• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Sunset Harbor

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
Can anyone let me know what the current rate is for parking in garage next to Sunset Harbor? Thank you!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I don't know.

The only reason I'm replying is to suggest that you don't want a car in Key West. I lived there for 30 years. I never owned a car. They're not only unnecessary, they're a pain. I will never drive in Key West. I have friends and family who would welcome my car for free -- thanks, no. I don't want or need a car in Key West.

Even if someone is disabled and cannot walk or ride a bicycle, five-sixes cab and uber is better than having a car.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
I don't know.

The only reason I'm replying is to suggest that you don't want a car in Key West. I lived there for 30 years. I never owned a car. They're not only unnecessary, they're a pain. I will never drive in Key West. I have friends and family who would welcome my car for free -- thanks, no. I don't want or need a car in Key West.

Even if someone is disabled and cannot walk or ride a bicycle, five-sixes cab and uber is better than having a car.

I disagree. I like having the freedom to go to the grocery store, shopping and etc outside of Old Town. I have visited often and lived there for three years while in the Navy.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I disagree. I like having the freedom to go to the grocery store, shopping and etc outside of Old Town. I have visited often and lived there for three years while in the Navy.

You don't need a car to buy groceries. I did it for decades.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My point was that I know Key West very well, and my personal preference is to have a car available.

Your personal opinion is just that.

Unless you can help, there is no need to respond.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The lovely thing about internet fora is that others who come here can read these messages.

Parking sucks. On street parking sucks. The Winn-Dixie parking lot in Key West is perhaps the worst on the planet. My wife thinks so, at least. "Wow, that was a horrible parking lot. But not as bad as Winn Dixie in Key West."

It is less expensive to simply uber or cab it. And staying at Sunset Harbor, 99% of everything a visitor wants is within easy walking distance.

So I hope that future readers of this message learn that having a car in old town Key West is a royal pain.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please just go away.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was asking for help. You are just ranting.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I was asking for help. You are just ranting.

I am doing no such thing. Key West is a dead-flat island with no parking. It's far easier to walk, bike, or (for the disabled) take a cab.

The money saved not renting a car and then leaving it in a parking garage for a week is money better spent at the Green Parrot.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am doing no such thing. Key West is a dead-flat island with no parking. It's far easier to walk, bike, or (for the disabled) take a cab.

The money saved not renting a car and then leaving it in a parking garage for a week is money better spent at the Green Parrot.
I have reported you to TUG. I asked you to not reply unless you had useful information for ME! You are a troll.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I have reported you to TUG. I asked you to not reply unless you had useful information for ME! You are a troll.

Here's the thing -- I could pick up the phone. I can't pick it up now because it's mid-afternoon here in Hawaii. So anyone who might be at Sunset Harbor or the garage is gone for the day. But I could pick up the phone early tomorrow and get the answer. So could you.

It is my sincere hope that everyone who reads this seriously asks themselves if they really need a car in Key West. And I hope they come to the conclusion that the answer is "no." They'll enjoy a better vacation.

An answer you don't agree with isn't necessarily a bad answer.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol, folks shouldn’t get riled up, this is the internet. It’s okay for people to know both that Sunset Harbor has parking for an unknown price and that they can also choose (maybe prefer) to forego a car in KW.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here's the thing -- I could pick up the phone. I can't pick it up now because it's mid-afternoon here in Hawaii. So anyone who might be at Sunset Harbor or the garage is gone for the day. But I could pick up the phone early tomorrow and get the answer. So could you.

It is my sincere hope that everyone who reads this seriously asks themselves if they really need a car in Key West. And I hope they come to the conclusion that the answer is "no." They'll enjoy a better vacation.

An answer you don't agree with isn't necessarily a bad answer.
Since you aren't really adding anything new to the conversation, I would agree that it is ranting.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There is the ignore button which allows you to not see posts from people you set it on. I find it works best in these situations.

I would suggest calling the resort directly to ask them. They would have an idea of how much parking is at the garage.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would appreciate it if ONLY people who can help would reply. The question was simple. No other input is needed. Yes, I know I can call tomorrow, was just hoping to find out tonight. I'm not interested in other's opinions. This is so very simple.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is the ignore button which allows you to not see posts from people you set it on. I find it works best in these situations.
Thank you so much! I'll look for the ignore button!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would appreciate it if ONLY people who can help would reply. The question was simple. No other input is needed. Yes, I know I can call tomorrow, was just hoping to find out tonight. I'm not interested in other's opinions. This is so very simple.
Scoop comments here in absolutes, meaning his opinion is always the right one and it doesn't matter what you want or say, they will always be right.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will say that once one asks a question on a message board, one doesn't necessarily get to control how someone chooses to answer or not. And, sometimes people do post information on a thread because they know that other readers will come behind them.

No need for any one to get their noses bent out of shape here.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What I do not understand is why people feel that they need to get their 2 cents worth in on this post. I WILL AGAIN REQUEST THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION, DO NOT RESPOND! How hard is that to understand? Please go and post your opinions elsewhere! I'm not interested! Why can't you understand and respect my request? What is so hard about that?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I will say that once one asks a question on a message board, one doesn't necessarily get to control how someone chooses to answer or not. And, sometimes people do post information on a thread because they know that other readers will come behind them.

Yeah but five posts of the same thing. Scoop posts aren’t going to save the world from having a car in Key West. I think the point was made after one or two posts. Anything beyond that was just argumentative.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You clearly do not respect that I have made a request to only have relevant responses. This is ridiculous! If you can't help, just do not respond!

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is quite clear to me that this forum is not longer a place where I can post a question and get a simple response. Everyone seems to want to jump in with their opinions.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you cannot contribute something relative to the original post, there is no reason to comment.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there the week between Christmas/New Years 2021/2022. It was $25 a day. We’ll be back there next month so, I’ll check for you to make sure it hasn’t gone up, and report back if you still need to know for a future time.

i hope it’s ok to add some commentary since I answered your question. We have always gotten a car when we go to Key West because we like the flexibility and we make some trips to Mangrove Mama’s which is at about MM 20. Love that place. It has good Key Lime Pie - not as good as mine but close.

Anyway, I think a car is a personal choice. Do you NEED a car in Key West? Not in today’s environment and as Scoop said, parking can be a pain. But, if you like the flexibility and don’t mind jockeying for parking then that’s ok, too.