• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

iPhone or Android smartphone?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have tried 3 times already & bombed each time worse than the last. The biggest one time supporter - Samsung I believe it was - has announced they have bailed & joined the Android camp and have enjoyed a surge ever since. It is now down to Android vs iPhone (IOS) with no one else likely to break in significantly in the next 4-5 years. Microsoft is not good at anything that needs to have a small & reliable footprint. People don't want or need pc power phones and thats what it takes to run an MS operating system. Ask Ford owners how SYNC has worked out for them if you need other examples of unreliable/unmanageable MS attempts at "simple" interfaces (Hey, this issue goes back to BOB!)

Palm /HP had the best OS for phones in the WebOS but it too has now been regulated to a niche at best. RIM is still #3 and they are barely holding on. WebOS - now that it's public domain - may have a brighter future as an upgraded interface to Android than any version of Windows phone. If you like the Windows phone thats great but it isn't a serious player, doesn't have much application support and is a likely dead end technology long before the hardware life /contract is over. Recommending it to a new user is not a good idea IMO.

I'm not a believer that the market picks the best - it has been proven time & time again it doesn't - but manufacturers and developers do not continue support very long for any product with a tiny market share. That is Windows phone to a fault.

With all due respect, you make some pretty gross generalizations. Samsung has not dropped WP. In fact, here's an article on new WP phones being introduced at CES by the 3 largest phone makers in the world:

http://www.windowslifestyle.com/htc-samsung-nokia-unveil-windows-phone-ces-2012/

I'm OS indifferent, but as I said, Microsoft's new phone OS has been well recieved by both the general public and the tech media. If I were shopping for a new phone, I certainly would at least go play with a WP device.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The iphone 4S is not even a 4G phone, and has no support for mobile tethering, and does not have an expandable memory slot. Game over. :wave:

The tethering part is not true. The iPhone supports mobile tethering and it can be used as a mobile wifi hot spot for up to 5 devices. There's no need to jailbreak it to use these features as all 3 carriers support these features.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm OS indifferent, but as I said, Microsoft's new phone OS has been well recieved by both the general public and the tech media. If I were shopping for a new phone, I certainly would at least go play with a WP device.

Leo Laporte is very positive about the Windows phone.

That being said, its very late to the game and b/c of that there are very few apps for it.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I can learn using the I-Phone, anyone can! Free classes as well at Apple stores. Takes terrific photos as well. It even has a feature where you can find your phone if you lose it. Also, Facetime is where you actually SEE your caller (if you two own I-phones) while talking. It was great with my Colorado son when we were celebrating Christmas and he was able to see all the rest of us in California. Love it! :cheer:

I got both of my 68 year old parents iPhones about 1.5 years ago and they both love them. We use facetime all the time.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

That being said, its very late to the game and b/c of that there are very few apps for it.

I agree it's late in the game. But Microsoft isn't going anywhere, and they stuck with Windows Mobile for quite a while, even though it was reportedly awful.

I'm not saying the OP should go buy a WP phone, just that they should go play with one. A friend has one and he loves it.

icul8rg8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd get lots of opinions and suggestions! Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with the iPhone (I've never been a Mac person, so today was the first time I've ever even been in the Apple Store!).

Also went to Best Buy and a nearby Verizon store (and tagged along with a friend who was updating her phone with T-Mobile). I made sure I tested every phone mentioned in the replies (thanks!).

By far, my favorite phone was the new Samsung Galaxy S II. But it wasn't available for Verizon. Almost made the switch to T-Mobile, just to get that phone (and they had a screaming deal with Boeing employees where my husband works). But had my friend use her new Galaxy at our house and sure 'nuff - NO RECEPTION. I realized that I won't really be doing much customization, mobile tethering, jailbreaking or hot-spotting (well, maybe I will once I find out what all that means!).

Again thanks!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

That is not true, there are over 50,000 apps for Windows Phone. With the exception of a couple key apps like, say, Words With Friends, Windows Phone has every other major app that exists on iPhone and Android.

Microsoft's strategy for Windows 8 is very tied into the success of Windows Phone, and they will be investing heavily. The interface and usability is hands down better than the klunky, unpolished, and typically-sluggish Android experience. I personally find that it does not match the polish of iphone, but the overall capability, intuitiveness, and usability of the phone place it ahead of iPhone.

Whether it catches on, which I believe it will by the end of the year with the launch of Windows 8, what matters is what provides the best user experience and the critical apps that one wants. If Words With Friends is a must, then WP is a dealbreaker right now. If you care about the most integrated and intuitive experience, then WP is definitely worth consideration.

