• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Low-carb works for a lot of people, especially men. Rick lost so much weight on low-carb a few years ago, about six years back, I think, that he lost his wedding ring. It just fell off of his finger while he was working in our huge yard. We never found it and had to replace the darned thing. He is so skinny. I am so jealous.

When I posted in our Strive4Health FB group that I have a lot of loose skin, people told me to wear it as a badge of honor. I won't be too graphic here, but my arms are just one of the issues I have. They are pretty saggy. I don't feel comfortable wearing short sleeves, unless they go almost to the elbow.

I don't mind a lot because health is more important in the long run. If insurance would take care of a few places, like my tummy and buttocks, I would be on the list, but we have Kaiser and they do not do tummy tucks and the like. One lady in the group said she had work done. I am sure it was at her expense.

What has surprised me most about my weight loss, and being so close to goal, is that my wrists and fingers are still much bigger than average. Our daughter wears a size 4 ring, and I think mine are size 8 or 9. I take after my grandma and mom, and my sisters are the same. My sister-in-law at 280 pounds (she is now 190 and gaining weight after gastric bypass a few years ago) has always had much smaller wrists and fingers than me. My heaviest was 234. My wrists never got smaller. The bracelets my MIL had (she died recently) do not fit me at all. They are way too small. She was a slight lady.

It was eye opening because just this morning I thought back on watches that I purchased over the years, I realized I always bought the bigger band for my Mickey watches, or I had to buy a man's watch. I would pay extra for the bigger band, and so my expectations of small wrists were rather comical. If my wrists at 35 at135 pounds were big, why would they be smaller now at 65 and heavier than I was back then? Same with my fingers. My arthritis has made my fingers bigger. And my hands look like my grandma's at 90, so that's just not good. Wrinkly, dry looking hands.
I find using a good moisturizer on the wrinkly areas has helped tremendously. Where there wasn’t extra skin the moisturizer did the job.

Excess skin is another problem. If not too much exercising to promote muscle buildup might help by filling in the area. So far I have a bit of wrinkly on my under chin. If I keep my head tall it is not noticeable. I just got a yoga dvd especially for my problem area. Will try that too.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I find using a good moisturizer on the wrinkly areas has helped tremendously. Where there wasn’t extra skin the moisturizer did the job.

Excess skin is another problem. If not too much exercising to promote muscle buildup might help by filling in the area. So far I have a bit of wrinkly on my under chin. If I keep my head tall it is not noticeable. I just got a yoga dvd especially for my problem area. Will try that too.
I use L'occitane night moisturizer. I may switch to Estee Lauder, if they have some free things to go with it. Estee Lauder has a serum that I used to buy, but I never noticed a difference and thought it was a waste of money. It's in eye dropper bottles. I have a friend who swears by it. I haven't used it in 30 years.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What has surprised me most about my weight loss, and being so close to goal, is that my wrists and fingers are still much bigger than average. Our daughter wears a size 4 ring, and I think mine are size 8 or 9. I take after my grandma and mom, and my sisters are the same. My sister-in-law at 280 pounds (she is now 190 and gaining weight after gastric bypass a few years ago) has always had much smaller wrists and fingers than me. My heaviest was 234. My wrists never got smaller. The bracelets my MIL had (she died recently) do not fit me at all. They are way too small. She was a slight lady.

My fingers seemed to have stayed the same when I was up to 210 pounds, or down to 135 pounds. At least my wedding ring has always fit. However when I was at my heaviest I was afraid that I was going to have to have my ring cut off and that was one of the things that motivated me to lose weight.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think it is really sad when women judge other women for their cosmetic choices. Please try to be civil.....

Alleluia! Very sad indeed.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
[Never mind]

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Haven’t checked in for a while. @rickandcindy23 ... so sorry about Rick’s stepmother. And what a horrid trip home that must have been. Sounds like she was a good woman. I still miss my mother in law.

