• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How is "school at home" going? Kids? Teachers?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Have anyone asked the students about learning from home oppose to going to school daily?

I work with children and families. Most seem to prefer in person schooling even if they are not doing it. Kids especially miss the social aspects of school.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is a sad article. It is another example of why I have lost respect for the public school system and enrolled my daughter in a private school.

Why is the elephant afraid of the mouse? Your child’s teacher may not know, but his union does. In September the National Education Association, America’s largest labor union, produced an internal “opposition report” on Prenda, a tiny Arizona-based “microschool” provider. I obtained a copy of the document, which picks apart Prenda’s vulnerabilities but also offers a warning: “The Opposition Report has documented widespread support for micro-schools.” Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is expected to receive a presentation about Prenda on Thursday at a charter school in Phoenix.

Midway between home schools and private schools, microschools bring together a small group of students, five to 10 a school at Prenda, usually at a private residence. Instruction is handled by an education-service provider like Prenda.

The company had been growing before the pandemic, but since February it has more than quadrupled the number of students it serves. After U.S. schools shut down or moved online, parents—one-third of them, according to a September EdChoice poll—joined with neighbors to form learning “pods.” A much smaller number withdrew from traditional school altogether. Today Prenda administers around 400 microschools educating more than 3,000 students, says chief executive Kelly Smith.

The NEA opposition report cites an expert who thinks microschools can “address some of the structural limitations of homeschooling,” such as parents’ work obligations, and—this is Prenda’s innovation—take advantage of school-choice programs to “alleviate some equity issues” posed by the cost of hiring your own teachers. The combination could make home education feasible for millions more families. (The NEA didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment.)....

.....It’s a strange pitch from the teachers union: Microschools are dangerous—they help their students learn more! This seems like a reason to broaden access, not restrict it. And that’s what Prenda has done by eliminating tuition: make microschools accessible to low-income families. The NEA report doesn’t address that point.

.....But the company says 92% of it, on average, goes to teachers, who earn 10% to 20% more than at their prior teaching positions.....

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This pandemic has certainly demonstrated that the teachers unions' goals are not focused on providing the best possible education for students. :mad:

Kurt

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This pandemic has certainly demonstrated that the teachers unions' goals are not focused on providing the best possible education for students. :mad:

Kurt
As nearly as I can gather, a key argument against "microschools" and "pods" is that it will provide disparate learning opportunities for children, because it will be easier for wealthier families to provide these opportunities.

When you unpack this argument, what it amounts to is that as a society we are better off having uniformly poor education than to have some students receiving a better education than other students.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As nearly as I can gather, a key argument against "microschools" and "pods" is that it will provide disparate learning opportunities for children, because it will be easier for wealthier families to provide these opportunities.

When you unpack this argument, what it amounts to is that as a society we are better off having uniformly poor education than to have some students receiving a better education than other students.

It makes no sense to me to keep the public schools shut down, then accuse others who are willing to expose themselves and their kids to the virus of having unfair educational opportunities.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is virtual learning achieving educational goals for students. Will Americans students behind in education; especially in mathematics and the sciences ?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

For months, as New York City struggled to start part-time, in-person classes, fear grew that its 1,800 public schools would become vectors of coronavirus infection, a citywide archipelago of super-spreader sites.

But nearly three weeks into the in-person school year, early data from the city’s first effort at targeted testing has shown the opposite: a surprisingly small number of positive cases.

Out of 15,111 staff members and students tested randomly by the school system in the first week of its testing regimen, the city has gotten back results for 10,676. There were only 18 positives: 13 staff members and five students....

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

For months, as New York City struggled to start part-time, in-person classes, fear grew that its 1,800 public schools would become vectors of coronavirus infection, a citywide archipelago of super-spreader sites.

But nearly three weeks into the in-person school year, early data from the city’s first effort at targeted testing has shown the opposite: a surprisingly small number of positive cases.

Out of 15,111 staff members and students tested randomly by the school system in the first week of its testing regimen, the city has gotten back results for 10,676. There were only 18 positives: 13 staff members and five students....
Good news until it hits the fan. Not just the schools but getting the kids to school.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The choice the US ended up with was inequitable health outcomes vs inequitable educational outcomes. It didn't have to be this way, but it is. In a more rural county in NC, a teacher here has died from in-person schooling. That, plus the third wave, has meant that some of the larger, local systems in my part of the state have decided to further delay in-person school openings.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
The choice the US ended up with was inequitable health outcomes vs inequitable educational outcomes. It didn't have to be this way, but it is. In a more rural county in NC, a teacher here has died from in-person schooling. That, plus the third wave, has meant that some of the larger, local systems in my part of the state have decided to further delay in-person school openings.
What do you mean “a teacher has died from in person schooling “?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Principal at our private Catholic school was critical of the public schools and teachers unions. She said the teachers at our school are asking why they have to teach in person when the teachers at the public schools are working from home in their pajamas for a few hours a day. The Principal said it’s because they love their students and teaching is a ministry for them.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just saw this small sign on a yellow school bus. One student per seat.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A teacher contracted COVID-19 and died, and, while of course not 100% certain, contact tracing points to her having contracted it through the school.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
A teacher contracted COVID-19 and died, and, while of course not 100% certain, contact tracing points to her having contracted it through the school.
If this is who you are referring to it sounds like the thought is she did not contract at school

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My poor Italian professor at the college has only, at most, had 4 students show up at a time in the classroom which is supposed to be on a rotation of 10 students in while the rest of the students attend on Zoom. Today she had none in the classroom which has been happening more frequently. The kids don't really want to go to the classroom. They're happy to roll out of bed and turn on the computer rather than get dressed and go out.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
My poor Italian professor at the college has only, at most, had 4 students show up at a time in the classroom which is supposed to be on a rotation of 10 students in while the rest of the students attend on Zoom. Today she had none in the classroom which has been happening more frequently. The kids don't really want to go to the classroom. They're happy to roll out of bed and turn on the computer rather than get dressed and go out.

I wonder why that doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Students needs to learn self discipline. IMHO.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Week 8 next week and we have had 2 children and 4 adults who have contracted Covid. None so far was at school. Our SD has opened up additional on campus time for SPED children. Still no buses but just happy we are not seeing an outbreak. Btw, almost 100% compliance for students mask wearing which is huge in elementary. Plexiglass around desk, In room air filters, lots of hand washing and hybrid schedule is working. Hopefully we will go back FT in late January

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I think the kids are being *really cautious.* All of my daughter's peer group is taking this very seriously. They want to go back to school in person, and they know this is what it will take. I have not seen that same behavior from the college kids I interact with and teach.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
4th grader walks to school in order to use WIFI to be taught online

Richard