I've got the HTC Titan and it is a monster. Love it. On Verizon, I think the only phone is the HTC Trophy, which is ok, but there maybe some 4G LTE phones coming later this year.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
By far, my favorite phone was the new Samsung Galaxy S II. But it wasn't available for Verizon. Almost made the switch to T-Mobile, just to get that phone (and they had a screaming deal with Boeing employees where my husband works). But had my friend use her new Galaxy at our house and sure 'nuff - NO RECEPTION.

iPhone was a better choice. Galaxy S II is nice, great hardware, snazzy looking UI on the surface, but after you spend some time with Android, it just feels tired and disjointed. That is, at least, unless you like spending an hour or two here and there rooting your phone and pimping it with the latest "mod". If you want something out of the box that you can grow old with and not get irritated with it, iPhone is better in my opinion. A strong runner-up to WP.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With any Windows the "next version" will always be the greatest! But after two days or so "the next version '9'" is the fix for the inevitable numerous issues & we wait another year or two until 8 is then released and 10 is "the fix for it all". No thanks. Not on my phone or pc.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will grant that it's a moot point with the OP choosing an iPhone. Good phone and millions of people wouldn't have anything else. The day (minute?) an upgraded- or new model comes out tens of thousands pony up the price of turning in their still-under-contract 'old' one for the new. Bless their pea-pickin' hearts.

If you ask those who have had their fingers on a Windows 7.5 phone will tell you that deep down inside, it's a better, more intuitive experience. Sure, there are more apps for either iPhone or Android. But the important ones are available on WP and will integrate with your PC better. And that will improve when Win 8 pervades the base- like Win 7 did.

Now, the Apple FanBoys and Girls will continue to love what they can buy at the iStore. So be it.

But if you are not too jaded to be objective, give a new Windows Phone a try.

Jim

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
With any Windows the "next version" will always be the greatest! But after two days or so "the next version '9'" is the fix for the inevitable numerous issues & we wait another year or two until 8 is then released and 10 is "the fix for it all". No thanks. Not on my phone or pc.

It is obvious you are unfamiliar with Windows Phone. Comparing it to your past experience with the Windows PC operating system is a cynic's endeavor at best. For those who have actually used WP, they will intimate that it is a fantastic user experience, and stable operating system.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is obvious you are unfamiliar with Windows Phone. Comparing it to your past experience with the Windows PC operating system is a cynic's endeavor at best. For those who have actually used WP, they will intimate that it is a fantastic user experience, and stable operating system.

When I was basically forced away from the true trend setter line of Palm/webOS phones by HP bungling my options were wide open. I looked for about 30 seconds at iPhone as I was already familiar with that & no 4g on the "new" model killed that as I could get a much better phone with 3g with a new Pre2. But if I was going to change it had to be with something about it better than I already had.

I did my usual heavy research, tried over 6 different models - the Windows phone didn't make it to even the middle 4. In fact only one phone - one of the clunky first generation androids was less desirable. It wasn't even close to my 2 year old Pre+!

You read it here (as well as many other places) a couple years from now Windows phone as a product will be as dead & buried as Vista today. They don't have a market.o

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I think it's a bit early to pass judgment on WP.

The market has passed judgment. A tragic mistake, perhaps.
The scrap-heap of history is littered with worthy products spurned by the public.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The market has passed judgment. A tragic mistake, perhaps.
The scrap-heap of history is littered with worthy products spurned by the public.

I'm not sure why you'd say that. As I've already pointed out, the 3 largest manufacturers of handsets are releasing more WP units as we speak.
I'm not claiming that WP will be so successful that it overtakes Android. But given that the lifespan of a smartphone is around 2 years, a WP unit will not be any less useful than any other current unit at the end of that period. It's just a smartphone, after all.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
You read it here (as well as many other places) a couple years from now Windows phone as a product will be as dead & buried as Vista today. They don't have a market.o

If you were equating windows mobile 6.x to vista, would have been an apt comparison.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you'd say that. As I've already pointed out, the 3 largest manufacturers of handsets are releasing more WP units as we speak.
I'm not claiming that WP will be so successful that it overtakes Android. But given that the lifespan of a smartphone is around 2 years, a WP unit will not be any less useful than any other current unit at the end of that period. It's just a smartphone, after all.

And a very smart one at that.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

As if on cue here is yesterday's blockbuster announcement that Intel - formerly the biggest supporter of anything Windows -Intel - is going with Motorola / Google / Android for smartphones. Computer Resellers News article spells it out. Intel going with Android "which puts longtime partner Microsoft and its Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 operating systems in the backseat of Intel's new mobile strategy."

As I said, a couple years and the talk will be how Microsoft could never make it in the non-pc based businesses - especially smartphones & tablets...

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
As if on cue here is yesterday's blockbuster announcement that Intel - formerly the biggest supporter of anything Windows -Intel - is going with Motorola / Google / Android for smartphones. Computer Resellers News article spells it out. Intel going with Android "which puts longtime partner Microsoft and its Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 operating systems in the backseat of Intel's new mobile strategy."

As I said, a couple years and the talk will be how Microsoft could never make it in the non-pc based businesses - especially smartphones & tablets...

That really has little impact on smartphones. Most smartphones use ARM based processors, not x86. Intel's presence in the smartphone market at this point is nearly non-existent. That doesn't mean Intel won't be a major player at some point, but it's going to be a while.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That really has little impact on smartphones. Most smartphones use ARM based processors, not x86. Intel's presence in the smartphone market at this point is nearly non-existent. That doesn't mean Intel won't be a major player at some point, but it's going to be a while.