Happy to report I’m still at my lowest weight in a long time. Now that we’ve sold our home and am living in DDs place temporarily, I am soooo relaxed and unstressed, have lots of time to take walks and swim. Nearly no snacking. Just too busy...lots of things to go thru and donate or toss....12 carloads of stuff was brought here.

Also finally went to see a new doctor regarding my sleep apnea. I’m glad he agreed to an at home sleep study. Haven’t had a study in years and am not very vigilant about wearing the mask every night. DH tells me I don’t make the noises I used to when I don’t wear it.

Congrats to all making headway. It’s not easy.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How is it going, all of you who are working on health?

Without being too personal and graphic, I had an issue last week that was unexpected. I had to go to the doctor Monday because I was having pain just under my ribcage. It was not what I thought, my gallbladder acting up, it was simple constipation. The extra fiber I am adding to my coffee in the morning (Benefiber) was not enough to keep me cleared out, apparently. I drink a lot of water but added another quart to each day, and I had to take Miralax for 3 days to get things moving. I lost two pounds right after. That is not a true weight loss, admittedly but it did show on the scale. I may have to do that Miralax once in a while. I bought the big-size bottle equivalent at Costco.

I truly have only 4 pounds to go, but I am going to try for another 10. The book says I should be 140-150, so I am trying for 155, my ultimate goal.

I did run out of my favorite bars last week. My order doesn't arrive until Wednesday sometime. I am now out of my cinnamon crunchy O's, too. I guess it's brownies a few times today and tomorrow. Yogurt is also a choice I can make.

I am not sleeping as well as I did in the beginning. I think it's pain from the work we are doing at the townhouse. We are pausing that to clean Rick's stepmom's house of stuff. She had so much. I would like to just get a roll-off and dump it all. But we have to be more methodical. And the dump doesn't need her clothes, if someone can use them. All size small, so I cannot wear them.

Sorry for the loss of your good friend.

Your sleep may be troubled by the physical pain but also the heartbreak. The extra work of cleaning out the townhouse could be distracting you from enough water. I would suspect the work is causing you to sweat more and get dehydrated. More water. I find taking my vitamin c and magnesium together at bedtime is much easier on the system than any laxative. If I've been dehydrated for a couple days a double dose is best to get back on track.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is it going, all of you who are working on health?

My nurse friend helped me get comfortable with my blood testing kit. I’ve had it since winter but wanted someone who knew what to do walk me through it the first time.

I’ve found my resting number. Then I’ve checked the numbers on meals I suspected might spike my insulin. Good so far.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sorry for the loss of your good friend.

Your sleep may be troubled by the physical pain but also the heartbreak. The extra work of cleaning out the townhouse could be distracting you from enough water. I would suspect the work is causing you to sweat more and get dehydrated. More water. I find taking my vitamin c and magnesium together at bedtime is much easier on the system than any laxative. If I've been dehydrated for a couple days a double dose is best to get back on track.
Magnesium. I forgot about that as a natural remedy. I am going to take some for the next three nights.

Could be dehydration. I started keeping track of my water a little better.

I found out that Optavia has discontinued the chocolate chip pancakes. They already discontinued the chocolate cherry shake, my favorite, and the orange shake, another favorite. I can see my transition being a little easier with this pancake recipe:

• 2 eggs
  • 2 scoop whey protein powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 6 tbsp water or almond milk
  • cooking spray, butter, or coconut oil to grease pan
I would also use vanilla and cinnamon to give them some flavor. This makes six servings, 58 calories per serving. I might find another recipe with some almond flour, since I have it in the cupboard, anyway.

I eat a pancake every morning and a brownie before bed each night, those are two of my favorite fuelings. I think a lot of these fuelings can be replicated with a little bit of work. Also, page 278 of the book has great fueling ideas for maintenance. What I needed was to lose the weight quickly and without a lot of effort. I could lose weight with WW, if I would give it a good try, but it requires a lot of planning and cooking. I needed something very easy, and this was it. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a quick weight loss and knows that it's going to be work to maintain it. I am ready to put in that effort.

I don't think I will be a coach, however, because I see me getting off of the foods pretty soon. I need a protein brownie recipe. You know it's possible because Optavia's is made with protein powder. I just have to limit my eating to a small dab.

