• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mad Cow Disease

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference is that last time, US Government agencies like the FDA and the USDA weren't basically subsidiaries of agricorp.

If these agencies were run by ethical, concerned consumer advocates, there would a real response to this. But instead the head of the FDA previously worked for Monsanto and the head of the USDA ALSO previously worked for Monsanto.

Who do you think these people are going to side with? The consumers? Or big agricultural corporations like Monsanto, Cargill, Hormel, and Tyson?

Furthermore, almost nobody in this country cares. (Or even sees that this is a problem.) They're too busy ordering off the dollar menu to notice their country is being sold down the river at cut-rate prices.

Whoa...I didn't realise they both were Monsanto bred...Scary!!! Monsanto is practically single-handedly killing 3rd world agro small farmers (and 1st world small farmers as well) with their gm seeds that don't reproduce and have to be purchased at an exhorbitant rate each year...not to mention their pesticides ruining our planet...I guess I missed that they've now managed to get their people to the top of our supposed food watchdogs.

Wish we'd follow Europe's lead when it comes to regulating food industry. The people there have been much more vocal and have pushed for better safety and clear restrictions on what they are buying/eating. :(

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish we'd follow Europe's lead when it comes to regulating food industry. The people there have been much more vocal and have pushed for better safety and clear restrictions on what they are buying/eating. :(
We're too worried about the injustice of not fitting into our airline seats. :rolleyes:

Seriously, we would be much better off we took a page from Scoop's book and bought locally bred and grown foods. It warms my heart to see so many farmer's markets springing up. However, that's no guarantee those local farmers used good practice. (And why do I gravitate to the cookies, etc at those markets? Bought some dulce de leche, too.)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Raw milk and unpasteurized cheeses have been and are available in some places in USA, but it didn't work out too well with unscrupulous producers sacrificing purity for profit. But you can get 'em in Europe if you want.

Jim

Last edited:

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I buy raw milk - both girls drink it and we use it almost exclusively, altho there is only one store that still sells it. (You can also have it delivered from a couple dairies, but the store is very close to home :whoopie: ) Also buy grass-fed beef, organic eggs from free-roaming local chickens. Raw honey, etc.

We try to buy mostly organic and local. Luckily, I live in an area that makes this a priority and we have several good options. Co-ops, grocers, farmer's markets, etc. My hubbie says, if you have the money - spend it where it counts: on our health. Still, we are fortunate that many things aren't that much more in this area.

However, I must confess I am a terrible cook and like boxed products.:eek: I know, I know, but at least they are organic boxed products without trans fats, and I try to add fresh veggies TO the mixes (!) Also do a lot of steamed veggies and potatoes.

We only give DD's the vaccines necessary for school. No flu shots. They get lots of exercise (dancers) and go outside whenever possible.

I finally got rid of my Mexican coke habit:ignore: No, really! I started out drinking WAY too much coke on a daily basis as an adult mostly for the pep. Don't like coffee. Eventually, they started carrying Mexican coke with pure cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup... This was a vast improvement, but, of course, I still drank 4-5 a day. Yikes!!! I quit when I wanted to get pregnant, but ended up needing it to combat morning sickness - only for me it was constant sickness. After that, kept on drinking until last year. Decided to quit. I am now a serious tea drinker. Just can't go soley water, as I like to taste flavor. I occasionally drink various water additives (greens-to-go, Emergen-C, etc.) and other flavored water drinks. I do try and drink at least one tall glass of water daily. I also occasionally drink milk. Still, getting rid of soda was huge for me!! Needless to say, my DD's never get soda. One doesn't like it, except for root-beer and the occasional sprite at parties. The other younger one (my sugar hound) would drink it if it was available.

I'm not a food-Nazi, altho my DH can be a bit of one. Then he'll bring home donuts from work - saying "they were going to throw these away." Somehow, for him if it's free, it's ok, but if you pay for it, it better be organic. :shrug:
Eating out, we'll try to choose Thai or Chinese or something relatively healthy, but again, we're not sticklers about it, and even eat fast food, which is probably contrary to everything else we do. To me, most things in moderation.. try to make more good choices than bad, but some stuff tastes great and isn't healthy. So what!

