• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I had gained and lost over the years, but not that much. I usually did some type of fad diet thing, lost some weight, then gained it back. I really started gaining weight between baby and and baby two and after my second daughter was born I started weight watchers. Lost the weight, and probably more than I should have, kept it off for awhile, then gained it all back plus more. I finally decided in 2001 that I'd had it. I wasn't able to be the "happy fat lady". I went back to Weight Watchers and it was a straight downwards trend after that. Took almost a year to lose the weight, but I did keep it off this time.
For sure, your journey gives me lots of hope to keep trying.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I avoid junk food, snacks and desserts but still gain weight
My problem is I like to eat. Gotta get out and exercise

I’ve found that I have to do both, change my diet and exercise, in order to lose weight. If I do one without the other, I can maintain fairly well but I can’t lose.

I love snacks too, chips, nuts, and candy. And, ice cream is my favorite thing in the world. I haven’t eaten any ice cream in about a month now. I feel like I’m in rehab! I’m trying to do healthy snacks (fruits and nuts) and very few of them, and no desserts. My crutch is Dove dark chocolate Minis and Wuerther’s soft caramels. I have one of each after lunch or dinner to satisfy my sweet tooth and so far it’s working.

My problem this week is it is my daughter’s birthday and we have reservations at a churrascaria, Texas de Brazil, Saturday night. I hope I can be smart and not keep asking for more. Refusing dessert will probably be out of the question so I’m planning to hit the gym Sunday morning.

Harry

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Okay, so this is probably not quite what @Panina had in mind when she opened this thread, but I have to share the following.

Where I work, there is a weight loss contest in progress. I think everyone in the contest pitched in a couple dollars or so (nothing big) but something to put a reward out there. I'd estimate about 2/3rds of the staff here is in the contest. (I work at a public school.....with lots of women.....who can cook some of the most delectable items - usually desserts - I've ever tasted).

Now these women are serious about this contest...and they are competitive.
The last couple of weeks have seen more cakes, pies, and desserts that are literally mouth watering.
For now, it appears the contestants effort's have been wasted because almost everyone in the contest has decreased their weight.

Now for those of us NOT in the contest........uh - oh.

But wow, are the some good treats around here lately!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve found that I have to do both, change my diet and exercise, in order to lose weight. If I do one without the other, I can maintain fairly well but I can’t lose.

I love snacks too, chips, nuts, and candy. And, ice cream is my favorite thing in the world. I haven’t eaten any ice cream in about a month now. I feel like I’m in rehab! I’m trying to do healthy snacks (fruits and nuts) and very few of them, and no desserts. My crutch is Dove dark chocolate Minis and Wuerther’s soft caramels. I have one of each after lunch or dinner to satisfy my sweet tooth and so far it’s working.

My problem this week is it is my daughter’s birthday and we have reservations at a churrascaria, Texas de Brazil, Saturday night. I hope I can be smart and not keep asking for more. Refusing dessert will probably be out of the question so I’m planning to hit the gym Sunday morning.

Harry

Enjoy your daughters birthday. I know for myself one day of eating more then I should is not the problem.

I recommend a Yonana to get that ice cream fix. Using bananas and cherries is my favorite.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, so this is probably not quite what @Panina had in mind when she opened this thread, but I have to share the following.

Where I work, there is a weight loss contest in progress. I think everyone in the contest pitched in a couple dollars or so (nothing big) but something to put a reward out there. I'd estimate about 2/3rds of the staff here is in the contest. (I work at a public school.....with lots of women.....who can cook some of the most delectable items - usually desserts - I've ever tasted).

Now these women are serious about this contest...and they are competitive.
The last couple of weeks have seen more cakes, pies, and desserts that are literally mouth watering.
For now, it appears the contestants effort's have been wasted because almost everyone in the contest has decreased their weight.

Now for those of us NOT in the contest........uh - oh.

But wow, are the some good treats around here lately!
Contests can be a motivator for some especially when money is involved, don’t think it would fly here on TUG. We will just need to rely on each other’s support and hope that motivates us.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An update from yesterday. I usually have peanut butter with one slice of gluten-free toast for breakfast. My husband who toasts bread for me in the morning gave me 2 slices because they were tiny and it was golf day. Half way through the round I was less hungry than usual, and I slowly worked on a small bag of cheetos when I reached the 15th hole. At lunch I had a cheese burger protein style with a handful of fries. I had 4 pieces of the dark chocolate thin bark with almonds at around 4pm - my one bad thing which I did for the day. Dinner was a very small serving of chicken salad which I made for dinner. No snacks after dinner which was rare. My weight was fine this morning.

geekette

Reaction score
I'm on the healthier eating plan tho not for weight loss.

One thing I'd like to mention for those that are doing more activity alongside, don't let the scale rule. Bring out some pants you'd like to fit into better and let those be your guide.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so you can be trading fat for muscle, yet the scale won't budge. However, those pants don't lie.

Further on the activity front, if you do the same workout every time, your body will get used to it. Vary your activities, it makes your body work harder, and you get better conditioning. If you are a walker, maybe vary your pace. Normal for warmup, then do some intermittent fast walks. Work up to fast walking for a minute or whatever works for you. It doesn't seem like much, but this small variance does make a difference. Ditto if you are using treadmill or elliptical. Add incline. Periodically go into "sprint" (I don't run, so I assume for others also that Sprint is merely faster than normal, even if not top of your accessible level).

For anyone planning on swimming laps, be forewarned that swimming makes you VERY hungry. Perhaps chase that workout with a banana and chocolate milk. Chocolate milk is a great healer of muscles post-workout, and at least a little filling.

Good luck to all! You can do it!! 2020 is a good year to find your balance.

geekette

Reaction score
Harry
Water is your friend. It can help you find full to prevent asking for more. I eat slowly, so especially if I am engaged in conversation, I can't eat as much.

I have to stay away from all you can eat, because my cheap side can be determined to get my money's worth. In your case, it's a celebration. One evening. Eat light that morning and lunch. Gym the next day, and you are back on track!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Muscle weighs more than fat, so you can be trading fat for muscle, yet the scale won't budge. However, those pants don't lie.
I'm sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. Muscle doe NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound. But a pound of muscle is more dense and will take up less space than a pound of fat.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I've been meeting with a nutritionist/nurse for a year.
Her main messages are
Eat until 80% full, then give your brain 15 minutes to catch up.
Respond not react
Be active, give yourself time to relax, sleep and drink water.

I'm down more than 20 pounds and have made these changes more permanent, since I'm not "giving up" anything nor following a plan.

This is a free service offered by my insurance.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Her main messages are
Respond not react

I'm down more than 20 pounds and have made these changes more permanent, since I'm not "giving up" anything nor following a plan.

My problem was I didn't know when I was 80% full. I would keep eating until I was stuffed, or over stuffed. That is why Weight Watchers was successful for me. I had to learn what a portion size was. So the weighing and measuring didn't bother me. Now after all these years I can more of less eyeball a portion size and estimate the weight, or whatever. But it certainly wasn't intuitive. Did your nutritionist give you any tips on how to judge the 80% full mark?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Her main messages are
Respond not react

Congratulations on your 20 lb loss. Good tips, “ Be active, give yourself time to relax, sleep and drink water. It is not all about food.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m here. I’m trying. I go up and down. Right now I’m just trying to exercise more and eat less bread, pasta and sugar. If I do that I will lose easily. I have a St. Thomas trip coming up and I’m hoping to buy a new bathing suit or 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Good luck on your weigh in today! I rejoined WW last summer at work. No regrets. Biggest win? The comradry. Other than that? well, I haven't given up! Just going a different direction for now.
And, all the best with the stress. Dealing with our loved ones can be a a real juggling act at time :)

geekette

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. Muscle doe NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound. But a pound of muscle is more dense and will take up less space than a pound of fat.
LOL, yes, of course you are correct!!!! I wrote the stupid thing I heard in my head. My fingers are decent at spellcheck, but never thought check.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My problem was I didn't know when I was 80% full. I would keep eating until I was stuffed, or over stuffed. That is why Weight Watchers was successful for me. I had to learn what a portion size was. So the weighing and measuring didn't bother me. Now after all these years I can more of less eyeball a portion size and estimate the weight, or whatever. But it certainly wasn't intuitive. Did your nutritionist give you any tips on how to judge the 80% full mark?
In our house portion size has been one of the big issues for my husband (the other is beer, lol). I've been cooking skinnytaste recipes for the past couple of years yet he wasn't losing any weight. He just joined WW this past January and was shocked when he started paying attention to portion size. His normal portions were two to three times the WW portions. He consistently lost weight during dry January, but now that he's drinking beer it's creeping up again. It is going to be a battle of wills for him because his main hobby is craft beer - making it, drinking it, talking about it. He's even taken classes about it. I get it. Some of the craft beers are really tasty, but probably an issue when trying to lose weight. I like the WW program because it teaches you how to estimate portions and how to include small amounts of food that you love so that you don't feel like you missed out completely.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our house portion size has been one of the big issues for my husband (the other is beer, lol). I've been cooking skinnytaste recipes for the past couple of years yet he wasn't losing any weight. He just joined WW this past January and was shocked when he started paying attention to portion size. His normal portions were two to three times the WW portions. He consistently lost weight during dry January, but now that he's drinking beer it's creeping up again. It is going to be a battle of wills for him because his main hobby is craft beer - making it, drinking it, talking about it. He's even taken classes about it. I get it. Some of the craft beers are really tasty, but probably an issue when trying to lose weight. I like the WW program because it teaches you how to estimate portions and how to include small amounts of food that you love so that you don't feel like you missed out completely.

