• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How/why/where did you decide to move if not job related?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
for pre-retirement (soon to be full time) home, we did some research, DH wanted to be on East coast in coastal area-Va Beach was as far North for DH due to water temps, NC/SC border was as far South for me. DH likes golf, boating, fishing. I wanted social--so lots of clubs. Both wanted access to beach, but didn't need to be at the beach. Our place has a community beach cabana, pool, parking. Perfect for us! We ended up in a planned golf community about 30 minutes S of Wilmington NC. Love it!
I read a study that for adult kids, one needs to be a day's drive away to keep visiting more than 1-2X/year. And 6-8 hours was the max drive time, as they can do a long weekend, etc. When they have kids, paying to fly and the hassle limits trips. We have 4 kids-all likely to stay in DC area or VA, about a 6 hour drive away. We assumed we'd downsize, but got a great deal on a larger house--so we upsized--yikes! One of my hobbies will be cleaning bathrooms, I guess.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did move once for a job, from southern California to northern California.

When dh and I started thinking about retirement we also started thinking about moving. We were living in the San Francisco Bay Area in a very large house, with 2 daughters. We knew we didn't want a house that large any more, and dh didn't want the upkeep of a pool. We also wanted to move out of the Bay Area as it had gotten so crowded. So we started looking. Every time we'd take a trip we'd scope out the area to see if it interested us.

Carmel area - love it, but WAY too expensive, and a bit limited
San Diego - another love it, but too expensive and their traffic was as bad as ours at times
Pismo Beach - too limited
Big Island Hawaii - yes, yes, yes! This was going to be it. We thought we'd like the Puna area. After awhile I realized that I couldn't live on an island, and that there really wasn't enough to keep us occupied and stimulated. Good thing we didn't end up there, as the area we were interested in is one that got wiped out with a recent volcano flow.
Santa Fe - hmmmm, very interesting. First place I've been where there is snow that I think I could live. We visited here over Thanksgiving vacations for several years after sil and bil moved here. Then dh and I came for 2 weeks in 2011, and back for one week in 2012. We saw, we bought, and we moved there in November. Dh's last day on his job was November 15 and we were on the road on the 16th. I worked remotely through the end of the year as it was better if I worked the entire year for my pension.

We love it here, ended up in a great neighborhood, with fantastic neighbors. So much to do, so much beauty around us. And no where near the traffic. :D

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Our search was detailed in this old post:

geekette

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I'm considering this, not sure why I shouldn't. My life was put in the spin cycle a few years ago, so, all options have been on the table.

A friend bought 30+ acres in mountainous wilderness and is building a camp. She is seeking like minded people that want to live off grid. I have visited twice and really dig it. No other homesteaders yet. The first strip of land she cleared gets a wonderful path of moonlight from the driveway to the yurt set back farther. Peaceful and lovely. I think there is also a colonial tent set up by now, too. Permanent structures built atop their own platforms with decks, etc. There will next be a teepee. I don't know what's after that. I'd like to build Sunrise Coffee Bar, something up the hill high enough to enjoy sunrise over the mountains. Meditation Gardens is on my list, too. I have too many ideas...

I could live there free of charge, would need to find my own way to support myself. For at least a while, until she gets bookings, there are places to sleep. I would probably build my own "home" eventually and possibly create my own driveway entrance. Solar is there, I'd need to buy some panels to accommodate my usage, no well yet (probably this fall). Bathroom facility primitive, but very very nice!

She needs a farmer. I can absolutely grow food, I am actually very good at it. I can also cook and prefer to cook for two vs just myself. She doesn't want to mess with either of these things, so it's a perfect match on that. She is more handy, designing and building the this and the that. She does really good work, too. I've been very impressed. We get along really well, see many things the same, and when we don't, it's easy disagreement with no anger or disrespect. I like peaceful laid back people, because I'm one. She is similar also in that she doesn't need people around all the time. I have learned during Pandemic that I really am part hermit, some of that may be from working since I was 15, having to leave home most every Monday through Friday of my life, and far too many Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. Staying Home still feels like a novelty....

As I've been working on my veggie season here, I have been exploding with ideas. I never seem to have enough garden space, but with 30 acres, that wouldn't be a problem. I'd like a big greenhouse to try hot house flowers as well, but mostly want a convenient place to start plants without pests nibbling; an environment I could control. I do think I could grow enough food to supply the camp and its visitors plus sell. With just tomatoes, watermelons and pumpkins, I could make my seed money back many times (zero market research, just figuring I could rent pavement most any time to push veggies if not enough drive-by, but honestly hoping to make enough $ to donate plenty of food - I don't expect hunger problems to go away any time soon - there is need most everywhere).

I am part Nature Girl, get that from my mother. I would miss my animal visitors here Only part of the year here is outdoor weather. Would I miss change of season? Would I get annoyed at "having to" garden almost all the time? Would I miss being in a city? I tried a small town once, when I was young. Hated it, but, the situation was far different. It was also a little house smack bang in the middle of things, plus I was on the radio so not quite a private citizen, and this would definitely not be any of that.

I am just wacky enough to sell everything and hot foot it down to middle of nowhere. How much simplifying can I really handle, tho??

I don't know. I don't have answers to any of it. I'm not sure that "I'm Done Here." I don't have family right here, Mom is a few hours up the road but now my brother lives up there (trucker now). My friends would travel, most of our communication isn't in person anyhow. It would be hard to leave the dance studio, but, it's an expense and never income.

I like my house, I like my land, it's very private. I know how difficult it would be to replace that. Except, hello, 30 acres... Just, if it doesn't work out, I might be missing this exact slice of land and this city...

Originally, I told her, I am not likely to relocate. What a difference a year makes ...

Now I'm thinking of building my first crude cabin that eventually becomes the craft shack, taking my time on whatever residence I'll have. There is something about that massive blank canvas that is very appealling to me. In some ways, I have always wanted to do this. Live simply, inexpensively, live off the land and from my own toils and creativity. Hopefully not need a job, but, not a big deal if I gotta do that.

I am still young enough to enjoy building out the camp. I think it would be a lot of fun. Hard work, yes, but that's good for me, and will keep me young. I think it would be fun to co-host when campers come.

I will just keep on stumbling forward, see how the next visit goes, how badly I don't want to come home... and take my time on deciding what I want to do. Camp isn't going anywhere and so far no other homesteaders.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just as 9/11 caused friends of ours in NYC to re-evaluate their lives (and some made radical moves then). Covid 19 is doing the same. Who would have thought in January that we'd have altered life so much in just a few months? DH's Dad had a stroke at 43, so we've always had a bit of a carpe diem mind set, traveling abroad with kids, etc.

geekette

Reaction score
Just as 9/11 caused friends of ours in NYC to re-evaluate their lives (and some made radical moves then). Covid 19 is doing the same. Who would have thought in January that we'd have altered life so much in just a few months? DH's Dad had a stroke at 43, so we've always had a bit of a carpe diem mind set, traveling abroad with kids, etc.
Yeah, things happen, life plans are re-evaluated.

I was on track to retire the day I turned 59.5 but life retired me earlier. Now, I don't think I could again manage the ridiculous stress and pressure cooker nature of my work. My last burnout is still not healed. I kept being a reformed workaholic, but this time, I think my stint "in rehab" is going to stick. I don't want the old ways back.

For me it is an easy choice to reduce expenses in order to not need as much income. I don't get too bunched up over "the number", I am an income/outgo person. I can live cheap and pandemic brought more cost cutting but I know how to do that!

Yes, life is for living. Right now, I have Today.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I moved into a CCRC right after my retirement at age 66 (note that the average age of move ins at my CCRC is 83). Why did I do this? Two reasons. First, I had the money for the front end fee and figured I would piss it away if I waited until I was in my 80s. Second, I wanted to relieve my kids of having to find me a place when I got so old I couldn't handle my own affairs. In retrospect it turned out to be a great financial decision. My front end fee 20 years ago was $65,000. Today the front end fee for a similar Apartment is between $350,000 and $500,000. In addition although my monthly fee has grown from $1,550 to $2,600 due to annual increases the fee if I moved in today would be between $4,500 and $5,000. Not smart. Just dumb luck...

