• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval Leisure Group to buy SVO

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a market matures the total number of companies consolidating into usually (+-)3. Those big three (+ -) will control 80% of all transactions. All others the rest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Interval did sell off one Hyatt vacation club (I think to Welk). .....

I would expect the two umbrellas of Hyatt and SVN to stay separate with perhaps some reciprocity (a la Wyndham/Worldmark) at maybe the 6 month mark or priority within II.

Welk did buy part of the Hyatt Residence Club in Northstar. And they are building out the rest of the property they acquired in the deal.

I would love to see some reciprocity between SVN and Hyatt. Neither has enough locations, but the quality is strong. It would be a nice combination.

It will be interesting to follow and see how things develop.

Mike

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a market matures the total number of companies consolidating into usually (+-)3. Those big three (+ -) will control 80% of all transactions. All others the rest.

I completely understand what you are saying. The Pareto Principle holds that 80% of something is controlled by 20% of the population. Literally in Pareto's case, it was that 80% of land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population.

So what you are trying to say is that 20% of timeshare corporations control 80% of the inventory. Assuming you are referring to II, Wyndham, and DRI, there would be 12 other major systems that control the remainder of the industry. If you wrapped up all independent resorts into a single entity, you might be pretty close. DVC and Marriott are well regarded systems but small in comparison to those three.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welk did buy part of the Hyatt Residence Club in Northstar. And they are building out the rest of the property they acquired in the deal.

I would love to see some reciprocity between SVN and Hyatt. Neither has enough locations, but the quality is strong. It would be a nice combination.

It will be interesting to follow and see how things develop.

Mike

If you use Wyndham's acquisitions of Worldmark and Shell as a benchmark, there is some reciprocity where Wyndham retail owners can book Worldmark (but I don't think it works the other direction), and very little interaction between Wyndham and Shell--It seems that Club Wyndham owns a few intervals in Shell resorts and makes that available to CWP members.

Seeing as II is an Exchange company first, and their Exchange arm makes a profit every time you deposit your Hyatt and trade it for an SVN or vice versa, I don't know what the value would be to the company of introducing reciprocity.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Hilton has it's toe in SFX, that's from memory from another post, you may see one or two high end "boutique" as SFX puts it, build a relationship. Money is cheep, those public companies got to grow. Other western based resorts.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
If Starwood and II are in advanced talks, do you think they can get the deal closed in 2 months ( year's end )?

Hope they maintain the internal trading with star options , by any other name, for all locations , not just the mandatories. At least for year or more. Integrating disparate systems or converting two to a 3rd, if they attempt it, willl take quite awhile....

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would virtually guarantee that you won't see any substantive changes before 2016.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be interested in knowing what this means for Harborside. Harborside is really a joint venture of Starwood and Kerzner, so I wonder if we'll be treated differently than the Westin, Sheraton, and/or Vistana owners.
Jv upfront but now it is run bases on the deeded docs.

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interval did sell off one Hyatt vacation club (I think to Welk). The two in SVN I would be the most concerned about would be Harborside and SDO.

I would expect the two umbrellas of Hyatt and SVN to stay separate with perhaps some reciprocity (a la Wyndham/Worldmark) at maybe the 6 month mark or priority within II.

Personally I would like to see Harborside go to Marriott with ability to enroll in the DC and perhaps better points values especially for summer months.

This also means II will be competing with itself selling retail weeks/points in Maui.

Why do you call out SDO specifically as a concern? Just curious... I get the Harborside concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do you call out SDO specifically as a concern? Just curious... I get the Harborside concern.

I wondered about that too. But I don't own there so I did not mention it.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I called out SDO only because it is in scotsdale along with WKV and may be redundant. On the other hand Orlando is full of SVO and Key West has multiple Hyatts.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I really don't think this would have any impact on the internal StarOptions trading program. I don't recall precedent where timeshare companies took away something that was structural, but would welcome any clarification.

If anything, there might be a date where existing owners are grandfathered in, and any future owners are subject to different rules (this is similar to what Marriott did in June 2010 and Worldmark did in November 2006).

