• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is sanitizing shopping carts important?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As others have noted above, we each should take responsibility for taking the measures that we perceive are necessary to protect ourselves.

I figure that the two most likely COVID-19 exposure routes I face are inhaling someone else's droplets, and picking it up on my hands and transferring it to my mouth, nose, or eyes. I avoid places where I do not feel I can maintain appropriate distancing, and give preference to places that have enhanced cleanliness practices and procedures, including for store staff.

I wear a mask. The mask is nice to protect other people, but most importantly it keeps me from accidentally infecting myself with my hands. I usually also where my safety glasses with have side shields, because that offers protection from drift into my eyes.

Shopping carts, especially the handles are nearby surfaces, strike me as prime places for a virus transfer to occur, so as much as I can I patronize stores that disinfect carts. I also go to stores that maintain control of the number of shoppers in the store so that distancing can be maintained.

I have started doing almost all of our grocery shopping at Trader Joe's, for the reasons outlined. I also suspect that TJ's clientele overall may be more interested in ensuring distancing, which makes it easier to shop there.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You bring up staph. A lot of people are really worried about catching C19. Totally appreciate and respect their concerns.

My stressor: catching something like staph or other bacterial infection in a hospital. That's where I get creeped out and OCDish.
Yep - the place to get an infection is a location where there are a lot of sick people in a confined space.

My medical care system has set up support centers that they send healthy people to for routine procedures such as blood draws that don't require physician or NP presence.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We always wipe down our shopping kart. We also wear gloves that are removed as we leave the store.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You bring up staph. A lot of people are really worried about catching C19. Totally appreciate and respect their concerns.

My stressor: catching something like staph or other bacterial infection in a hospital. That's where I get creeped out and OCDish.
Along that line. I was visiting a home bound elderly friend today after seeing her a couple weeks ago. Last time I saw her neither of us used any form of PPE. No concerns. I saw her today and learned she most likely has stomach cancer with primary symptom being extreme diahrea. I took her hand as a form of comfort. The moment I left her house and got in the car I used sanitizer and wipes up to my elbows. I've heard there is a highly contagious ailment among elderly that causes that symptom and I don't want to catch it.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
1. While, I've read lots of news articles about gloves and masks, I do not recall any studies being cited.

2. I am over 60 but would not consider myself in a high risk category. On the other hand, I contracted at least 4 viruses this season.

3. I went to 4 stores yesterday. Only one asked me to wear a mask. If I am the only person is the building without one, what is the danger to everyone else? As I mentioned, I never opened my mouth. I don't touch my face. Just not sure about all this. What was the risk in the other 3 stores?

4. At one point, we were told NOT to wear masks and I am still reading that it is not a good idea. There's lots of criticism about wearing gloves,
but where is the research?

5. Aren't some of us going to get this virus eventually? Are we all going to be able to avoid it?

ANSWERS to each colored point above will be represented in the corresponding colors below:

1. The "studies" (2 shown below) have been cited everywhere, and even posted here on TUG ad nauseum. I have posted several things from a
healthcare professional's perspective, so I know-----it's not simply my own opinion.
So, here are the reasons!...how did you miss these, they've been on every media outlet on the planet for 2-3 months?

and

2. You are over 60? Then it's every doctor's and researcher's professional opinion that you ARE at greater risk because of certain
physiological changes your body possesses
that you apparently are not familiar with, whether you "consider yourself" different or not.
They go by actual chronological age, not by what you feel, which is frankly irrelevant. So you contracted 4 different viruses this season?
What does that tell you? Luckily none of them were deadly, but what we're talking about here is a deadly virus.

3. Refer to my #1 answers!
Your question "what was the risk?" begs you to read and re-read the current "professional" thought on everything you missed.

4. Not wear masks? It's not a good idea??? WHERE are you reading that???
If anyone put that in print, then read on because you totally missed their point---
i.e., the mask-wearers they were talking about were not following the RIGHT way to wear a mask....
But simply not wearing one was never the intended suggestion.
And, Gloves are entirely different...Gloved hands touch everything, and then immediately following you may use them to
inadvertently touch your own clothes, your arms, your purse, your wallet, your credit card, your keys, your steering wheel,
your door knobs, and yes, even your face without realizing it, and it goes on and on.
For those reasons alone, gloves have been deemed to be more of a hazard than a benefit.
You even contaminate your clean hands underneath the gloves when you remove the gloves.