Can anyone recommend a good whey protein powder for shakes and pancakes, and maybe brownies? I see a few brands at Costco, never bought any of them.

Has anyone tried the Pure Protein shakes? They have more calories than the fueling shakes. Trying to replace the fuelings with something low-calorie.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the pure protein shakes....many others upset my stomach but the pure protein do not

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I followed the metabolic miracle and lost 35 lbs. It is basically NO Carbs. As soon as I stopped the weight came right back. I love carbs...so doing that long term is just not feasible to me...I want to enjoy food.

I am now trying another program which limits carbs to 60 g per day and only certain things have to be counted...fruit, bread, pasta. I try to stick to 20 g per meal and with this program if you eat carbs you eat good fats with it. I do like the ideas of the fuelings because that is how I prefer to eat so I printed out Cindy's list and bought Dr. Anderson's book for my kindle and will read it on vacation next week. I am more concerned about getting my blood sugar under control so I don't have to make the jump to insulin. I've lost 9 lbs and my morning blood sugar is down 30 to 50 pts ... drop has been very slowly but that's ok....hopefully I will be able to maintain the loss.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
You can buy very similar foods to Optavia through Nutmeg State Nutrition. I have been purchasing food through Nutmeg State for years. I noticed their food is about half the price of Optavia. For example, their chocolate chip pancakes are $12.89. Nutmeg State offers 20% or more off and free shipping on every order if you buy a certain amount. I will consider using their fuelings instead of Optavia over the longer term. The calorie counts are different for some of their products so while you are doing Optavia, not all of their products can be used.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few years ago I followed the metabolic miracle and lost 35 lbs. It is basically NO Carbs. As soon as I stopped the weight came right back. I love carbs...so doing that long term is just not feasible to me...I want to enjoy food.

I am now trying another program which limits carbs to 60 g per day and only certain things have to be counted...fruit, bread, pasta. I try to stick to 20 g per meal and with this program if you eat carbs you eat good fats with it. I do like the ideas of the fuelings because that is how I prefer to eat so I printed out Cindy's list and bought Dr. Anderson's book for my kindle and will read it on vacation next week. I am more concerned about getting my blood sugar under control so I don't have to make the jump to insulin. I've lost 9 lbs and my morning blood sugar is down 30 to 50 pts ... drop has been very slowly but that's ok....hopefully I will be able to maintain the loss.

Just wondering which book by Dr Anderson did you get for your Kindle? I am looking online and only one is available for the Kindle but it is not the Habits of Health or Life Book. I wish all the books were available on the Kindle.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can buy very similar foods to Optavia through Nutmeg State Nutrition. I have been purchasing food through Nutmeg State for years. I noticed their food is about half the price of Optavia. For example, their chocolate chip pancakes are $12.89. Nutmeg State offers 20% or more off and free shipping on every order if you buy a certain amount. I will consider using their fuelings instead of Optavia over the longer term. The calorie counts are different for some of their products so while you are doing Optavia, not all of their products can be used.
That is so great. I will look at that website. I just know I will maintain with the information in the book. I really like the provided food, but I don't like that curry almond coconut bar at all. That is not a favorite. I just got one yesterday.

Another fueling replacement I can do are the Built Bars. They are similar in calorie count. I think it's the ideal replacement for the bars. They are less expensive but not cheap.

You would think Amway or Herbal Life would have a program very similar to this one. I have looked into both and couldn't find a thing. We used to do Amway. I love their products. I am unfamiliar with Herbal Life.

Chelle, the key is definitely small meals, six smaller meals a day, 2-3 hours between each one, to keep you from any feeling of hunger. By the time you feel a hunger pang, it's too late. That is what I understand from my reading of the book. I have gone 4.5 hours a few times while cleaning at Mom's. I had to start setting alarms to remind me to eat. I did that in the beginning. I lose track of time. Last night Rick said, "How long since your last fueling?" This was at dinner, around 6 PM. I said, I think 1:30. He gave me a look that I cannot deny was judgmental.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is so great. I will look at that website. I just know I will maintain with the information in the book. I really like the provided food, but I don't like that curry almond coconut bar at all. That is not a favorite. I just got one yesterday.