Getting back on topic. Our food is so far removed from what it should be, and things like mad-cow disease makes this clear. My understanding is that it is mostly due to the unnatural food they eat. One cow in California is another wake-up call. Look what happened when people found out about pink slime! Once consumers are educated, the system starts getting forced to change. Look at how they've realised the profit that can be made by going organic. Problem is labelling rules and oversight allows big corps. to call it one thing when it isn't really. Hate those chicken commercials where they try to say it's local chickens with a certain label. Yet those particular "local" chicken farms are all owned and run by a very big corp. Those commercials run in several states. Hmmmmm....
All this GM stuff has been shown to have some serious side effects and issues they don't think about when they start manipulating genes so much. I worry about our bees dying off.

Sorry, today must be my soapbox day. I'll try to rein in....

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
HFCS and sucrose (aka cane sugar, beet sugar, table sugar) have a similar profile. Both are about 50% fructose and 50% glucose. HFCS can vary from 42% to 55% fructose (some is 90% but most is not) but you can see the average is about the same as "natural" table sugar. I don't think that HFCS is the bad guy but rather the amount of it we consume. If we ate as much table sugar as HFCS we would still have the same problems. The total amount of sugars we ingest has skyrocketed. It doesn't matter all that much where it comes from (unless you want to talk politics). HFCS is a USA product and cane sugar is usually imported. HFCS is subsidized by the US government and imported sugars can cost more because of taxes/tariffs. (overly simplified but you get the point)

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
This is why America can't follow Europe's lead with food industry regulations.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47205551/ns/business-us_business/

It all comes down to the dollar.. and who has them to buy influence..

And NONE of this makes the mainstream media. (And even when it does, it's buried on page 47 below the tide schedules.) Why? The media is on the take from these same sugar-daddy corporations.

Why do you think companies that make things no regular Joe can buy -- Siemans, McDonnell Douglas, Pfizer etc. -- buy so much ad time on TV? They're buying influence. They want to be able to say to the publisher, "Kill that story or we'll stop buying advertising."

So it gets harder and harder to get the message out. Most people don't know. And even if they knew, most people don't care. (Pass me another $1 cheeseburger and some diet cancer soda to wash that down.)

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
And NONE of this makes the mainstream media. (And even when it does, it's buried on page 47 below the tide schedules.) Why? The media is on the take from these same sugar-daddy corporations.

Why do you think companies that make things no regular Joe can buy -- Siemans, McDonnell Douglas, Pfizer etc. -- buy so much ad time on TV? They're buying influence. They want to be able to say to the publisher, "Kill that story or we'll stop buying advertising."

So it gets harder and harder to get the message out. Most people don't know. And even if they knew, most people don't care. (Pass me another $1 cheeseburger and some diet cancer soda to wash that down.)

The funny thing is that we actually pay less for our beef from the farmer than at the supermaket. We paid $2.05 per pound cut and wrapped at the butchers. Subtract the bones and scrap and we still paid less than $3 per pound. And this is for grass fed Limousin beef.
We actually buy the whole beef and split it with family.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The funny thing is that we actually pay less for our beef from the farmer than at the supermaket. We paid $2.05 per pound cut and wrapped at the butchers. Subtract the bones and scrap and we still paid less than $3 per pound. And this is for grass fed Limousin beef.
We actually buy the whole beef and split it with family.

Why would you subtract the bones?

That's STOCK, man! You're throwing away the best part!

And when I say best. I mean BEST. If forced to choose between beef stock and beef, I'd go with the stock. It's culinary gold.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's STOCK, man! You're throwing away the best part

And when I say best. I mean BEST. If forced to choose between beef stock and beef, I'd go with the stock. It's culinary gold.

True enuf! We took a hands on cooking class from the head chef on a cruise last year and one thing he said was that they have guys who start the stocks (multi- beef, chicken, fish, veggie) from scratch at 0200 every day. No stock from a box there.

Now, I doubt that given the choice, I'd take stock over a well marbled porterhouse brilliantly grilled, but if Scoop wants it, I won't take it away from him.

Jim

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you subtract the bones?

That's STOCK, man! You're throwing away the best part!

The bones are sitting in the freezer between uses. We can't use that much stock but the dogs are happy to take the leftovers...

