• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

geekette

Reaction score
What surprised me the most was how much more I enjoyed the meals I cooked versus those ready made products.
I think you will find that when you control the ingredients (fresh, frozen, canned...), and skip the preservatives, massive sugar and/or sodium, Taste shines through.

I always wanted to take a cooking class and learn basic sauces, what herbs go with what.... but just end up experimenting. Yeah, most of my brilliance cannot be repeated because I don't know what I did.

At some point I will experiment with cauliflower. I like it fine, but now that it's showing up everywhere (pizza crust?) it deserves more consideration from me than just broccoli's pale side kick.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think you will find that when you control the ingredients (fresh, frozen, canned...), and skip the preservatives, massive sugar and/or sodium, Taste shines through.

I always wanted to take a cooking class and learn basic sauces, what herbs go with what.... but just end up experimenting. Yeah, most of my brilliance cannot be repeated because I don't know what I did.

At some point I will experiment with cauliflower. I like it fine, but now that it's showing up everywhere (pizza crust?) it deserves more consideration from me than just broccoli's pale side kick.
Check out the Loaded Potato Cauliflower soup on Skinnytaste. It's so good!

geekette

Reaction score
Check out the Loaded Potato Cauliflower soup on Skinnytaste. It's so good!
I bookmarked Skinnytaste - I very much appreciate knowing about that site.

But SOUP with a good review, you hit my sweet spot - I LOVE soup and the loaded potato soup I make is just way too fatty and caloric. I will give this a go when I get home (to snow!) Thank you!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I’m in. I’ve posted about this previously but my basic story: overweight to varying degrees all of my life. About 10 years ago, my physician insisted I lose weight. I started exercising and tracking calories in the LoseIt! app. I lost around 45-50 pounds over around 3-4 years, then mostly hovered fairly effortlessly at the 45 pound weight loss which for me is 132 pounds.

Eventually my main form of exercise became cycling and at first I was a long distance cyclist, riding events in the 100-200 mile range. It’s easy to burn big calories riding like that so all you need to do is eat reasonably and you maintain a good weight.

Over time, I started doing shorter more intense races which necessitated a lower overall total volume of riding, because I needed to go into some of these hard short workouts with a degree of rest. Last year I trained for some really short races (around 7 min and 15 min duration) and gained around 10 pounds. Then about a month after my races (when I’d planned to be back riding a high volume & losing weight), I crashed,broke some ribs, got a concussion and it took me awhile to get back on the bike. I gained another 10 pounds.

Right when I was getting some fitness back, my dachshund had her rabbit hunting fires kindled and I cut back on the bike to accommodate field work with the dog. I’m just now getting back into things on the bike.

Around Oct of last year, after I was pretty well recovered from the concussion, I started back with calorie counting. I’ve lost 8 pounds and the goal is 12 more, or as much as 22 more if I could manage it (but I won’t sweat the last 10 pounds if I can’t manage it).

I had been intending to get back into racing but I’d rather focus on volume riding and calorie burning for now. So the immediate goal is to ride up Haleakala when we go to Maui in May. That’s only a 35 mile ride but it has 10,000 ft of vertical elevation gain and ends at 10,000 ft of altitude. For those of you who don’t ride, that is a very challenging ride on a number of levels- total elevation gain, lack of respite from going up, and the altitude in the second half of the ride.

Anyway. My basic approach is straightforward. I eat 100ish grams protein per day and at least 25 grams of fiber. The fiber ensures I eat vegetables and whole grains. The protein is to enable muscle gain/prevent muscle loss and for satiety purposes. My caloric allotment is around 1600 cal/day but I eat much more on big ride days (as much as 2500 cal, which isn’t really dieting at all) and somewhat more on workout days (around 2000-2100 cal/day). I have power meters on all my bikes, meaning my power output is directly measured which means I have very accurate calorie expenditure numbers for my rides/workouts. I typically ride 4-5 days per week, around 10ish hours per week (but this varies a lot), do a lot of fasted training so can rack up pretty big calorie deficits. I also routinely do core workouts and stretching. Lots of walking in the field with the dogs. Planning on starting up yoga again.

So most of my posts will be about workouts.

Today I did a 20 min core workout- planks and crunches. Followed by a 70 min workout on the bike. 20 min warm up and three 10 min intervals at 110% of my lactate threshold power, with 5 min rest between intervals and a 10 min cool down. Total calories burned (excluding the core workout)- 502 cal.