More RESEARCH for you:
Hand contamination (at a restaurant or ANYWHERE---same process, shown below)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/heal...periment-coronavirus-trnd-wellness/index.html

5. Possibly, BUT........
Frankly, how closely the people adhere to the professionals' researched directives and recommendations will do more to
determine how likely they are to get the virus. How close you get to a fire determines how badly you will get burned.
It's why we tell children "No, No" when they approach a fire.
Just look at the cultural practices in the more devastated Italy, where everyone touches each other, then kisses each other on both cheeks
all day long. Because of it, it spread like wild fire and killed a disproportionate number of people. Or look at the pub activity in UK, same deal.
Those qualify as common-sense "cultural studies" rather than scientific studies, do they not?
Bottom line, the less YOU adhere to the "rules", the MORE risk you are inviting. And if you don't wish to accept the safety protocols,
then it's more likely that NO, you won't be able to avoid it. If the nay-sayers don't become infected, it's a higher degree of luck,
rather than any scientific theory they've proven. Lock-downs or stay-at-home directives, although highly unpopular with some,
have definitely caused the "curve to flatten". These things grouped all together tell a story.

My focus tends to be on hand washing (not in an OCD kind of way) than sanitizing surfaces. Wash hands thoroughly after being
in a store or in a setting where I'm touching anything. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

I agree that hand washing is critical and a real means of avoiding contamination and subsequent infection with a potentially deadly virus,
but the point remains that there are MANY other things at play, to which you are totally disregarding, to your potential detriment.......
I sincerely hope you are doing MORE than just washing hands. Sanitizing surfaces, regardless of your stated inattention and ill-defined focus,
is equally critical for prevention. Should we applaud you for ignoring it? or for not wearing masks? or for "sticking to it"?
Before you get home and wash your hands, though, to repeat from above in this seemingly harmless scenario, you touch your own clothes,
your arms, your purse, your wallet, your credit card, your keys, your steering wheel, your door knobs,
and yes, even your face without realizing it, and it goes on and on.
Not to mention that if you did any one of those things when Covid-19 Virus particles were actually present, unbeknownst to you,
then you have most likely also breathed in those same virus particles, or will. If you brush your clothes, for example, the particles can fly.
I know the things you've said as to your personal feelings toward the universally accepted precautions, per your posts,
and I want to say that I think you, and a few others here, are being quite naive and reckless. That's my opinion.
I just hope others have better judgment, based on STUDIES and RESEARCH rather than aspirations to exercise
personal freedoms at the risk to yourself and others.
If you could only read and study the information I've reviewed by the CDC and by my own federal and state professional associations,
you would cringe. You fear being branded as OCD. MY fear is that you could conceivably be branded as "in hospital on a respirator".
Things are now improving only slightly, but don't be deceived-----it's not over yet and there's a lot of potential heartache out there.
We have no definitive treatments yet, and certainly no vaccines or cures. I do not want anyone here to get sick,
especially to the point of irreparable damage to their lungs or even death,
but it CAN happen regardless of age or health...it all depends on how one's own body responds, about which you don't know right now.

My advice to all is to STAY SAFE and DON'T LET UP ........ not yet. There's a long way to go.......months and months.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My focus tends to be on hand washing (not in an OCD kind of way) than sanitizing surfaces. Wash hands thoroughly after being in a store or in a setting where I'm touching anything. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!
Pretty much my way too...

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
My focus tends to be on hand washing (not in an OCD kind of way) than sanitizing surfaces. Wash hands thoroughly after being in a store or in a setting where I'm touching anything. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

Is that the sweet sound of reason? Simple, basic, yet effective. ;)

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My local grocery store sanitizes all the carts. We aren't allowed to take one from another shopper that hasn't been sanitized, yet. I find it to be theater myself. I've always used the wipe to wipe down the handle, but they are spraying down the whole thing. Do people really touch their shopping carts that much that the whole thing needs to be wiped down?