Another fueling replacement I can do are the Built Bars. They are similar in calorie count. I think it's the ideal replacement for the bars. They are less expensive but not cheap.

You would think Amway or Herbal Life would have a program very similar to this one. I have looked into both and couldn't find a thing. We used to do Amway. I love their products. I am unfamiliar with Herbal Life.

Chelle, the key is definitely small meals, six smaller meals a day, 2-3 hours between each one, to keep you from any feeling of hunger. By the time you feel a hunger pang, it's too late. That is what I understand from my reading of the book. I have gone 4.5 hours a few times while cleaning at Mom's. I had to start setting alarms to remind me to eat. I did that in the beginning. I lose track of time. Last night Rick said, "How long since your last fueling?" This was at dinner, around 6 PM. I said, I think 1:30. He gave me a look that I cannot deny was judgmental.

Their pancakes and most of their shakes are 100 calories so those are comparable. They have an orange shake that you might like and they have the chocolate chip pancakes. Their protein bars are higher in calories about 150-160 Cal than Optavia. I love their bars compared to grocery store bars because they are lower in sugar than what you can find at the grocery store. They have some cakes that range from 120-130 calories which is higher than Optavia. This would be okay for the maintenance phase. I have used their shakes, bars, soups, drinks and a few other products. Their soups are very good and low in calories. They have many flavors of shakes and many types of bars. Most of their products are 15 grams of protein so that part is great.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which book by Dr Anderson did you get for your Kindle? I am looking online and only one is available for the Kindle but it is not the Habits of Health or Life Book. I wish all the books were available on the Kindle.

Discover your optimal health

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not read that book. It's probably really good. The Habits of Health book has opened my eyes to a lot of my bad habits. I find myself on my feet more, outside in the sunlight more, and I am walking regularly, but not long distances. I will walk to the park with my granddaughter and not drive her there. She begs me to drive her. I told her she can walk. She is almost six.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Habits. They are so strong.

Today I had good (late) breakfast of a couple scrambled eggs and roasted veggies leftover from last night. My morning begins with collagen in my coffee so breakfast is around 11. At 1:30 I was on my way to run errands with a stop at my doctor's office for melatonin and thyroid (Nature Throid). I got there about 2:30 after a couple calls back and forth because they couldn't find a record of the thyroid I was prescribed in May. I don't do well with conflict and having 2 people in the office say I hadn't been prescribed it was bothersome as I was coming to the limit of breakfast holding me.

On the drive home I passed a Dunkin' Donuts. Just about 3. Then it hit me strong! The craving for a chocolate covered cream filled donut. It was at least 1/2 hour home with highway travel. More stress. I thought my weight was so good this morning that a stop at Tim Horton's for donut and coffee would be fine. The other thought was just get home and make my smoothie. I argued with myself most of the way home until the smoothie side of me won. That meant I wouldn't be stopping at Kroger to pick up script, take back the bottles rattling around in the back of the car or get the couple items on my list. Another day for that.

The smoothie was wonderful. I won that battle.

Tonight I lost the next battle.

Our dear neighbors have 3 boys who they have decided to homeschool. We live very much like a village on our private drive. In each other's yards several times a day. Yesterday the boys made the rounds passing out little white Chinese restaurant type boxes. They said it was cookies they had made (home ec?). DH was away tonight so I had dinner by myself. After I fixed a cup of peppermint tea and looked in that little box. 3 chocolate chip cookies. I could have had one but that's not the way I roll. They weren't even the best cc cookies (although the little boys are adorable). Cookies are an old habit.

It gives me the opportunity to blood test.

I took tomatoes around to neighbors today. One gave me blueberry banana muffins in return. At least it's gluten free flour.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My neighbor is always giving me tempting things to eat. They baked peach cobbler, which is my favorite at this time of year. Palisades Peaches are a big deal in CO.

