• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar HOA Meeting

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Hola...I was just politely turned away from the 11 am HOA meeting at Lagunamar. It seems this is a private meeting for the Board of Directors and perhaps other invitees, but not for ordinary owners. We get to attend only the follow-on meeting that starts at noon.

I wonder if there will be anything left for us to do? We shall soon see. Perhaps there will be something exciting, like approving last year's minutes.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Post what you find out....if there even is anything to find out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In my experience, they will not ask for (or desire) any input from owners. This will be a question and answer session only - no voting by owners.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You owners don't get a copy of the agenda and a voting proxy in advance of the Annual Meetings? Being turned away from the BOD's Executive Session that's held just before the open meeting makes sense to me, but not knowing what's on the agenda for the open meeting doesn't.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you are asking if they send an Agenda out to the owners at the resort before the meeting, the answer is no - at least not at the 3 Starwood resorts that I own/owned.

They may hand one out at the door.

Starwood really does not encourage owners to participate in management.

BTW - Your Christmas Ornament Avatar is really bothering me. :rofl:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are asking if they send an Agenda out to the owners at the resort before the meeting, the answer is no - at least not at the 3 Starwood resorts that I own/owned.

They may hand one out at the door.

Starwood really does not encourage owners to participate in management.

No, not at the resort. To owners in advance of the Annual Meeting, with a voting proxy so the quorum for the Annual Meeting can be met and items on the agenda can be resolved.

Marriott doesn't encourage owner participation either, but they're mandated to handle Annual Meetings in that way and we owners are advised appropriately.

BTW - Your Christmas Ornament Avatar is really bothering me. :rofl:

You're Peppermint Patty - I didn't think anything bothered her! :hysterical:

Haven't decided yet what to use next - the RedSox ticked me off again, I hate the Patriots, and Christmas is over. But honestly - what do you have against Whirled Peas?!?!?!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're Peppermint Patty - I didn't think anything bothered her! :hysterical:

Haven't decided yet what to use next - the RedSox ticked me off again, I hate the Patriots, and Christmas is over. But honestly - what do you have against Whirled Peas?!?!?!

It's just my OCD tendencies coming out… :D

How about Valentines Day?

Starwood doesn't require a voting quorum - they have it set up so that if they don't get a voting quorum for the election (and they NEVER do) the sitting BOD has authority to choose the new BOD members.

I don't think there is a voting quorum required on the agenda items - I think the BOD has sole authority on that.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Would be interested to hear what happened at the 12:00 meeting if the OP ended up being able to attend.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's just my OCD tendencies coming out… :D

How about Valentines Day? ...

You are a cruel, cruel woman. With Don still halfway around the world all romance has been repressed here. :D

I'm a fellow OCD-er. Just for you I'll put "new avatar" on this week's To-Do List.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We just took our Christmas decorations down on Saturday.

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
We attended the meeting at 12 yesterday. The room was packed with owners. A light lunch was served on the way in. Everyone was greeted at the door and asked to sign in. Between owners in attendance and proxies, there was no quorum so it was explained that no voting would take place.

We really enjoyed the presentation given by several of the managers. It provided a great overview of 2015 upgrades as well as a maintenance fee breakdown.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Concur

We attended the meeting at 12 yesterday. The room was packed with owners. A light lunch was served on the way in. Everyone was greeted at the door and asked to sign in. Between owners in attendance and proxies, there was no quorum so it was explained that no voting would take place.

We really enjoyed the presentation given by several of the managers. It provided a great overview of 2015 upgrades as well as a maintenance fee breakdown.

I concur. There were on the order of 100 folks in the room, more than I expected. Indeed, the management observed that they will have to find a larger venue next near, perhaps at a hotel. I suspect that will significantly reduce attendance.

The HOA meeting consisted of 3 parts:
1. Introductions of board members and individuals in management
2. A well-done and informative presentation, with slide show (this took us to the 1 hour and 25 minute point)
3. A Q&A session that started off a bit slow and then got somewhat agitated as 2 issues were brought up:
(a) Room assignments...not being able to get these assigned in advance, not being able to get premium units elite members felt entitled to, etc.
(b) Use of towels and personal articles to reserve pool lounges...despite published policy that this was prohibited. I found it rather humorous that one lady complained that she have "reserved" a spot and returned an hour later to find her articles had been removed. She did not seem to realize that she was part of the problem. A valid point was made that management could do more to make folks aware of where they could go to retrieve removed articles. Another point was made (and repeated) that management could do more to police or structure the practices that are actually going on. This discussion was heated at points, and management promised to address the issue, but without any degree of specificity.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
So basically it was the same complaints you would hear at any timeshare meeting ..

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I concur. There were on the order of 100 folks in the room, more than I expected. Indeed, the management observed that they will have to find a larger venue next near, perhaps at a hotel. I suspect that will significantly reduce attendance.

The HOA meeting consisted of 3 parts:
1. Introductions of board members and individuals in management
2. A well-done and informative presentation, with slide show (this took us to the 1 hour and 25 minute point)
3. A Q&A session that started off a bit slow and then got somewhat agitated as 2 issues were brought up:
(a) Room assignments...not being able to get these assigned in advance, not being able to get premium units elite members felt entitled to, etc.
(b) Use of towels and personal articles to reserve pool lounges...despite published policy that this was prohibited. I found it rather humorous that one lady complained that she have "reserved" a spot and returned an hour later to find her articles had been removed. She did not seem to realize that she was part of the problem. A valid point was made that management could do more to make folks aware of where they could go to retrieve removed articles. Another point was made (and repeated) that management could do more to police or structure the practices that are actually going on. This discussion was heated at points, and management promised to address the issue, but without any degree of specificity.

#3 (b) sound like a cruise ship complaint (Cruise Ships Pool Hogs: they will wake early in the morning and leave their personal items around the pool deck lounge chairs; Yes! they are signs posted around the cruise ship pool area; But Cruise Ships Pool Hogs still do not obey the rules). Good luck on this problem.