Beer is one of my hobbies too. Unfortunately craft beer is very high in calories. Luckily I have never been a beer every day kind of guy. It has always been more of a social thing, I can enjoy a beer by myself but rarely do because of the weight issue. When I have that toggle off and try and lose weight I only drink beer in social settings. I allow myself a cheat day every other week or so and use the beer tastings, brew club meeting, or visit from the kids as that cheat day. Adding as much as 800 calories (about 2 pints of a big IPA) makes it impossible to get enough food to feel satisfied for the day.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’m in also.

Last year I was assigned 3 big projects in addition to my regular job assignments and after a year of working 60 hour weeks I gained a ton of weight.
I have started back to working out and I want to start walking again.

I’ve been eating healthy the last two months

timetofly

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me and my wife, we are trying to exercise more. We started using a Peloton bike in December and are enjoying it. I was plesently surprised to find two Peloton bikes at the Hilton Bonnet Creek in FL. It was nice to keep up the routine while traveling. If anyone is interested in a Peloton bike or treadmill, here's my referral code < J554MN > that will give you $100 off.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else want to join the journey?
Yes, I need to lose 10 pounds. I slowly added up the 10 pounds over about 6 months, and haven't had the discipline to part ways with it. I was starting to lose and then started eating junk again. I like to blame my crazy schedule, but if I took the time to shop and meal plan and pack my food for the day, I would be able to keep my calorie count down.
I avoid junk food, snacks and desserts but still gain weight
My problem is I like to eat. Gotta get out and exercise
I am considered very active by others. Never been an athlete, but walk for about an hour per day and do some type of exercise at least 4 times/week. It doesn't keep me from gaining weight. It's still back to the calories in and calories out. I think the worst is when I come back from a hike and someone offers me a dessert and tells me that I can eat it because I just got back from a hike - and even though I know that isn't true, I go along with it! I know everything that works for me, but I have been lacking the discipline because of having a chaotic schedule.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck on your weigh in today! I rejoined WW last summer at work. No regrets. Biggest win? The comradry. Other than that? well, I haven't given up! Just going a different direction for now.
And, all the best with the stress. Dealing with our loved ones can be a a real juggling act at time :)
You are so right on the comradery. I am new to my community and it gives me a sense of belonging. I never felt that way when I went to WW before

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you everyone for participating. I enjoy reading everyone’s responses. It has helped me lots as I know I am not alone.

I got weighed today at Weight Watchers and was shocked how much water I am holding. The scale went down 6 pounds, so I figure 1-2 pounds fat, 3-4 pounds water.

My goals met this past week, ate fresh foods, no ready made meals, learned to cook a few great tasting dishes, concentrated on the food not the exercise, and didn’t go on the scale, waited for my weekly weighing. What surprised me the most was how much more I enjoyed the meals I cooked versus those ready made products.

This coming week my goals are, use the pedometer to track my movement, participate in one or two community activities as that is finding time for me and keep cooking fresh foods.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
You're supposed to physically stop and ask yourself. You can stop at any point and wait the 15-20 minutes and see if you're still hungry. Its based on mindfulness eating and a theory from Japan called Hari bachi bu (spelling errors are mine)

geekette

Reaction score
I think the worst is when I come back from a hike and someone offers me a dessert and tells me that I can eat it because I just got back from a hike - and even though I know that isn't true, I go along with it! I know everything that works for me, but I have been lacking the discipline because of having a chaotic schedule.
OOOF. Beware of justifications from others. It's not their body, not their mission, not their after effects. It doesn't take much arm-twisting to get me to try that cheesecake or whatever.

Whenever I am trying to NOT do something, I stay the heck away from those that can too easily compromise me or are generally unsupportive. Stick with people that aren't going to tempt you.

Now, if you want dessert after a hike, pre-determine what that's going to be so you have already calculated the treat in to the day. For me, I just try to change my view on what "dessert" is. Mmm, fruit!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our house portion size has been one of the big issues for my husband (the other is beer, lol). I've been cooking skinnytaste recipes for the past couple of years yet he wasn't losing any weight. He just joined WW this past January and was shocked when he started paying attention to portion size. His normal portions were two to three times the WW portions. He consistently lost weight during dry January, but now that he's drinking beer it's creeping up again.
Are you sure we aren't secretly married? My wife could have written this- except the Weight Watchers part.! Good luck! :)

Jim