• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Knowledge: getting the exchange you want without having the "exchange power"

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
And what law are you suggesting RCI/II is breaking?

timeos, I know you've read this thread, but I'll post it here for others who may have not. Although many of us are not happy with the results of the case, it does prove that RCI has broken the law.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86065

I'm not an attorney or a legal type, but RCI has broken the law. If they had not, they would not have to make the (meager) concessions as defined by this settlement. I cannot tell you what law it is that they broke. But they are guilty of taking advantage of their customers in an illegal way. So that's enough for me to make my point as posted previously above.
:shrug:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor, but that sure looks like cancer to me.

More seriously, having been involved in a lawsuit or two (as a party, not as a lawyer), settlements sometimes happen because they are less expensive, overall, than taking something through the court system---even when you believe you are going to win.

I'm not saying that RCI is blameless here, but a settlement, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily mean that "laws were broken." It's the terms of the settlement that matter---how much they were willing to give up to stop the suit. In this case RCI doesn't appear to have given up very much at all.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Big jump from settlement to illegal act(s)

timeos, I know you've read this thread, but I'll post it here for others who may have not. Although many of us are not happy with the results of the case, it does prove that RCI has broken the law.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86065

I'm not an attorney or a legal type, but RCI has broken the law. If they had not, they would not have to make the (meager) concessions as defined by this settlement. I cannot tell you what law it is that they broke. But they are guilty of taking advantage of their customers in an illegal way. So that's enough for me to make my point as posted previously above.
:shrug:

I'm not a lawyer, and I have no particular "love" for them, but your assumption that an agreement to settle a complaint automatically means one side or both were doing something illegal simply isn't correct. Even if one or both sides feel they are absolutely in the right - and you can bet both do - using their heads and preventing even more wasted money to the shyster types that actually do cash in on these things is only common sense. In neither case are the combatants likely to be happy or are they admitting any wrong doing. If the plaintiffs had a good case they wouldn't settle - if RCI had unlimited funds to fight they would press their view. Neither does so they compromise, admit no guilt and the world goes on. Nothing illegal there.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. This lawsuit wasnt about breaking the law. If it was it would have been in a criminal court. It was not. As much as I dislike RCI, the lawsuit was nonsense which is why the settlement amounted to RCI giving up almost nothing. RCI settled to avoid ongoing court costs, not because they did anything wrong.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
John Chase, I am not trying to bait and switch. I deposited a Royal Mayan and asking for Royal Mayan , just a different week. I would not call this a bait and switch! Deosited a week 24 and asked for a week 5-8. Does that sound like bait and switch?

I am sorry for getting into this discussion. My beef is with II not RCI.

My main thing was:WHY CAN'T I SEE ANY EXCHANGES??? I guess I have the answer and II does not show them like RCI does.

I was not aware of the SIGHTING board until just a few weeks ago. Just don't try to do a lot of trades so it is not one I read.
SORRY FOR ALL THIS CONFUSION.!!!

You deposited a Royal and you are asking for a Royal but it isnt that simple. You are trying to trade an off season week 24 for a peak season week 5-8. There in lies the problem. You are trying for a huge upgrade in seasons. IMO,based on II's "like for like trading system", you should not get the trade.

With 100 being average demand,week 24 is a 90 on II's Travel Demand Index which is below average demand. Weeks 5-8 are 145,130,140 and 120 respectively with 150 being the highest possible.

The problem in this case isnt with II, it is expecting to trade an off season week for a prime season week. I suggest you expand your exchange request to include more Cancun resorts to have a chance at getting the week you want.