• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kindle or I Pad?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It's not just wild speculation on my part either. ASUS already has a quad core tablet out, and Samsung, Acer and Mot are soon to follow. And, as was mentioned, that's not even taking into account Win8 tablets. Furthermore, from everything I've read, the iPad3 won't be any type of game changer. Better processor, higher res screen, etc. Same stuff all of the manufacturers are doing.

The best selling tablet doesn't need to be a game changer to keep on selling. Frankly, I think Apple needs a lot more intelligent competition in order to keep them innovating. So far, I'm not impressed with the competition. I know you believe otherwise.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think lots of folks like to take their books out on their decks or patios to read. I do. But aside from the sunlight issue, most reviews claim that the e ink type readers are easier on the eyes (less fatigue) when reading for longer periods. In addition, the battery life on dedicated readers dwarfs that of tablets, and the smaller, lighter form factor is more optimal for holding for longer periods. Whether any of those thing matter is up to each user, but I think it's safe to say that those attributes certainly aren't negatives.

Regardless, the point was that for the price of an iPad one could buy a comparable Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, and still have enough money left to buy a dedicated e ink reader, which would obviously cover more reading scenarios than any tablet alone.

I agree with you completely here, Jim. And it's not often I get to write that. :)

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best selling tablet doesn't need to be a game changer to keep on selling. Frankly, I think Apple needs a lot more intelligent competition in order to keep them innovating. So far, I'm not impressed with the competition. I know you believe otherwise.

I agree with the fact that they dont need to be a game changer to remain the top selling tablet. The one thing Apple has done (and done well) has created a following that will continually go to iNext. Their userbase is always looking for it's next fix (iNext) and will pay a premium for it

I think the next 5 years or so will crucial for Apple. Without Steve Jobs around (and his influence/innovation), we will find out if they can keep it going. I hope so, because technology needs great competitors.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
BTW, I thought I'd mention that Walmart is currently offering the Kindle Fire plus a $50 Walmart gift card for $199 + tax. Kind of hard to go wrong at that price.

where'd ya see this?

nm, found it on the walmart site under local deals...thanks!

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
BTW, I thought I'd mention that Walmart is currently offering the Kindle Fire plus a $50 Walmart gift card for $199 + tax. Kind of hard to go wrong at that price.

My mom and sister picked up one from Wal-Mart this last week with that promotion - what a deal!

I really like my Kindle Fire. We already had a Macbook Pro so no need to buy an I-Pad. I wanted something small and portable (but bigger than a smart phone) that I could carry in my purse and the Kindle Fire fit the bill - perfect for loading my library ebooks on and checking e-mail and surfing the net.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an iPad and a 2nd generation Kindle. If I had to do it all over again I would buy an iPad and a 2nd generation Kindle. :)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
where'd ya see this?

nm, found it on the walmart site under local deals...thanks!

Brian, you should call first. I went to Walmart last week, and they were sold out. No rain checks. Today is the last day of that special.

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your imput. I have decided on the Kindle fire as it sounds like it will suit my purpose. I will be on a cruise in March and know it will be used everyday. I bought it from Amazon and will try its book plan for the $79 offered. What a great time to be alive!!! I am almost 70 and have seen so much techi stuff in my lifetime and only wish I could be around for another 70 years to see what is down the pike.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get that the regular Kindle is better for reading in sunlight, but who really does most of their book reading outdoors or on the beach? ...

... I primarily use the Kindle app and I like reading in the reverse font where the letters are white and the background is black.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't see the big deal about better reading in direct sunlight, but I'm a bed reader and not a beach reader. If I was a beach reader, then I would just get one of those $79 Kindles and just use it for that purpose only.
I realize that you were responding to a particular post and I agree that many of us are not beach readers and thus having a dedicated ereader for just that purpose has a small audience. On the other hand, I like having a dedicated ereader for other reasons.

If you read for a long time, computer screen glare (that includes the Galaxy, Kindle Fire, IPad) becomes an issue. Your suggestion of a dark background with light letters is a good one, but still, in daylight (and that can be a living room, not necessarily something outside), a dedicated ereader is more comfortable to read. (In bed, you are right. I use an ITouch with an inverse screen for that. Any of the devices mentioned are good in that they provide their own lighting. Ereaders are inferior for bedtime reading.)

Secondly, with the smaller dedicated ereaders (I have a Nook Touch), they are still small enough that I can stick one in my front pants pocket. Any bigger, then I have the problem of where do I set it down when I am at the coffee shop ordering, the dentist, etc.

Finally, I prefer Nook simply because I object to Amazon asking me to pay in order not to have advertising (the Amazon Touch) or letting them track my web browsing so that they can send me appropriate ads (the Kindle Fire - that is why it is so cheap). I don't like ads on stadium walls, in my airline seats, more spams, etc. (People love DVR's not only for being able to watch shows when they want, but in order to avoid advertising.) Why give any company the license to add more invasive advertising to my life. JMHO

Last edited:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, I prefer Nook simply because I object to Amazon asking me to pay in order not to have advertising (the Amazon Touch) or letting them track my web browsing so that they can send me appropriate ads (the Kindle Fire - that is why it is so cheap).

I agree I prefer to avoid ads. Where/how does the Fire send ads? I haven't noticed them. Maybe I've just blocked them out. ;)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
shucks, all sold out.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree I prefer to avoid ads. Where/how does the Fire send ads? I haven't noticed them. Maybe I've just blocked them out. ;)

No ads of any sort on my Fire. I am a "Prime" member, but I don't think that has any bearing on the ads. I don't know where they'd even come into play.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, I prefer Nook simply because I object to Amazon asking me to pay in order not to have advertising (the Amazon Touch) or letting them track my web browsing so that they can send me appropriate ads (the Kindle Fire - that is why it is so cheap). I don't like ads on stadium walls, in my airline seats, more spams, etc. (People love DVR's not only for being able to watch shows when they want, but in order to avoid advertising.) Why give any company the license to add more invasive advertising to my life. JMHO

The Kindle Fire doesn't have ads. The Fire is cheap because Amazon is counting on making money off of Amazon content (books, movies, etc) delivered to the Fire.

There are versions of the Kindle Touch that have ads, but even those are very unobtrusive. My wife has the Touch with ads, and it basically displays an ad for your background (effectively sleep mode) and a small banner ad at the bottom of the home page. The ads never interfere when reading.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. In not trying to hijack the thread, I rushed through the final paragraph of my post. (I probably should have just left it out entirely.)

I started the paragraph correctly by trying to separate out the Kindle Touch (which does display ads unless you pay $40 extra - that is in addition to locking you in to their own books) from the Kindle Fire. Without getting into a long post, let me just note that the Kindle Fire comes with its own web tracking software that allows (encourages) its users to bypass Google (Yahoo/Bing). Tracking individual users is of considerable commercial value, so much so that they sell the Kindle at a loss. (Note: Barnes and Noble matches Amazon's price with the Touch. They cannot match them with their Tablet vs. Fire because the Barnes and Noble Tablet is incapable of tracking your web use.)