• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Imperial Waikiki

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thx, however I just made a HGVC reservation for the Hokulani farther inland on Lewers. Good way to use up my outstanding points.

The Hokulani requires their guests to be Hawaii residents or have completed the 14 day quarantine. I'm glad I called them, and had them verify that a boarding pass is acceptable proof of having passed quarantine. Otherwise we have nothing else as proof. Like others, we never got anything, even an email from the state, letting us know we had officially finished quarantine. They were not staffed or maybe as organized.

Now as of Sept 1, a new Safe Travels app will go in to effect. I don't know details, but heard visitors will get a QR code.

Would be nice if they got some kind of official confirmation after the 14 days.
Hokulani is not that far away from Imperial. It is on the other side of Lewers and at intersection of Kalakaua. Maybe 130 yards away from Imperial.

When we returned from CONUS in July, I did the check in at the arrival gate. The person took my paperwork and called my phone to make sure it worked. I did not get a call, email or any contact from the state during the 14 day quarantine. We did abide by it and had food delivered to us. Just thought it strange that we had no contact regarding the quarantine.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thx, however I just made a HGVC reservation for the Hokulani farther inland on Lewers. Good way to use up my outstanding points.

The Hokulani requires their guests to be Hawaii residents or have completed the 14 day quarantine. I'm glad I called them, and had them verify that a boarding pass is acceptable proof of having passed quarantine. Otherwise we have nothing else as proof. Like others, we never got anything, even an email from the state, letting us know we had officially finished quarantine. They were not staffed or maybe as organized.

Now as of Sept 1, a new Safe Travels app will go in to effect. I don't know details, but heard visitors will get a QR code.

Would be nice if they got some kind of official confirmation after the 14 days.

I read the details it seems if the system works the Hawaii Officials will be able to see that you did complete the 14 day quarantine since it will show your arrival date and todays date. While I believe they will be using it to remind you during your 14 day quarantine period that you need to quarantine, I don't know if it will be or act as the official confirmation that you want and need since logic and customer service is sometimes not a strong point with systems that are set up by computer programers that are not customer service oriententered.

However, with all the rave about this new system it won't do what most visitors want which is a method to avoid the 14 day quarantine.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Oh Jeff, your report and photos make me hope even more that our 2021 late-December trip to Hawaii happens! Thanks!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Oh Jeff, your report and photos make me hope even more that our 2021 late-December trip to Hawaii happens! Thanks!

Mahalo, I hope you can make your trip too. As long as you don’t have to quarantine or if you do, you have some weeks to enjoy afterward, Hawaii is still an awesome place to visit and enjoy. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Mahalo, I hope you can make your trip too. As long as you don’t have to quarantine or if you do, you have some weeks to enjoy afterward, Hawaii is still an awesome place to visit and enjoy. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

If they are still fooling around with the 14 day quarantine for visitors without coming up with a system to get tested before you fly so you don't have to quarantine in December 2021 you won't have to worry about making your trip to the awesome place that Hawaii is. It won't be anything like it was. I have no idea what it will be like but it won't be anything like it was. Already Honolulu is a shell of itself and it has only been 5 months. In another 16 months?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If they are still fooling around with the 14 day quarantine for visitors without coming up with a system to get tested before you fly so you don't have to quarantine in December 2021 you won't have to worry about making your trip to the awesome place that Hawaii is. It won't be anything like it was. I have no idea what it will be like but it won't be anything like it was. Already Honolulu is a shell of itself and it has only been 5 months. In another 16 months?

:D
I didn’t notice the 2021.

When ever it first opens up Honolulu will not be like you remember. It’s going to take a long time to recover but the people and the island are still the here and worth the trip.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, we made the long three block ride home. I’m glad we got our grocery shopping done so now we can relax after our staycation. :D
754C2961-7470-4614-B2D5-6C8A63B69464.jpeg
0EE29658-1D2A-4EFD-BBEC-619AACF039DE.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Imperial is only about three Blocks from our apartment. We live on Ala Wai.:D
I know but did you park at the Imperial or did you take a cab?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know but did you park at the Imperial or did you take a cab?

