• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kona what to do....

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am so late planning out a sketchy itinerary for this trip I need help. We love to travel and be active while doing so, and my DH is a meat and potatoes kinda guy. We don't really want to snorkel, kayak, a luau (we do that all the time when we travel and this is our 3rd time to Hawaii) We are staying at the Wyndam Royal Sea Cliff, and I need some guidance on the following...

- Where to eat?
- What are a MUST do, since we won't be coming here again soon?
- What are somethings we can do for free?
- What are somethings we may want to pay for a tour off.
- What are some romantic things we can do, since we don't have the kids with us?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
- Where to eat?
Huggo's
Four Seasons (haven't eaten there yet, but will on our next trip)
Bamboo (in Hawi)
Cafe Pesto

- What are a MUST do, since we won't be coming here again soon?
Volcano National Park

- What are somethings we can do for free?
Beach
Walk around town
Drive around the island (well, the gas will cost)

- What are somethings we may want to pay for a tour off.
Our favorite is the snorkle cruise with Fair Wind, but you already said you don't want to snorkel

- What are some romantic things we can do, since we don't have the kids with us?
We only go with our kids so can't help. But to me, the "best" thing is just to have drinks somewhere with a gorgeous view. That could be on your lanai, or at one of the many bars and restaurants that offer this.

A site I like to get info on Kona and the Big Island is http://www.konaweb.com. They have restaurant reviews there among all of the other information provided.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I have written extensive travel journals on the Big Island, with detailed information on dining and tours. The link in my sig line with get you to the index of the journals within which you'll find reviews of individual restaurants, activities, etc.

It was a romantic booze cruise, that was fun w/o kids:
p332486-Hawaii_(Big_Island)_HI-David_and_Von_on_the_Booze_Cruise.jpg

As for something free, there are wonderful sunsets at the Old Kona Airport Beach State Park:
p332509-Hawaii_(Big_Island)_HI-Sun_Setting.JPG

Last edited:

Jim Bryan

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It should be quiet where you're going.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kona Coffee Tour

We enjoyed our tour of Bay View Farms and learned a lot about Kona coffee. Real Kona coffee makes a much better souvenir for those you buy gifts for than a Hawaiian shirt or mumu. :) Plus, they have the worlds best Macadamia Nuts, dry roasted and unsalted, so they are excellent to use in recipes. They don't even compare with commercial mac nuts, like those from Mauna Lau, which are puny and way too salty.

The tour is free, but of course, it ends up at their tasting room and company store. Excellent products, well worth it. And the views on the drive to and from were breathtaking.

Last edited:

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like fishing, it is supposed to be one of the best deep sea fishing spots in the world off of Kona......especially for marlin. The reason is that the continental shelf (???I think that's right???) drops off about 1 mile offshore so you don't need to go far to reach "Deep Sea Fishing". When you're on land, look out and you can see the boats offshore.

azsunluvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
During your drive around the island (because that's a given), be sure to stop at Tex Drive-In in Honokaa for hot malasadas!

Have a nice buffet dinner at Kai at the Sheraton Keauhou. The views and grounds at the hotel are quite romantic, and you might even see a wedding in progress.

Like TimeShare Von, I also have Hawaii journals on igougo.com and there are plenty of other journals there to read. I'm sure you'll find that there's more than you can possibly do in the time you'll be there. Have fun! Kona is a wonderful place.

KevinRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
See the Manta Rays!

I know you said you didn't want to snorkel, so I am assuming that you don't dive either... but if you would do a tour out to snorkel with the Manta Rays (at night) it is NOT your typical snorkel trip, I think it is WELL worthwhile... incredible in fact... It was the highlight of our trip.

2844367590048242769LWMqYH

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the Manta Rays too, but I stayed dry when I saw them. There is an observation deck at the Sheraton where you can watch the Manta Rays. They turn on a bright light underwater, which attracts plankton, which in turn, attracts the rays.

Walk through the bar and get to the observation area on the ocean side. There will be other people there, I guarantee it.

Best suggestion though, is to get Big Island Revealed. If you don't bring it with you, you can find lots of places selling it there. The book has so many great ideas. You'll think it's well worth the money!

Sue

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I LOVE Kona - we've switched our trip next year from SW Florida back to Kona. We took the tour at the Kona Coast, definitely was worth it as we got discounts on helicopter tours, booze cruise - Body Glove was great fun.

I really enjoyed the Place of Refuge south of Kona. I'm kind of a history buff and although it's not exciting, it's kind of interesting. On the way we toured a coffee plantation and learned a lot about Kona coffee. If the lava is flowing where you can hike out to see it, to me that's an absolute must. It is thrilling to see new earth being created!!! We did a helicopter tour this time and that was very cool.

Not a night life place at all, which suits us fine, we're not really the party types - except for on the booze cruise!!

And yeah, definitely get the Big Island Revealed book and read it well, it's pretty much an essential.

Have a great time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Manta Ray Snorkel trip is amazing, but you said you are on a budget and it's pricey. A good second choice is seeing the Manta Rays for free at the Sheraton. You need to arrive about dusk, then park in the parking lot and follow the sidewalk around the hotel on the right - staying close to the hotel. Eventually you will come to some steps that take you right up to the observation platform without having to walk through the hotel. We could see several huge manta rays feeding on the plankton attracted by the light - it was great! (And FREE!)

We went on a great booze cruise out of Kona as well. Great appetizers, and generous, all you could drink, live music and hula. It was so much fun!

If you go to the Place of Refuge (and you should) you really have to snorkel there, even if you don't snorkel any where else. Right in the next little bay there is a natural lava bench called Two Step and that little bay has the best snorkeling and turtles I've ever seen and we snorkel a lot! Take a picnic lunch and go early - plan to make a day of it. Park in the lot for the Place of Refuge (it's a National Park so there's an entry fee.) We parked right by the ranger shack so that we didn't have to worry about the stuff in our car while we snorkeled - well worth the $5 park admission fee. Then walk back out the short driveway to the road, turn left and take the next driveway back toward the ocean. You will see people out on the lava bench kind of lined up to get in the water at Two Step - a natural step set into the lava bench that make it easy to get in the water. The snorkeling there is awesome and the place is crawling with turtles. After you snorkel, go back to your car and drive to the opposite end of the parking lot and then take the dirt road that leads off the left. It will take you to a beautiful picnic area right on the ocean with picnic tables and restrooms. If it's still pretty early, tour the Place of Refuge, and then come back and eat your lunch. If not, have lunch and then tour the park. We went back 3 times in 2 weeks we enjoyed it so much - and if you keep your receipt the admission is good for 7 days.

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, Place of Refuge is great and the snorkeling was fantastic.

Sue

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Here's another vote for snorkeling at Two Step. As many times as we've been to the Big Island, last September was our first time to snorkel there . . . and Denise is right . . . it's a great place that is very easy snorkeling with wonderful sights (fish, turtles and pretty coral).

p332518-Hawaii_(Big_Island)_HI-Entering_at_Two_Step.jpg

This journal includes snorkeling at Two Step: http://www.igougo.com/journal-j6858...To_Do_-_The_Big_Island_of_Hawaii.html#1339982 .

Last edited:

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say another "must do" is driving Route 19 on the Hamakua Coast. Include the 4 mi. scenic route, visit the Botanical Gardens (not free but not expensive) and visit Laupahoehoe Point park -- perfect place for a picnic.

I've always wanted to take one of the tours down into the Waipio Valley, but haven't got around to it yet ;-)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would say another "must do" is driving Route 19 on the Hamakua Coast. Include the 4 mi. scenic route, visit the Botanical Gardens (not free but not expensive) and visit Laupahoehoe Point park -- perfect place for a picnic.

I've always wanted to take one of the tours down into the Waipio Valley, but haven't got around to it yet ;-)

I forgot about the Botanical Gardens and that 4 mile drive - another must-do!

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also on your drive around the island there is this awesome place for banana bread. We absolutely love it. I'll have to look up the info/address.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
During that must-do drive around the island, while down near South Point, and after you stop at the Punaluu Bake Shop in Naalehu for the best Hawaiian baked goods on the planet, be sure to stop by the black sand beach at Punaluu. While there, watch for sea turtles in the tidepools and sunning on the beach. They're awesome!

Dave

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Ok, I am so late planning out a sketchy itinerary for this trip I need help. We love to travel and be active while doing so, and my DH is a meat and potatoes kinda guy. We don't really want to snorkel, kayak, a luau (we do that all the time when we travel and this is our 3rd time to Hawaii) We are staying at the Wyndam Royal Sea Cliff, and I need some guidance on the following...

- Where to eat?

Check www.konaweb.com and www.tripadvisor.com for rest. reviews. I'm skipping Huggos after reading some of the reviews.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much!!!

Keep it coming...I talked DH into snorkeling, and will definately go to Tex ... I love you all...for being so helpful. Thanks!!!

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only been to Kona once. but we are going next year. I loved the Big Island and after I retire I hope to buy there.

We did the Place of Rufuge and Black Sands Beach and of course the Volcano.

I am into local wines (and at home not so local) I love the Volcanic Wines and the winery is in a little town by the Volcano. I was in that town and didnt know it. So that will be a must for me.

Hawaiibarb

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple more ideas

If you like to hike, the Hawaii Forest and Trails Organization leads wonderful hikes into areas you can't get into otherwise. Not free, but they are very well done! I think you probably can find them on the web.....there hikes do fill up. Their office is right near the airport.

Check out the farmer's markets, too. The biggest is in Hilo. I know they have it on Saturday; I'm not sure about other days. But there are smaller ones....we went to one in Waimea where we got some nice lavendar products for gifts, and the one in Kona is next to the Catholic Church, about four days a week. Good place to get produce, Kona coffee at a little better price...fun to wander around.

I love the Big Island, and agree with all the other suggestions, too!

have fun!

Barb

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
If you like to hike, the Hawaii Forest and Trails Organization leads wonderful hikes into areas you can't get into otherwise. Not free, but they are very well done! I think you probably can find them on the web.....there hikes do fill up. Their office is right near the airport.

Check out the farmer's markets, too. The biggest is in Hilo. I know they have it on Saturday; I'm not sure about other days. But there are smaller ones....we went to one in Waimea where we got some nice lavendar products for gifts, and the one in Kona is next to the Catholic Church, about four days a week. Good place to get produce, Kona coffee at a little better price...fun to wander around.

I love the Big Island, and agree with all the other suggestions, too!

have fun!

Barb

Hilo Farmer's Market is on Saturdays and Wednesdays. You can combine it with a trip to Akaka Falls (easy trail walk - free) and the Botanical Garden (bring bug spray or wipes).

Waimea Farmer's Market is only on Saturdays.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
I agree, Place of Refuge is great and the snorkeling was fantastic.

Sue
Another vote for 2-Step
Just north of the Energy park there is a small unknown historical area that was a nice place to visit.

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
Our favorite place to eat when we arrive on The Big Island is Huggos. We often go there for a fish burger while we are waiting to check-in at Kona Coast. In Kona town, we like the Kona Inn and the Kona Canoe Club, owned by the Wind & Sea restaurant chain. All of these restaurants have ocean views. Now for other eateries...We found a new restaurant during our July vacation: Cronies Bar & Grill in Hilo. For special occasions, it's Roy's for me located in Waikoloa Village in the Kings Shopping Center. For less expensive lunches before or after swimming in the Waikoloa area, there is a food court in the new Queen's Shopping Center. We have also been to the Bamboo in Hawi (pronounced Havi).

Thanks for the tip about the Manta Rays at the Sheridan. That will be added to our "must do" list next July. We love driving up Mauna Kea to star gaze. Volunteers bring out telescopes at the visitor's center. It is customary to make a small donation. We paid big bucks our first time for the Mauna Kea tour. Since that time, we have driven Saddle Road many times and taken the road at mile marker 29 up to the observation level, which is awesome (as long as there is not a full moon) we made that mistake once. The air is thin on Mauna Kea, which is the tallest mountain in the world, and it is cold--bring shoes and socks, long pants and a jacket or sweatshirt! I agree with the suggestion to purchase Hawaii Revealed books for each Hawaiian island you plan to visit. Not only do these books provide a wealth of information, they are also alot of fun to read! :wave: