• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lost my wallet

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Today, I lost my wallet. It was in a pannier that fell of my motorcycle. I noticed that the pannier was missing when I went to get gas maybe 35 miles from home. We took a scenic route and retracing the route home did not find the pannier.

Called all of the credit cards so that isn't a problem. Went online and bought a new drivers license. Then I stated thinking about what else was in the wallet. No to long ago I had renewed my drivers license to the enhanced version. For some reason I brought my social security card with me. I think it was left in my wallet.

Whoever finds my wallet will have my name, address, social security number , medical insurance card, cash and other stuff. What else should I be doing ?

Bill

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
maybe put a freeze on new credit/loan applications. I think you can do this on the various credit reporting agencies. also call medical insurer. Maybe they issue a new number. It's got to happen all the time. And contact SS office, esp. if you get SS/Medicare, etc.
And, maybe there will be a good Samaritan who calls/mails it back to you. That happened to DH.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I lost my wallet once in Las Vegas. I knew I'd had it in the Bellagio as I'd paid for something there. When I went to pay for something for my dd across the street in the mall, my wallet was gone! I traced my steps back to the Bellgio, thinking the whole time that it was truly gone. When I got into the Bellagio I asked them to check their Lost and Found. Incredibly it was there. One of their employees had found it and turned it it. My wallet must have fallen out when I got into my purse to get my sunglasses.

I know that doesn't help you at all. I did have my wallet stolen years ago and notifying everyone was a huge pain. I had one of my credit card companies ask me WHY I had so many credit cards when theirs was the only one I needed.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did set up a fraud alert, credit freeze and contacted the Sheriff Department to get a case number. One bummer is my St Christopher medallion was in that wallet. I had that medallion for 30+ years. I think I have completed about every thing I can do.

I do hope and pray that a good person finds their way to helping me out. I found a wallet in a parking lot and found the owner by using their business card which was easy on my part. She had already cancelled everything and was very happy to find all her stuff intact.

Bill

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did set up a fraud alert, credit freeze and contacted the Sheriff Department to get a case number. One bummer is my St Christopher medallion was in that wallet. I had that thing for 30+ years.

Bill
Maybe some good samaritan will find your wallet and mail it back to you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you try social media with groups in your area?

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I’m sorry. That’s such a sinking feeling.....

One time I had my wallet returned to me before I even knew it was missing. We were moving from an apartment to a house, and at the house I put my wallet on the back bumper of the car and drove off. Some incredible Good Samaritan not only found my wallet but looked up my new address and brought it to me. I was shocked—-especially because I did not even realize that it was missing at that point! I always felt bad that I did not thank him enough but mainly I was just trying to figure out what it happened. Anyway, hoping the best for your situation.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I forgot to mention, mainly because I forgot, that when my wallet was stolen I did end up getting it back. Whoever took it threw it out of their car and someone found it along side the road. It still had my id and credit cards, the cash was all that was taken. I had already gone ahead and reported all of the credit cards, and I may have also reported my driver's license.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That really stinks.......just for the work involved.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry that happened, Bill. I hope a Good Samaritan found it and will return it. I have lost wallets and know the hassle of replacing your stuff. Bummer about the SS card & St. Chris. The rest can be replaced.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO Credit Freeze with all 3 Credit Reporting Agencies is essential. You should be able to do it online. Be sure not to lose the 6 or 8 digit code they give you...

George

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW's wallet was nicked outside Buckingham Palace a few years ago.
We cancelled everything and ordered a new DL for her online.
We later learned that the thief tried to use an ATM with one of her cards.

Fortunately, I had brought a CC which DW did not have.
... it was to help in case her cards were declined anywhere.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hopefully someone reaches out to find you, but the odds are tough. A few lost wallet stories for you all:

When I was in college I lost my wallet some 20+ miles from my apartment in San Diego. I wrote it off, as a kid would do. 1 week later a package arrived, and in it was my wallet. Everything intact, including the few bills of cash, my meal card, etc. Return address was a woman in Arizona, who turned out to be an LPGA golfer in town for a tournament. I wrote her a return letter thanking her for her thoughtfulness.

A few months ago, after the COVID lockdowns started, my wife was walking along the lagoon near the Aviara resort. She found a gentleman's wallet. She texted me the DL and I quickly found the retired doctor's residence and phone number. He lived a few miles away from us in La Costa. We coordinated a meeting and my wife got the wallet back to him within the hour.