I had my car at the Imperial because I worked Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

How much is the parking at the Imperial? We are such crazy walkers there is no way we would have brought a car and paid for parking. I am not suggesting that you do what we would have done because I know you roll differently. We certainly believe in the saying "different strokes for different folks" which was restated in a song by the Stylistics in the 70's, "To each his own, that's my philosophy, I don't know what's right for you, you don't know what's right for me".

I am bringing this up to illustrate how we roll and ultimately why we will not be going back to Honolulu for quite sometime since, the way it is now, does not jive with how we roll. The way things are now we actually have considered getting a car in Waikiki if we go back. That would certainly be prohibited in our budget, but we don't think we could exist there the way it is now for months like we usually do without a car.

This is a comparable example since the Wailana, where we own, is approximately the same distance away from the Imperial as your apartment. I know you had luggage and I am sure that the way we pack we would have had more luggage than you did so getting the luggage to the Imperial would have been a challenge. I also know your wife has trouble walking. In addition you might have brought some breakfast or lunch food or snacks from the apartment (certainly we would have). So my husband would have dropped me off with the luggage and food, and then parked the car at the apartment and walked back. When he had to go to work each morning he would walked to the apartment to get the car and then each night parked it there and walked back to the Imperial.

We have been able to afford to vacation on a retirement budget in Honolulu for approxmately 3 years in total nights out of the last 12 years staying in timeshares and never getting a car but walking or using the bus. We have always felt safe walking and taking the bus any time of the day or night and, of course, catching the Coronavirus was not a concern. Things have changed and unfortunately we have to change our path also.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much is the parking at the Imperial? We are such crazy walkers there is no way we would have brought a car and paid for parking. I am not suggesting that you do what we would have done because I know you roll differently. We certainly believe in the saying "different strokes for different folks" which was restated in a song by the Stylistics in the 70's, "To each his own, that's my philosophy, I don't know what's right for you, you don't know what's right for me".

I am bringing this up to illustrate how we roll and ultimately why we will not be going back to Honolulu for quite sometime since, the way it is now, does not jive with how we roll. The way things are now we actually have considered getting a car in Waikiki if we go back. That would certainly be prohibited in our budget, but we don't think we could exist there the way it is now for months like we usually do without a car.

This is a comparable example since the Wailana, where we own, is approximately the same distance away from the Imperial as your apartment. I know you had luggage and I am sure that the way we pack we would have had more luggage than you did so getting the luggage to the Imperial would have been a challenge. I also know your wife has trouble walking. In addition you might have brought some breakfast or lunch food or snacks from the apartment (certainly we would have). So my husband would have dropped me off with the luggage and food, and then parked the car at the apartment and walked back. When he had to go to work each morning he would walked to the apartment to get the car and then each night parked it there and walked back to the Imperial.

We have been able to afford to vacation on a retirement budget in Honolulu for approxmately 3 years in total nights out of the last 12 years staying in timeshares and never getting a car but walking or using the bus. We have always felt safe walking and taking the bus any time of the day or night and, of course, catching the Coronavirus was not a concern. Things have changed and unfortunately we have to change our path also.

I checked our confirmation and parking was $25 a day there. So my plan was similar to what you said but I was going to park the car at the Imperial the days I worked. But, when we checked in they said parking for the week was $100. I don’t know if that was because there wasn’t many people there or if that is what they usually charge. Like I said the confirmation said $25 a day.

Anyway, I was fine with that and just parked it there all week. It was definitely worth the convenience for us to just hop in and go when ever we wanted. We did go to the store and took a ride a couple times. We never did go back to the apartment the whole week. :)

I could have taken the bus to work, I could actually take the bus to work every day but I like the convenience of having the car even though it is expensive. I just renewed my annual registration and it was $383 compared to, I think it was $75 the last time I paid it in Wisconsin.

If I were you, I would definitely get a car and come in the winter. Sure, it will be different than what you are used to but before this last shutdown museum’s were open even the Blue Note was having venues. So I am sure things will be opening up again even if they are limited. You certainly won’t be sitting by your pool in the winter. So even if you didn’t want to go out you can still enjoy the nicer weather.

Before we moved here, I was looking for a used car to buy to keep at our condo on Molokai and I am sure I would have bought one if I was still in Wisconsin. It would have been really convenient. To me that would be worth the extra cost.

