• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to contact Lagunamar about exchange?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have an exchange beginning 10/10 and I'd like to contact the resort. I just talked to Starwood and they don't have an email and 800 number for contacting the resort so I thought you all might have an idea.

We actually have two exchanges for a 1br and a studio with supposedly adjacent room numbers. I want to make sure that we actually get assigned to adjoining rooms so that we can reconnect the 2br unit.

Will Lagunamar give us the rooms on our reservation or should I be worried?

Deb

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contact Us
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort

Physical Address

KM. 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan
Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo.
Cancun 77500
Mexico

Phone: (52)(998) 891 4200
Fax: (52)(998) 891 4201

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have an exchange beginning 10/10 and I'd like to contact the resort. I just talked to Starwood and they don't have an email and 800 number for contacting the resort so I thought you all might have an idea.

You can find the website info. for all resorts in the Owners Resources sticky at the top of the page.

We actually have two exchanges for a 1br and a studio with supposedly adjacent room numbers. I want to make sure that we actually get assigned to adjoining rooms so that we can reconnect the 2br unit.

Will Lagunamar give us the rooms on our reservation or should I be worried?

Deb

Starwood does not guarantee the unit numbers on your confirmation will be the units you get, or that units from 2 separate exchanges will be adjacent to each other. Even for owners, we don't find out our unit numbers until check-in. I would contact the resort ASAP and let them know that you will have small children in the lock-off and that you need the two units to be adjacent. I would call AND Fax so that I had a hard copy of the FAX with me when I checked in.

Did someone TELL you that the two units would definitely be adjacent?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Did someone TELL you that the two units would definitely be adjacent?

The adjacent unit numbers are on my II confirmation. I realize there is no guarantee but I can't think of a reason why they would not honor my request.

I just hate to call because I no longer have an international long distance dialing plan and it will be pricey.

Deb

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
but I can't think of a reason why they would not honor my request.

Have you made a request?

As far as the Starwood computer system is concerned, you hold 2 separate reservations that are not connected in anyway. You are assuming that the units will be automatically connected in the reservation system, and that's not the case. Starwood does bulk space banking so the deposited units are selected by Starwood and are much more of a "pot" of available units, rather than specific weeks deposited by owners. When they assign units, they will fulfill owner's requests and then exchangers. If there are no 2 bedrooms lock-offs left, it's the exchanger who won't get one - plus, they don't even know you want to combine two exchanges. At check in, the units for that day will already have been assigned and as low man on the totem pole, you are much less likely to get moved. If it's important to you that the two units are together, you should contact them. A FAX shouldn't cost that much and if you check the website listed in the Owner Resource Sticky, there is probably an email for the resort as well.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Also, your II confirmation doesn't mean anything. This was recently confirmed by another II exchanger who reported that what was written on her II confirmation was NOT the unit she was assigned.

Pony up the $10 to make an international call and make a request.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Or better yet, just get yourself a $10 international calling card. You will need it there anyway and you'll be very surprised how long they last. DW's family is from Argentina and she talks to them very often. A $10 calling card will last us well over a month!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, your II confirmation doesn't mean anything. This was recently confirmed by another II exchanger who reported that what was written on her II confirmation was NOT the unit she was assigned.

Or use Skype over the internet.

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Email

did you see if SVN/SVO could get you an email address for WLR? hope it works out for you, maybe we'll cross paths on the 17th (day we check in) :banana:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just to update you all... this has been nothing but trouble.

I tried calling the resort directly. The person who answered did not speak English and transferred me to a central reservations office. This man told me I did not have a reservation.

I called II and they would not contact the resort but they did agree to fax my confirmation to the resort.

I called Starwood and asked them to find me someone at the resort who spoke English. After a long wait, I was connected but again told that I didn't have a reservation.

I am now trying to send a fax but the number is continually busy.

I am not a timeshare novice. We have made similar arrangements in the past and have never been put through such turmoil. I will call again tomorrow and, hopefully, they will have the II confirmation in the system by then.

Deb

shawman2000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score
Lagunamar

Why aren't you just reaching out to Interval International and making them confirm this? Make sure you get your contacts name who you speak to.

I suspect you won't have a problem since I believe the entire resort is 2BR Lockouts which is what you have. Just make sure that is the case....

Chris.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a great rep at II but evidently their policy is to NOT make special requests for exchangers. He did fax my confirmations so hopefully that will help.

My fax finally went through too.

I agree that at a resort with all 2BR lockouts, this should be doable. One issue, however, is that our check in date is Friday but we won't be arriving until Saturday morning. So if they mess this up, we won't likely be able to displace other guests.

Deb

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why aren't you just reaching out to Interval International and making them confirm this? Make sure you get your contacts name who you speak to.

Starwood doesn't guarantee the unit on the confirmation, so even if II was willing to contact Starwood, Starwood reserves the right to choose the unit that exchangers are assigned. Even owners can't get this info. in advance when reserving at their home resort!

I suspect you won't have a problem since I believe the entire resort is 2BR Lockouts which is what you have. Just make sure that is the case....

Chris.

That is the whole issue - she doesn't have a 2 bdm. lock-out - she has a 1 bdm. and a studio on two separate confirmations.

