• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lost my wallet

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Did you try social media with groups in your area?

After reading your post I mentioned my problem on facebook and craigslist. Yesterday I received a text message that some one might have found both the side case and wallet. I texted back today with no answer and called the number at 6 pm and left a message. I hope this pans out.

Bill

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
After somehow losing my credit card at a restaurant once and getting it back the next day after the server turned it in, I developed a new habit. When I take a credit card out to pay, I place the wallet on the table in front of me. When I get the card back, it goes into the wallet and then into the front pocket.

I have a “permanent” freeze on new credit applications. Hasn’t been a problem. I also have numerous monitors from the large number of breaches so if something does go missing, I will get several notices. I also have a Tile in the wallet and on my keys.

Good luck and lucky it wasn’t you who fell of your bike:)

Cheers

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
After somehow losing my credit card at a restaurant once and getting it back the next day after the server turned it in, I developed a new habit...

After leaving my CC behind at a restaurant a couple of times,
I started putting my card in my wallet before signing the slip,
and looking for it in my wallet before walking out.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I received an ominous text from my sister in law saying she received spam from my email. She also asked if I had my wallet back. I did have a Creiglist add and a mention on fb. I also received a text shortly after the craigslist add from someone saying they had my wallet. I texted back and called but never received a reply until today. Right after the text about spam from me to my sister in laws email I received another text from the guy that says he has my wallet.

I replied then called. He asked me to describe the case, contents and where I thought it fell off. I told him and he said he will ups it over. He is a long haul truck driver from what I can tell. Now I am wondering if I am getting scammed by texting him my address. He should have it on my license.

Have my hopes high and expectations low until I see my stuff.

Now I am to send the UPS cost and $100 reward via Western Union. I asked for a picture of my stuff. He became angry. I am thinking that I should send the funds but I knid of think its a scam.

Bill

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Luck Bill. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. I think most people are good and honorable- we just hear louder about the bad actors.

Brett

Reaction score
I received an ominous text from my sister in law saying she received spam from my email. She also asked if I had my wallet back. I did have a Creiglist add and a mention on fb. I also received a text shortly after the craigslist add from someone saying they had my wallet. I texted back and called but never received a reply until today. Right after the text about spam from me to my sister in laws email I received another text from the guy that says he has my wallet.

I replied then called. He asked me to describe the case, contents and where I thought it fell off. I told him and he said he will ups it over. He is a long haul truck driver from what I can tell. Now I am wondering if I am getting scammed by texting him my address. He should have it on my license.

Now I am to send the UPS cost and $100 reward via Western Union. I asked for a picture of my stuff. He became angry. I am thinking that I should send the funds but I knid of think its a scam.

Bill

yes, if they demand money through Western Union and don't text you a pic then it's probably a scam :(

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
I hope it works out. I am a skeptic and hence I would not have listed it on any ad. Like what you had pointed out, your address is on your DL. If an honest person found the wallet, the person would have returned it to you. Having an ad simply invites scammers.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I texted the guy and said to send a picture and I would send an extra $50. No picture yet. I think its a scam.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Scam. This is how I'd do it...
1. The finder posts it and then sends you a UPS tracking number.
2. You send the $$ via PayPal which can dispute if no delivery.
But... An honest person would not hold it hostage; just post it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I texted the guy and said to send a picture and I would send an extra $50. No picture yet. I think its a scam.

Bill

Scam written all over it! If it were me I would have asked to meet in a public parking lot during daylight business hours. I am not even sure I would mention a reward. I decent person would return the wallet without expecting one. And right- they would have your address in the wallet anyway (if it were not already ransacked) and could really just come to your house with it. Or they could have brought it to a police dept.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good grief, you know it is a scam. Are you playing with us? The truly honest person would mail it back, and if you reimbursed for postage and a reward afterwards, that would be nice. The person who really found it would have contacted you the day they did. Not wait for an ad online.

geekette

Reaction score
....The person who really found it would have contacted you the day they did.

This.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my wallet stolen in Hawaii years ago (left it in the trunk....stupid!).....They actually took our plane tickets as well and charged a couple hundred dollars (we weren't responsible for). The thing is a couple weeks later when I got home to California I received an envelope in the mail with all my pictures (this was years ago when alot of us kept pictures in our wallets) and my drivers license back. (no cash or credit cards but they'd already been canceled anyway.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...When I got home to California I received an envelope in the mail with all my pictures... and my drivers license back (no cash or credit cards but they'd already been canceled anyway).

Maybe they were sensitive sort of thieves.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
....The person who really found it would have contacted you the day they did.

This.