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting graphic. Doesn't have much to do with mad cows, but quite a bit to do about what's wrong with our food* supply.

http://www.convergencealimentaire.info/map.jpg

* Hard to call a lot of this crap "food." It's mostly wood pulp, petroleum and HFCS.
I prefer the term "food-like product" rather than junk food because junk food still implies it is food. And it's not.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting graphic. Doesn't have much to do with mad cows, but quite a bit to do about what's wrong with our food* supply.

http://www.convergencealimentaire.info/map.jpg

* Hard to call a lot of this crap "food." It's mostly wood pulp, petroleum and HFCS.

There are still a couple layers to the truth you are trying to dissect.

Peeling back the veil of corporate America is just like peeling an onion, after enough effort you will only find more onion and end up crying over the sink.

Read here for more layers :hysterical::bawl:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Now, I doubt that given the choice, I'd take stock over a well marbled porterhouse brilliantly grilled, but if Scoop wants it, I won't take it away from him.

Beef stock turns into demi glace. Given the choice of never having a steak again or never having demi again, I'll give up steaks. Sure, it's not a choice I'd like to make. Preferably, I'll have both. But demi is far more useful to me than a porterhouse. I use the stuff constantly. And it's always sitting in the fridge, ready to work it's magic.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Prions are concentrated in nerve tissue of infected animals. This includes the bone narrow. In a factory setting, downer cattle is tested. On the organic farm downer cattle is sometimes butcherd and usually not reported.

"Experts say boneless cuts of beef are the safest, since they are least likely to contain nerve tissue. Processed beef products, including hamburger, hot dogs, and sausage, may pose a higher threat since spinal tissue is more likely to enter the product."

http://whyfiles.org/193prion/5.html

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of another prion disease-

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mad_cow_disease_and_variant_creutzfeldt-jakob_dis/article_em.htm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-rt-us-madcow-humansbre83n1hl-20120424,0,6568568.story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt–Jakob_disease

"...Prions, the infectious agent of CJD, may not be inactivated by means of routine surgical instrument sterilization procedures. The World Health Organization and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that instrumentation used in such cases be immediately destroyed after use;..."

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that it's VERY hard to find a "mad cow" that is living on a real ranch -- the kind we think of when we think about cowboys and cattle drives.

Cattle eating grass and moving around a big pasture aren't going to become mired in filth. It's when we pen them in CAFOs and feed them god knows what; and then let them sit in their excrement all day long that health problems arise. Besides, happier cows. Just because I eat them doesn't mean I want them to suffer their entire life. I want my beef to come from cattle that lived a more or less "normal" life. Same with my chickens and my pigs. Happy animals yield better-tasting meat.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Just keep in mind that it's VERY hard to find a "mad cow" that is living on a real ranch -- the kind we think of when we think about cowboys and cattle drives.

Cattle eating grass and moving around a big pasture aren't going to become mired in filth. It's when we pen them in CAFOs and feed them god knows what; and then let them sit in their excrement all day long that health problems arise. Besides, happier cows. Just because I eat them doesn't mean I want them to suffer their entire life. I want my beef to come from cattle that lived a more or less "normal" life. Same with my chickens and my pigs. Happy animals yield better-tasting meat.

I do not disagree with your basic philosophy on meat- in fact, I could not agree with you more.

However, it is important to be aware that there are "sporadic" forms of all prion diseases which are not associated with diet and seem to result from a combination of both genetic susceptibility and a transmissible factor, possibly an infectious disease. The most common sporadic prion disease in North America is a disease of elk and deer called Chronic Wasting Disease. This disease is seen in wild animals eating a wild diet. There are also sporadic forms of prion diseases that affect humans and other animals.

Right now, the party line is that this cow represents a case of sporadic mad cow disease, that the disease did not result from eating contaminated feed. I don't trust the USDA to necessarily tell the truth on this, but sporadic mad cow disease definately is a real disease and they could actually be getting the diagnosis right.

Either way, there are a zillion reasons to eat meat raised in a sane manner. Pastured-beef, pork, chicken, raised without antibiotics, on grass and not finished with grain makes nutritional, ecological, and humane sense all around. Avoiding the already minuscule chance of getting the human form of mad cow disease is just a bonus.

H