George

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
A friend bought 30+ acres in mountainous wilderness and is building a camp. She is seeking like minded people that want to live off grid.
Seems like that might be an ideal use for one of those "tiny homes". Very efficient (for solar power), and would be a turn-key setup. Then if you later decided that the life in the wilderness is not for you, or if you want to stay and build a real cabin, you could just wheel it away and sell it.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For us, we are planning on getting a second home in Florida, probably Naples area, and become snowbirds. We love Colorado too much to move away, but would like to spend winters somewhere warmer. Probably 4-5 years down the road yet, but we are keeping our eye on SW Florida real estate to take advantage of any short-term price reductions.

Kurt

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Probably 4-5 years down the road yet, but we are keeping our eye on SW Florida real estate to take advantage of any short-term price reductions.
my coworker and his brother got rock bottom foreclosures in Naples after 2008 market crash. They're quite savvy--we had one short sell fall thru in NC and were done.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
my coworker and his brother got rock bottom foreclosures in Naples after 2008 market crash. They're quite savvy--we had one short sell fall thru in NC and were done.
Yes, I wish we would have been closer to retirement age after the 2008 crash, but it was just too far away at that time. Some people got a great deal on FL real estate during that time!

Kurt

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We moved from Wisconsin to Hawaii last year on a job transfer. But I was seeking out the transfer to Hawaii. I wouldn’t have moved anywhere else.

Because of our many travels to the islands over the years, we decided we wanted to retire there about three years ago. We bought a condo two years ago.

One thing I saw mentioned in another thread was the only thing I really wondered about. Would living there not make it special anymore. It’s something that can really only be answered over time. So far, one year in and we love living here. Our expectations have been right on and we couldn't be happier.

Our move happened very quickly and it may have seemed that it was a quick decision from the outside but we had been talking about it for years and we were slowly putting ourselves in position to make it happen. We basically moved our plans up by about 5 years. It happened so fast, that we’re we’re barely ready to make it happen but it worked out.

Now, will we live out our lives here? That’s the plan and we are enjoying everything right now but life changes so we’ll just have to wait and see. But right now, we are so glad we made one of the biggest changes in our married lives.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
As a young couple in the housing boom of the early 2000’s, we moved to where we could afford to buy at the time. When we were finally in a position to move closer, the recession of ‘08 hit and we stayed where we are at. Since our kids are getting older and won’t need the room in the next few years, we will stay here until we can’t care for the house anymore.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
One of the observations about New York that really stayed with me was how remote one can be in upstate New York. I knew the entire state was NOT NYC, Buffalo, etc. but the utter remoteness that New York becomes as one gets closer to the Canadian border is so attractive and beautiful.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Yeah, things happen, life plans are re-evaluated.

I was on track to retire the day I turned 59.5 but life retired me earlier. Now, I don't think I could again manage the ridiculous stress and pressure cooker nature of my work. My last burnout is still not healed. I kept being a reformed workaholic, but this time, I think my stint "in rehab" is going to stick. I don't want the old ways back.

For me it is an easy choice to reduce expenses in order to not need as much income. I don't get too bunched up over "the number", I am an income/outgo person. I can live cheap and pandemic brought more cost cutting but I know how to do that!

Yes, life is for living. Right now, I have Today.
Good for you @geekette!
I feel a lot of what you describe here as a layoff opened wounds that have truly never healed.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I moved into a CCRC right after my retirement at age 66 (note that the average age of move ins at my CCRC is 83). Why did I do this? Two reasons. First, I had the money for the front end fee and figured I would piss it away if I waited until I was in my 80s. Second, I wanted to relieve my kids of having to find me a place when I got so old I couldn't handle my own affairs. In retrospect it turned out to be a great financial decision. My front end fee 20 years ago was $65,000. Today the front end fee for a similar Apartment is between $350,000 and $500,000. In addition although my monthly fee has grown from $1,550 to $2,600 due to annual increases the fee if I moved in today would be between $4,500 and $5,000. Not smart. Just dumb luck...

George
@bogey21 - George, I have this image of you with a plan for everything, and everything having a plan - you seem to be that type of person!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For us, we are planning on getting a second home in Florida, probably Naples area, and become snowbirds. We love Colorado too much to move away, but would like to spend winters somewhere warmer. Probably 4-5 years down the road yet, but we are keeping our eye on SW Florida real estate to take advantage of any short-term price reductions.

Kurt
Aren't there places in southern Colorado a bit more pleasant in the winter? Like Durango or Pagosa Springs?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Health issues with the wife's parents brought us back to Arkansas in the late 90's. As much as I despise the weather here (intolerable for over half the year), it has been a port in a storm economically through the ups and downs of the market and real estate crashes. All I know for certain at present is our next move will be to an area at (or above) the 40th parallel OR 6,000 feet of altitude (or above). I'm done with nasty weather from May - Oct.

We've been spending a good bit of time thinking about what we want from our next home and we really could do just fine with a smaller home (we're still in a 2350 sq ft home suitable for a family of five). Our next home needs to have hiking trails out the back door into the mountains....

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

George
My mother did exactly what you did - moved into a CCRC when she was having "no issues" at all and did this w/o consulting any of us kids. She told us that she did want us kids to have to scramble for her care "in a crisis". It was her gift to us. I'm so grateful to her. Now when I visit her, our visits are wonderful mother-daughter visits. I'm not dealing w/her care, caring for her home, etc. You are awesome to do this for your kids.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aren't there places in southern Colorado a bit more pleasant in the winter? Like Durango or Pagosa Springs?
No, the weather is not that different than here close to Denver. I'm not saying that winters here are really that bad (I grew up in northern MN -- much, much colder!), but just getting tired of colder weather in general.

Kurt

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Our business is land-based, so as long as I continue to work, we'll be staying in California. But I admit that I'm getting itchy about leaving my native state to escape the confiscatory tax burden we deal with here, not to mention the endless traffic and overcrowding. There's no doubt California is spectacularly beautiful, but it's also a very expensive place to live. Here are the options we're considering:

• Bend, OR Population of about 80,000. Good climate, with four seasons. Definitely has snow in the winter, so that would be a consideration, but the natural beauty and access to golf, fishing, hiking, and biking is hard to beat. One big downside: Oregon's property taxes are the highest in the Western states.
  • Santa Fe, NM Population of about 80,000. Good climate, with four seasons. We love the Southwest vibe, heavily influenced by the Native American culture. Cost of living is very manageable, especially compared to California.
  • Scottsdale, AZ Housing is relatively expensive--about the same as our part of California--but other living costs are quite reasonable. DW really loves the desert, though I'm not sure I could handle it year-round. But it's a really nice community, very low crime rate, and a ton of things to do to keep me out of trouble :oops:
  • Genoa, NV A small town not far from the south shore of Lake Tahoe. Nice upscale community, housing that is on par with our part of California. The nice thing about Nevada is its affordability--low taxes, utility costs, and nice climate. One big downside: it's fairly isolated, and at least 40 miles from most essential services.
  • Bainbridge Island, WA This very well may the place we land. Located just a few miles west of Seattle, it's a world away from the urban congestion, with a singular beauty of its own. Housing costs are comparable to our part of California, and property taxes are among the highest in the West. But if you can get past that, it's just a lovely area to live and play.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Seems like that might be an ideal use for one of those "tiny homes". Very efficient (for solar power), and would be a turn-key setup. Then if you later decided that the life in the wilderness is not for you, or if you want to stay and build a real cabin, you could just wheel it away and sell it.

Kurt
YES! Every time I see something about a new tiny or cool modular, I tune in. There are some amazing offerings, not everything available in the US (yet?) Near me, there are pre-mod cabin type homes. I could plop down a basic something for under 30k. I would actually like to build a cabin with my own 2 hands.

geekette

Reaction score

Kurt
My neighbors were snowbirds. They eventually quit wanting to come home so I have a new neighbor that is here year round.

geekette

Reaction score
One of the observations about New York that really stayed with me was how remote one can be in upstate New York. I knew the entire state was NOT NYC, Buffalo, etc. but the utter remoteness that New York becomes as one gets closer to the Canadian border is so attractive and beautiful.
I haven't spent near enough time in the NE. Yes, lots of beautiful areas.

geekette

Reaction score
Good for you @geekette!
I feel a lot of what you describe here as a layoff opened wounds that have truly never healed.
Not a layoff, sidelined by illness. I thought I'd be back in 3 weeks. There are entry ramps, but, I keep passing them by as just looking up that road gives me dread. tech can be stressful. ate a lot of my life.