I wish all people who found wallets would do the same, but understand this is not likely the case.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, while travelling outside of Barcelona, my wallet was stolen from my purse while I was holding it. I was going to dinner with new friends I had met on a tour. They graciously paid for my meal. A few days later I noticed there was a small police station near my hotel. I decided to inquire about filing a report. At one point the officer asked my name. When I told him, he reached into his top drawer and handed me my wallet. The local currency had been removed, but my drivers license was there. (And tucked in a secret compartment was the $50 US bill I had stashed there.)

mchct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for losing your wallet and especially about losing your medal since it meant a lot to you..

I haven't lost my wallet (yet!) but we've always turned in any wallets, keys or phones that we've found! Hopefully, someone does the right thing!

As others have posted/or you've already done, get a new driver's license issued, cancel all credit cards and put a credit card freeze with all three agencies. Having your Social Security number out there is also dangerous and I've read that they do not issue a new number, so you have to be careful about attempts to open fraudulent accounts, open credit or get medical services or even apply for your tax refund.

There was an article about the "Felony Lane Gang" and how they have a very intricate and sophisticated scam using stolen wallets, id, bank cards, and checks. This was the article/transcript on the aarp site: https://www.aarp.org/podcasts/the-perfect-scam/info-2020/felony-lane-gang.html

Hopefully, good karma for you and your wallet gets returned!
-Cathy

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
When I was in college, my wallet was stolen about a week before I was supposed to fly home. I didn't have much cash, and no credit cards, but without a license, I couldn't fly. The solution was, my fiance flew out instead and spent the weekend with me. My social security card was in the wallet, and I never replaced it. That was 50 years ago, and I never needed it for ID.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the late 90’s, we were staying at Whistler. Had dinner one night & next am DW discovered her purse was missing. She left it hanging on back of dinner chair. We went back to the restaurant & they did not have it. We decided to leave for home. We contacted our neighbors to let them know that we were coming home early and to watch out for anybody trying to enter the house. Credit cards were canceled on the drive home. Got home & there was vmail for us. It was the Royal Canadian police calling to say they had the purse, car & house keys, & wallet with credit cards (no cash). Purse was in mail box & postal worker took it to police office. They mailed it to us. No charge.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW once left her purse on the back of a chair at a bookstore.
An hour later, found it, right where she left it, undisturbed.
Peep who inhabit bookstores it seems are there for the books.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Back in the late 90’s, we were staying at Whistler. Had dinner one night & next am DW discovered her purse was missing. She left it hanging on back of dinner chair. We went back to the restaurant & they did not have it. We decided to leave for home. We contacted our neighbors to let them know that we were coming home early and to watch out for anybody trying to enter the house. Credit cards were canceled on the drive home. Got home & there was vmail for us. It was the Royal Canadian police calling to say they had the purse, car & house keys, & wallet with credit cards (no cash). Purse was in mail box & postal worker took it to police office. They mailed it to us. No charge.
Even Canadian thieves are nice!

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that sinking feeling, too. When I arrived at work one morning in 2002, I put my wallet on the roof of my car above the door while I reached inside to get a few more things. Then I walked into the office, forgetting about the wallet. It wasn't until lunchtime that I realized what happened. So I ran out to the car, saw the wallet was no longer there and nowhere in the vicinity, and immediately drove home. As I feared and expected, my bank and credit card companies had left fraud alert voice messages during the morning. And of course, I had just stopped at the ATM the day before, so the thieves got a $200 cash bonus.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a wallet in the parking lot of a Worldmark timeshare in Cathedral City. I took it to the front desk assuming based on what I saw inside that it belonged to a guest. The next day there was a knock at our door. The owner of said wallet had come to thank us and gifted us a bottle of wine. We talked for a while. I was only there because my Mother was in a nearby hospital dying. The woman who lost the wallet did social outreach and counseling as her occupation. She helped me. I helped her. We both parted feeling like the situation was intended to happen.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I would check Craigslist for someone selling a slightly used but dented pannier.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sorry this happened to you. I hope it gets returned to you. Horrible feeling.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would check Craigslist for someone selling a slightly used but dented pannier.

I did. I found one in the Seattle area but it has been for sale for a few weeks so it isn't mine.

Bill