:)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My doctor threaten me with a daily needle for my sugar issue. I decided to counter offer ... agree to LOSE weight. 3 months later and again 3 more months later... I was down big (40+) pounds.

HOW? NutriSystem System 30 day QVC offering. Been about 10 years and still keeping the weight off. And my knees don't hurt anymore either.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Just entered today's food into LoseIt!

Post workout I had a recovery drink comprised of 8 oz 1% milk, half a frozen pear, 10 gm whey protein isolate, 5 gm glutamine, and 1oz Torani french vanilla syrup, whirled in the blender with a bit of ice and topped with cinnamon. This gives me the post workout macros I want, which is 22 gm protein and 42 gm carbs. Its also very delicious!

Breakfast was half a whole wheat mini bagel with a sous vide egg bite, and a fruit salad (grapefruit from my garden, navel orange and blackberries).

Lunch will be a giant romaine lettuce salad with dates, swiss cheese and chicken breast, tossed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Plus 1 oz caramel corn from the farmer's market (popcorn is a whole grain!).

Dinner will be left over chicken friccasse, with the chicken removed from the bone, tossed with whole wheat penne and steamed broccoli. This is not a "diet" dish in any way. The sauce is made with butter and heavy cream. :)

Snacks will be hummus and cucumber spears, an apple and homemade peanut butter (just roasted salted peanuts whirled in the food processor, so good!), and some raspberries.

That works out to 1830 calories, 38 gm fiber and 107 gm protein, which factoring in my 502 calorie workout leaves me with a 255 cal deficit for the day. I may have a glass of wine with dinner, or I might save my surplus this week. We're going to Disneyland on Friday and I'm planning on eating a Monte Cristo sandwich. There's a diet buster... Plus we're doing a mixology seminar and will hit up the booths at the Food and Wine Festival. Oh yeah, not to mention the dessert party. Yikes. But it will be ok, I'll get some good rides in this weekend...

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I’m in. I’ve posted about this previously but my basic story: overweight to varying degrees all of my life. About 10 years ago, my physician insisted I lose weight. I started exercising and tracking calories in the LoseIt! app. I lost around 45-50 pounds over around 3-4 years, then mostly hovered fairly effortlessly at the 45 pound weight loss which for me is 132 pounds.

Eventually my main form of exercise became cycling and at first I was a long distance cyclist, riding events in the 100-200 mile range. It’s easy to burn big calories riding like that so all you need to do is eat reasonably and you maintain a good weight.

Over time, I started doing shorter more intense races which necessitated a lower overall total volume of riding, because I needed to go into some of these hard short workouts with a degree of rest. Last year I trained for some really short races (around 7 min and 15 min duration) and gained around 10 pounds. Then about a month after my races (when I’d planned to be back riding a high volume & losing weight), I crashed,broke some ribs, got a concussion and it took me awhile to get back on the bike. I gained another 10 pounds.

Right when I was getting some fitness back, my dachshund had her rabbit hunting fires kindled and I cut back on the bike to accommodate field work with the dog. I’m just now getting back into things on the bike.

Around Oct of last year, after I was pretty well recovered from the concussion, I started back with calorie counting. I’ve lost 8 pounds and the goal is 12 more, or as much as 22 more if I could manage it (but I won’t sweat the last 10 pounds if I can’t manage it).

I had been intending to get back into racing but I’d rather focus on volume riding and calorie burning for now. So the immediate goal is to ride up Haleakala when we go to Maui in May. That’s only a 35 mile ride but it has 10,000 ft of vertical elevation gain and ends at 10,000 ft of altitude. For those of you who don’t ride, that is a very challenging ride on a number of levels- total elevation gain, lack of respite from going up, and the altitude in the second half of the ride.

Anyway. My basic approach is straightforward. I eat 100ish grams protein per day and at least 25 grams of fiber. The fiber ensures I eat vegetables and whole grains. The protein is to enable muscle gain/prevent muscle loss and for satiety purposes. My caloric allotment is around 1600 cal/day but I eat much more on big ride days (as much as 2500 cal, which isn’t really dieting at all) and somewhat more on workout days (around 2000-2100 cal/day). I have power meters on all my bikes, meaning my power output is directly measured which means I have very accurate calorie expenditure numbers for my rides/workouts. I typically ride 4-5 days per week, around 10ish hours per week (but this varies a lot), do a lot of fasted training so can rack up pretty big calorie deficits. I also routinely do core workouts and stretching. Lots of walking in the field with the dogs. Planning on starting up yoga again.

