• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kindle Fire?

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I can't find any recent posts about the newer Kindles. I am now thinking about getting a Fire from Amazon, especially since I can have access to a free book a month from their library, with the Amazon Prime membership.

They seem to have a lot of the advantages of a teblet, with less cost.

I'm intrigued, and wondering if there are any opinions floating around here (which is the storehouse for intelligent, and other opinions.) LOL!

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
FIRE, isn't being released to the public till NOV.15. after that date i hope anyone who pre-ordered the tablet will post and let us know how it is

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered one for my niece. She wanted it for school. I will give an update after she has used it for a few days.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see some reviews before I order one. I want one, but with the monochrome Kindle, an iPad with Kindle, and Kindle for PC, it's hard to justify.

If you have a Kindle account (like Kindle for PC) you can still get the freebie book then when/if you get a Kindle device, everything in your account transfers wirelessly via whispersync and stores indefinitely on the cloud.

So in short, I don't think there's any real urgent hurry to order the device- unless you are really wanting an e-reader or tablet. Incidentally, I think they start shipping the Fire on the 15th.

Jim

M. Henley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ordered

Since I belong to Amazon's Prime and download movies through my PS 3, and now Amazon is offering free books for Prime members, I ordered one for my wife.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ordered as well. Said it will arrive 18th to 21st. I'm hoping for 18th as we leave on a cruise on the 19th.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did order one. It said delivery expected 11/19-22. It's my Christmas present to ME, so that's OK. ;-) I hope we all love it. Hugs, all.... Jean

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Most of us that pre ordered could have them this week. My credit card was finally charged last week and the status changed to "Shipping Soon".

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This article from yesterday's NYTimes had some pretty negative things to say about the Fire. The author loved the new Kindle ereaders, but made it sound like one should wait out the Fire until at least the second generation.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that the writer is comparing the Kindle Fire to an IPad tablet. Isn't that apples & oranges? I wouldn't expect it to be as slick or as fast as an IPad. We'll just have to wait and see.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that the writer is comparing the Kindle Fire to an IPad tablet. Isn't that apples & oranges? I wouldn't expect it to be as slick or as fast as an IPad. We'll just have to wait and see.

Exactly! Let's compare a $200 media player (effectively) with a $500 (minimum) tablet. That makes sense. Some journalism.............:rolleyes:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Fire has shipped!! estimated delivery is Nov 15th:cheer:

I will be trying it out pretty thoroughly the day it arrives, and let you know. Since I already have a Thrive I was able to already have many apps waiting to be downloaded.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
My Fire has shipped!! estimated delivery is Nov 15th:cheer:

Mine has shipped as well, and tracking shows it being delivered tomorrow. NICE!!! The shipping option I paid for had it arriving on Wednesday. I guess it doesn't matter, since I can't use it until Thursday, when my daughter gives it to me as my birthday present.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Let's compare a $200 media player (effectively) with a $500 (minimum) tablet. That makes sense. Some journalism.............:rolleyes:
Personally I thought it was good journalism.

If it was just that the Fire doesn't do all the things that a $500 IPad does, that would be one thing. That has always been clear and Amazon never tried to say anything but that. But that was not a big issue in the review. The journalist quickly mentions what the Fire does not do in passing (which could be important to some).

Most of the review is concerned with what the Fire does do and notes that it does many of these things very poorly (in particular, look at the last paragraph of the first page and the next paragraph on the second page). Maybe the things mentioned are not important to those excited about the Fire, but I don't think that makes going over them bad journalism. JMHO

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a good article if one is comparing an iPad to a Kindle. But, I didn't buy mine to replace my iPad. I bought it 'cuz I left my original Kindle on a plane :)bawl: :bawl: ) and I miss it terribly! For its replacement, I thought it would be cool to have the one with movies and TV shows. I love the Kindle's size -- slips easily into a purse! The iPad is a lot clunkier -- takes a bigger purse! Of course, I understand the Fire weighs a lot more than my original Kindle -- I'll have to see if that makes a difference. They're both just toys -- but fun toys!

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Typing?

Every review I have read has made no mention of whether you can type on the Kindle Fire. Can you?

Cheers!

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A touch keyboard must come up since you're able to send emails and browse the internet.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
A touch keyboard must come up since you're able to send emails and browse the internet.

That is my assumption, but I'd like to see it. If it is "thumb compatible" then it seems "handy" to me. If it is not "thumb compatible" like my itouch and is more like typing on an iPad, then I think the size of the screen will be an issue for me. Thanks.

Cheers!

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I'm interested in can you surf the Web effectively while traveling? Check your regular email, mapquest etc.? Can it open Word Excel docs etc? I have a Kindle 3G already but if this one allows you to do all that and you don't have to pay for monthly internet access then that would be great.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I'm interested in can you surf the Web effectively while traveling? Check your regular email, mapquest etc.? Can it open Word Excel docs etc? I have a Kindle 3G already but if this one allows you to do all that and you don't have to pay for monthly internet access then that would be great.
Unless I missed something, Kindle Fire is WIFI ONLY, so unless you're somewhere that has WiFi, it'll be tough to use on the go.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine shipped, too! Yea! It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
COUNTDOWN......

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Typing this comment on my Kindle Fire.
It is not choppy at all, like the NY Times report suggested. Yet anyway.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 124 reviews up on Amazon now for the Kindle Fire. Of course, some of them are worthless (don't own the device, fan boys, etc), but there's some worthwhile feedback if you have enough interest to separate the wheat from the chaff.