I didn't eat it, but I kept smelling it. It was still hot from the oven and all bubbly. Rick doesn't even like peaches, so we gave it to my stepdad, who eats with us each night. He said it was good. I told him I don't want to hear about it.

The lady across the street is my coach, and she brings me zucchini from her garden. Much more my style.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My neighbor is always giving me tempting things to eat. They baked peach cobbler, which is my favorite at this time of year. Palisades Peaches are a big deal in CO.

I didn't eat it, but I kept smelling it. It was still hot from the oven and all bubbly. Rick doesn't even like peaches, so we gave it to my stepdad, who eats with us each night. He said it was good. I told him I don't want to hear about it.

The lady across the street is my coach, and she brings me zucchini from her garden. Much more my style.
Your neighborhood sounds like a slice of heaven.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I love apple cobbler. We found a low calorie way to mimic it. We bake apples with oatmeal. It is delicious. Maybe that will work with peaches.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love apple cobbler. We found a low calorie way to mimic it. We bake apples with oatmeal. It is delicious. Maybe that will work with peaches.
Oh, yes, maybe, but I cannot have peaches until maintenance.

Something my coach's coach (Amber and Panina knows her) is worried about is my attachment to artificial sweetener, specifically saccharine. I use it in my coffee in the AM. I guess that is a no-no. I cannot do coffee or tea without it, but I don't drink diet soda at all. I can control it, when I add it myself.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, yes, maybe, but I cannot have peaches until maintenance.

Something my coach's coach (Amber and Panina knows her) is worried about is my attachment to artificial sweetener, specifically saccharine. I use it in my coffee in the AM. I guess that is a no-no. I cannot do coffee or tea without it, but I don't drink diet soda at all. I can control it, when I add it myself.

My coach wanted me to talk to her coach. Her coach introduced herself as my coach’s business coach. I had a bad internet connection that day so we have to end the call before I could ask her any questions. Since then, I have been wondering my my coach would want me to talk to her coach. Do you know why? It felt a bit like an MLM scheme but maybe there is a legitimate reason?

On the issue of artificial sweetener, if you are losing weight and not going overboard with it, then it would seem okay to me. When we are eating sugar free products that are allowed on Optavia, don’t those have artificial sweeteners? Does Optavia prefer if we use real sugar instead of artificial sweeteners? Their products all have some sugar.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My coach wanted me to talk to her coach. Her coach introduced herself as my coach’s business coach. I had a bad internet connection that day so we have to end the call before I could ask her any questions. Since then, I have been wondering my my coach would want me to talk to her coach. Do you know why? It felt a bit like an MLM scheme but maybe there is a legitimate reason?

On the issue of artificial sweetener, if you are losing weight and not going overboard with it, then it would seem okay to me. When we are eating sugar free products that are allowed on Optavia, don’t those have artificial sweeteners? Does Optavia prefer if we use real sugar instead of artificial sweeteners? Their products all have some sugar.
Yes, the foods do have artificial sweetener, which my coach Rachael pointed out to me because Amber chastized me pretty good over saccharine.

It is a multi-level marketing program. At least I suspect so. I haven't really talked to Rachael much about it. I am looking to maintain after one more order early next month, then I am done. I cannot keep buying the food, it's too much money, and I am looking at the Nutmeg Nutrition website for alternatives. I also saw Keto cereal to use instead of the Crunchy O's on Facebook.

I really want to try Built Bars, too. I hear advertisements for them, and people on our FB group keep talking about them. The posts get taken down because the coaches don't make money on those. Coaches deserve a little income for what they do. I have no idea how they make money, exactly.

I want to take Optavia food to Disney World in October because I know it will keep me honest. Then I have to start maintenance, and I need to be on it long enough for comfort for our December trip. I cannot gain the weight back.

I keep looking at recipes for replacement brownies that I can bake without guilt. I love those Optavia brownies, even though they are not very filling. That just shows me how I would overeat on sweets, if I didn't have the portion control of the products. Hmmm.