Today I did a 20 min core workout- planks and crunches. Followed by a 70 min workout on the bike. 20 min warm up and three 10 min intervals at 110% of my lactate threshold power, with 5 min rest between intervals and a 10 min cool down. Total calories burned (excluding the core workout)- 502 cal.

Life happens, glad you are back to doing what it seems you love. Very impressive. I can only dream about workouts like yours.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m a lifetime member at Weight Watchers. As long as I am at my goal weight then I don’t have to pay a membership fee $44.00 a month. At meetings they say you need a ”WHY” as in why do you want to lose weight. My WHY is I am cheap and I don’t want to pay $44 a month. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad why but it’s working for me.

For those of you who are interested Weight Watchers always has specials that make it cheaper than $44 a month.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Today was cooking morning. I made a tomato mushroom egg pie, vegetarian tuna out of chickpeas and eggplant balls like meatballs and marinara sauce . Thanks to @klpca telling us about skinnytaste.com I got the idea for the eggplant balls. I did do the recipe different. I love eggplant and normally make eggplant steaks so this was a nice new twist for me. I got at least 12 meals from today’s cooking

My tomato mushroom egg slice
6378E78D-8105-4EBA-8B88-258DFA7510F3.jpeg

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I brought an electric mountain bike - love it. So freeing...
We already try an eat well (80% of time).

fd36c40d3398b7943e9b6ea1d2bcc45b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't know that there was such a thing for mountain biking. I may have to look into that.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I didn't know that there was such a thing for mountain biking. I may have to look into that.

Not inexpensive, but worth it.
They are becoming more common.
The new Bosch pedal-assist motor is excellent. Photo is 2020 Trek Rail 7.
I owned a Trek Powerfly 5 previously, but upgraded when the new motor came out.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an eBike too -- my is a Trek / Bosch as well. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Major mid-life splurge but it is pure joy. I live in the midwest and cannot wait to get it out again this spring.

Fitness is my passion.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have an eBike too -- my is a Trek / Bosch as well. One of the best purchases I have ever made. Major mid-life splurge but it is pure joy. I live in the midwest and cannot wait to get it out again this spring.

Fitness is my passion.

What model? Trying to find one for Robin (5’1”) with low step thru.

I did this recently...
(I would have never been able to ride these hills without pedal assist).
In hills above Saratoga (CA). Weather has been in 70s...

ef53a12d63b6b9b0f1cf8b8a3e519f25.jpg

33ca4d89b85dac50b7bb68ca09002c61.jpg

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Verve + (I do not have the low step, but there is one). I doubt this is what you want as it's not geared for mountain biking. I use it for commuting, running errands and fitness riding on trails in our local preserves / rec areas. During spring , summer I make a conscious decision to try to use my bike in lieu of the car for extra fitness. I also use it to go back and forth to the gym.

I used to hate bike riding but this I love. We have a great fitness area near my house that is bi-sected by a giant bridge (that goes over an interstate). This bridge is a now a non-issue for me. It also eliminates any wind factor.

I am at the gym 6 days a week. This is just a natural extension of what I do there.

Brett

Reaction score

wow, 200 mile bike rides :D

I could do 100 miles if it was all downhill ...

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in. Gained 20 lbs after retiring and moving to Fl. Before I moved I had horses and daily stall cleaning and lots of yard work and I didn’t appreciate how much that work kept my metabolism up. Now retired, lazy, traveling a lot, DH collects wine, and I don’t exercise.
I usually always eat well and healthy, no processed foods, weight watcher size portions. I just never exercise. I must start doing this. I have a hip muscle that needs work, and I need to build up upper body strength for the heavy camera I am now using. So my goal is to hit the gym and sidewalk. And ride my bike.
Heathpack, I knew about your long distance rides but not about your accident. Hope you stay safe. I stopped riding horses out of fear of getting badly hurt. I know a lot of women my age who got badly hurt in the past 10 years and it freaked my out.
The gym it is.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Since 9/3/2019, I have lost 49 pounds. I have 31 to go and hope to be there by the end of a year, so 9/2/20. I would like to lose another 10 after I lose the 31 additional pounds, ultimately, but I would like to lose the 31 and see how I am feeling. A Facebook group I belong to has been a great help. This is a program I started after my neighbor lost 70 pounds and looked amazing. I saw her in October of 2018, and then in June of 2018, she was vivacious and youthful looking and was six sizes smaller. She is my coach. I noticed her and told her I wanted to do whatever she did.

