• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How well does your studio unit trade recently?

hsintang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a decline in trading power for your lock-off studio recently specially in peak travel (summer or winter break) seasons?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Studios saw more about 2 years ago. In years before, studios had almost the same trading power of 1br units. I was able to see 3br marriotts with marriott studios a couple of years ago. Now studios mostly see studios and occasionally a 1br in off seasons. Gone were the good ole days that marriott studios saw pretty much anything under marriott preference.

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Peak Season but:
MSE platinum week studio:
2015 October Sabal Palms 2BDR
2014 January Surf Watch 3BDR
Old news but 2010 March Village d'Ile de France 2BDR

I'm happy with my studio trades. I like to travel in the shoulder and off season

Last edited:

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed diminished trading power of my studio units starting a couple of months ago (for instant exchanges). I couldn't see a few 1br instant exchanges that I believe I would have been able to see a year ago under the same circumstances.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Studios are still good for catching the odd II website or trade power glitch. Used a studio to trade in to a 2BR Ocean Pointe week for May of 2016. Though I have found otherwise that studio units trade pretty poorly. Certainly nothing like it was years ago.

Reaction score
A week ago I traded a Shadow Ridge studio (gold season) for Lakeshore Reserve 2-bedroom of a checkin date of Feb 11, 2016 (Presidents Day week). This was an on going request for a studio at Lakeshore Reserve for that week. I'm not sure how I was able to get a 2-bedroom, but I'll take it. :)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Usually withing 60 days you will see more with a studio. I meant that a couple of years ago studios saw 2br marriotts in hawaii 6 months in advance. Not like it is now where you can see the bigger units but it is withing the 60 day window usually.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
A week ago I traded a Shadow Ridge studio (gold season) for Lakeshore Reserve 2-bedroom of a checkin date of Feb 11, 2016 (Presidents Day week). This was an on going request for a studio at Lakeshore Reserve for that week. I'm not sure how I was able to get a 2-bedroom, but I'll take it. :)

EXCELLENT! Lakeshore Reserve is an awesome resort! Enjoy!

Vacation1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last September we were lucky enough to do an instant exchange of our Ocean Pointe studio (silver season) for a 3 BR Imperial Palms first week of April 2016 - we have been pretty lucky with our studio trades (always instant exchanges) - we have gotten 2BR shoulder season Hilton Head, re-traded back into Ocean Pointe for 2 BR. We are quite happy with our trades (so far).

hsintang

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with II and assumed that within 60 day travel window (gataway in RCI is 45 days?) everyone can see the Marriott inventories or Marriott owners still have the priority to see them?
For traveling at peak seasons (no choice until kids go to college), 60 day is almost too short for me to plan the logistics...:ponder:

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
My Grande Vista studio continues to trade well within II. Although, it does take work and I consistently started searching manually to take advantage of the 'retrade' option. My last three studio trades obtained a 2-bedroom Manor Club over July 4th (peak), a 2-bedroom at BeachPlace in mid July, and a 3-bedroom at GrandVista in mid July. All were accomplished prior to the 60 day window. Just booked another GV studio as a honeymoon gift for a family member to a studio in Ko Olina in early Dec. Hoping I can upgrade them to a 1 bedroom if I keep searching.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not familiar with II and assumed that within 60 day travel window (gataway in RCI is 45 days?) everyone can see the Marriott inventories or Marriott owners still have the priority to see them?
For traveling at peak seasons (no choice until kids go to college), 60 day is almost too short for me to plan the logistics...:ponder:

Marriott owners still have priority, but that only applies to new deposits. Of course priority seems to be a moving target. Some deposits carry the priority, some don't. Some have the priority for only a few days and then it drops.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Grande Vista studio continues to trade well within II. Although, it does take work and I consistently started searching manually to take advantage of the 'retrade' option. My last three studio trades obtained a 2-bedroom Manor Club over July 4th (peak), a 2-bedroom at BeachPlace in mid July, and a 3-bedroom at GrandVista in mid July. All were accomplished prior to the 60 day window. Just booked another GV studio as a honeymoon gift for a family member to a studio in Ko Olina in early Dec. Hoping I can upgrade them to a 1 bedroom if I keep searching.

You got great trades with your GVstudio! I have noticed though that my Grande Vista studio (platinum) trades so much better than my gold Aruba Surf Club studio.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We exchanged our Silver season Ocean Pointe unit for a 1 bedroom Summer week at Mountain Valley Lodge in Breckenridge.

Neigther week would be considered a high value exchanger. The Studio Ocean Pointe week was an early December week and the week at MVL is the first of June. Since we enjoy Breckenridge before the summer crowds really start to hit, it was a good exchange for us.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The trading power of my studio units dropped noticeably about three or four weeks ago. I only see studio units in Palm Desert in the summer months. Not even a 1 bedroom. That is very different from the past where I regularly saw 1 and 2 bedroom units. I was able to trade for a studio in Maui (Lahaina and Napili side) in July though, so not all is lost.

I was also able to book a week at NCV for Sept 2016 - booked last summer when the studio units suddenly had amazing trading power - so I am hoping that the current state of things is just a glitch.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

With a little work by checking multiple times daily, I was able to 'retrade' and obtain the 1-bed OV at Ko Olina in December I was searching for. The honeymooners will enjoy that much more than a studio!

Anyone know if Ko Olina keeps the view from an II exchange? They did the first time I was there about 10 yrs ago.

My recommendation for studios. Reserve the highest demand week available. Once you have a confirmed acceptable trade, take advantage of 'retrade' or 'ePlus' and check daily for something better (larger size, different season, different resort, etc).

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Ocean Pointe weeks are still trading well enough to satisfy our needs. To me, that is what's key to your question. "Will the resort and season you choose trade well enough to compete with resorts that have high demand across all their seasons?" Even Ocean Pointe's silver season is high demand. That season was rolled into the Platinum season when Oceana Palms was built. Marriott hadn't anticipated how popular those weeks would be.

If you buy a Marriott week I have name and extension numbers of several favorite II reps if you want.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
With a little work by checking multiple times daily, I was able to 'retrade' and obtain the 1-bed OV at Ko Olina in December I was searching for. The honeymooners will enjoy that much more than a studio!

Anyone know if Ko Olina keeps the view from an II exchange? They did the first time I was there about 10 yrs ago.

My recommendation for studios. Reserve the highest demand week available. Once you have a confirmed acceptable trade, take advantage of 'retrade' or 'ePlus' and check daily for something better (larger size, different season, different resort, etc).

Reported that 'officially' Marriott does not accept requests for preference or honor exchange codes at MKO. Some folks have reported getting the assigned room code. I think it really depends on the season (occupancy) and whether the guest has any Marriott status at all. JMHO.

If I felt I needed to make a request, I'd either call and mention the honeymooners (I'm sure they get that a lot though) or at least ask to avoid the parking structure.

Nice swap!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Agreed. We locked off and deposited our 3BR MGV Gold last year and traded the studio portion back into a 3BR for 2016 July 4th Week. Now, what to do with the 2BR deposit? I like these kinds of decisions. :cool:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
The studio trading power seems to go up and down. On Xmas eve I was able to trade my studio for a Boxing Day 2 br Ko Olina unit but I just saw a 2 br Grand Chateau earlier today, checking in for today and I could only see it with a 1 br.

I don't get it, why would you restrict it the day of check in ? How many people can actually take it ? I would have given up my studio but not a 1 br for it (we're already at another resort currently)

I do notice studios are not able to see 2 br Ko Olina far in advance anymore. I used to get 2 br units months ahead but now, nada. 1 br or studios only until closer to check in

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
After 20 years, our Desert Springs II low season studio still gets us one or two bedroom units in shoulder and high seasons. This is for Marriott and non-Marriott resorts. We will not be switching to the destination program. Still very happy with our Marriott. Happy travels!

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I have 2 studio units, a Marriott (DSV2 White season, which most of your would call a Gold season week) and a Diamond (Sedona Summit). Sedona Summit allows me to select ANY week during the year, so I can reserve the highest demand weeks for trading if I wish.

There is no question that the Marriott studio is a much more powerful trader than the Sedona Summit studio even when I am trading a top demand Sedona week.

I am also usually able to "step up" using the Marriott studio. That means that I can usually get a 1BR Master unit (and sometimes a 2BR) in trade for the studio. But I admit that we tend to travel in the Spring and Fall months when I think demand is a bit lower (because the kids are in school). I am not usually trying to exchange the studio unit for a higher demand Summer week. Summer would be a more difficult trade.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Studios are still good for catching the odd II website or trade power glitch. Used a studio to trade in to a 2BR Ocean Pointe week for May of 2016. Though I have found otherwise that studio units trade pretty poorly. Certainly nothing like it was years ago.

You did get a great trade. We are going to Ocean Pointe in April and I had to give up my 1 bedroom for a 2 bedroom. Could not see the unit with my studio. We didn't even need the 2 bedroom as it is just the 2 of us going. Would have rather traded the studio to a 1 bedroom. Happy to be going though!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
After 20 years, our Desert Springs II low season studio still gets us one or two bedroom units in shoulder and high seasons. This is for Marriott and non-Marriott resorts. We will not be switching to the destination program. Still very happy with our Marriott. Happy travels!

Agree completely. My Shadow Ridge Gold Week has always traded up! I usually grab available inventory. Have only used an On going search once and it was a disaster. Ended up with 2 weeks on 2 Hawaii islands the same week since I didn't see the e mail notice from Interval that the trade went through. My impatience had me making alternate plans and then I I wouldn't cancel the trade.

Offered the extra week to family and friends. My brother agreed to take it first, then a good friend called and wanted it. Lost that friendship when I had to say the week was taken. Hasn't spoken to me since lives in the same neighborhood. Very uncomfortable and it's been 6-7 years.

I prefer to know exactly when where and what I am booking. Makes me sound like a control freak, but half the fun is the hunt and the score when a great vacation is in the planning stages. :ignore:

Have traded to Hawaii multiple times. Best trade was last year traded a 1 bed and a studio for 2 consecutive weeks in a 3 bedroom in St. Marteen Dawn Beach at the Westin. Love St. Marteen wish Marriott would have a timeshare there.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Our Shadow Ridge gold studio trades great as well. Since I have owned I have traded my studio back to a 2BR at Shadow Ridge every year. Then I use the 1BR side for trade ups to 2BRs, usually Hawaii or ski week.