The last time I was at the store, there was a woman in front of me in the check out line in an ECV who wasn't wearing a mask. The cashier, very kindly, told her that she had to have a mask on to be helped and if she needed one, they would find one for her. I didn't hear the woman's response, but I heard the cashier tell her again that they were not allowed to help her if she didn't have a mask on. The woman already had her groceries on the belt. The woman said that her scarf was her mask and she tied it up around her face, which satisfied the cashier. The cashier works behind plexiglass and it was obviously just a rule that her employer had about customers needing to have a mask on vs actually being necessary. The amazing part to me was that there was a calm kindness and genuine desire to help the lady in the ECV. There ended up being 3 employees helping the lady, all with kindness and consideration. Meanwhile, impatient me was getting irked that it was taking so much time to deal with and that it took 3 employees to help her when the lines were moving super slow and I just wanted to get out of the store, lol. I was moved by the level of kindness, though.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
[My focus tends to be on hand washing.] Simple, basic, yet effective.
Respiratory Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: What Do We Really Know?
"Is it really so important whether a pathogen is spread via aerosol most of the time or just sometimes? The distinctions of obligate, preferential, and opportunistic aerosol transmission have been proposed. Organisms that transmit as obligate or preferential aerosols are considered to cause infection upon reaching the most distal airways. Opportunistic aerosol transmission might occur when the chance arises, but other routes such as contact, droplet, or ingestion can also transmit infection. Over short distances, both droplet and aerosol transmission are important; therefore, aerosol-generating medical procedures or close proximity to an infected person requires face protection that will filter aerosols as well as droplets (ie, an N95 mask). Over longer distances, droplet transmission of infection through the air becomes less important as the droplets fall to surfaces. In poorly ventilated indoor areas aerosols may continue to be important in transmitting infection as they remain in the air — and therefore an N95 mask is desirable in COVID-19 patient areas — but in well-ventilated areas the aerosols may be diluted in the air. The viral load necessary for infection is not known. But how far is far enough to elude droplets and to diffuse aerosols? It is generally accepted that droplets can travel 1 to 2 m before falling to surfaces and that aerosols can travel much farther. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advise that persons maintain 6 ft of separation. However, a “gas cloud” model suggests that a cough or sneeze could send respiratory particles as far as 8 m. Also, airflow patterns in a room might influence the distance even a droplet may travel. In a model of moving persons, such as walking or running, the distance to encounter exhaled respiratory droplets may be greater than for those standing still. Recommendations for face protection will therefore be based on evolving knowledge of all these issues."

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Is that the sweet sound of reason? Simple, basic, yet effective. ;)

Simple for sure, Basic for sure.
Effective? Not as much as doing all the things recommended. All depends on how much risk you're wanting to take on. Good luck.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
I think sanitizing the carts is a reasonable measure to try to prevent covid from spreading. My pet peeve is Aldi, where the cashiers routinely switch carts so they can speedily ring your items up. Only once did the cashier wipe the cart she was giving me.

I personally feel I am responsible for myself. So I carry hand sanitizer everywhere and have been known to put a good amout on my hands and then rub over the cart handle.

My Aldi changed their setup over six weeks ago. A Quarter for a cart is no longer needed. There is a person out front to sanitize all returned carts. The cart you start with is the one you leave with. One person at a time in checkout with others 6 feet behind. One way arrows on floors showing the direction shoppers should follow. Checkers wear masks. Aldi is my go to place when I venture out to stock up on the basic items that I need.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Respiratory Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: What Do We Really Know?
"Is it really so important whether a pathogen is spread via aerosol most of the time or just sometimes? The distinctions of obligate, preferential, and opportunistic aerosol transmission have been proposed. Organisms that transmit as obligate or preferential aerosols are considered to cause infection upon reaching the most distal airways. Opportunistic aerosol transmission might occur when the chance arises, but other routes such as contact, droplet, or ingestion can also transmit infection. Over short distances, both droplet and aerosol transmission are important; therefore, aerosol-generating medical procedures or close proximity to an infected person requires face protection that will filter aerosols as well as droplets (ie, an N95 mask). Over longer distances, droplet transmission of infection through the air becomes less important as the droplets fall to surfaces. In poorly ventilated indoor areas aerosols may continue to be important in transmitting infection as they remain in the air — and therefore an N95 mask is desirable in COVID-19 patient areas — but in well-ventilated areas the aerosols may be diluted in the air. The viral load necessary for infection is not known. But how far is far enough to elude droplets and to diffuse aerosols? It is generally accepted that droplets can travel 1 to 2 m before falling to surfaces and that aerosols can travel much farther. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advise that persons maintain 6 ft of separation. However, a “gas cloud” model suggests that a cough or sneeze could send respiratory particles as far as 8 m. Also, airflow patterns in a room might influence the distance even a droplet may travel. In a model of moving persons, such as walking or running, the distance to encounter exhaled respiratory droplets may be greater than for those standing still. Recommendations for face protection will therefore be based on evolving knowledge of all these issues."

Thanks for the input however, we all need to choose how we're going to react to any given threat, perceived or otherwise. I can only speak for me but, I admire the simple, basic and what she believes, as do I, to be the effective solution to this.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple for sure, Basic for sure.
Effective? Not as much as doing all the things recommended. All depends on how much risk you're wanting to take on. Good luck.

