• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kindle or I Pad?

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to go with a 2nd Nook because I thought it was a tad more useful and more durable than the Kindle Fire. .

I don't know about the useful part but for durability, the Fire is hard to beat. I've read some test reviews where they dropped it unprotected onto a solid floor from 5 or 6 feet with no ill effects. Only when they dropped it flat on its face did it fail. The screen is also heavy duty, super scratch resistant. My impression is that the thing is a tank.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, I thought I'd mention that Walmart is currently offering the Kindle Fire plus a $50 Walmart gift card for $199 + tax. Kind of hard to go wrong at that price.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The iPad has become invaluable to me - you can download an app called LogMeIn (~$28) that allows me to remotely access my PC desktop so I do not need to take my laptop with me. Add in DropBox, iTunes U, WebEx, ReaddleDocs, plus many (many) others... life changing (and pays for itself)
YMMV

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our family the Kindle Fire beats out the Ipad. DD got an ipad two years ago and has only used it about 10 times. She prefers using her Macbook. She also as a iphone, so can access alot of the cool apps on that.

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and use it almost every day. I have used it to listen to music, watch episodes of Glee, read messages on TUG and of course, read books. It is a great companion to my laptop. I like that I can easily change the font size while reading books. The black type on the white screen of the Fire is easier on my eyes than the original Kindle screen, but I understand that the latter is better in sunlight. I don't usually read outdoors, so that feature doesn't really matter to me.

One thing we did not like about the ipad is that you have to have a Mac computer to set it up. You have to sync it with a mac to be able to use it. We trying syncing it with DD's Macbook, but the OS system was too old. So we had to update the OS system, which took forever to download. Only after that we could finally sync and use the ipad. I don't know what people who don't already own Macs are supposed to do. Take it to the Apple Store, I guess.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Isn't technology wonderful? There are so many options available now for us to use.

Threads like this without focus tend to end up discussing the esoteric or trivial distinctions, IMO. To iPad or not? To Kindle or not? Well, personally - and it's clear I'm not alone - I have both. I decided on focusing on the Amazon store for books and read using the Kindle software on my iPad when I'm home or on a plane, and use my Kindle (previous gen version with keyboard) when I'm on a beach or by a pool (and on my phone when in a line at some government agency waiting forever...). The Kindle software is good, but not great, and gets the job done.

The iPad shines with it's versatility. Since money is no object, I'll agree with others that the iPad wins hands down. Yes, the Fire is a nice device, though I'm personally waiting to see their next version. Dedicated eReaders other than Amazon's just don't do it for me, the Nook included.

I'll also agree with others that you should wait a month or so to see if Apple announces a new iPad version. If they follow past years, the new iPad will be announced and shipping soon... At which point I'll have an iPad 2 for sale! :)

On a lighter note, the best use of my iPad is reading and responding to TUG when I'm out and about using my unlimited AT&T connection (which unfortunately they don't offer anymore). Ever since I bought my first iPad I don't think I've checked TUG on my computer more than a handful of times. The versatility of the iPad is what makes it a fantastic device.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the OP's seriously considering the Fire and doesn't mind spending iPad kind of money, then they should definitely consider the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus. The performance of an iPad2 in a nice portable lightweight 7" form factor. Rated at 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. The 7.0 Plus is only $349 for a 16GB version, so one could buy one of these and a Kindle Touch eReader for the price of an iPad and have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If the OP's seriously considering the Fire and doesn't mind spending iPad kind of money, then they should definitely consider the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus. The performance of an iPad2 in a nice portable lightweight 7" form factor. Rated at 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. The 7.0 Plus is only $349 for a 16GB version, so one could buy one of these and a Kindle Touch eReader and have the best of both worlds.

Sure, but why not just wait a few weeks or a month to see if and what the iPad 3 has to offer? Since money isn't an issue, why even bother with a cheaper unit unless it's markedly better. Kinda hard to criticize buying an iPad given the ease of use and general success, when compared with a newer unit like the Samsung. Besides, the OP may prefer the large screen... I know I do. I wouldn't really want a 7" unit, though I could see it has its advantages at times. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Apple release the iPad in different sizes, either.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure, but why not just wait a few weeks or a month to see if and what the iPad 3 has to offer? Since money isn't an issue, why even bother with a cheaper unit unless it's markedly better. Kinda hard to criticize buying an iPad given the ease of use and general success, when compared with a newer unit like the Samsung. Besides, the OP may prefer the large screen... I know I do. I wouldn't really want a 7" unit, though I could see it has it's advantages at times. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Apple release the iPad in different sizes, either.