I eat six times a day. Small meals except dinner, which is 5-7 ounces of protein (depending on how lean it is) and 3 servings of green vegetables. I feel good, my pulse is under 60, my blood pressure is 100/60, and my cholesterol is lower than it's ever been. My doc was amazed. The program is perfect for me. I have never been this successful at weight loss. My life is completely different. I don't think I am going to need a hip replacement now. My right hip had to be replaced 5 years ago, and since then, I have had pain on the left side, but no more.

There are two books I have read related to the program, and everything is in place in my head to keep the weight off. I haven't strayed even one day from my program. It's easy for me. I have done WW and other programs. Atkins worked, but I had to plan all of those meals. One meal is easy every day, and that is all I have to plan and think about. I eat cauliflower crust pizza and love it so much. I eat steak and green beans and salads. I eat pulled pork and broccoli a lot.

My plan to go on maintenance is very similar to what I am doing now to lose weight, but I won't spend this much money anymore on the Medifast foods. I will still eat six times a day. Each of the 5 meals will be around 100-150 calories, except dinner will pretty much stay the same.

I will replace my current bars with Built bars, and I will replace my current delicious shakes with others that I can buy at Costco. I will eat yogurt, those 80 calorie ones, for one meal. I will eat nuts for one meal. Lots of other choices that are listed in the books as replacements for the current easy-breezy choices I am doing now. I will eat an egg for breakfast every day, or a protein pancake (Kodiak brand). I can eat a small amount of popcorn, around 100 calories' worth, but no more big buckets at the movie theater. That has been a challenge to walk by the concession stand at the movies.

I see companies creating new products that I can eat and maintain my weight loss. Eating six times a day has become a great habit. I love it. No hunger pangs. I also drink 90-120 oz of water a day. Love that. I also get to drink my coffee, but I do half decaf in my coffee pot.

Life is good, I feel so positive. This was my destiny to find this program. Too bad the food is costly. If it was not so expensive, I would just stay on it forever, but $450/ month for just those easy meals is cutting into the budget (my travel budget!).

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I went to yoga after all yesterday evening. Not sure I would have if it weren’t for thinking about it on account of this thread. I wanted something mellow so I picked a Restorative Yoga class.

When I signed up for the class online at the new-to-me yoga studio, they offered me a $30 first month new member special- I was planning on the single $17 class fee, but took the unlimited classes for a month option. So I guess March will be yoga month for me.

The class was excellent. It was lots of lying down poses with props to put your body into a deep stretch of some specific muscle group that you didn’t even realize was tight. Very relaxing, great ambience.

My day off is going to change from Fri to Wed next Sept. I could definitely see making this Wed evening class a regular thing (right now to make the class, stars have to align such that I can get out of work a little early).

This studio has a great vibe and quite a few interesting classes, glad I found it.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to Disneyland on Friday and I'm planning on eating a Monte Cristo sandwich. There's a diet buster... Plus we're doing a mixology seminar and will hit up the booths at the Food and Wine Festival. Oh yeah, not to mention the dessert party. Yikes. But it will be ok, I'll get some good rides in this weekend...
Calories don't add up at Disneyland. It's the new Mickey Math. :)
I used to hate bike riding but this I love
I hate bike riding and my husband purchased one of those a few months ago. Maybe I'll give it a try. I have a heart murmur that has kept me from biking and running, but I can do pretty much everything else that I've wanted to do.
Restorative Yoga class.
I love this. I go once per week. It's my goal to go at least twice per week, but I have a wonky schedule and usually just make it once. I did go last night and Friday is my normal day to go, so I may make it twice this week.