He did text the day after the add went onto Craigslist. I called him and texted him but no answer. Because his number is out of state I never answered his other calls so he sent a text. He said he is a trucker. He checked UPS in Anton Ill. and the amount was about $45. I was going to give a $100 + the $45. He said Western Union was at the truck stop.

I texted him that I would send the $145 + an extra $50 when he sends a picture and also texted I hope this isn't a problem. He texted back "no problem" and "Have a good day".

I took the add off Craigslist and the mention off facebook.

So it is likely a scam but we will see. He may have sent it UPS anyway. I'm not holding my breath, lol.

Bill

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
I am usually a trusting soul, but I don't feel good about this...
edited to add -- I hope I am wrong.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
My guess is 100% scam.

Did you Google his number to see if it has been associated with other scams? You can also check to see if it is a VoIP number which scammers out of the country will use.

Scammers browse Craigslist looking for an easy mark. You could have told him your bag was pink and the wallet purple and he would have said he had it. Making himself a “long haul trucker” was just so you wouldn’t ask to pick it up in person. A wire transfer request is the icing on the cake.

I see scams everywhere. There has been multiple business names coming up as a “sponsored ad” on FaceBook selling Maui Jim sunglasses for $30 or so. Probably the same scammer but people might give it a try because It is supposedly sponsored. Facebook and OfferUp are also inundated with vehicles for sale way below value. The seller always asks that they be emailed only. Not unusual for them to put their generic email address on the picture itself to try and avoid getting caught by including an email in the description. It also looks like user profiles are being hijacked by the scammers. The scammers steal photos and descriptions of real vehicles for sale. One scammer was selling a Class B RV for $20K. Using reverse image I found the real seller and he had it listed for $80K. The scammer used his exact description too.

Wherever someone is desperate, sad, lonely, or greedy a scammer is going to be there to exploit them.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you Google his number to see if it has been associated with other scams?

I did. He had two numbers. The second number was from Gainesville Georgia and the info was on a house valued at $360,000. The first number he used was from Washington and on google a bunch of invoices, like bills of lading showed up.

Our area has many manufacturers, agricultural products and other goods that are shipped all over the world, mostly by trucks. So it wouldn't be a surprise if a trucker found it. It does make sense that a trucker would be in Illinois.

What doesn't make sense is a person in Illinois reading a Craiglist lost and found add from our area. Since I have replaced everything that was lost and will never use BMW type panniers again it doesn't matter too much.

Yesterday I had a credit alert. Someone tried to access my credit score. It freaked me out a bit until my wife said it was her talking to Bank of America. Bank of America was denied access so I feel a bit better about that end of things.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I did. He had two numbers. The second number was from Gainesville Georgia and the info was on a house valued at $360,000. The first number he used was from Washington and on google a bunch of invoices, like bills of lading showed up.

Our area has many manufacturers, agricultural products and other goods that are shipped all over the world, mostly by trucks. So it wouldn't be a surprise if a trucker found it. It does make sense that a trucker would be in Illinois.

What doesn't make sense is a person in Illinois reading a Craiglist lost and found add from our area. Since I have replaced everything that was lost and will never use BMW type panniers again it doesn't matter too much.

Yesterday I had a credit alert. Someone tried to access my credit score. It freaked me out a bit until my wife said it was her talking to Bank of America. Bank of America was denied access so I feel a bit better about that end of things.

Bill
What doesn't make sense is he's asking you to pay to western union, that he claims ups charges 45 to ship a wallet, that he doesn't respond to your requests for picture except with anger, that he had your address on dl, that he demands a $100 reward, that he finds your wallet and miraculously finds your cl and but never bothered to look you up with info in wallet.

Stop the madness.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What doesn't make sense is he's asking you to pay to western union, that he claims ups charges 45 to ship a wallet, that he doesn't respond to your requests for picture except with anger, that he had your address on dl, that he demands a $100 reward, that he finds your wallet and miraculously finds your cl and but never bothered to look you up with info in wallet.

Stop the madness.

Well it kind of does make sense. Most of the rural roads we were on are main agriculture and manufacturing areas with many truckers using these routes with the exception of the 10 miles of gravel. A BMW pannier for a R1200gs came off my bike somewhere. In the pannier was my wallet. He found the pannier and my wallet. The cost of a new BMW pannier is about $600. He was going to send the entire pannier back UPS. He could have just mailed my wallet.

I bought new adventure panniers so I really don't need the pannier back but I would have liked it back. Western Union is at many truck stops so that isn't a problem. He did text me on the same day I put the add in craigslist lost and found from a local number. He had been calling but his number has a Georgia area code so I never answered. He finally texted me. I called him and the rest of the story is on an above post.

Actually, I don't need any of the things I lost as I have replaced it all. I would like the items back because of the information in my wallet.

Bill