• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Leaving Ocean Pointe tomorrow, tip for housekeeping?

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradisus Palma Real and Club Solaris Los Cabos
We’re concluding our week. We knew we wouldn’t have housekeeping while we were here. Have kept the villa neat, but what do you all leave for a tip?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
We’re concluding our week. We knew we wouldn’t have housekeeping while we were here. Have kept the villa neat, but what do you all leave for a tip?

No housekeeping, no tip. Even in the US. My opinion, yours may differ.

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s easy. Thank you exhibit!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would not leave a tip either. I tip for good service- no service no tip.

PsuFrh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Canyon Villas
They did prep the unit for you, so I would say a small gratuity is warranted. Was it the full 2 bedroom unit, just the lock off or just the 1 bedroom? Depending on what size unit you occupied that they readied for you, then maybe $5 to $10 or so. Just my opinion.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't understand how one can leave a villa messy. I guess it happens, but we like to take our clothes and stuff with us. It isn't like I am going to tear the mattress off the bed or remove the sofa cushions. I do load and *usually remember* to start the dishwasher.

Realize any tip you give will only go to the person who cleans your unit after you depart. I don't think they pool tips. So the person that cleaned it before you won't get anything. Even if you got a mid week tidy, it would likely be a different person doing the end of week cleaning.

BTW, there is never mid week housekeeping on a timeshare stay at Ocean Pointe or any other mainland domestic USA resorts unless you pay for it. So your situation is no different than any pre-COVID stay.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
They did prep the unit for you, so I would say a small gratuity is warranted. Was it the full 2 bedroom unit, just the lock off or just the 1 bedroom? Depending on what size unit you occupied that they readied for you, then maybe $5 to $10 or so. Just my opinion.
A normal tip for us would be for good housekeeping cleaning for two (2) weeks $10.00 to $20.00 for a full 2 bedrooms villas/ 2baths rooms & full kitchen.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No housekeeping, no tip. Even in the US. My opinion, yours may differ.
Would you have tipped pre-COVID? There is nothing different now than pre-COVID. Timeshares don't usually offer midweek housekeeping. The room was clean before they got there and after they leave.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Would you have tipped pre-COVID? There is nothing different now than pre-COVID. Timeshares don't usually offer midweek housekeeping. The room was clean before they got there and after they leave.

No, if there is no mid-week housekeeping, especially when I leave the room tidy, with no mess. I left a tip in Hawaii pre-Covid when there was a mid-week cleaning.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No, if there is no mid-week housekeeping, especially when I leave the room tidy, with no mess. I left a tip in Hawaii pre-Covid when there was a mid-week cleaning.
So you left the tip on the day mid-week came in to clean? Not at the end of the stay?

Beach57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a one bedroom villa. We’re from New York, where no one seems to want to work, so I guess I was thinking a small thank you was in order, but will probably follow the consensus and not tip. Appreciate the weigh ins.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
So you left the tip on the day mid-week came in to clean? Not at the end of the stay?

Yes.

In the end of stay, in my opinion, a tip is only warranted if I / kids leave an unusually big mess. No tip for regular cleaning between stays. I already paid for that cleaning in my maintenance fees. For example, for WKORVN, 2br, just one cleaning between stays cost me $413.34.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Maybe because my first timeshare was Disney, and they always greeted us with "Welcome Home", I never thought about tipping. No one tips me at home! ;) I didn't think of it as being a hotel stay, and barely get service in a timeshare -- a mid week tidy at most. And now with Covid, the mid week tidy does not exist!

If I was somewhere (worldwide) where there is a huge income disparity (SE Asia, Mexico perhaps?), then I treat that differently, but often it is because the service I do get outside of the US is exceptionally gracious (and noticed) because I have more interactions with the staff. I'm sure it all depends where you stay.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes.

In the end of stay, in my opinion, a tip is only warranted if I / kids leave an unusually big mess. No tip for regular cleaning between stays. I already paid for that cleaning in my maintenance fees. For example, for WKORVN, 2br, just one cleaning between stays cost me $413.34.
Technically you paid for the midweek cleaning in the maintenance fees too.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how one can leave a villa messy. I guess it happens, but we like to take our clothes and stuff with us. It isn't like I am going to tear the mattress off the bed or remove the sofa cushions. I do load and *usually remember* to start the dishwasher.

I think one could do it by leaving messy dirty pots, pans, dishes all over the place. Say you used them all but never washed. To me, that's messy.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Always tip. If I can afford to do these trips I can afford to leave ten or twenty for the minimum wage workers who make it possible for me to have such a nice stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Always tip. If I can afford to do these trips I can afford to leave ten or twenty for the minimum wage workers who make it possible for me to have such a nice stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We as owners already pay for cleaning, a lot. $400+ for one full cleaning (Hawaii example), and one mid-week cleaning (which is not happening during Covid, but we still pay in full). There's a disconnect somewhere between owners paying $400+ for one cleaning, and housekeepers getting paid a minimum wage. In any case, there is no place for tips in this situation, unless there's an extra mess requiring housekeepers go above and beyond - then a tip is appropriate, in my opinion.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
$20 for a 2BR is my normal go to. They way I look at it is that I probably messed up how they need to leave it for the next owner. I also tip housekeepers when they bring me extra stuff, stuff that was supposed to be in the unit, etc. To me that's just common sense. Not tipping is being cheap and selfish to me.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Among the hotel brands isn't it just Marriott that doesn't offer a midweek tidy in normal times?

Sheraton, Westin, Disney definitely do. And every HGVC I've been to has. Not sure about Hyatt.

Many of the independents I've been to do as well. I'd say Marriott is more the anomaly than the rule.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We as owners already pay for cleaning, a lot. $400+ for one full cleaning (Hawaii example), and one mid-week cleaning (which is not happening during Covid, but we still pay in full). There's a disconnect somewhere between owners paying $400+ for one cleaning, and housekeepers getting paid a minimum wage. In any case, there is no place for tips in this situation, unless there's an extra mess requiring housekeepers go above and beyond - then a tip is appropriate, in my opinion.
I am not sure that housekeepers at luxury timeshares are earning minimum wage. In Orlando, Disney's starting pay for housekeeping is $15 an hour (or will be shortly), that also means that many other properties have to pay that or close to it in order to complete.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that housekeepers at luxury timeshares are earning minimum wage. In Orlando, Disney's starting pay for housekeeping is $15 an hour (or will be shortly), that also means that many other properties have to pay that or close to it in order to complete.
And Disney formally considers housekeeping to be a non tipped position. Personally pre Covid I don't tip unless they do something extra. That said, they actually often do so I usually end up tipping. I too have tended to go above the usual and/or be more flexible for tipping during covid as I want those who are actually working to do well, feel appreciated and be glad they are in that position.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The MF goes to corporate and not to staff.

There's a separate line in the maintenance fee bill that says "management fee" - that goes to corporate. No part of the housekeeping expenses paid by owners goes to corporate. The resort belongs to owners, and owners hire and pay for housekeeping via maintenance fees, just like any condo. Housekeepers are not comparable to wait staff at restaurants who rely on tips. We, the owners, are the employers for housekeepers and we pay them a living wage. And, if you ask me, $400+ for one cleaning is not "being cheap" at all.