Good luck Deb! I hope you get great (adjacent) units and I'm glad you were able to send the FAX.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree that at a resort with all 2BR lockouts, this should be doable. One issue, however, is that our check in date is Friday but we won't be arriving until Saturday morning.

I know hotel reservations will be canceled for no-shows, but what about timeshares? Should they notify the resort that they'll show up on Saturday?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deb, I might also find someone who speaks English and Spanish call on your behalf so that you can communicate your request. We have friends who were traveling in Italy. Apparently in Europe hotel rooms are much smaller and you can't fit a family of 4 like you can in most US hotels. Anyway, they requested adjoining rooms to accomodate the 4 of them, but didn't get them. So her husband ended up sleeping in one room with their son while she slept in another room with her daughter. Luckily it was only for a few nights but it was kind of a stinky way to spend their vacation.

I'm very surprised that Lagunamar doesn't have English speaking front desk clerks. I book internationals arrangements for my managers all the time and I've never encountered a situation where the person answering the phone didn't speak English.

ETA: I missed the part where the fax went thru. That's great. Good luck!!! I think it'll all work out in the end but it's nice to have a fax confirmation.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know hotel reservations will be canceled for no-shows, but what about timeshares? Should they notify the resort that they'll show up on Saturday?

I included that in my fax. I'd feel better if I got some type of response from the resort and I'll try to call again tomorrow or Thursday. Worse case is we have separate rooms and we'll live.

As I said before, I've made similar requests at other resorts as well as requests for room locations, etc. and NEVER has it been this difficult. I'm not impressed so far. I was really hoping that this trip was going to be special so they need to make a big come back! :D

Deb

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm very surprised that Lagunamar doesn't have English speaking front desk clerks. I book internationals arrangements for my managers all the time and I've never encountered a situation where the person answering the phone didn't speak English.

I agree - I've always found English speaking front desk clerks everywhere.

And, wow! I don't speak Spanish (blame the California public school system - and my bad language skills...) so it sounds like I'm going to have fun when I'm there! :hysterical:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
And, wow! I don't speak Spanish (blame the California public school system - and my bad language skills...) so it sounds like I'm going to have fun when I'm there! :hysterical:

At the front desk: Hand them your Starwood Amex, say Gracias, and have them write down your room number.

At the swim up bar: Key-see-er-uh oo-na ser-vay-sa, por fa-vor.

At breakfast: Way-vos ran-cher-os, por fa-vor.

At lunch: Oo-na am-bur-gay-sa, por fa-vor.

At dinner: Key-see-er-uh dos tacos con free-hole-es ee oo-na ser-vay-sa, por fa-vor.

And you're good for the week! :rofl:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And you're good for the week! :rofl:

LOL :hysterical:

Well, at least one of us speaks a bit of Spanish (just not me). Beer and margarita are part of the universal language, methinks...

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd let you know that I got an email response from my fax. I'll report back in another week and let you know how it turned out.

Dear Ms. Brown,

We have received you fax requesting to have adjacent units due to children traveling in your party. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee adjacent or connecting rooms to any of our owners or guests. However, we have added your request to your reservations and we will work around our arrivals to do everything possible to fulfill your request.

We thank you for your understanding and are glad to know that you have chosen The Westin Lagunamar as your next vacation spot.

See you soon,

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I understand why they won't promise anything in advance, but I think they won't have a problem putting the units together given the size of the resort. If you're flexible on other issues (i.e. not requesting a particular floor/view), it should make it easier to put the units together.

We'll look forward to your report--hope you have a great time!

Glorian

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We just returned from our trip. We did get our units connected and the front desk staff and concierges spoke English well. They were constantly busy, however, so maybe that was why it was hard to reach anyone by phone.

A quick report... we were in units 731 and 732. Building 7 was just opened and we were the first occupants. The units are lovely but on the small side. I did notice sloppy workmanship here and there. The area rugs immediately were shedding but maybe as they age, this won't be a problem. I heard complaints about the microwave/convection oven combo but we didn't plan on doing any baking so no problemo.

The infinity pool is absolutely gorgeous. There are very few chairs, however, that are actually poolside or have an unobstructed ocean view. I wonder if there will be issues once the resort is at full occupancy.

We did not go on a sales presentation so I can't share any info in that regard.

Feel free to ask questions!

Deb

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm so glad that you had a good time and that your rooms were adjoining. Also glad that you missed the hurricanes that are once again brewing in the Atlantic.

Thanks for the info about Lagunamar. Perchance was their a swim-up bar?

:)

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad that you had a good time and that your rooms were adjoining. Also glad that you missed the hurricanes that are once again brewing in the Atlantic.

Thanks for the info about Lagunamar. Perchance was their a swim-up bar?

:)

Indeed! There is a palapa restaurant and bar. One side of the bar is a swim-up bar. There is also poolside occasional wait service. (I say occasional but there were very few people there as well.) Luckily - or not - everything can be charged to your room which is quite convenient for the poolside bar. :D

There is free internet service and a nice convenience store with reasonable prices. It's not as good as Walmart but it's also on site. I was disappointed that they didn't have any books or magazines. I lost my book on our Chitzen Itza tour and could not find a single book, English or Spanish, in any of the nearby stores. If anyone is an owner and has the opportunity, recommend that they stock a few novels in the store. With all the pool time, I can't believe I'm the only person who'd be looking for a book.

Deb