I am trying to not eat after 4pm to see if that helps, but it's not working too well since I am not organized enough to shop and set up my meals too far ahead of time. I thought I was going to be able to do it last night, but when I got home from Yoga, I realized that I was hungry and I probably wasn't going to have a good sleep unless I ate something. I made good food choices, so at least there's that.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I went to yoga after all yesterday evening. Not sure I would have if it weren’t for thinking about it on account of this thread. I wanted something mellow so I picked a Restorative Yoga class.

When I signed up for the class online at the new-to-me yoga studio, they offered me a $30 first month new member special- I was planning on the single $17 class fee, but took the unlimited classes for a month option. So I guess March will be yoga month for me.

The class was excellent. It was lots of lying down poses with props to put your body into a deep stretch of some specific muscle group that you didn’t even realize was tight. Very relaxing, great ambience.

My day off is going to change from Fri to Wed next Sept. I could definitely see making this Wed evening class a regular thing (right now to make the class, stars have to align such that I can get out of work a little early).

This studio has a great vibe and quite a few interesting classes, glad I found it.
That is what I hoped this thread would become, a reminder of what we want to do for ourselves.

My community has many yoga classes. Years ago I tried yoga and didn’t like it. I think I will try it again.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
That is what I hoped this thread would become, a reminder of what we want to do for ourselves.

My community has many yoga classes. Years ago I tried yoga and didn’t like it. I think I will try it again.

Yoga is a huge spectrum, from something athletic to something relaxing to a mix of both. In the past, I've done the athletic yoga, which I like. But I do enough athletic stuff now on the bike so I lean towards the relaxing/meditative/stretching side of things.

Last night's class was perfect- I have never been to a yoga class before that was quite that mellow. There was this guy playing sitar (he is a local student looking for a meaningful place to practice, he was quite accomplished I thought) and the music added a lot to the ambiance. At the end, there was a little sound bath component, with tones from a gong and finger cymbals. Sounds weird but it was not at all, it was pretty awesome.

The physical movements were really just relaxing deep long stretches, passive stretches using your own body weight.

If you're looking for a relaxation session, I'd suggest giving that a whirl, if you can find something similar.

This particular studio has a few relaxtion type classes per week, some "normal" athletic type yoga, a pilates class, and-- sounds kind of cool-- a class in which you use straps suspended from the wall to do some acrobatic anti-gravity/inversion type of poses. Probably requires a little more grace and coordination than comes to me naturally, but I can see it feeling really good. I'll probably check it out this month...

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I did a 50 min workout on the bike this morning. Twenty minute warm up, then a 20 min long work interval at my 105% of my lactate threshold, then a 10 min cool down.

For those of you not up on sports physiology, your lactate threshold is the maximal effort you can sustain for about an hour while still staying in a steady state metabolism of lactate such that you are not getting excessive accumulation of lactate (lactate accumulation is the primary thing that causes your muscles to eventually fatigue with prolonged activity- actually not lactate (which can be metabolized as an energy source) but acid however lactate is the marker in the blood that can be tracked so its easier to just say 'lactate'). The basic gist is that lower intensity muscle efforts use mostly oxidative metabolism, don't produce much lactate and can be sustained for very long periods of time (hours and hours). Whereas higher intensity efforts use glycolytic (anaerobic) metabolism, produce a lot of lactate, and cannot be sustained for more than a few seconds to minutes.

When you work at lactate threshold, you are trying to stay at a "just so" intensity of effort so that you're creating lactate but also metabolizing it fast enough that its not building up to excess. You train to do this because the harder the intensity with which you ride, the faster you go. But if you go too hard, you won't be able to sustain that effort for the duration of your race.

Anyway, the point really is that a lactate threshold workout is a hard workout, but something I do all the time. I expected the work interval to be tough but doable. Lol, one minute in, my legs were saying 'what the heck, no'. About 5-7 minutes in, I started to get into my groove. About 15 minutes in, it was super hard but I was happy because I knew I was going to get it done. Then 20 mins in: accomplishment!

Microcosm of life in that 20 min work interval.

Edited to add: 325 cal burned, I also did a core workout prior.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
This morning I entered my WW points for the whole day. That is I entered what I was planning to eat today. Of course I can change it. But wow this is such a huge difference. I know where I stand. Doing it this way definitely keeps me for going over my points which is probably why I don’t usually do it. :) But yesterday day (thanks to this forum) I decided that for Lent I was going to stay within my points everyday. So far so good.