US completely shut down the border to Canadian beef severely damaging the beef industry in Canada for several years. Suddenly diseased animal is discovered in California and "its no big deal."

The difference is that last time, US Government agencies like the FDA and the USDA weren't basically subsidiaries of agricorp.

If these agencies were run by ethical, concerned consumer advocates, there would a real response to this. But instead the head of the FDA previously worked for Monsanto and the head of the USDA ALSO previously worked for Monsanto.

Who do you think these people are going to side with? The consumers? Or big agricultural corporations like Monsanto, Cargill, Hormel, and Tyson?

Furthermore, almost nobody in this country cares. (Or even sees that this is a problem.) They're too busy ordering off the dollar menu to notice their country is being sold down the river at cut-rate prices.