• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How is this allowed?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our country is being systematically destroyed.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no words to describe the horror and disgust I feel...

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
??
the article describes sexual abuse in Afghanistan, not the US

We must not have not read the same article. Many blamed Paterno in the Penn St scandal and rightly so. And one could say the same principles apply to this matter.

I've actually had conversations with other military members that have served in Afghanistan and they have reported the exact same type of the stories. The problem is rampant over there.

Brett

Reaction score
We must not have not read the same article. Many blamed Paterno in the Penn St scandal and rightly so. And one could say the same principles apply to this matter.

I've actually had conversations with other military members that have served in Afghanistan and they have reported the exact same type of the stories. The problem is rampant over there.

I guess not!

Old Joe is now being blamed for Afghanistan!
And the Pentagon says they aren't at fault !

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/w...tion-over-afghans-rape-of-boys.html?ref=world

"Rampant problems" and the "US being systematically destroyed" -- maybe someone will even blame the Pope!

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Rampant problems" and the "US being systematically destroyed" -- maybe someone will even blame the Pope!

Here's a source from Time magazine (from 2008) that discusses the same issue. Keep digging a hole for yourself though. You're trying to be funny, but just coming across as "uninformed" about a serious subject (and that's using the adjective lightly and me playing nice here).

Afghanistan's Epidemic of Child Rape

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1833517,00.html

Another source:

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/brinkley/article/Afghanistan-s-dirty-little-secret-3176762.php

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
am1, I'm confused by your question. How is what allowed?

If you're asking why we're not preventing Afghanis from molesting children, I'd say it's because that's not our mission. Of course that sounds completely awful but it's a sad and true fact of war that sometimes you have to turn a blind eye to the cultural norms of your allies - even if they're despicable - when you've invaded their country.

If you're asking why our servicemen and women can be legally/militarily punished for acts against those who would perform these actions, again it's sad and true that soldiers are held to strict standards of what they can and cannot do during war. As much as it pains our servicemen and women to see these and other acts against humanity perpetrated by our allies, they can't take actions that might undercut the positions in which we place our allies.

I just hope our soldiers were prepared for what they would be seeing over there, because it's a fair bet that this isn't the only thing that would completely offend our sensibilities.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We must not have not read the same article. Many blamed Paterno in the Penn St scandal and rightly so. And one could say the same principles apply to this matter. ...

Hmmmm. How so? Paterno aided and abetted a pedophile who was performing in a venue in which Paterno had the power and responsibility to stop that performance. Are you saying that the CIC in Afghanistan has or should have that same power and moral imperative?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. How so? Paterno aided and abetted a pedophile who was performing in a venue in which Paterno had the power and responsibility to stop that performance. Are you saying that the CIC in Afghanistan has or should have that same power and moral imperative?

Again, we must not have read the same article. The article states that the soldier heard the abuse from his bunk and the boys were brought to the base. You don't think the military has any power and responsibility there? Wow.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again, we must not have read the same article. The article states that the soldier heard the abuse from his bunk and the boys were brought to the base. You don't think the military has any power and responsibility there? Wow.

No, I'm saying I don't know what the command structure is over there, on base or off. I don't know how much power American commanders are actually giving our allies, on base or off.

But it wouldn't be a surprise to find out that we're acceding many items to our allies because that's our mission - to aid and assist them in taking over control of their country. We didn't go over there to install American law or vigilante justice.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a very tough call, I'll definitely agree to that. I'm not saying how we should respond, because I don't have those answers. At the least we should have control of our bases over there. But you asked how my Paterno example applied to this and I explained it.

It would be tough to say how any of us would respond in the same circumstances. But, read the article closely. The soldiers that actually had the courage to take a stand suffered greatly.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a very tough call, I'll definitely agree to that. I'm not saying how we should respond, because I don't have those answers. At the least we should have control of our bases over there. But you asked how my Paterno example applied to this and I explained it.

It would be tough to say how any of us would respond in the same circumstances. But, read the article closely. The soldiers that actually had the courage to take a stand suffered greatly.

I did read it, that's why I mentioned that soldiers are held to strict standards despite their moral codes. This is a particularly awful situation but where does the line get drawn when it comes to soldiers performing counter to their orders? You have to hope for leniency in the punishment phase, I guess, because condoning acts counter to wartime orders is a dangerous thing.

Brett

Reaction score
Again, we must not have read the same article. Wow.

Yes, you must have read a different article !
(or several articles)

that article is about the military not doing anything about the sexual abuse by Afghanistan warlords (which the Pentagon denies).

And you think that article explains "why the United States is being systematically destroyed" ?

double wow

geekette

Reaction score
And you think that article explains "why the United States is being systematically destroyed" ?

double wow

Yeah, I'm not seeing the US destruction.

I've never been military but seems to me we are guests in countries we occupy, US law does not apply on site.

I find it much more appalling that here at home we have ongoing sex trafficking. Hard to ask how it happens on a military base so far away without also asking how it is allowed to happen at home.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the police in the US are not accepting it as common practice and turning a blind eye. Hopefully the ones that report it do not get punished. To me that is the difference.

Why are we fighting over there when are "allies" do such horrible things. How are these kids suppose to feel when the US military does not help?

Having two boys I would not stand for it no matter what the consequences.

The world will always have evil people but when good people do not do anything about it is when it is the time to worry.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the US destruction.

I've never been military but seems to me we are guests in countries we occupy, US law does not apply on site.

I find it much more appalling that here at home we have ongoing sex trafficking. Hard to ask how it happens on a military base so far away without also asking how it is allowed to happen at home.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you must have read a different article !
(or several articles)

that article is about the military not doing anything about the sexual abuse by Afghanistan warlords (which the Pentagon denies).

double wow

You're misinformed again. I didn't make the comment about the US being systematically destroyed. I'll let that person defend themselves on that.

You chose to poke fun at my argument about child rape being rampant over there, so let's be clear about that. I get a chance to talk to college students that have served in Afghanistan, and this is one issue that they have discussed. I've heard it several times, so then I also provided references to back it up. You can choose what you want to believe and you can choose to mock what you like.

Brett

Reaction score
You're misinformed again.

you're reading the same "misinformation" !

if the article had said US military generals were now sexually abusing boys and the military ignored it and claimed it was the "religion" or culture than sure, that would be a "rampant problem" in the US.

(Which some say was a problem years ago in the priesthood)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is your reply to my post regarding military members reporting that child rape is a rampant problem over there. If you feel you're being misinterpreted here then please explain it further. I'm willing to let it go, but please don't try to divert the topic.

Brett

Reaction score
This is your reply to my post regarding military members reporting that child rape is a rampant problem over there. If you feel you're being misinterpreted here then please explain it further. I'm willing to let it go, but please don't try to divert the topic.

you seemed to agree with the other poster that the problems in Afghanistan were similar to the US

it's a different situation!

(and once again, the US military says it does not agree with the accusations)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
you seemed to agree with the other poster that the problems in Afghanistan were similar to the US

Again, misinformation. Go ahead and support this statement with a quote from my posts that says I supported the other poster in that statement.

Brett

Reaction score
Again, misinformation. Go ahead and support this statement with a quote from my posts that says I supported the other poster in that statement.

hmm... well .... not sure about the "rampant problems" and the "same principles"
and old Joe Paterno problem years ago

culture?
Religion?

different conclusions from (supposedly) the exact same article !

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmm... well .... not sure about the "rampant problems" and the "same principles"
and old Joe Paterno problem years ago

I can see how you could interpret it that way now, thanks for clarifying. Yes, I do feel that someone, somewhere in our military has the power and moral authority to prevent this activity from occurring on our bases over there. That's all I'm saying with the Paterno example. Sorry everyone for the multiple posts on this, I'm done.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you're reading the same "misinformation" !

if the article had said US military generals were now sexually abusing boys and the military ignored it and claimed it was the "religion" or culture than sure, that would be a "rampant problem" in the US.

(Which some say was a problem years ago in the priesthood)

Um, "some say" is questionable in this context. It was proven, many times over. ;)

Aside from that, you and Ace actually agree that what's being done by Afghan nationals over there to young children doesn't/shouldn't lead to the statement that, "our country is being systematically destroyed," because it's not Americans who are performing those acts.

Where you may disagree, although I can't quite figure out if you actually do, is in the statement that what's happening there is a "rampant" problem.

Brett

Reaction score
Um, "some say" is questionable in this context. It was proven, many times over. ;)

Aside from that, you and Ace actually agree that what's being done by Afghan nationals over there to young children doesn't/shouldn't lead to the statement that, "our country is being systematically destroyed," because it's not Americans who are performing those acts.

Where you may disagree, although I can't quite figure out if you actually do, is in the statement that what's happening there is a "rampant" problem.

right, the "rampant problem" is over there, not here. I was responding to the other poster when "Ace" claimed I was not reading the same article.

And I believe the sexual abuse problems in Afghanistan are not similar to any current problems in the US. There is a very different culture and religion between the US and Afghanistan. maybe in some ways sexual abuse that was in the Catholic priesthood are similar to other sexual abuse problems reported worldwide