• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kona what to do....

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Preliminary Itenarery

Hawaii, Itinerary

Wed. 08/20
- Check in to Royal Sea Cliff
- Manta Ray Night glowing @ Sheraton (for free) get there by dusk to the Observation deck.
- Dinner @ Huggo’s @ 75-5828 Kahakai Rd (on beach/romantic)
Thurs. 08/21
- Breakfast @ Tex Drive for Malasadas!!! 45-690 Pakalana Str, Hwy 69
- Shopping Day / Beach day - Kauna ‘oa Beach @ mauna Kea Beach
- Dinner @ Kona Brewing Co (fresh made pizza/beer) @ 75-5629 Kuakini Hwy
Fri. 08/22
- Hawaii Grand Circle Island Adventure (Bus) $77.15 (Valcano House-lunch, Fern Tree Jungle, Thurston Lava Tub, Waimea ranch lands, Kealakeka Bay, Kailua Town, Jagger Museum, waterfalls at Hamakaua Coast)
- Dinner @ Paniolo’s on Rt. 19 (hamburger/Mexican food) OR Michealangelo’s for dinner/dancing and water views – Alli Drive
Sat. 08/23
- Breakfast @ Aki’s Café @ 75-5699 Alii Drive (Macadami net pankates/ on ocean downtown Kona)
- Beach day / picnic lunch at Pu’uhonua o Honaunau for free snorkel/ picnic lunch to see turtles/ Natural lava bench
- Dinner @ Kai (Sheraton Keauhou Resort) (Buffet $45)
Sun. 08/24
- Visit Black Sand Beach
- Dinner @ Tropics @ 75-5852 Alii Drive (Royal Kona Hotel) $19.95 Buffet
Mon. 08/25
- Relax day
Tue. 08/26
- Return Flight (Leave Kona @ 10:50pm – Arrive home -Wed. @ 4:25pm

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I wait to purchase excursions? Or do it online?

I tried to call the reservation desk at the resort but no one answered. I see some places online that guarantee to beat the lowest price, but wonder if I can get a better deal by purchasing when I get there. Especially if I do a tour. However, my DH stated that he really didn't want to do a tour...:( since this is such a short trip. Therefore I may have to just purchase our excursions. (possibly will only take the bus tour for sure).

Is that helicopter tour worth it?

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved the helicopter tour, but we did it on Maui, I think, rather than Kona. My husband was the one really looking forward to it, and I gave him the window seat. Meanwhile, he got scared from the heights and I had such a big long hard grin on my face, my cheeks hurt afterwards!

If you opt out of the bus tour, you can add the free tour of the coffee plantation I recommended above. If you are a coffee drinker it is fascinating. I'm not, but I still found it interesting, the tasting was educational, the mac nuts were the best ever, and the drive too and from and lunch at a local cafe afterwards, was well worth it.

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
- What are a MUST do, since we won't be coming here again soon?
As suggested by others, the biggest MUST do is buy and read The Big Island Revealed. Everybody has different interests. If you want to make the most out of YOUR trip, you need to do the research up front and plan activities of interest to YOU.

That said, on my last trip, I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of activities not really recommended by the book. The star gazing at the Mauna Kea visitor center was staffed by a couple of very enthusiastic volunteers and the view of the sky was amazing. However, the drive back down saddle road in the dark and fog was a little crazy. I also enjoyed the hike from the Mauna Loa weather observatory up to Mauna Loa crater although the rest of my family was less enthusiastic.

Have fun!

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Is that helicopter tour worth it?
We never book a flight that we can't cancel if WE don't like the weather and we check the night before and in the morning...
Hawaii, Itinerary
- Manta Ray Night glowing @ Sheraton (for free) get there by dusk to the Observation deck.
That may be a little early
Hawaii, Itinerary
- Visit Black Sand Beach
Doesn't the Hawaii Grand Circle Island Adventure stop at the "Black Sand Beach"? Unless you mean the Black Sand Beach north of Kona...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
- Dinner @ Kona Brewing Co (fresh made pizza/beer) @ 75-5629

Great itinerary - be sure you check out the daily special at Kona Brewing Co. It's a big slice of pizza and a big salad for around $7 - a really good deal.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
A Free Concert

August 24, 2008
HULIHE'E PALACE MONTHLY SUNDAY CONCERT SERIES AND VILLAGE STROLL - KAILUA-KONA
Free Hawaiian Music Concert featuring the Merrie Monarchs men's glee club and dancing by the halau of Etua Lopez on the Palace's South Lawn at 4 p.m., presented by the Daughters of Hawaii. Bring your own beach mat or chair. AFTER the Concert, stroll thru Kailua Village, enjoy outdoor cafe's and restaurants, local musicians & artists. Alii Drive will be closed to traffic from 3:30-7pm. Special kama'aina pricing at participating restaurants & merchants. Stroll sponsored by the Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce, Destination Kona Coast, Kailua Village Business Improvement District, and Kailua Village Merchants Association. For more info about the Palace concert, email hulihee@ilhawaii.net. For info about the Village Stroll, email info@kona-kohala.com

Enjoy your vacation!

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Hawaii, Itinerary
Mon. 08/25
- Relax day
Tue. 08/26
- Return Flight (Leave Kona @ 10:50pm – Arrive home -Wed. @ 4:25pm

Are you REALLY going to drive all the way up to Honokaa on Tuesday just for greasy, fattening donuts? That's a LONG way to go for hundreds of calories. How about combining this with a trip down Waipio Valley? We took a van trip thru the valley but you can also take a horse drawn wagon. That would be a good last day. :) I've had the malasadas and they are good but NOT worth a special trip. Go down into the Waipio Valley.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
August 24, 2008
HULIHE'E PALACE MONTHLY SUNDAY CONCERT SERIES AND VILLAGE STROLL - KAILUA-KONA

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks Lynne for the tip! I booked our excursions early and good thing I did, they don't offer them on the weekend :eek: So I had to move around some items on my plans and this fits right in. Thanks so much as I could have missed this free opportunity.

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure to post a review on the Royal Sea Cliff when you return! I'm still trying to decide whether to stay there or at Kona Hawaiian Village for our trip next April. I've stayed at KHV before and loved the old Hawaiian theme of the place, but also would like to have an oceanside pool to hangout like the one at RSC.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Make sure to post a review on the Royal Sea Cliff when you return! I'm still trying to decide whether to stay there or at Kona Hawaiian Village for our trip next April. I've stayed at KHV before and loved the old Hawaiian theme of the place, but also would like to have an oceanside pool to hangout like the one at RSC.

I've stayed at both and like each for different reasons.

If you really want an oceanside pool, I think you'll be disappointed in the pools (there are two small ones) at Royal Sea Cliff. First, they aren't really oceanside and second, as I recall the saltwater pool was largely in the shade in the mid to late afternoon. The pools at KHV are much nicer!!

As far as the rooms and space, the 2BR unit we had at RSC was larger, much more spacious, than the KHV 2BR unit we were in. I also didn't care for the bath set up in the master br in KHV, whereas the master "suite" at RSC was huge with a truly separate (also huge) bathroom. In fact, in our unit, there was a double shower (two shower heads on opposite walls of the shower/tub) jacuzzi tub.

You can't beat the closer walking location of KHV however, if you want to walk down into the village of Kaulia Kona.

In any event, it's Hawaii. It probably won't suck either place you choose to stay!

ADDED: Here is the link to my IgoUgo review on Royal Sea Cliff: http://www.igougo.com/journal-j49633-Kona-My_Return_to_Kona.html#1297757

Last edited: