• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I just couldn't help myself on this DSV auction.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last night I was browsing eBay and found this auction about to close. I scrambled to read as much as possible about it before placing my bid. I placed a "LOW BALL" bid and ended up the winner. YIKES! :eek:

I won a platinum 2BR at Marriott Desert Springs Villas II for $3452! I have been watching DSV for a while now and believe that this is almost a no-loose situation (some Tuggers won't agree). These DSV II weeks were selling for $8K only 4-5 months ago. The seller was 43namal who seems to have a history of good dealings with Tuggers. :D

I now hope I can get them to try and book a week 51 or 52 for me. I'll keep you updated.

Terry

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Way to go!

Awesome price - from all I hear, these are great traders too. Congratulations. Funtime

Bill4728

Reaction score
Congrats!!

What a deal, as you said these red weeks at DSV ( platinum at other MVCI resorts) were selling for ~$10K 6 months ago. So picking one up for $3500 is great.

I just can't bring myself to add to my 5 weeks of TS I already have.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
I was wathcing that auction, somehow it didn't register that this was a Platinum week! I thought it was a Gold.
Wow, what a great deal for a Plat.!!!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
I think this one may even be pushing Marriott's limit. We shall see.

Terry

This will be a good one to watch for ROFR. Please let us know.

Merry Christmas !

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry,

Congrats. Someone mentioned that I should look for such a deal. Do you know if a) it's a lock off unit and b) if winter weeks rent for more than MF and c) how good of a trader is it?

If so, I think this meets the criteria I set out earlier on when to buy. I'd like to track the theory to see how it plays out.

Just think of it in terms of the underlying real estate value. At $3452, that's an equivalent whole condo value of $180k. It would be interesting to see what whole condos sell for in the area. If it is singificantly higher than $180k, that may provide a price floor for your timeshare.

Jim

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I think this one may even be pushing Marriott's limit. We shall see.

Terry

I really doubt the purchase price is a criteria for Marriott's current ROFR policy. I think it is more an inventory policy decision and also a cash flow situation as, I believe, any units that Marriott reclaims, they are responsible for the MFs to the HOA as long as they remain unsold in Marriott's inventory.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry,

... Do you know if a) it's a lock off unit and b) if winter weeks rent for more than MF and c) how good of a trader is it? .....

Jim

Yes & Yes & I hope very good.

It is a lock-off.
I scrambled last night to make sure that the asking prices for platinum rental weeks on Redweek were well above the MF's. They currently are.

Interval International is still offering AC's for DSV II deposits thru May 20 and will most likely do so for the fall '09 weeks soon. Historically every month except the hottest summer months get AC's.

Terry

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes & Yes & I hope very good.

It is a lock-off.
I scrambled last night to make sure that the asking prices for platinum rental weeks on Redweek were well above the MF's. They currently are.

Interval International is still offering AC's for DSV II deposits thru May 20 and will most likely do so for the fall '09 weeks soon. Historically every month except the hottest summer months get AC's.

Terry

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. I think we have a winner.

There are certainly risks with the purchase. However, the upside seems to far outweight the downside which suggests that the odds are in your favor for a great future outcome.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Wow

Great deal. Hope it gets through Marriott.

The only negative lately with these is it takes too long to get in the Marriott system once deed in recorded.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Congrats! That one winked at me too, but since I decided to buy something I know I'd use at least some of the time I decided to pass. I found it curious that there was no last minute activity, and when I saw there was only one lone bidder at the end I was wondering if it might have been someone from here.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Great deal Terry....
Last year I rented out my one bedroom at DSV I for $1500...and could have gotten more....

If you did nothing but rent it out you will get an excellent return on your money.

JBRES1

TUG Member
Reaction score
DSV2 week

Great buy.

A 2 bdr platinum week for under 4k is really good.
I love the resort, and the area during the spring.
Please keep up advised if it passes the ROFR

Jim Breslin

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
This is a great resort - we drove there for lunch when we were in SoCal in November....ya done GOOD!

taffy19

Reaction score
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. I think we have a winner.

There are certainly risks with the purchase. However, the upside seems to far outweight the downside which suggests that the odds are in your favor for a great future outcome.
Didn't I tell you, Boca? They used to rent easily at $300 a night which was a bargain next to what the Marriott was charging. They were posted even higher than that. I don't know about today but I still got several inquiries this year for the Christmas and New Year's Eve week. They rent very well too in Jan/Feb/Mar. I referred them to Red Week and TUG.

PS. It is an excellent trader too. :)

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Last night I was browsing eBay and found this auction about to close. I scrambled to read as much as possible about it before placing my bid. I placed a "LOW BALL" bid and ended up the winner. YIKES! :eek:

I won a platinum 2BR at Marriott Desert Springs Villas II for $3452! I have been watching DSV for a while now and believe that this is almost a no-loose situation (some Tuggers won't agree). These DSV II weeks were selling for $8K only 4-5 months ago. The seller was 43namal who seems to have a history of good dealings with Tuggers. :D

I now hope I can get them to try and book a week 51 or 52 for me. I'll keep you updated.

Terry
Congratulations, Terry. Nice buy and resort! I hope you will use it too ;) as the desert is so nice that time of the year.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Terry. Nice buy and resort! I hope you will use it too ;) as the desert is so nice that time of the year.

Emmy,
I have researched, watched eBay, called II and researched some more about DSV I & II. Two weeks ago we spent a week in Phoenix and absolutely loved the weather. I hope the CA desert is as nice. That vistit to AZ was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back - if you will.

I can only imagine alternating winters between Beachplace and DSV II and then every-other-summer to Hawaii. I envision using off years and studios as rentals to end up with what ammounts to MF free vacations.

I hope this pans out the way I envision. :)

Terry

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't I tell you, Boca? They used to rent easily at $300 a night which was a bargain next to what the Marriott was charging. They were posted even higher than that. I don't know about today but I still got several inquiries this year for the Christmas and New Year's Eve week. They rent very well too in Jan/Feb/Mar. I referred them to Red Week and TUG.

PS. It is an excellent trader too. :)

Yes, you did. I'll have to look for one for myself. Thanks.

taffy19

Reaction score
Real Estate Taxes for timeshares in CA

Terry and Jim, :)

The RE taxes are billed separately from the maintenance fees in California and if you feel that they are too high because they are assessed on the Marriott original sales prices, you can have them reassessed by going to this link here. Look under Assessment Appeals almost at the bottom of the page.

You can do the same in all counties as we have had success in Orange County too with some timeshares.

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Terry and Jim, :)

The RE taxes are billed separately from the maintenance fees in California and if you feel that they are too high because they are assessed on the Marriott original sales prices, you can have them reassessed by going to this link here. Look under Assessment Appeals almost at the bottom of the page.

You can do the same in all counties as we have had success in Orange County too with some timeshares.

Thanks for the info.
I just printed out the form and will submit it to Riverside Co. after we close on our DSV II - Gold....
Of course now wishing I'd held out for a Platinum!:wave:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that this DSV II unit DID pass ROFR last week. I really had my doubts on this one. Obviously Marriott won't take back a good unit at any price if they don't have a buyer lined out. :D

P.S. - The owners locked off and booked for me weeks 51 & 52 for 2009. Nice!

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear your deal is going well. (Especially because I am now in the middle of a deal with same seller.)