If one's into the waiting game, then there will be even better options than iPad3. As far as 7" screen, I presume it must've been in consideration since a Fire was mentioned. The Fire is 7" form factor only.

Color tablets are not ideal for ereading, especially in bright sunlight. So for the price of an iPad2, one could buy the Sammy and a Kindle Touch and have a comparable, but more portable tablet and a better ereader.

This model of Samsung is new, but obviously Samsung isn't new to tablets. All of their tablet products have received great reviews, so that's not an even really an issue, except to the uninformed. As I said, this model is very well received by consumers.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're into the waiting game, wait for Windows 8 to see what's coming this summer/fall. Will be in tablet/slate form factors. If you can turn off your brain to thinking about prior versions of Windows, which Win8 will not be at all. Potentially gamechanging from things I've seen.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that are really into the waiting game, just wait till 2015!

You won't believe it!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that are really into the waiting game, just wait till 2015!

You won't believe it!

But the world ends on 12/21/12. I'd like to get in a few games of Angry Birds before then.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
+1 for me. There are, however a few key differences.

1. Ipad has 3g (or 4g maybe) connectivity. Kindle Fire only has wi-fi. That's good or bad depending on how you look at it. Ipad requires a monthly cost for connectivity. For me, my smartphone is a hotspot with unlimited usage which my Kindle Fire taps into.

2. Ipad has a camera for video chat which the kindle doesn't.

3. I believe the Ipad doesn't support flash... the Kindle Fire does.

#1 above is likley the biggest consideration for most. Someone mentioned that the Kindle Fire isn't well suited for movies. I disagree. It's just as simple as the apple products, if not more so, to buy/rent and watch movies. If you have an amazon prime account, add in the availability of a good selection of free movies and books. For me, the combination of cost, both initial and ongoing, along with the benefits and the Kindle Fire was my choice. In truth, though, I don't think you'd be unhappy with either, uness #1 or 2 above impacts you.
Can u download your photos onto the Kindle Fire when u r traveling?

That would REALLY push me over the edge to buying one for travel.
I love my Kindle Keyboard 3G for reading and for surfing TUG, Facebook and TS4Ms when I was traveling to Australia/New Zealand but not having anything to download pictures to was a problem.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If one's into the waiting game, then there will be even better options than iPad3. As far as 7" screen, I presume it must've been in consideration since a Fire was mentioned. The Fire is 7" form factor only.

Color tablets are not ideal for ereading, especially in bright sunlight. So for the price of an iPad2, one could buy the Sammy and a Kindle Touch and have a comparable, but more portable tablet and a better ereader.

This model of Samsung is new, but obviously Samsung isn't new to tablets. All of their tablet products have received great reviews, so that's not an even really an issue, except to the uninformed. As I said, this model is very well received by consumers.

Obviously improvements will be made over time. However, Apple has been fairly predictable with their announcements over the past few years and Feb/Mar is the time for announcements on iPads. Not much guesswork here. If the OP has decided on iPad, then I'd suggest holding off a few weeks. That's all. No big deal. And again, I have both iPad and Kindle and think they're both great for their intended use, and encourage others to do the same if they have similar travel and use habits as I. See my earlier post about my thoughts on reading by the beach or pool, not sure why you imply I think otherwise... Naturally, this doesn't apply to everyone, is only my opinion, YMMV, etc etc.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you're into the waiting game, wait for Windows 8 to see what's coming this summer/fall. Will be in tablet/slate form factors. If you can turn off your brain to thinking about prior versions of Windows, which Win8 will not be at all. Potentially gamechanging from things I've seen.

Win8 deserves it's own thread.

janna1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a kindle and an ipad2. I brought them before the kindle fire out. If I have a choice now, I would only buy the kindle fire.

For me, I use my ipad2 for web browsing and my kids beg me for games. I am not so happy with the web browsing because it doesn't support flash. Occasionally I read books on the ipad, but it is too heavy to hold for a longer period of time. For this purpose, the kindle is much better.

