• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to cancel Westgate resorts timeshare on time!!!!

LYanez

Reaction score
I was recently on a vacation in Tennessee when we were offered a $150 value in ticket for an attraction for a 90 minute "tour" of the resort. Fast forward 6 hours later and I feel like they bullied us into buying a timeshare. After extensive research I've came to the conclusion that this was a huge mistake! So I need help to get out of this. I have the CD where all the information is in but unfortunately I can't see it because my MacBook doesn't take CDs. I am going to the library tomorrow to see it.
I know I have to type up a simple letter and mail it to the resort, and also send back the tablet and portfolio but do I have to send back copies of all the other paper offers they gave us? For example they gave us 2 different vouchers for 2 separate weeks at their resort.
Also, for the down payment they made me open a credit card with the resort to be able to pay the deposit with that card, will I be getting this back and do I need to include this in the letter?
Please help me I'm a nervous wreck!!!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The vouchers will likely be cancelled anyway, but why not toss them in with the other stuff. Just send everything back except for a copy of your contract or anything else you signed.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Don't send the credit card back. That likely won't be closed but just refunded.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I was recently on a vacation in Tennessee when we were offered a $150 value in ticket for an attraction for a 90 minute "tour" of the resort. Fast forward 6 hours later and I feel like they bullied us into buying a timeshare. After extensive research I've came to the conclusion that this was a huge mistake! So I need help to get out of this. I have the CD where all the information is in but unfortunately I can't see it because my MacBook doesn't take CDs. I am going to the library tomorrow to see it.
I know I have to type up a simple letter and mail it to the resort, and also send back the tablet and portfolio but do I have to send back copies of all the other paper offers they gave us? For example they gave us 2 different vouchers for 2 separate weeks at their resort.
Also, for the down payment they made me open a credit card with the resort to be able to pay the deposit with that card, will I be getting this back and do I need to include this in the letter?

Welcome to TUG
RESCIND NOW .

there is TUG information on how to do this.
There are threads on Westgate and how to rescind. / use search. function in the toolbar

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Tennessee has a 10 day rescission period.

LYanez

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG
RESCIND NOW .

there is TUG information on how to do this.
There are threads on Westgate and how to rescind. / use search. function in the toolbar
Oh yes! Ive read multiple of them, I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything I am suppose to so that I don't mess anything up. Most of them just said to send a letter by mail and send back all things we got from them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also see this thread;

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I was recently on a vacation in Tennessee .....

Think of it as returning clothes to a retailer after you tried them on at home.
Follow the rules. Westgate is legally obligated to follow them as well.

once your done -
TUG has a couple of rental forums. Timeshares resort units have more space and amenities,
stick around & read and learn.

LYanez

Reaction score
Think of it as returning clothes to a retailer after you tried them on at home.
Follow the rules. Westgate is legally obligated to follow them as well.

once your done -
TUG has a couple of rental forums. Timeshares resort units have more space and amenities,
stick around & read and learn.
Thanks for all your help!

LYanez

Reaction score
Is this a good letter? I keep reading it and it sounds confusing to me?

I, NAME, am writing to exercise my legal right of rescission of the contract, per state law, in the purchase of the time share purchased on March 21st, 2021 at the Westgate Resort in Gatlinburg Tennessee. I am terminating my contract effective immediately. I will be returning the owners book, all documents included with it and the tablet gifted at time of purchase in another shipment that will be mailed at the same time as this letter.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a good letter? I keep reading it and it sounds confusing to me?

I, NAME, am writing to exercise my legal right of rescission of the contract, per state law, in the purchase of the time share purchased on March 21st, 2021 at the Westgate Resort in Gatlinburg Tennessee. I am terminating my contract effective immediately. I will be returning the owners book, all documents included with it and the tablet gifted at time of purchase in another shipment that will be mailed at the same time as this letter.
I think you should include COPIES of the signature page of the contract for ID purposes. They can match up the signatures and contract number for verification. Send the whole mess USPS Certified mail with returned receipt, so you'll know when it was delivered and you'll know to whom.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

LYanez

Reaction score
Last question, Ive been reading other posts and can't find an answer.
Do I need to send any paper copies of anything from the CD? I am going to send a copy of the proposal but do I need to send on of the warranty deed or anything else?
Oh and also, how do I send the portfolio and tablet through the mail? Do I send it like any other package? priority? insurance in case it gets lost?

LYanez

Reaction score
I think you should include COPIES of the signature page of the contract for ID purposes. They can match up the signatures and contract number for verification. Send the whole mess USPS Certified mail with returned receipt, so you'll know when it was delivered and you'll know to whom.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim
Hey Jim! thanks! So do I send the portfolio and tablet USPS certified too?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Jim! thanks! So do I send the portfolio and tablet USPS certified too?
No. If the tablet was a gift for attending the presentation, keep it. The portfolio, send back by cheapest means. Put the phrase in your letter, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover." It's up to you whether to include the tablet.

LYanez

Reaction score
No. If the tablet was a gift for attending the presentation, keep it. The portfolio, send back by cheapest means. Put the phrase in your letter, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover." It's up to you whether to include the tablet.
Thanks again Jim! They did not specify if the tablet was a gift for attending the presentation or not, should I keep it or send it in case they try to use that again me and not cancel my contract?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Jim! They did not specify if the tablet was a gift for attending the presentation or not, should I keep it or send it in case they try to use that again me and not cancel my contract?
They won't cancel your contract. The people in the business office in Ocoee, FL don't know or care if you've returned anything.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be sure that any buyer who signed the original agreement also signs the rescission agreement. Be sure to send it via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL and be sure to retain the Postmarked copy of the mailing receipt.

@Grammarhero of TUG tracks how much you saved by rescinding..... Do you mind disclosing your purchase price for his records?

Just think, what you paid thousands for can be purchased on the resale market for as little as one dollar, so you made a good move to rescind.

Welcome to TUG.

LYanez

Reaction score
Just be sure that any buyer who signed the original agreement also signs the rescission agreement. Be sure to send it via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL and be sure to retain the Postmarked copy of the mailing receipt.

@Grammarhero of TUG tracks how much you saved by rescinding..... Do you mind disclosing your purchase price for his records?

Just think, what you paid thousands for can be purchased on the resale market for as little as one dollar, so you made a good move to rescind.

Welcome to TUG.

Not sure how much info you need but the total amount was around $10K, 17% interest for 10 years.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> I know I have to type up a simple letter and mail it to the resort <snip>

As a point of clarification / correction, your rescission (cancellation) correspondence should not be sent back to the resort in TN.
You need to send your rescission to their corporate offices (Westgate Resorts, 2801 Old Winter Garden Road, Ocoee, FL 34761).

Don't know what to say about returning the "gift", except that it should not be included with your USPS certified mail rescission.
I seem to recall reports of Westgate charging rescinding buyers $150 for failure to return a tablet and / or owners' binder material. Personally, I would pack up every last bit of that stuff and send it all back in a separate mailing, using the cheapest postal rate available --- but that's your call. :shrug:

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Do not send the Credit Card back. Call the number on the back and cancel.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the CD should give the address for the rescission letter. It can be but doesn’t have to be certified. The instructions may say to send it return receipt requested. YOU need to get and keep a receipt that the letter was mailed in time. It doesn’t matter when it actually arrives.
I‘m so happy you figured out the truth in time. And that 17% bites.