• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPCteam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Experienced Tuggers,
I would highly value any feedback that could be shared concerning the Holiday Inn resort at Orange Lake (West Village). Anything would be appreciated (positive & negative) about the resort specifically and Holiday Inn Vacation Club in general.

We own a few timeshares and have considered trading (RCI) into the Orange Lake resort before. We simply don't understand the limitations that would apply to us as purchaser's on the resale market.

One specific question would be whether we would have the ability to freely allow our family who live in Florida to use our week without a fee or a special certificate, etc.

Thank you all for anything you can add to our research!!!!
Steve & Penny

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Last edited:

SPCteam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.
I did find a good deal of that reading helpful. Just looking for as many pros & cons as possible.
Thx again, Steve

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own a week at Orange Lake and live in Florida. Are you looking to buy resale? Or are you wanting to exchange into Orange Lake? Not sure if they still have the 1-4 rule. What that means is you can only exchange into Orange Lake once every four years. If you could be more specific I may be able to answer your questions.
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you own a deeded week at Orange Lake in Orlando then there is no fee to change the name when you have a guest. You just need to call and let them know.

MF are on the higher end for a 2 br unit ($950 is with tax) and they are fixed. I wouldn't buy a specific week that you don't think you would use most of the time as you would have to go through RCI to exchange and that would be another $200-$300 fee. Since Orlando has many nice timeshares it is hard to rent out to cover MF let alone make a profit for most weeks. I believe the 2 br and the 3 br's have the same MF so you may want to look into getting a 3 br for the week you want. Another thing that isn't bad for owning to use but isn't the best for owning to exchange or rent is the rooms don't lock off. With RCI you get more TPU (trading power units for depositing 2 smaller units vs 1 larger mainly because they make 2 exchange fees rather than 1).

HICV is nice and flexible but if you want your home resort to be Orlando, you can't get it resale without an additional purchase of $8000 or up.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
assuming you are trading in via RCI, you must have a guest certificate from RCI in the guest's name if the RCI account owner is not present to check in. W Village has both tennis villas (5 stories) and single story drive-up duplexes, and also some quads (2 story duplexes). Pros/cons--park in front vs in parking lot. Low vs. high density=noise level. Tennis villas you can walk to pool, others might be a longer walk. The new pools have big crowds and parking can be an issue. Also finding shade. OLCC has a nice location to WDW, as you can use the back road to avoid a lot of traffic. OLCC is a decent, larger resort with lots to do onsite. We prefer a smaller footprint like HGVC or Marriott, but that's just our preference.
No info re. HIVC program.

Last edited:

SPCteam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your time sharing info with us!! We will probably trade into (RCI) the resort this spring and check it out before possibly buying something there (resale). I've concluded that any resale purchase would put us out of some benefits of the HIVC, but I'm still 'fuzzy' about exactly what we'd be missing & if it would even matter to us. We will probably try to use an 'extra vacation certificate' for the 'exchange' which I believe will not be affected by the 1-in-4 rule (I may be wrong... it has been known to happen) ;) ---- Thanks again for the feedback!!

Scott W

Reaction score
Thank you all for your time sharing info with us!! We will probably trade into (RCI) the resort this spring and check it out before possibly buying something there (resale). I've concluded that any resale purchase would put us out of some benefits of the HIVC, but I'm still 'fuzzy' about exactly what we'd be missing & if it would even matter to us. We will probably try to use an 'extra vacation certificate' for the 'exchange' which I believe will not be affected by the 1-in-4 rule (I may be wrong... it has been known to happen) ;) ---- Thanks again for the feedback!!

It would appear that if your family members are also on the deed they would have access to the resort on a daily basis. Scroll down to the questions under Reservations & Visting:

http://orangelake.com/owners/faq

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi again SPC, We purchased a studio at OLCC and used it mostly for trades. We upgraded to a two bedroom points week that allows us to be members of HIVC. We usually put our points into IHG hotels so we can add hotel nights to some of our timeshare stays. We have also used the points to exchange into other HIVC resorts. We have stayed at Myrtle Beach and Cape Canaveral. We live in centralFlorida so we use the facilities at Orange Lake, for golf and also River Island. We bought a fixed week from another tug member, but we sold it to a friend. Having one week at Orange Lake is enough. We make use of this week, more flexible than other weeks we own. I am going to send you a PM with more info.
Silentg