It is really depends on what's your usage for the device. To me, using ipad is like driving a container truck to commute.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously improvements will be made over time. However, Apple has been fairly predictable with their announcements over the past few years and Feb/Mar is the time for announcements on iPads. Not much guesswork here. If the OP has decided on iPad, then I'd suggest holding off a few weeks. That's all. No big deal. And again, I have both iPad and Kindle and think they're both great for their intended use, and encourage others to do the same if they have similar travel and use habits as I. See my earlier post about my thoughts on reading by the beach or pool, not sure why you imply I think otherwise... Naturally, this doesn't apply to everyone, is only my opinion, YMMV, etc etc.

It's not just wild speculation on my part either. ASUS already has a quad core tablet out, and Samsung, Acer and Mot are soon to follow. And, as was mentioned, that's not even taking into account Win8 tablets. Furthermore, from everything I've read, the iPad3 won't be any type of game changer. Better processor, higher res screen, etc. Same stuff all of the manufacturers are doing.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not just wild speculation on my part either. ASUS already has a quad core tablet out, and Samsung, Acer and Mot are soon to follow. And, as was mentioned, that's not even taking into account Win8 tablets. Furthermore, from everything I've read, the iPad3 won't be any type of game changer. Better processor, higher res screen, etc. Same stuff all of the manufacturers are doing.

Which is why I was saying waiting till summer to see what Slate hardware will be out with Win8.

I dont think most of the non tech enthusiasts know whats coming with Win8, so throwing it out there in this thread may be confusing them. :)

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get that the regular Kindle is better for reading in sunlight, but who really does most of their book reading outdoors or on the beach?

By far, I do most of my reading in bed! For that I find either the iPad or the Kindle Fire or any of the other backlit device to be far better readers then the e ink kindles or other readers that you need to have a booklight in order to read them in bed. I bought a 2nd generation Kindle several years back and I didn't like it because reading in bed was a hassle. I replaced that with a Samsung Galaxy Tab and then an iPad 2 and I use it every night to read in bed. I primarily use the Kindle app and I like reading in the reverse font where the letters are white and the background is black.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't see the big deal about better reading in direct sunlight, but I'm a bed reader and not a beach reader. If I was a beach reader, then I would just get one of those $79 Kindles and just use it for that purpose only.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get that the regular Kindle is better for reading in sunlight, but who really does most of their book reading outdoors or on the beach?

By far, I do most of my reading in bed! For that I find either the iPad or the Kindle Fire or any of the other backlit device to be far better readers then the e ink kindles or other readers that you need to have a booklight in order to read them in bed. I bought a 2nd generation Kindle several years back and I didn't like it because reading in bed was a hassle. I replaced that with a Samsung Galaxy Tab and then an iPad 2 and I use it every night to read in bed. I primarily use the Kindle app and I like reading in the reverse font where the letters are white and the background is black.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't see the big deal about better reading in direct sunlight, but I'm a bed reader and not a beach reader. If I was a beach reader, then I would just get one of those $79 Kindles and just use it for that purpose only.

I think lots of folks like to take their books out on their decks or patios to read. I do. But aside from the sunlight issue, most reviews claim that the e ink type readers are easier on the eyes (less fatigue) when reading for longer periods. In addition, the battery life on dedicated readers dwarfs that of tablets, and the smaller, lighter form factor is more optimal for holding for longer periods. Whether any of those thing matter is up to each user, but I think it's safe to say that those attributes certainly aren't negatives.

Regardless, the point was that for the price of an iPad one could buy a comparable Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, and still have enough money left to buy a dedicated e ink reader, which would obviously cover more reading scenarios than any tablet alone.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can u download your photos onto the Kindle Fire when u r traveling?

Yes, but...

You can download pictures via a micro USB cable. The camera will show up as an external hard drive. You then just drag and drop the pictures. The Fire comes with only 5 gigs of memory. There's no way to expand that memory. Much of your purchased content is cloud storage at Amazon. Once you've moved your pictures to the Fire, you could upload them to your cloud file storage at Amazon, though I think it would be a timely process. My choice is to just have a couple of hi capacity memory cards for the camera and deal with it when I get home.