• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Late cancellation by RCI

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I picked up on this thread in Ask RCI. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12918 As my questions and comments are more about the way things are happening, rather than simply RCI related, I thought it best to open a new thread.

Whilst I have every sympathy with people who have exchanges cancelled at late notice I also have some sympathy with the resorts involved. In the specific cases in the topic referred to they are recovering from storm damage. I suspect they are working flat out to get the accommodation back into usable condition. How far ahead of occupancy should they actually say Yes or No to whether the unit will be available. From the resort viewpoint I don't think a month is unreasonable, but from the occupant viewpoint a month leaves little or no chance to find alternatives.
What is also concerning in this instance is that the resort claim that they haven't cancelled, RCI has. There is also the statement that the exchange fee has been lost. Why does the member lose the fee if RCI has cancelled?
There are a number of issues coming from this so hopefully the OP can keep us advised of progress.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keitht said:
What is also concerning in this instance is that the resort claim that they haven't cancelled, RCI has.

Let's not get all bent out of shape here. Who knows what the truth is. Maybe Management of the Resort cancelled and the person answering the phone didn't know about it.

And as to whether or not a Resort will be open for your stay, don't sweat it. Check with the Resort a week or two before your stay and ask. If it won't be open, find alternative accommodations. If you show up and it isn't open, find alternative accommodations. That is exactly what I am going to do with my Week 1 (Deerfield Beach) and Week 2 (Fort Lauderdale) reservations.

GEORGE

Bootleg

Reaction score
RCI sends its guides an updated list of resort closures every week, based on assurances from the resorts as to their condition. At one point in October, resorts were telling RCI that they were "Up and Running", then called a day later to advise that they had lost power and water, possibly for several days.

RCI has cancelled many confirmations due to the fact that the resorts cannot guarantee availability for those confirmations. The resorts themselves may indicate to random callers that they are OK, but RCI can't take that chance.

As far as the exchange fees are concerned, that is clearly covered in the terms and conditions. When you trade a week, you trade a week. The transaction fee is not recoverable, but your week is always returned.

After the destruction from Hurricanes Ivan, Frances and Charley in 2004, anyone travelling to South Florida during Hurricane season would have to be suffering from brain damage if they didn't get Vacation Insurance.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Bootleg said:
After the destruction from Hurricanes Ivan, Frances and Charley in 2004, anyone travelling to South Florida during Hurricane season would have to be suffering from brain damage if they didn't get Vacation Insurance.

ROTFLMAO :D True, true. :D

Phil

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bootleg said:
RCI sends its guides an updated list of resort closures every week, based on assurances from the resorts as to their condition. At one point in October, resorts were telling RCI that they were "Up and Running", then called a day later to advise that they had lost power and water, possibly for several days.

RCI has cancelled many confirmations due to the fact that the resorts cannot guarantee availability for those confirmations. The resorts themselves may indicate to random callers that they are OK, but RCI can't take that chance.

As far as the exchange fees are concerned, that is clearly covered in the terms and conditions. When you trade a week, you trade a week. The transaction fee is not recoverable, but your week is always returned.

Thanks for the clarification on the possible / probable reasons for different responsed from RCI and the resorts. The question about the exchange fee was purely in a situation where the resort IS up and running but RCI make the decision to cancel. Proving that to be the situation would probably be the biggest difficulty. In that situation I wonder if insurance would pay out.