This is their Atom chip line - nearly universal in tablets and the most powerful smart phones. In combination with a compact OS such as webOS or Android the performance level with low battery drain is fantastic. What it highlights is where the next generation of chips are being optimized for and it sure isn't Windows 8 or whatever comes after. That is the real story as Windows is heavily dependent on chip customization for performance while the popular OS's in the ultra-portable world don't require that.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
You haven't been keeping up with what MS has been doing. They haven't been using Intel for their smartphones and Windows 8 is ARM based, which is a monumental step forward. Intel announcement is a non-story.

persia

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen an atom based tablet. iPad is A5 which is ARM and constitutes 2/3s of the tablet market. All the Android tablets I've seen are running ARM. Intel's Atom pretty much is tied to the dying netbook market....

Intel paid big money for a port of Android to atom but so far it doesn't work on a lot of equipment and it's incompatible with apps that use the ARM chip in most tablets directly.

Intel got cause snoozing on the smartphone/tablet market. It remains to be seen whether they can be a player or not.

This is their Atom chip line - nearly universal in tablets and the most powerful smart phones. In combination with a compact OS such as webOS or Android the performance level with low battery drain is fantastic. What it highlights is where the next generation of chips are being optimized for and it sure isn't Windows 8 or whatever comes after. That is the real story as Windows is heavily dependent on chip customization for performance while the popular OS's in the ultra-portable world don't require that.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You haven't been keeping up with what MS has been doing. They haven't been using Intel for their smartphones and Windows 8 is ARM based, which is a monumental step forward. Intel announcement is a non-story.

Not to those covering CES. The ARM world has also been steadily migrating toward IOS & Android. It is a small minority of manufacturers, and perhaps just as importantly only a couple US carriers, that have even tentatively announced plans to offer Windows phones. It has every earmark of another failed attempt to buy into an existing market already settled on its platform(s). Another Zune in the making - too late to the party with a poor imitation of others innovative products. It worked back in the 70's/80's but things move too fast for them to win with that strategy today.

I have no doubt of where this conversion will stand in 18-24 months. And it won't be the WP world celebrating success. I certainly could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. But I see every clue needed that just like the far superior webOS and other products that were better than the eventual "winner" (not to say Windows phone is better than what is commanding the market, but even if it is it may not matter) WP doesn't seem to have the needed consumer demand (they are more than happy with the "big two") or manufacturer momentum to be a serious player in the marketplace. I know that hurts those that like it & want it to succeed but the chances are extremely slim that it will.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to those covering CES. The ARM world has also been steadily migrating toward IOS & Android. It is a small minority of manufacturers, and perhaps just as importantly only a couple US carriers, that have even tentatively announced plans to offer Windows phones. It has every earmark of another failed attempt to buy into an existing market already settled on its platform(s). Another Zune in the making - too late to the party with a poor imitation of others innovative products. It worked back in the 70's/80's but things move too fast for them to win with that strategy today.

I have no doubt of where this conversion will stand in 18-24 months. And it won't be the WP world celebrating success.

Small minority of manufacturers? Did you even read the article I linked? We're talking Samsung, HTC and Nokia. Who is bigger than those 3 when it comes to handsets?

I get that you don't like Windows. I'm fine with that. But, again with all due respect, you need to become better educated on the mobile device scene. There's no inherent Wintel alliance in the mobile market like there was for desktops. The big CPU manufacturers in the mobile space are Nvidia, Qualcomm, TI and Samsung. Intel is largely an afterthought in smartphones and tablets. Given their size and manufacturing expertise I'm sure that will change, but it's certainly the case now.

I don't know or care (and am not claiming) that WP will be successful. But based on the review of the early devices, I'm open to the possibility of WP being a viable player in the market. MS has openly stated they're targeting 3rd place behind Android and iOS. I think they're cognizant that they aren't going to be supplanting Android at the top.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where the heck is that "Stirring the pot" smilie when you need it? Ahhh, here it is:
stirthepot.gif

John, I generally agree with your comments, and understand your general anti-MS stance, but for heaven's sake, at least let the new product stand on it's own without dredging up anecdotal experience and comparison with outdated versions. A case can be made that your nose is still out of joint over Palm's demise.

The world of technology is littered with superior products that didn't survive the marketplace (Betamax anyone?)

Rather than continuing to espouse that Windows Phone will be gone in 2 years, give MS a chance. The whole mobile information genre will benefit if the 3 titans: MS, Apple, and Google continue to innovate on the shoulders of each other. The consumer benefits through faster, smaller, tighter integration, better reliability, wider coverage, lower cost, and a whole lot of other fronts.

Jim

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Rather than continuing to espouse that Windows Phone will be gone in 2 years, give MS a chance. The whole mobile information genre will benefit if the 3 titans: MS, Apple, and Google continue to innovate on the shoulders of each other. The consumer benefits through faster, smaller, tighter integration, better reliability, wider coverage, lower cost, and a whole lot of other fronts.

And even if (I'd say "when" is more likely) the Windows phone is pulled from the market, it isn't like all those phones will suddenly cease to work.