If you did come and try having a car, you may find that you enjoy it. You will still probably walk a lot of places. I still do, mostly because parking is a pain but there is a lot to be said for the convenience and freedom of having a car at your disposal. While traffic is a pain, it is still a time saver and you wouldn’t be limited to bus schedules. To me, it would be worth the extra cost to be able to use the condo and enjoy Hawaii even though it is different. Everywhere is different right now anyway. Like you said a different strokes thing.

One thing that I may be changing my thinking about is working and retirement. I really planned on working until 62 and I am really thinking about 60 or sooner. While I could retire now, At 57, I know I will be better off if I work a few more years. But we don’t know what the future will be so we’ll see how it goes.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I checked our confirmation and parking was $25 a day there. So my plan was similar to what you said but I was going to park the car at the Imperial the days I worked. But, when we checked in they said parking for the week was $100. I don’t know if that was because there wasn’t many people there or if that is what they usually charge. Like I said the confirmation said $25 a day.

Anyway, I was fine with that and just parked it there all week. It was definitely worth the convenience for us to just hop in and go when ever we wanted. We did go to the store and took a ride a couple times. We never did go back to the apartment the whole week. :)

I could have taken the bus to work, I could actually take the bus to work every day but I like the convenience of having the car even though it is expensive. I just renewed my annual registration and it was $383 compared to, I think it was $75 the last time I paid it in Wisconsin.

If I were you, I would definitely get a car and come in the winter. Sure, it will be different than what you are used to but before this last shutdown museum’s were open even the Blue Note was having venues. So I am sure things will be opening up again even if they are limited. You certainly won’t be sitting by your pool in the winter. So even if you didn’t want to go out you can still enjoy the nicer weather.

Before we moved here, I was looking for a used car to buy to keep at our condo on Molokai and I am sure I would have bought one if I was still in Wisconsin. It would have been really convenient. To me that would be worth the extra cost.

If you did come and try having a car, you may find that you enjoy it. You will still probably walk a lot of places. I still do, mostly because parking is a pain but there is a lot to be said for the convenience and freedom of having a car at your disposal. While traffic is a pain, it is still a time saver and you wouldn’t be limited to bus schedules. To me, it would be worth the extra cost to be able to use the condo and enjoy Hawaii even though it is different. Everywhere is different right now anyway. Like you said a different strokes thing.

One thing that I may be changing my thinking about is working and retirement. I really planned on working until 62 and I am really thinking about 60 or sooner. While I could retire now, At 57, I know I will be better off if I work a few more years. But we don’t know what the future will be so we’ll see how it goes.

I agree with you about the last paragraph. We retired at 59 and never regretted it. I also agree with you about driving and not taking the bus to work. You would at least double your commuting time and while your working time is very scare. I drove 47 miles each way into
Queens which is a borough of NYC for 12 years which was sat least 1.5 hours each way if there was no rain (2 hours at least in the rain). But it was at least an hour less each way than the (car to the train/train to Queens/Bus to Job trip)

Now for reasons for our not going to Honolulu:

- While we will be shutting the pool down next month and have never spent a winter in New York since we retired in December 2008. We certainly feel safer here than we would in Honolulu and the absence of a car is certainly one of those things. If we moved there and did have a car we would want to bring our newest car with us. However, the way things are right now we don't know if we want to ever move there so we certainly wouldn't want to bring our car. We have lived with cars for over 50 years so we certainly don't need to try out living with a car. It does have its convienience.

- We don't have any bedroom furniture in our condo.

- We are very close on money right now supporting 2 places. We do have the money saved for bedroom furniture but that is it. Therefore we would not want to take on any additional expenditures.

- In the Condo we would have to pass people everytime we left the apartment and the building. Here we never pass people. We either get stuff delivered or we order food on line, drive to Sam's or ShopRite, they bring the food out in a cart to our car, we put it in the car, and drive home. We bring the stuff right into the house all without any contact or being near other people.

- The weather in Honolulu in the winter certainly is attractive. However, what made us love Honolulu was all the stuff we did which included restaurants and live shows. We could but we don't go to restaurants here in NY right now. Going to Honolulu is not worth the risk.