Additionally, we might see a cross-pollination between the different systems, where StarOptions can be used to book Hyatt properties (the leftovers), similar to what Worldmark and Wyndham have done.

I think all of these would be interesting, but the most interesting would be if Starwood deposits to II were returned because it is more lucrative for II to exchanges made via II versus via StarOptions.

We will see -- I'm sure someone is really really mad that confidential merger discussions were leaked that broadly. This is the kind of leak that can cool a deal for a few months. We will see.

Best,

Greg

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I highly doubt this would happen but it would be nice as Starwood owner to be able to have access to some of the Hyatt properties but at this point everything is just a best guess.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, highly doubt this will happen. On the other hand, wouldn't mind using my Hyatt points to access WKORV, WPORV, and WSJ. Doubt this will happen as well...

I highly doubt this would happen but it would be nice as Starwood owner to be able to have access to some of the Hyatt properties but at this point everything is just a best guess.

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called out SDO only because it is in scotsdale along with WKV and may be redundant. On the other hand Orlando is full of SVO and Key West has multiple Hyatts.

Thanks for the response

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

I understand the skepticism, but Wyndham and Worldmark finally developed an exchange between the two systems, and charge a $99 exchange fee. Worldmark owners only get access one month after Wyndham owners, so it would be the same as a Hyatt owner being able to use Hyatt points 7 months from check-in to book Starwood properties.

We all know there's little of value available 7 months out in SVO -- but the capability exists and is a great marketing tool. I would not be surprised to see a similar type of pollination occur.

Of course, they need to do the deal first!!

Best,

Greg

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Something like this might work.

I understand the skepticism, but Wyndham and Worldmark finally developed an exchange between the two systems, and charge a $99 exchange fee. Worldmark owners only get access one month after Wyndham owners, so it would be the same as a Hyatt owner being able to use Hyatt points 7 months from check-in to book Starwood properties.

We all know there's little of value available 7 months out in SVO -- but the capability exists and is a great marketing tool. I would not be surprised to see a similar type of pollination occur.

Best,

Greg

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At a 30,000 ft level, the Interval group owning Starwood timeshare business is a little disquieting. So if sale went thru, Interval (ILG) would have control on the "Starwood" timeshare reservation systems, rules & policies AND the external exchange company with their rules and exchange logic. If you didn't want to use your home resort every year, e,g. primarily use as trader, you still have option to deposit into II. But potentially rules could become much more cohesive towards Interval's benefit & profit. There's less 'competition' per se to keep 'em honest, when it's all under one corporate umbrella.

this is what DavidnRobin and others alluded to in their 'buy where you want to go' posts. Personally I'm good with using my home resort or trading externally to go in shoulder season etc. Hope for the best and plan for the worst ;)

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this works out, I'd like to see a points system in interval. What's stopping me from using Interval is that I have 2 bedroom that I want to split into 1 bedrooms in different locations. I'd have to trade into a 2 bedroom or trade down to a 1 bedroom, without any change.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
At a 30,000 ft level, the Interval group owning Starwood timeshare business is a little disquieting. So if sale went thru, Interval (ILG) would have control on the "Starwood" timeshare reservation systems, rules & policies AND the external exchange company with their rules and exchange logic. If you didn't want to use your home resort every year, e,g. primarily use as trader, you still have option to deposit into II. But potentially rules could become much more cohesive towards Interval's benefit & profit. There's less 'competition' per se to keep 'em honest, when it's all under one corporate umbrella.

this is what DavidnRobin and others alluded to in their 'buy where you want to go' posts. Personally I'm good with using my home resort or trading externally to go in shoulder season etc. Hope for the best and plan for the worst ;)

Wyndham, a bigger timeshare system, owns RCI, a bigger exchange system.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham, a bigger timeshare system, owns RCI, a bigger exchange system.

Yup they're related. they also have higher fees. If this sale goes thru, SVO to ILG, I think II fees will go up eventually.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Best,

Greg

See, I think that would be cool, if we could get a break like the $99 fee…that tome would be a good selling point to the timeshare folks...