• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Ian Florida Resort Updates thread!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Here is the letter from HGVC to the Sanibel/Captiva/Fort Meyers owners.

These are affiliate resorts that are completely owned by the owners. These weeks do not have to be enrolled into the HGVC system and, in fact most are not. I wonder if some of these resorts will not be reopened. Someone above states that Casa Ybel is demolished and I wonder if the board will rebuild or sell the property?

If Casa Ybel (or other Sanibel resorts) rebuilds, it'd be nice
if they installed some elevators and an ADA unit or two.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Mold is a huge problem. I can’t imagine that most people are able to remediate in time.

After the Storm, the Mold: Warming Is Worsening Another Costly Disaster

Mold in homes is a costly crisis that often accompanies hurricanes and flooding, and climate change is amplifying the rain that feeds outbreaks.

On Tuesday morning, six days after Hurricane Ian tore through southwestern Florida, Alvaro “Moe” Zuluaga and his team of mold remediators walked through a house in Naples. The walls were cheerfully painted in sunny yellows and palm greens, and beyond a suspiciously musty smell there was little immediate sign that just days before, the entire home had been sitting in a foot of floodwater.

But on closer inspection, the baseboards were swollen. And there was a visible patch of mold in a single shoe.

If you don’t act right away, the mold will cover everything,” he said.

In 20 years as a mold remediator in South Florida, Mr. Zuluaga has seen many houses where people didn’t act, and mold choked the houses from top to floor, settling on clothing and bedding and spreading through ductwork…

Mold may be one of the most devastating, long-term and hidden costs of America’s increasingly humid, wet and stormy climate.

And while the extent of America’s mold problem is difficult to assess, there is consensus that climate change and more intense heat, rainfall and flooding — three key ingredients in a mold outbreak — are heightening the risk. There is relatively little publicly available data around mold rates, although there is robust scientific data that mold poses serious health risks from inhaling spores in the air….

….For mold remediation, immediate action is critical. The moment the waters recede or the rains stop, the clock starts. It can take only 24 hours for mold to take root. By the 72-hour mark, it’s too late. Any saturated porous or semi-porous surface — a bed, the kitchen cabinets — that hasn’t been treated has to go….

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Casa Ybel (or other Sanibel resorts) rebuilds, it'd be nice
if they installed some elevators and an ADA unit or two.

I don't think these resorts will even have the option not to install elevators (depending on how extensive the damage is).

Current national codes call for accessibility on new construction of commercial or residential apartments, timeshares, or condominiums. And this code may also apply to substantially damaged property that needs extensive rebuilding.

Besides elevators, stilts may also be required in the rebuilding process (for those buildings previously at ground level).

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think these resorts will even have the option not to install elevators (depending on how extensive the damage is).

Current national codes call for accessibility on new construction of commercial or residential apartments, timeshares, or condominiums. And this code may also apply to substantially damaged property that needs extensive rebuilding.

Besides elevators, stilts may also be required in the rebuilding process (for those buildings previously at ground level).

To keep flood insurance costs low, our town has agreed to special fema guidelines.

All new construction must be 15 feet above sea level.

When we bought our house in 2009 we were above 12 feet so no flood insurance was required then. That was changed to 13 feet and it's now required if mortgaged.

Also this serious restriction was added.
Over the previous 10 years, no more than a total of 50% of the appraised house value can be spent on the house except for repairs such as roof shingles.
This means that if someone has a house valued at $400,000 and they spent $100,000 over the past 10 years on a new kitchen and baths, if they have over $100,000 storm or fire damage, the house has to be rebuilt at 15 feet on pilings with breakout walls. Only vehicles and yard tools can be stored under the house.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
To keep flood insurance costs low, our town has agreed to special fema guidelines.

All new construction must be 15 feet above sea level.

When we bought our house in 2009 we were above 12 feet so no flood insurance was required then. That was changed to 13 feet and it's now required if mortgaged.

Also this serious restriction was added.
Over the previous 10 years, no more than a total of 50% of the appraised house value can be spent on the house except for repairs such as roof shingles.
This means that if someone has a house valued at $400,000 and they spent $100,000 over the past 10 years on a new kitchen and baths, if they have over $100,000 storm or fire damage, the house has to be rebuilt at 15 feet on pilings with breakout walls. Only vehicles and yard tools can be stored under the house.
And honestly, that is what needs to happen in areas that are hit with disasters -- update the building codes such that future disasters (they always happen, no stopping them) won't have as much of an impact. Part of the reason that Sanibel and Ft. Myers Beach were hit so hard is that they had more relatively older construction. Heck, there were even trailer parks only a few feet above sea level on some of those barrier islands / peninsulas! Those should have long been relocated, as they were a disaster just waiting to happen.

Kurt

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
appears they are getting roads repaired/passable in record time! good news for residents!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We live Tamarac, Florida. It's 12 miles inland from the Wyndham Pompano Beach resorts. Homeowners insurance rates are high in southeast Florida. The Keys are the only area I know of with higher rates. In this area if you live west of I-95 the rates drop and they drop more if you live west of the turnpike. When we bought our place in 2011 a lot of insurance companies weren't selling homeowners insurance so our options were limited. Early last year I read an article about more insurance companies are now selling homeowners insurance in Florida and found a company through Allstate that cut what we'd been paying in half. This year the annual renewal in March was $2621.07 for a just under 1200 square foot under air patio home with a one car attached garage and small walled in lanais front and back. Our development of 146 homes was built 1985-1987, is bordered on one side by a canal and has never had flooding nor any significant storm damage even with Andrew, Wilma and Irma. But our homeowners insurance is still more than our property taxes and we live west of the turnpike so are in the lowest rate area!

Our flood insurance was $648 when we renewed it in March. In 2021 it was $572 and $504 in 2020. Prior to that it had been $438-$450 for 9 years. A few years ago they did a reevaluation of flood zone plans and our development is in lowest risk area. Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas get flooding with the king tides so I'm guessing that's why our flood insurance rates have been going up.

Homeowners on the west coast of Florida can expect to see their homeowners insurance rates go up and probably the flood insurance too. Florida residents can expect to see a drop in the number of insurance companies offering homeowners insurance in Florida.

Is your flood insurance $648 a year or $2621 a year? I got confused.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I heard Hurricane Ian was the worst Hurricane in 87 years!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard Hurricane Ian was the worst Hurricane in 87 years!

In terms of damage in Florida it may have been, however Hurricane Katrina did massive damage in New Orleans back in 2005 and caused over 1,800 deaths.

It took them years to recover in Louisiana and some would argue that they still aren't fully recovered 17 years later.........

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In terms of damage in Florida it may have been, however Hurricane Katrina did massive damage in New Orleans back in 2005 and caused over 1,800 deaths.

It took them years to recover in Louisiana and some would argue that they still aren't fully recovered 17 years later.........

I went to the Sugar Bowl in 2011 so 5.5 years after Hurricane Katrina and there were still buildings where you could see the water line and the red spray paint on the outside indicating how many bodies were found inside. It was a chilling site to see, especially so many years later. Also driving in on I-10 from Mississippi there were still overhead sites that were over the old interstate that was washed away- that was bizarre too. I assume they took them down at some point after that.

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charlotte Bay Resort - I spoke to the front desk today and I asked about damage. I was told that many of the shingles on the roof will need replacing as well all of the air condition units located on the roof. There was a fence blown down near the swimming pool and the soffit was damaged in several places. There was also water damage in one unit. Pretty good news considering its location. Part of the resort near the water was destroyed by Hurricane Charley in 2004 and was never rebuilt and the person said at the front desk that this was nothing like t hat.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received a text today about Marriott Crystal Shores. They expect the resort to be open and operational by November. I realize it is a little vague. They did ask for our reservation arrival date, name on reservation, and confirmation number.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oct. 15th - Travel Advisory for RCI® Subscribing Members: Update from RCI online

Hurricane Ian - Florida Impact: The safety and well-being of our members and affiliates is always our top priority. The devastating effects of Hurricane Ian impacted Florida residents, businesses, and many of our resort partners. We continue to receive updates from our resort partners and are working diligently to reach all of our members and resort owners whose travel plans have been impacted. Due to this event, resort availability throughout many areas in Florida, especially coastal areas, may be disrupted for some time.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
We have a condo in Naples, we pay $841
We live on Marco and just paid $1280 for flood insurance. This is less than we paid in Louisiana after we had two claims. It was about $2000 a year.

We are in the center of the island near the Elementary School, so about 1.7 miles from the beach. We got about a 6.5 ft storm surge. We had about 2" inches of water line on our garage door, but the floor of the garage is 6.4 ft. House is 8.1 ft. No water in the house. More water damage than Irma, but a bit less wind damage than Irma (pretty much all the roofs are intact this time). We moved to Marco six weeks before Irma hit and we evacuated. They were saying 20 foot storm surge was expected. We got no water on our street at all. This time the storm surge estimates were lal over the place. Looking at the NHC storm surge info, we should have expected about 1-3'. They were reporting 3-6' for days/hours before the storm. The day the storm hit, they announced 6-9', then over 12'. By that time it was too late to evacuate because Collier Blvd on the mainland between Hammock Bay and Fiddlers Creek was underwater. The surge hit at high tide, so that is what brought us the 6.5'. We stood on our front porch watching the river go by our house on our street. When it got to the front steps (with all the front yards covered with water), I got worried. But shortly after than it started receding, so we got no water in the house. People in the older houses not built to Miami-Dade specs were not so lucky (lots of the Deltona houses especially) and got flooded, but not ceiling height, just a foot or two. But as we learned in Louisiana, an inch is all it takes to soak up in the sheetrock, ruin carpets, pop up the floors.

Some of the businesses on Marco got flooded, so they are still closed and will be for weeks or months. Walgreens at San Marco and S Barfield will be closed a couple of months.

Lots of dead landscaping, including uprooted shrubs and bushes.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Oct. 15th - Travel Advisory for RCI Subscribing Members: Update from RCI online
Hurricane Ian - Florida Impact: The safety and well-being of our members and affiliates is always our top priority....

I nearly spewed coffee on my keyboard. It took them 2 weeks to come up with this blather.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"After a walloping by Hurricane Ian, South Seas Island Resort on Captiva is laying off nearly 240 employees.

"In a notice to the state, Marsha Michael, the resort's director of human resources, said the damages from Ian are severe, resulting in the 'cessation' of operations 'for the foreseeable future.' "

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Prophetic
last year we went to shell island beach club, last week of October. It was really difficult and I said, on here, that I thought it would be our last year. Since I only exchanged into Sanibel, Naples or Marco I undoubtedly saw into the future. Wish I could predict the stock market too.