That my friend, could be debated a long, long time. ;)

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
ANSWERS to each colored point above will be represented in the corresponding colors below:

1. The "studies" (2 shown below) have been cited everywhere, and even posted here on TUG ad nauseum. I have posted several things from a
healthcare professional's perspective, so I know-----it's not simply my own opinion.
So, here are the reasons!...how did you miss these, they've been on every media outlet on the planet for 2-3 months?

and

2. You are over 60? Then it's every doctor's and researcher's professional opinion that you ARE at greater risk because of certain
physiological changes your body possesses
that you apparently are not familiar with, whether you "consider yourself" different or not.
They go by actual chronological age, not by what you feel, which is frankly irrelevant. So you contracted 4 different viruses this season?
What does that tell you? Luckily none of them were deadly, but what we're talking about here is a deadly virus.

3. Refer to my #1 answers!
Your question "what was the risk?" begs you to read and re-read the current "professional" thought on everything you missed.

4. Not wear masks? It's not a good idea??? WHERE are you reading that???
If anyone put that in print, then read on because you totally missed their point---
i.e., the mask-wearers they were talking about were not following the RIGHT way to wear a mask....
But simply not wearing one was never the intended suggestion.
And, Gloves are entirely different...Gloved hands touch everything, and then immediately following you may use them to
inadvertently touch your own clothes, your arms, your purse, your wallet, your credit card, your keys, your steering wheel,
your door knobs, and yes, even your face without realizing it, and it goes on and on.
For those reasons alone, gloves have been deemed to be more of a hazard than a benefit.
You even contaminate your clean hands underneath the gloves when you remove the gloves.

More RESEARCH for you:
Hand contamination (at a restaurant or ANYWHERE---same process, shown below)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/heal...periment-coronavirus-trnd-wellness/index.html

5. Possibly, BUT........
Frankly, how closely the people adhere to the professionals' researched directives and recommendations will do more to
determine how likely they are to get the virus. How close you get to a fire determines how badly you will get burned.
It's why we tell children "No, No" when they approach a fire.
Just look at the cultural practices in the more devastated Italy, where everyone touches each other, then kisses each other on both cheeks
all day long. Because of it, it spread like wild fire and killed a disproportionate number of people. Or look at the pub activity in UK, same deal.
Those qualify as common-sense "cultural studies" rather than scientific studies, do they not?
Bottom line, the less YOU adhere to the "rules", the MORE risk you are inviting. And if you don't wish to accept the safety protocols,
then it's more likely that NO, you won't be able to avoid it. If the nay-sayers don't become infected, it's a higher degree of luck,
rather than any scientific theory they've proven. Lock-downs or stay-at-home directives, although highly unpopular with some,
have definitely caused the "curve to flatten". These things grouped all together tell a story.

I agree that hand washing is critical and a real means of avoiding contamination and subsequent infection with a potentially deadly virus,
but the point remains that there are MANY other things at play, to which you are totally disregarding, to your potential detriment.......
I sincerely hope you are doing MORE than just washing hands. Sanitizing surfaces, regardless of your stated inattention and ill-defined focus,
is equally critical for prevention. Should we applaud you for ignoring it? or for not wearing masks? or for "sticking to it"?
Before you get home and wash your hands, though, to repeat from above in this seemingly harmless scenario, you touch your own clothes,
your arms, your purse, your wallet, your credit card, your keys, your steering wheel, your door knobs,
and yes, even your face without realizing it, and it goes on and on.
Not to mention that if you did any one of those things when Covid-19 Virus particles were actually present, unbeknownst to you,
then you have most likely also breathed in those same virus particles, or will. If you brush your clothes, for example, the particles can fly.
I know the things you've said as to your personal feelings toward the universally accepted precautions, per your posts,
and I want to say that I think you, and a few others here, are being quite naive and reckless. That's my opinion.
I just hope others have better judgment, based on STUDIES and RESEARCH rather than aspirations to exercise
personal freedoms at the risk to yourself and others.
If you could only read and study the information I've reviewed by the CDC and by my own federal and state professional associations,
you would cringe. You fear being branded as OCD. MY fear is that you could conceivably be branded as "in hospital on a respirator".
Things are now improving only slightly, but don't be deceived-----it's not over yet and there's a lot of potential heartache out there.
We have no definitive treatments yet, and certainly no vaccines or cures. I do not want anyone here to get sick,
especially to the point of irreparable damage to their lungs or even death,
but it CAN happen regardless of age or health...it all depends on how one's own body responds, about which you don't know right now.

My advice to all is to STAY SAFE and DON'T LET UP ........ not yet. There's a long way to go.......months and months.
My goodness, thank you for taking the time! I wasn't sneezing or coughing, so not sure how your videos apply, but definitely giving you props for color coding. Nicely done!

