• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Knowledge: getting the exchange you want without having the "exchange power"

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The sightings board can be of great use to all of us, if we use it to our advantage. I am lucky enough to have a really great trader that will pull about anything in the system. I found the exchange I was looking for with my powerful trader and asked for RCI to please switch the trade to my other week, a lesser week that only sees about 2/3 of the inventory my supertrader pulls. Well, it was easy to do, and he was very happy to accommodate.

You can use the sightings board to do the same. The more sightings we post, the more we help one another get the exchanges we want. If you cannot see it, you don't know it's there, but if you know someone else pulled it, maybe you can get the right guide to help. :)

So I am, once again, encouraging all of you to post sightings, and thanks to all of you who have been posting sightings, too. If you haven't paid for a TUG membership, you might consider it, because this is a great benefit to all of those who would like to know what is out there and how their week compares.

By the way, if your resort is pulling around 160,000 resorts, you have a supertrader and can see all or most anything out there. If you have 2/3 of that (around 110,000 weeks available), you have a mediocre trader, and this is the group of people who can really benefit from the sightings board because RCI can and will help, if you get the right person.

So let's post more sightings, everyone! I am on vacation at Marriott Grande Vista and won't be doing much, but I will still work on it from here. :D

davhu1

Reaction score
I am glad that RCI did that for you. I tried that once with II and they would not do it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am glad that RCI did that for you. I tried that once with II and they would not do it.

I have also found II to be much less accommodating as well. :( RCI is pretty good at listening to you, if you give them a chance. But it still takes a guide who is willing to help. Perhaps others could share a name or two at RCI that they use?

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do try that tactic with RCI, but VERY SELDOM get a guide willing to do that. I've tried probably 10 times in the last 6 months, and succeeded only one time..........:(

cancun dish

TUG Member
Reaction score
quick comment

My 09 deposit shows 160,000 deposits but my 08 deposit shows about 110,000 some of that difference is due to not being able to see late 10 inventory as my banking expires in june 10 and my 09 deposit can look at the full window.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do try that tactic with RCI, but VERY SELDOM get a guide willing to do that. I've tried probably 10 times in the last 6 months, and succeeded only one time..........:(

I found that being as sweet as sugar has helped me with RCI. If the first guide doesn't help, I can usually get a second guide to help me. I think they keep track of calls, and that could work against you in trying more than twice.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
quick comment

My 09 deposit shows 160,000 deposits but my 08 deposit shows about 110,000 some of that difference is due to not being able to see late 10 inventory as my banking expires in june 10 and my 09 deposit can look at the full window.

Yes, that is also true of one of my weeks that is expiring ahead of the rest. You are correct that the numbers are not a true indicator of exchange power with weeks expiring sooner. I hadn't thought of that before I posted and am happy that you pointed it out.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
quick comment

Ah, thanks for that. I have an '08 and 09 summer week, same month, same resort banked and I couldn't figure out why the '08 week showed fewer weeks available.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not very familiar with exchanging with II and never seem to have luck.
I have had an on going exchange search since March 2008 for a Royal resort in Cancun, using a deposited Royal for the exchange.
When I go in to see what is available, it always says nothing is available. But I can not see anything else either.
HOW OR WHERE do I look?
any help appreciated.:crash:

lawren2

Reaction score
I found the exchange I was looking for with my powerful trader and asked for RCI to please switch the trade to my other week, a lesser week that only sees about 2/3 of the inventory my supertrader pulls. Well, it was easy to do, and he was very happy to accommodate.

You can use the sightings board to do the same. The more sightings we post, the more we help one another get the exchanges we want. If you cannot see it, you don't know it's there, but if you know someone else pulled it, maybe you can get the right guide to help. :)

That is precisely the reason why bait-and-switch tactics should NOT be discussed on open boards where anyone and everyone whether they are registered, guest or member can see these discussions.

JMHO

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
OH PLEASE,,,, I am not trying to do a bait and switch!!! I just can't find out how to SEE THE list that is available. It ALWAYS says : NOTHING IS AVAILABLE. I thought this board was to learn from.

lawren2

Reaction score
OH PLEASE,,,, I am not trying to do a bait and switch!!! I just can't find out how to SEE THE list that is available. It ALWAYS says : NOTHING IS AVAILABLE. I thought this board was to learn from.

and this thread is discussing RCI trades not Interval International.

However I AM just a guest here. My opinion and some real money will get you on the subway in NYC. :wink:

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've infrequently been surprised when, calling for one thing, I was offered another that I was not able to obtain for myself online. I've more often encountered situations when the alternatives I've had by phone were exactly those available on line. So, while it never hurts to ask, be prepared for the answer to be "no", and decide in advance whether you'd prefer to let the week go, or use a stronger trader to obtain it.

I also get the sense that it is one thing if you have the week on hold with another unit, and quite another if you "heard the week was available."

It is also worth remembering that we should assume that folks at the various exchange companies and developers read our discussions here---and so there may be some details that we may wish to keep to ourselves.

One thing is for certain. When small "extras" like this are discovered and spread widely to many people, it is only that much faster that someone else takes notice of it, and puts an end to it. Many examples of this phenomenon exist, both in timeshare (Black Sunday) and travel generally (the *57/*67 National Codes).

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not realize this was only about RCI exchanges. I thought both II and RCI worked ''ABOUT"" the same. I guess I was wrong.

My point in this matter is: WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT to get and exchange from *mine is II* for a week that should be available after this long of a time and long of request time? If you use a good exchange deposit for a request, who has the''POWER"" AND how can you find out what might be availlable?

I only belong to II so don't know a thing about RCI. My mistake on that.
I also AGREE, more than just members read this board and figure out what
""we"" know and don't know.!!!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My point in this matter is: WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT to get and exchange from *mine is II* for a week that should be available after this long of a time and long of request time? If you use a good exchange deposit for a request, who has the''POWER"" AND how can you find out what might be availlable?

I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but have you tried calling II and asking them what's up with your deposit? Maybe there's some administrative glitch they can sort out? If I'd been waiting that long, I'd sure have called them to figure out if I was expecting something that wasn't likely to ever turn up. Worth a shot, anyway.

Good luck!

Dave

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bait & Switch for sure

That's EXACTLY bait & switch! You can't see it because your week doesn't have enough value. B&S is one of the big reasons - not points or rentals, not RCI "stealing" all the good weeks - that the week system ofyen offers littlebof value. No need for RCI to raid the pool - members using unfair trades are doing the dirty work.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps we should move this thread to the sightings board, so everyone cannot see it.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
info@chasepc.com

Perhaps we should move this thread to the sightings board, so everyone cannot see it.

If it has to be hidden we should all know its wrong!

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
John Chase, I am not trying to bait and switch. I deposited a Royal Mayan and asking for Royal Mayan , just a different week. I would not call this a bait and switch! Deosited a week 24 and asked for a week 5-8. Does that sound like bait and switch?

I am sorry for getting into this discussion. My beef is with II not RCI.

My main thing was:WHY CAN'T I SEE ANY EXCHANGES??? I guess I have the answer and II does not show them like RCI does.

I was not aware of the SIGHTING board until just a few weeks ago. Just don't try to do a lot of trades so it is not one I read.
SORRY FOR ALL THIS CONFUSION.!!!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I did not realize this was only about RCI exchanges. I thought both II and RCI worked ''ABOUT"" the same. I guess I was wrong.

I only belong to II so don't know a thing about RCI. My mistake on that.
I also AGREE, more than just members read this board and figure out what
""we"" know and don't know.!!!!
Nana, you seem to have gotten caught in the crossfire here.

RCI and II are VERY different....so as to your problem.

Log into your II account and hit the 'exchange' tab, click on 'search all destinations - leave the default at one adult and put in the dates Feb 13, 2009 to Feb 14,2010 and then hit 'continue'

On the next page, click on the 'exchange' button next to your pending request...

You should see availability in 140+ areas including Cancun.

What DO you see?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
John Chase, I am not trying to bait and switch. I deposited a Royal Mayan and asking for Royal Mayan , just a different week. I would not call this a bait and switch! Deosited a week 24 and asked for a week 5-8. Does that sound like bait and switch?

I am sorry for getting into this discussion. My beef is with II not RCI.

My main thing was:WHY CAN'T I SEE ANY EXCHANGES??? I guess I have the answer and II does not show them like RCI does.

I was not aware of the SIGHTING board until just a few weeks ago. Just don't try to do a lot of trades so it is not one I read.
SORRY FOR ALL THIS CONFUSION.!!!
Nana, I will also say that the Royal Resorts allows owners to deposit their weeks in II 24 months before check-in. So when u deposited the week and when u requested the trade will affect your success.
I traded for a Royal Sands week 7 22 months before check-in and I had 3 friends trade into RC, RI and VCI 10-12 months before check-in for that same week 7.

Good Luck...

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is precisely the reason why bait-and-switch tactics should NOT be discussed on open boards where anyone and everyone whether they are registered, guest or member can see these discussions.

JMHO

Cindy, I believe your initial intention of encouraging 'sightings' is a good one.

BUT...

I know you frequent the Starwood Board - check this thread http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86441 and - perhaps you have logged into your online Starwood account - MyStarCentral and noticed ME :cheer: and pointsjunkie Barb :banana: and WalnutBaron :wave:

It is not a coincidence that 3 TUGgers are in one newsletter and that Denise L and Westin5Star and someone else??? have been featured in the past few months.

They are watching and reading......(where are Mulder and Sculley when you need them :cool: )

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY bait & switch! You can't see it because your week doesn't have enough value. B&S is one of the big reasons - not points or rentals, not RCI "stealing" all the good weeks - that the week system ofyen offers littlebof value. No need for RCI to raid the pool - members using unfair trades are doing the dirty work.

Why is it wrong for the consumer to utilize the same tactics that the Exchange companies, Timeshare Developers, etc... use? I say it's a fair fight. If you can get away with it, GO FOR IT! At least YOU aren't breaking the law when YOU do it.

JM2c

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why is it wrong for the consumer to utilize the same tactics that the Exchange companies, Timeshare Developers, etc... use? I say it's a fair fight. If you can get away with it, GO FOR IT! At least YOU aren't breaking the law when YOU do it.

JM2c

And what law are you suggesting RCI/II is breaking?