Until there is an effective vaccine we will NOT be going back to Honolulu. As I have said before we are SAFE and happy on Long Island.

would no

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff, I think your strategy about retirement is sound. I'm sure you wake up most work mornings and hear Molokai calling your name on the wind. ;) As long as you have a job that you still enjoy, are being paid well, and where you feel relatively safe vis a vie the virus, I stay stick with it until one of those three things change. And no one's job is ultimately secure these days, so you may face "forced" retirement sooner rather than later. I've had two close friends get laid off recently, one's a young 50s engineer; the other, a tenure-track PhD college professor in her late 30s, who would have gotten tenure at the end of this academic year. So not the "service industry" folks that have been hardest hit. This might be shaping my thinking on your situation somewhat.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with you about the last paragraph. We retired at 59 and never regretted it. I also agree with you about driving and not taking the bus to work. You would at least double your commuting time and while your working time is very scare. I drove 47 miles each way into
Queens which is a borough of NYC for 12 years which was sat least 1.5 hours each way if there was no rain (2 hours at least in the rain). But it was at least an hour less each way than the (car to the train/train to Queens/Bus to Job trip)

Now for reasons for our not going to Honolulu:

- While we will be shutting the pool down next month and have never spent a winter in New York since we retired in December 2008. We certainly feel safer here than we would in Honolulu and the absence of a car is certainly one of those things. If we moved there and did have a car we would want to bring our newest car with us. However, the way things are right now we don't know if we want to ever move there so we certainly wouldn't want to bring our car. We have lived with cars for over 50 years so we certainly don't need to try out living with a car. It does have its convienience.

- We don't have any bedroom furniture in our condo.

- We are very close on money right now supporting 2 places. We do have the money saved for bedroom furniture but that is it. Therefore we would not want to take on any additional expenditures.

- In the Condo we would have to pass people everytime we left the apartment and the building. Here we never pass people. We either get stuff delivered or we order food on line, drive to Sam's or ShopRite, they bring the food out in a cart to our car, we put it in the car, and drive home. We bring the stuff right into the house all without any contact or being near other people.

- The weather in Honolulu in the winter certainly is attractive. However, what made us love Honolulu was all the stuff we did which included restaurants and live shows. We could but we don't go to restaurants here in NY right now. Going to Honolulu is not worth the risk.

Until there is an effective vaccine we will NOT be going back to Honolulu. As I have said before we are SAFE and happy on Long Island.

would no

Yep, A 47 mile each way commute would be a deal breaker for me and I would never even consider it. I know it’s common and I even saw it in rural Wisconsin.

I haven’t talked to much about COVID here on TUG. It’s too much of a personal choice and not a one size fits all. But I am glad we were able to move here and at least live a year where we dreamed of being. Who knows what the future holds so we’re enjoying every part of now.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My approach is similar to @amycurl. My DH is 61 and I am in my late 50s. After many years in private industry, I have been embarking on a "next stage" career in higher ed. The work is intellectually stimulating and I enjoy the camaraderie.

My DH and I can afford to retire as soon as our youngest graduates college next year. Once the job isn't fun anymore, or my DH is forced to retire and he wants to travel more. I will retire too. Spending weeks/months in Hawaii is on my bucket list when we retire.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, I think your strategy about retirement is sound. I'm sure you wake up most work mornings and hear Molokai calling your name on the wind. ;) As long as you have a job that you still enjoy, are being paid well, and where you feel relatively safe vis a vie the virus, I stay stick with it until one of those three things change. And no one's job is ultimately secure these days, so you may face "forced" retirement sooner rather than later. I've had two close friends get laid off recently, one's a young 50s engineer; the other, a tenure-track PhD college professor in her late 30s, who would have gotten tenure at the end of this academic year. So not the "service industry" folks that have been hardest hit. This might be shaping my thinking on your situation somewhat.

Yes, I have heard Molokai calling my name since we bought the condo. :D

And not to make light of anyone’s situation but I am not lucky enough to get the “forced retirement “. They would pretty much have to close the whole Hawaii region for them to eliminate my job. Our corporation just went through a large regionalization and many local Presidents and VP’s have lost their jobs. I am sure there are more to come but my department when through that last year already. The company has a standard severance package for these things and if it happened to me, I would take it and run.:D

While it still wouldn’t be perfect, it would be enough for me to call it quits. We can actually live pretty reasonably, even here in Hawaii. Most of the activities we enjoy are free or practically free.

I have never been much of a worrier and I’m not into second guessing myself or even looking back and seeing what if. So for right now I am just going to ride things out and see where the things I can’t control take us.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My approach is similar to @amycurl. My DH is 61 and I am in my late 50s. After many years in private industry, I have been embarking on a "next stage" career in higher ed. The work is intellectually stimulating and I enjoy the camaraderie.

My DH and I can afford to retire as soon as our youngest graduates college next year. Once the job isn't fun anymore, or my DH is forced to retire and he wants to travel more. I will retire too. Spending weeks/months in Hawaii is on my bucket list when we retire.

You two have a plan and I hope it pans out for you. We’ll have to meet up here in Hawaii when you are traveling again.:thumbup:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yes, I have heard Molokai calling my name since we bought the condo. :D

And not to make light of anyone’s situation but I am not lucky enough to get the “forced retirement “. They would pretty much have to close the whole Hawaii region for them to eliminate my job. Our corporation just went through a large regionalization and many local Presidents and VP’s have lost their jobs. I am sure there are more to come but my department when through that last year already. The company has a standard severance package for these things and if it happened to me, I would take it and run.:D

While it still wouldn’t be perfect, it would be enough for me to call it quits. We can actually live pretty reasonably, even here in Hawaii. Most of the activities we enjoy are free or practically free.

I have never been much of a worrier and I’m not into second guessing myself or even looking back and seeing what if. So for right now I am just going to ride things out and see where the things I can’t control take us.

That’s the attitude @slip. Reading your posts over the long haul tells me you are very astute. Why?
1. You took a dream and made it reality (move from WI to HI)
2. You bought a lovely but modest condo in Molokai. You did your homework and didn’t break the bank which is easy to do in HI.
3. You transferred your job to your preferred locale.

4. You work in a multinational food business. Good choice. The entire economy could go down and folks will ALWAYS need to eat regardless...

And..

I know, based on your past moves, your next move will also work well regardless of what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s the attitude @slip. Reading your posts over the long haul tells me you are very astute. Why?
1. You took a dream and made it reality (move from WI to HI)
2. You bought a lovely but modest condo in Molokai. You did your homework and didn’t break the bank which is easy to do in HI.
3. You transferred your job to your preferred locale.

4. You work in a multinational food business. Good choice. The entire economy could go down and folks will ALWAYS need to eat regardless...

And..

I know, based on your past moves, your next move will also work well regardless of what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mahalo for the kind words. I wish I could take credit for it all but I have been very lucky over my life also. Sometimes things just fall into place.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, A 47 mile each way commute would be a deal breaker for me and I would never even consider it. I know it’s common and I even saw it in rural Wisconsin.

I haven’t talked to much about COVID here on TUG. It’s too much of a personal choice and not a one size fits all. But I am glad we were able to move here and at least live a year where we dreamed of being. Who knows what the future holds so we’re enjoying every part of now.

The 47 mile commute each way, though uncomfortable, wasn't a deal breaker. It was a door to door commute from my driveway to a reserved parking spot for free right next to my building. That is rare in New York City. I brought it up to make the point that you are totally correct to drive to work rather than take the bus. NOTHING is more convenient and a faster total commute time than a car if you can park right where you want to for free. That is one of the reasons that I feel that the rail is ridiculous in Honolulu as long as there is parking for free or low cost. New York City Parking is at least $50/day or thousands a month. Most people can't afford that kind of parking so they take the train.

I respect and appreciate your COVID position. I will state my position and fears about the virus, but not give advice. We are over 70 with some respiratory concerns so that staying safe if imperative. Endangering ourselves for something that we no longer feel is paradise is certainly not worth it. As things change significantly we will revisit our decision. Our focus is on Fall 2021 right now even though we know it won't be the same as it was, hopefully it will be in a recovery stage and there will be a vaccine.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
I remember right after 9/11 people semi-stranded stayed at the Imperial and some said they bought a timeshare there too as it was not at all expensive.
I think its lease or similar expires in twenty years so?

Last edited:

JulieJulie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai

Hi Slip,

Thank you for all of the information/postings on the Imperial. I read through and didn't see an answer to what I am wondering. I was just offered a two bedroom at Imperial for next February (2022). Do you know if all of the units have a lanai that you can sit on? And do they all have a little but of ocean view? Or are some city view? Normally when we go to Hawaii we book oceanfront but with an exchange that is a lot more difficult to do. I think as long as I am guaranteed a lanai I will be happy.