There continues to be more and more evidence that those with metabolic syndrome and similar ailments are more susceptible. Just because one is on one side of 60 or the other is NOT the biggest driver of vulnerability. Your concern seems to make my point. On one hand, you are suggesting I am more vulnerable which is not a concern I share. And, if I am more vulnerable, doesn't that mean that it is less likely that I am an asymptomatic carrier?
Just trying to think this through.

I will say that I have been duly warned - saw where a shopper was asked to leave a Costco in CO for not wearing a mask.

I plan to visit my Costo again. I will carefully scan the parking lot to determine if they are indeed sanitizing them somewhere. And, I will continue to vigorously wash my hands as others are doing. I will carry my own soap and water and washcloth :)

Stay safe, friends! The stories of loss are heartbreaking.

Reactions: jme

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Add this to "more knowledge about Covid 19 the longer we actually study it vs guess" file:

So if Covid does not spread easily on surfaces, then is cleaning groceries and items brought into the home necessary? Is it necessary to worry about touching things in the grocery store or clean off shopping carts? This would indicate to me that those precautions are not that important in the big scheme of things. You can do it if you want but the reduction of risk might not be worth the effort.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if Covid does not spread easily on surfaces, then is cleaning groceries and items brought into the home necessary? Is it necessary to worry about touching things in the grocery store or clean off shopping carts? This would indicate to me that those precautions are not that important in the big scheme of things. You can do it if you want but the reduction of risk might not be worth the effort.
I was never one to sanitize carts, mail or groceries-just good hand sanitation-and I would wipe/sanitize surfaces like counters where my reusable bags sat.
What it means for places like our nursing homes though is not needing to completely disinfect things like room trays before bringing back into the dietary department before cleaning and sanitizing-using usual washing and sanitizing procedures is good for the general population, if no CV19+ residents/staff in building. Those items that go into the area where any CV19 items are will likely be disinfected prior to being brought into general area for cleaning.
For grocery carts-just the usual-clean/use the sanitizing wipes if you want, practice good hand hygiene and do not touch your face: same as always.
Disinfect-killing nearly all or all surface germs-generally harsher cleaning materials required and not food surface safe.
Sanitize-bringing germs to safe level where they can't cause harm, safe for surfaces food may touch.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
If we could get sanitizing wipes we'd take them with us.
I think that the recipe for sanitizer is 4 teaspoons of bleach to a quart of water. (But I always go a bit overboard - - so if 4 teaspoons is a good idea, perhaps 6 (2 tablespoons) is even better). So, you could get a ziplock bag and put in a half dozen or so folded paper towels and pour in a little of the bleach solution, and you would have made your own sanitizing wipes. Or even a Tupperware container with the bleach solution and a sponge. In tough times, you need to be creative if the other options aren't achievable.

geekette

Reaction score
I haven't bothered with any of that. get my stuff home, out of bags, which stash in same place in my home as always, wash my hands. Put my stuff away, wash my hands. I haven't been out and about so I may not be a great test case, but I definitely don't quarantine my purchases (or my mail) nor wash them (aside from fresh produce, which I always washed before consuming).

I agree, probably not worth the effort, but if it gives comfort to someone, go for it. I was never a germaphobe, but imagine that is a torment with this going on. I think fairly early on we knew that if the crap was going to adhere, it would be liking stainless steel a lot more than cardboard.

Brett

Reaction score

probably - but all the grocery stores have employees sanitizing carts. - baggers & sanitizers :)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
probably - but all the grocery stores have employees sanitizing carts. - baggers & sanitizers :)
All should, but not all do. ;)

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that the recipe for sanitizer is 4 teaspoons of bleach to a quart of water. (But I always go a bit overboard - - so if 4 teaspoons is a good idea, perhaps 6 (2 tablespoons) is even better). So, you could get a ziplock bag and put in a half dozen or so folded paper towels and pour in a little of the bleach solution, and you would have made your own sanitizing wipes. Or even a Tupperware container with the bleach solution and a sponge. In tough times, you need to be creative if the other options aren't achievable.
NO more is NOT better. There is a ratio for a reason!
  • Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
    • 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water or
    • 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
  • Bleach solutions will be effective for disinfection up to 24 hours.
Additionally, diluted household bleach solutions (at least 1000ppm sodium hypochlorite) can be used if appropriate for the surface. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application, ensuring a contact time of at least 1 minute, and allowing proper ventilation during and after application. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.

CDC recipe for home sanitizer with bleach. And never ever ever ever ever mix with ammonia-ever. Unless you really don't like your lungs.

Last edited: